• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cringeworthy things you've seen gamers in person do?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I walked into a classroom the other day and this dude was praising the god awful Shadow the hedgehog intro as something that was incredibly badass. You can imagine my reaction after I asked what was up with that? And he went on a long rant about how Shadow is some deep character that many people don't understand.

EDIT:To go more indepth, the guy despite comments from others was very loudly playing the intro and went on a long rant in front of everyone, (trying to complete work mind you), about how well written the characters were.

For an actual answer: During the Smash Bros. Brawl pre-release tournament at a local Gamestop, one person had to fight a computer-controlled opponent because of an uneven number of participants.. Someone asked "What level is the CPU?" Someone answered "It's over 9000!"

No one laughed. some just clapped.

JJH

I saw someone eating miracle whip out of a jar with a spoon at Gamestop once. Haven't been in a Gamestop since.

Crossing Eden

Calling out others for liking something.
Cringing at perfectly normal thing.
Not exactly that. It was more the long diatribe he went onto calling the attention of everyone who was present about a really edgy character. Personally I have no issue if someone enjoys stuff like the sonic series but a long rant on how great a character like Shadow is in front of a lot of people trying to work?

I walked into a classroom the other day and this dude who's way too old was genuinely unironically praising the god awful Shadow the hedgehog intro as something that was incredibly badass. You can imagine my reaction after I asked what was up with that? And he went on a long rant about how Shadow is some deep character that many people don't understand.

I feel like this is more of a "Weird Sonic Fan" thing, the series attracts some of the most peculiar people I've ever met. That isn't to say all sonic fans are like that, just that their most extreme fans go a little deeper down the rabbit hole than others.

Girlfriend and I saw a guy at EB Games reach into his pants to scratch his junk, then continue inspecting games in the bargain bin. Absolutely horrific.

yaffi

A lot of threads created on here could be considered pretty cringeworthy.

So, I see gamers/topic starters opening cringeworthy threads in person, I guess?

Now this is something I don't get. Neogaf is meant to be a place of love & respect yet this topic is based around making fun of people. The fuck is this? Seriously, leave people the fuck alone, let them like what they like, do what they do and be who they are. As long as it's not hurting anybody else.

When the gamecube first came out I was in toys r us and some random teens shouted out "ahh nintendo makes shitty kid games". Bear in mind these were older teens in a toy r us store.

bjork

Girlfriend and I saw a guy at EB Games reach into his pants to scratch his junk, then continue inspecting games in the bargain bin. Absolutely horrific.

We had a lady come in at the anime shop and use the edge of our counter to scratch. Now, I've seen videos of ladies using tables corners to pleasure themselves, but I'm positive it wasn't that.

Though, I did catch a homeless guy masturbating to a hentai box one time, so maybe she was. What do I know.

Raptor

Now this is something I don't get. Neogaf is meant to be a place of love & respect yet this topic is based around making fun of people. The fuck is this? Seriously, leave people the fuck alone, let them like what they like, do what they do and be who they are. As long as it's not hurting anybody else.

In a gamers forum no less lol.

stilgar

I've seen some kid crying and throwing his joypad because he couldn't win against Sagat at SF II.

Oh right, it was me

Crossing Eden

The typical Gamergaters are live right now here on http://hewillnotdivide.us/ teaching people how to make nooses
The fuck?

Defend microtransactions in a non-FTP game... so hard not to cringe.
This is debatable considering inflating budgets due to increased fidelity and the price of games not going up.

Edited the OP.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
A lot of threads created on here could be considered pretty cringeworthy.

Especially the ridiculous Switch topics we're seeing. Although I'm still waiting for...

- How did your pet react to the Switch reveal?

- Switch has a power button. Would you have preferred a slide style power switch?

- What colored joycons do you hope to see released first?

- Theory: Zelda and Urban Champion are in the same universe!

- Which screen protector are you buying for your Switch?

- What do you think the Switch will smell like?

timberger

How dare he?

Lets not kid ourselves here.

ViolentP

Disliking something for artistic reasons and being labeled a homophobe for it. That one is always fun to see.

You ever been here before?

In English class, when I was fresh into school at the age of 12 years old, we all had to write a short speech about something we liked, and speak it to the whole class.

Being of that age, I decided to do my talk on
Broly
. I can only imagine the insurmountable amount of cringe I inflicted on the class that day, but then, I was blind to it.

RedFury

Disliking something for artistic reasons and being labeled a homophobe for it. That one is always fun to see.
Actually called a homophobe or gay? I still hear people use gay as a derogatory term and that is cringe worthy (used to hear it alot at arcades). Like oh that's "gay" after a death, etc.

I used to run official Pokemon tournaments (its all sanctioned and you get prizes and points to go to higher competitions) and this guy used to come, claimed he had women 'eating out of the palm of his hand' and constantly bragging shit about his sexual prowess in front of the younger kids we had attending league sessions and tournaments and that.

We had a new girl show up, which was kinda rare, she was real nice and real good at the game and all. Bragging guy was paired up against her in round 3 or whatever, she beat him easy, and he fucking exploded 'I DIDN'T GET BEAT BY A GIRL SHE CHEATED, FUCKING BITCH' I was getting in telling him to call down or he'd be getting disqualified, but he was going mad. She very gracefully agreed to redo the match to placate him, she beat him again, and he was fucking bouncing off the walls 'FUCKING SLIMY BITCH, SHE WAS FLASHING HER TITS AT ME DISTRACTING ME SHE SHOULD BE DISQUALIFIED' And in the end, he was disqualified and we never saw him again.

Thats top of my list.

Sakujou

Banned
I walked into a classroom the other day and this dude was praising the god awful Shadow the hedgehog intro as something that was incredibly badass. You can imagine my reaction after I asked what was up with that? And he went on a long rant about how Shadow is some deep character that many people don't understand.

EDIT:To go more indepth, the guy despite comments from others was very loudly playing the intro and went on a long rant in front of everyone, (trying to complete work mind you), about how well written the characters were.

what year is this?

ironmang

I-dont-believe-you.gif

Platy

Not wanting to sell the game the consumer wanted to buy just because of the consumer's presumed genitals

Raptor

I used to run official Pokemon tournaments (its all sanctioned and you get prizes and points to go to higher competitions) and this guy used to come, claimed he had women 'eating out of the palm of his hand' and constantly bragging shit about his sexual prowess in front of the younger kids we had attending league sessions and tournaments and that.

We had a new girl show up, which was kinda rare, she was real nice and real good at the game and all. Bragging guy was paired up against her in round 3 or whatever, she beat him easy, and he fucking exploded 'I DIDN'T GET BEAT BY A GIRL SHE CHEATED, FUCKING BITCH' I was getting in telling him to call down or he'd be getting disqualified, but he was going mad. She very gracefully agreed to redo the match to placate him, she beat him again, and he was fucking bouncing off the walls 'FUCKING SLIMY BITCH, SHE WAS FLASHING HER TITS AT ME DISTRACTING ME SHE SHOULD BE DISQUALIFIED' And in the end, he was disqualified and we never saw him again.

Thats top of my list.

I wouldnt had calmed him down, I would have punched him in the fucking face on the spot.

Top Bottom