• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Critical Role is my new favorite web series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been getting back into Dungeons and Dragons, having discovered 5th edition. As such, this show came under my radar.

What is Critical Role

Critical Role is essentially a stream of professional voice actors (many of whom you know of) playing Dungeons and Dragons. Episodes are pretty lengthy and fun. The people really get into character, the DM is fantastic. Besides great story telling, they do a great job of providing advice to fledgling players.

Cast

Liam O'Brien - Vax'Ildan the Half-Elf Rogue - @VoiceOfObrien
Laura Bailey - Vex'Ahlia the Half-Elf Ranger - @LauraBaileyVO
Travis Willingham - Grog the Goliath Barbarian - @WillingBlam
Taliesin Jaffe - Percey the Human Gunslinger - @ExecutiveGoth
Marisha Ray - Keyleth the Half-Elf Druid - @Marisha_Ray
Orion Acaba - Tiberius the Dragonborn Sorcerer - @orionacaba
Sam Riegel - Scanlan the Gnome Bard - @samriegel
Ashley Johnson - Pike the Gnome Cleric - @TheVulcanSalute

Tiberius is the best character in the whole damn show.

What edition of Dungeons and Dragons are they playing?
5th edition, heavily modified by house rules.

Where can I watch This?
Their official website.
http://critrole.com/#/
Geek and Sundry
http://geekandsundry.com/shows/critical-role/

It's the best.

If you're looking for a more beginner level DnD experience, I would recommend Nerd Poker with Brian Posehn (up until Sark leaves), and Table Top Adventures over on Game Trailers. A lot more comedy focused.

For an enthusiast looking to have an itch scratched, Critical Role is really where it's at.

Liam O'brien?

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII subbed

Been looking for a comical DnD podcast as well, but a video series will do.

Yeah, Liam is the shit. His character is a bit cliche, but his portrayal is A+

Worth noting is that these guys have been playing for like 2 or 3 years before this show started. So the show feels like it kind of starts in the middle. Their characters feel pretty fleshed out.

cluto

I considered making a thread about this amazing show, but never got around to it. Does their website have the archived videos of their current campaign? I didn't see them there.

http://geekandsundry.com/shows/critical-role/ does have them. Hopefully people are curious enough to click on this thread and check out the show. I don't think enough people realize how incredible DnD can be, and this is the best example I've seen of people playing it.

I hear LARPs: the Series on Geek and Sundry is pretty cool too......

When I whisper it to myself before bed every night.

I considered making a thread about this amazing show, but never got around to it. Does their website have the archived videos of their current campaign? I didn't see them there.

http://geekandsundry.com/shows/critical-role/ does have them. Hopefully people are curious enough to click on this thread and check out the show. I don't think enough people realize how incredible DnD can be, and this is the best example I've seen of people playing it.

My friends and I only recently started playing DnD. It's very lax. We're playing with 3.5e or so rules but basically we've made it more newbie friendly and more of an occasion to fuck around with friends. I love it. And it works perfectly too because I'm the rogue and I always want to make shit more exciting, even if more dangerous. While another friend is the bard and just wants a straightforward adventure. We argue for hours on how to make decisions haha. I love it.

Where can I watch This?
Their official website.
http://critrole.com/#/

Apparently visiting their website caused me to drop half my IQ because I cannot figure out how to actually watch anything.

I hit Home and I get taken to a live feed of two random people playing Minecraft. I hit Watch and I'm taken to the exact same feed. The only other link is "Merch", and so far my experience is not making me want to buy their swag.

[EDIT]

Thank you. This is the link that should be included in the OP. The other one is complete garbage.

Noaloha

Liam O'brien?

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII subbed

Been looking for a comical DnD podcast as well, but a video series will do.

Podcast-wise, naught funnier than The Adventure Zone (additional sheets, fanart, etc).

I still think the most fun video pieces comes from the Acquisitions Incorporated shows at PAX. Nice chunks of two-hour content with plenty of laughs and occasional splashes of budget. And the podcast that ran between the PAX 'season finales' had its moments, for sure.

I gave Critical Role a go a while back but the tone of it doesn't appeal to me. It errs a little too much on the self-serious, drama school-ey, 'young adult' side of things. That's just personal preference though, the show is very well produced and seems great for what it's going for.

I know Wil Wheaton has a new pnpRPG show coming out on the Geek&Sundry network, though it's not DnD ruleset. Called 'Titansgrave' or something I think. As much as I like Wil, I'm again not convinced that I'll enjoy it tonally. It feels like it will be similarly dressed as Critical Role.

I like my DnD shows packed to the gills with well-crafted goofs and dumb improv shit, hence the Adventure Zone and Acquisitions recommendations.

Apparently visiting their website caused me to drop half my IQ because I cannot figure out how to actually watch anything.

I hit Home and I get taken to a live feed of two random people playing Minecraft. I hit Watch and I'm taken to the exact same feed. The only other link is "Merch", and so far my experience is not making me want to buy their swag.

[EDIT]

Thank you. This is the link that should be included in the OP. The other one is complete garbage.

I added the geek and sundry link.

PKrockin

Where can I watch episode 2? Apparently they goofed up and added episode 3 as 2, 4 as 3, etc. People are saying the real episode 2 is missing.

I hear LARPs: the Series on Geek and Sundry is pretty cool too......

When I whisper it to myself before bed every night.

I'm looking forward to season 2. As a side sidenote, I recently joined a random encounter sort of one shot TT DnD campaign and I totally felt like Noctis. "I'm going to check for traps AGAIN." The DM is totally trying to kill us all the time. I'm certain of it!

The crtirole site links to the GeekandSundry Twitch channel, which is where the show is streamed Live on Thursdays at 10est. The channel has other shows as well.

I know Wil Wheaton has a new pnpRPG show coming out on the Geek&Sundry network, though it's not DnD ruleset. Called 'Titansgrave' or something I think. As much as I like Wil, I'm again not convinced that I'll enjoy it tonally. It feels like it will be similarly dressed as Critical Role.

I like my DnD shows packed to the gills with well-crafted goofs and dumb improv shit, hence the Adventure Zone and Acquisitions recommendations.

Titansgrave: The Ashes of Valkana. It uses Green Ronin's AGE system like the Dragon Age tabletop rpg. It's already releasing eps actually, though only on the GeekandSundry website for now.

It's pretty good. Edited like an actual show so the pacing is good and lots of images interspersed to help the viewer follow what's going on. Not as comedic as Acq Inc but a good bit of humor.

Edit: Came over to the desktop to add some (perhaps) useful stuff.

Where can I watch episode 2? Apparently they goofed up and added episode 3 as 2, 4 as 3, etc. People are saying the real episode 2 is missing.

If you're looking at http://geekandsundry.com/shows/critical-role/ They all seem to be in the correct order as far as I can tell. They started the show in the middle of their 2+ year long campaign, so it doesn't feel like there's a beginning but the eps I checked (first 4) are all labeled correctly on G&S.

Titansgrave Eps: http://geekandsundry.com/shows/titansgrave/

Liam O'Brien - Vax'Ildan the Half-Elf Rogue - @VoiceOfObrien
Laura Bailey - Vex'Ahlia the Half-Elf Ranger - @LauraBaileyVO
Travis Willingham - Grog the Goliath Barbarian - @WillingBlam
Taliesin Jaffe - Percey the Human Gunslinger - @ExecutiveGoth
Marisha Ray - Keyleth the Half-Elf Druid - @Marisha_Ray
Orion Acaba - Tiberius the Dragonborn Sorcerer - @orionacaba
Sam Riegel - Scanlan the Gnome Bard - @samriegel
Ashley Johnson - Pike the Gnome Cleric - @TheVulcanSalute

GregHorrorShow

Neo Member
I am absolutely loving this show. And this as someone who hasn't played anything like DnD - the closest I ever came was Hero Quest / Space Marines back in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom