• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Critical Role: Voice Actors Playing D&D

I kinda just want everyone to be the opposite, lol.

Travis is an intelligent Wizard, Marisha is a forthright and confident Paladin, Liam is a happy-go-lucky Cleric, etc.

Famassu

I could've actually used a few more minutes of epilogue for every character, a bit more fleshed out what some of these characters did.

I need to listen to the end with Keyleth again, was distracted while it was going on so missed a lot of it.

This campaign is over now, so you shouldn't feel any pressure to catch up. Just watch and enjoy :)

Yeah but that's what, 100 something episodes? And at 4 hours a piece no less. I usually only have time to watch an episode 1-2x/week at most. I'm not too worried about it as I really enjoy them.

Got to 22 and loved the guest appearances, Felicia Day is amazing at roleplaying her character.

Famassu

Yeah but that's what, 100 something episodes? And at 4 hours a piece no less. I usually only have time to watch an episode 1-2x/week at most. I'm not too worried about it as I really enjoy them.

Got to 22 and loved the guest appearances, Felicia Day is amazing at roleplaying her character.
93 anymore. :p They'll be starting a new campaign around new years so you can just jump into that one as soon as it starts and keep watching the rest of the old one while waiting new episodes.

Famassu

Will the next Talks Machina be with the whole cast or will it be a classical one?
They said they'll have a proper "End of Vox Machina's tale" special episode with all of the cast + others sometime later and they'll obviously announce it when it's been decided, so I doubt this episode will have everyone, especially since Matt & Marisha are probably busy finalizing their wedding stuff (I think it's on Friday or Saturday)

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in the low 90s, and find Noelle Stevenson's bafflement endlessly charming.

They have a ten minute conversation about whether they should be bats or rats, and then everyone starts flapping their arms, and she just kind of looks around, like "what did I sign up for?"

So... roughly 30 minutes of getting out of coffins? Unless they save this on the back half of the show, V:TM is not going to impress as a system to all these people who aren't familiar with it.

Famassu

And Matts dead in some really railroady death. Hate that.

And Marisha

This is a poor representation of a VtM game
Both death's could've been prevented. "Your funeral" wasn't exactly subtle and drinking whatever the two in Shawn's (?) office were drinking after seeing where it came from and what condition the people in the office were in was dumb.

+ this is a one shot. No harm no foul making it a bit more deadly. If this had been part of a longer game, it would've been dumb but as is the soon to be married couple dying first and almost simultaneously & not together was funny & grim.

I'm gonna be honest. I don't really like Taliesen as DM. I'm sure a bit of that is his lack of comfort with VTM rules, but some of it is just the presentation.

I generally love the V:TM setting though so I'm still looking forward to it.

Brashnir

And Matts dead in some really railroady death. Hate that.

And Marisha

This is a poor representation of a VtM game

Matt - "Hey Taliesin, we have wedding shit to do, can you kill us off before the break? That'd be a fun way to strike fear into the others."

Taliesin - "Yeah sure, that sounds fun."

Pilgrimzero

Matt - "Hey Taliesin, we have wedding shit to do, can you kill us off before the break? That'd be a fun way to strike fear into the others."

Taliesin - "Yeah sure, that sounds fun."

I suppose but this really comes off more like a Human centric World of Darkness thing than a Vampire game.

I still have about an hour to watch of it but unless this is some kind of Malk shared insanity or something this game really has nothing to do with VtM. They could have just as easily used D&D rules and said they were all vampires.

It seems to have nothing to do with the tone or flavor of the VtM setting.

This is just almost-humans in a nightmare cthulhu-ish scenario. Just kind of weird torture room after weird torture room. Sunlight in this room! Magic card game in this one! Meat thing in this one! Zoned out wage slaves in this one!

Famassu

Taliesin said it has been, like, 25 years since he last played VtM and not to expect some kind of perfect (or even good) representation of proper VtM. It was meant to be a very isolated meta-ish session and not really delve deep into VtM lore or anything. The players were having fun and that fun they were having was entertaining to watch imo, which is the reason why Critical Role as a whole is fun to watch. I liked Taliesin as a GM. What he did isn't up to par with Matt's shit, but I think it was far better to Liam & Sam's games.

Pilgrimzero

Taliesin said it has been, like, 25 years since he last played VtM and not to expect some kind of perfect (or even good) representation of proper VtM. It was meant to be a very isolated meta-ish session and not really delve deep into VtM lore or anything. The players were having fun and that fun they were having was entertaining to watch imo, which is the reason why Critical Role as a whole is fun to watch. I liked Taliesin as a GM. What he did isn't up to par with Matt's shit, but I think it was far better to Liam & Sam's games.

Having finished it, while the reveal of “Father” made the rest of it make sense, it still seemed odd for an intro to VtM. I mean essentially it was them playing D&D crammed into VtM. But yeah yeah the whole meta thing.

Hopefully the next session has them experience the WoD more accurately since they are free.

Maximo

Hey Critical Role community loved lurking and occasionally posting about the incredible journey of Vox Machina, not sure what any of your plans are but there is a critical role OT on Restart-Era come join us if you want.

Top Bottom