• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cringeworthy things you've seen gamers in person do?

Drewfonse

Though this thread would be about actual cringeworthy stuff, not "my coworker has a figurine on his desk...NERD ALERT!!"

A few years ago, a friend of mine came to visit and we went to Gamestop to pick a few games for him to play when he returned back to Mexico were he was studiyng medicine.

There was a small group of some really loud guys in their 20s in there, but no biggie. As I was showing some PS4 games to him on the PS aisle, one of the guys comes running to us screaming "HADOKEN!!", doing the gesture ...while grabbing and throwing the game cases to the floor...I guess to show the impact of said hadoken.

One of the obvious disgruntled employees comes over, calling him out for that...and one of the other guys stands in front of him, "does a shoryuken" (while sreaming it too for maximum impact), then him and the other guys start laughing and leave the store.

And yet, according to some in here...been an adult playing 3DS in public is cringey enough to warrant shame. No wonder I was bullied all my way through school...for wearing glasses (glasses = NERD!!). ;p

Fucking nerd!

I get what you're saying, but the "others" here are us, gamers. It seems like people are taking offense to the idea that their hobby and their gaming merch might be cringeworthy to someone else.

To which I said, it's ok to be self aware and laugh at yourself once in a while.
I don't think you get what I'm saying, because I said that I would be on board with a thread meant to take the piss out of ourselves.

The fact that he responded to people calling him out on this by editing his OP to explain "no really this guy was super obnoxious" is telling.

Eden is a smart, progressive dude, and I expect better from him than childishly pointing and laughing at the weird kid in class.

Well this one time, I was talking to my boss about games and when I mentioned that I liked COD and madden, the jerk rolled his eyes and sighed.

He brought up Nintendo games and I said I used to love play smash and Mario Kart when I was a kid. No insult was meant. All of a sudden, he went on a rant about "soul gaming" and sticking it to the corporate bigwigs. He then fired me on the spot. What a wacko.

This

I like tournaments and stuff but calling it a sport or the competitors athletes makes me cringe hard

I think that's my issue with it. I don't mind competitive gaming, but I wish it would create its own identity rather than try to ape traditional sports. Personally, I don't find much enjoyment out of it(only can stand basketball tbh), but can understand why many do.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Well this one time, I was talking to my boss about games and when I mentioned that I liked COD and madden, the jerk rolled his eyes and sighed.

He brought up Nintendo games and I said I used to love play smash and Mario Kart when I was a kid. No insult was meant. All of a sudden, he went on a rant about "soul gaming" and sticking it to the corporate bigwigs. He then fired me on the spot. What a wacko.
Lol

ViolentP

Swish.

Top Bottom