• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Criminal Girls 2: Party Favors announced for US/EU September 20/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmario

Since you’re here, you probably know that we are bringing Criminal Girls 2: Party Favors to North America and Europe for the PS Vita this September. As with the first game in the series, some of the content will be changed to accommodate this international release. Since this can be an issue for some, I want to give you some insight into our process and exactly what’s changing so you can make an informed decision.

1 - Redrawn art.
We had a bit more time to work on this title. We didn’t want to make any alterations to the game that would be jarring to the experience or feel “off,” so we worked with the original artist of the game who redrew the art for the Motivation scenes that might have caused issues due to their explicit nature. We didn’t want the game experience to change though, so we are also investing the extra effort into incorporating Criminal Girls 2: Party Favors’s unique Live 2D effect into the new art.

2 - Terminology changes.
As with the first in the series, Criminal Girls: Invite Only, “Punishment” will be framed as “Motivation,” and other terminology changes from the first game will also apply here. There may be a few other translation changes as well. This reduces the power distance between the player character and the girls in the Reformation Program and makes the activities of the game more consensual.

3 - No native language dialogue.
Like with Criminal Girls: Invite Only, we will not be dubbing the game in English. The game’s text will be in English, but the spoken dialogue will be the original Japanese voice track.

4 - No Motivation scene dialogue.
Some of this could cause an issue with power distance, or perceived consent of the activities of the game. This dialogue also represented a technical challenge to localization, because there are no subtitles. Thus, another reason this dialogue was removed was to avoid a situation of no text to accompany several lines of untranslated Japanese being spoken.

Source

image in the source is NSFW so be careful when clicking it

Quonny

Having played the original, I have no issues with them removing anything questionable. It's a fun RPG with a pretty interesting combat system.

Kinda wish it wasn't so lewd so that more people would give it a chance.

JPS Kai

The combat system from the first one was interesting, where the heroines told you what moves they felt like doing for the first part of the game. I'm curious to see how the battles go in this one.

Corpekata

Banned
They should just own up to their creepy molesty game, it's not like anyone that has a problem with that is going to buy the game.

Warxard

Banned
Criminal Girls is probably one of the more mediocre RPGs I've played in a while.

It sucks that mediocre RPGs get localized before cooler shit.

Didnt think they would bother with another one. I might get this but probably never play it though if it becomes rare like Ar Nosurge collectors ed. became.

Criminal Girls is probably one of the more mediocre RPGs I've played in a while.

It sucks that mediocre RPGs get localized before cooler shit.

Which RPG that NISA could localize would you prefer?

I doubt this game takes any localization time away from other potential NISA projects. It's not like there's a ton out there atm.

Already leaked over a month ago from Amazon Germany. The best source for NIS America release dates.

The changes are disappointing. But better this way instead of an unreleased game.

Kudo

Shame that they still continue this kind of censorship, but I guess it has it's own fans.

It's already banned since the first one was, and this is part of the same series, This thread will likely be locked soon.

I would assume this being the case too but I haven't seen mod state about it, maybe it's game by game?
Guess we'll hear about it soon enough.

It's already banned since the first one was, and this is part of the same series, This thread will likely be locked soon.
I know, thus why I said "countdown".

They should just own up to their creepy molesty game, it's not like anyone that has a problem with that is going to buy the game.
Pretty much. The "No Motivation scene dialogue." is the only change I kinda agree with since that area is a slippy slope over here. I do believe they could have gotten away without redrawing the art.

Oh awe-

*reads post*

...some. Same changes as the first game, but maybe a little further with the redrawn art. Hopefully it's just one or two and not all of it. Sigh.

prudislav

not really surprised about the changes ... too bad for no jpn dialogs and art though
BTW: any news what happened to steam port of first game?? I remember i being announced fo April .. but its June and still no info

Jebusman

Banned
I get why the original was banned from here, as much as I disagree with the idea of any game being "offlimits" from a discussion, but I don't see why we have to auto assume this one will get banned as well when it seems like they are going out of their way to try and address some of the issues people had.

It's always going to be a pervy game, but that in and of itself shouldn't be the reason we can't discuss it.

18-Volt

Which RPG that NISA could localize would you prefer?

I doubt this game takes any localization time away from other potential NISA projects. It's not like there's a ton out there atm.

Actually Hero Must Die is a more deserving JRPG than this, critics have praised its new twist (it got a surprising 35 from Famitsu).

But, as I understand, NISA is localizing every in-house games right now, as Steam porting is a thing for them now.

I get why the original was banned from here, as much as I disagree with the idea of any game being "offlimits" from a discussion, but I don't see why we have to auto assume this one will get banned as well when it seems like they are going out of their way to try and address some of the issues people had.

Those are the rules. The questionable content that got the first game banned is not being removed.

based on a quick google search i suspect this will get rightfully banned here on gaf

J9sha8R.jpg

wtf these games are vile

Jebusman

Banned
It's as if they think their game will sell to another demographic with these changes.

No, they expect the exact same demographic to buy the game. It's just what they need to do to actually get it released over here at all. I'd imagine they figure the cross section of "People who want to play this game" and "People who won't bother importing" is large enough to justify a localization, and getting an AO rating is the kiss of death for a game so they have no real choice but to change whatever they can.

Ryuukan

"Untie these girls"

"Make sure the players don't understand what the girls are screaming"

-typical NISA localization job

AniHawk

"Untie these girls"

"Make sure the players don't understand what the girls are screaming"

-typical NISA localization job

the content of the game is extremely demeaning to women, to the point where the esrb was going to rate it above an m rating. this is something that doesn't fly if you're a platform holder, retailer, or most publishers. the result would be a game that didn't exist if not for these changes.

nisa usually doesn't make edits like this to games. in fact the only ones they've done it for are two criminal girls games and two mugen souls games, and specifically the parts where there are these girl-touching 'minigames'. let's not pretend that this is part of a bigger pattern.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Who is going to be the first to like or share this thread?

How soon would a thread OT for Rance/Alicesoft be banned?

Tohsaka

the content of the game is extremely demeaning to women, to the point where the esrb was going to rate it above an m rating. this is something that doesn't fly if you're a platform holder, retailer, or most publishers. the result would be a game that didn't exist if not for these changes.

nisa usually doesn't make edits like this to games. in fact the only ones they've done it for are two criminal girls games and two mugen souls games, and specifically the parts where there are these girl-touching 'minigames'. let's not pretend that this is part of a bigger pattern.

Were they? It says in the article they made the changes before submitting it to be rated.

I think the blog explains it very well. It seems like people complaining don't understand the reason for the changes, which seem reasonable to me.
And I'm usually very anti "censorship"
Were they? It says in the article they made the changes before submitting it to be rated.

8. Isn’t it possible that the game would have received an M from the ESRB, no changes necessary?
From our experience and the conversations we’ve had with ratings boards about the content, it is extremely unlikely that the game would have received an M (and equivalent) rating. Unfortunately, it is so unlikely that we cannot take that risk as a company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom