• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Critical Role: Voice Actors Playing D&D

Famassu

They are ungodly lucky when it comes to certain fights some people bitch how death doesn't matter but Matt makes revival way harder then the official rules as well as bumping and changing abilities/stats of certain creatures he doesn't hold his punches they are just get insanely fucking lucky.
The Kevdak fight was just insane. Soooooo many enemies after the surprise round ended. Watched some post-game vid Matt did where he said that all the enemis would have just kept hacking if anyone of them fell unconscious (with many of them being raging barbarians, dropping to 0HP would pretty much have been auto-death) and if Grog hadn't killed the leader the fighting would've continued. What is the fucking chance that Laura would come up with a crazy plan of Pokemoning Grog and then dropping him on the leader and Grog hitting him the killing blow there & then.

In the 1 off with Joe Manganiello on their pay site, Percy had advantage on a roll so he rolled both at the same time and both were 20s.
Oh crap, lol. Percy is the anti-Wheaton that balances the world & makes math right again.

Percy rolls are quite good. He's using a golden die right now. I'm at around episode thirty where they are starting a rebellion and special agent scanlan burnt down a house and blasted a goliath off the roof while the other group kind of struggled lol. He's a one man wrecking ball.

I like how Scanlan and Grog seem to be the people to get shit moving. The other group members seem very concerned about preserving their lives and are at times too deliberate in their actions. It's nice to have some wild cards who just do stuff.

Sam is a gem.

This episode has put a lot of shit in canon lmao. From Tary to Pike

edit: Poor form Marisha on the metagaming. She tried to ruin the reverse whisper... Im glad even with the 27 roll, Matt didn't give her anything.

Reverse Whisper
tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Arrrammis

Uhh... where was Taliesin going with the Scanlan convo? Isn't he supposed to be good? Can someone explain that...?

Percy is good, but (Spoilers up to current)
He's always been a very vengeful character, he's gotten better especially since his demon was destroyed, but his character hasn't completely changed and literally going to Hell and coming back probably didn't help. Plus, Scanlon did leave them out to dry, and as Talesin noted Scanlon would have made many of the dangers they faced in Hell almost trivial if he hadn't left.

Aww, Pike and Grog are a national treasure

Also, Sam just cannot get a break from this guilt train tonight!

Percy is good, but (Spoilers up to current)
He's always been a very vengeful character, he's gotten better especially since his demon was destroyed, but his character hasn't completely changed and literally going to Hell and coming back probably didn't help. Plus, Scanlon did leave them out to dry, and as Talesin noted Scanlon would have made many of the dangers they faced in Hell almost trivial if he hadn't left.

Aww, Pike and Grog are a national treasure

Also, Sam just cannot get a break from this guilt train tonight!

Nah I get that... but it was like he was planning to...
kill him?
Even Liam was joking about it
*mafia accent* I want em dead. His family. Dead. Everyone he loves. Dead.
It just seemed soooo overboard. Dude is dark as fuck.

---

This is the most nsfw episode i've seen from them. Taryon lol!

Yeah same that amount of time seems waaaay too short, at least its something.
Crit Roll Stats has a pretty crazy statistic they put out after the game. The entire streamed adventure so far has only spanned 4.6 in game months. So in that context a year jump is kinda big.

NewGame

Banned
And there's no official rules/spells/etc... past level 20 that I'm aware of. So that would mean even more Homebrew prep for Matt.

You can gestalt.

Previous D&D games had Mythic/Epic tiers that characters could ascend. Around that time you are pretty much treating planar travel like walking around town, demons are goblins and liches are zombies and dragons are pesudodragons as far as difficulty is concerned, the only thing that threatens you is demi-gods or something like that.

I find everything is more grounded and interesting between levels 3-7 anyway.

Famassu

Thordak goin' downnnnnnnn, just started the episode and initiatives have been rolled. Fucking hell the "miniature" of him is massive. :S

Edit: Holy shit Scanlan play the fucking flute D:

Edit#2: Attacking Raishan at that moment was such a wise move. -_-

Edit#3: Yeah this second dragon fight right after another one when most people are bleeding hard was such a great move. Fucking dumbasses. xD

Edit#3: Yeah this second dragon fight right after another one when most people are bleeding hard was such a great move. Fucking dumbasses. xD

Wait until you get to the arc where they go to Hell for literally no reason.

Even Matt tries to tell them not to.

Well, there's a reason, it's just not a very good one.

I've been looking into starting something with my friends too. It would be a shitshow for sure with my friends but could be super fun. I'm torn because if I start organizing it I know I would be the DM which would be fun but I also want to actually play too.

As for my progress I'm past the Briarwoods now and screaming towards the 40s in terms of episodes. Hopefully I can watch live before they end the campaign.

Do we have a DND thread on GAF? Watching this has made me want to play, so looking for some tips to get started.

We have a catchall pen and paper thread.

Dnd is a blast. I have a group that meets every two weeks.

I suggest starting with the five 5e starter set. Us a great into to the game.

Keep your expectations in check. You are not matt mercer. Your friends,are not high profile voice actors.

I recomend matt colville

As for my progress I'm past the Briarwoods now and screaming towards the 40s in terms of episodes. Hopefully I can watch live before they end the campaign.
If the last arc is even half as involved as the previous one you'll have plenty of time. It lasted almost an entire year.

.JayZii

Banned
The Liam DMed game this week with Matt playing should be fun. The first hour or so of Liam's first game with Laura, Travis, Sam and Taliesin doing a fake VO session was great.
Was hoping for a TPK so they can start a new campaign with new characters.
They're starting a new campaign with new characters by the end of the year. I think we can count on at least one dead tinkerer between now and then.

Pilgrimzero

What are they playing in the one shot?

Also, been listing to the Deadlands one shot. Laura is gold.

Also also, I hope they play Vampire tM and/or Shadowrun soon.

IIRC, his last one shot made it seem like DnD stats in a modern setting.

He recently tweeted a picture from a RIFTS book, though, so maybe they'll go with something different.

This Kraken fight is clearly superfun to the players. They are frustrated as fuuuuuuuuck.
Actually on Talks Machina Taliesin said that was part of the reason for his Scanlin stuff last week. It's a combination of abandonment issues and of Percy being so completely worthless in that Kraken fight that he's gotta pass the blame off to not having Scanlan's much more useful skill set instead.

Actually on Talks Machina Taliesin said that was part of the reason for his Scanlin stuff last week. It's a combination of abandonment issues and of Percy being so completely worthless in that Kraken fight that he's gotta pass the blame off to not having Scanlan's much more useful skill set instead.

I don't buy that excuse. It's clear to me that Taliesin wants Percy to be the emo of the group. I secretly think that he's annoyed that Vax/Liam got to be the "Champion of the Raven Queen". Remember when Vax went to the Raven Queen's temple oh so long ago? Remember what Percy did immediately after? It's why when they
went to hell recently he signed that stupid contract even though it's just a retread of his whole Othax thing.

I don't buy that excuse. It's clear to me that Taliesin wants Percy to be the emo of the group. I secretly think that he's annoyed that Vax/Liam got to be the "Champion of the Raven Queen". Remember when Vax went to the Raven Queen's temple oh so long ago? Remember what Percy did immediately after? It's why when they
went to hell recently he signed that stupid contract even though it's just a retread of his whole Othax thing.

I mean, Taliesin was totally robbed. Percy was rocking the black bird of death motif from day one, then Liam rolled up and hijacked it from him.
Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/GvZxq9F.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/492Q8lC.jpg[/IMG]

He even had that Raven Skull Brooch.

I mean, Taliesin was totally robbed. Percy was rocking the black bird of death motif from day one, then Liam rolled up and hijacked it from him.
Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/GvZxq9F.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/492Q8lC.jpg[/IMG]

He even had that Raven Skull Brooch.

Doesn't matter. They dice rolled where they did and the story shifted.

Top Bottom