• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Critical Role: Voice Actors Playing D&D

.JayZii

Banned
Does anyone know what times Matt and Marisha will be playing on that stream of annihilation? I saw a schedule, but it didn't mention them.

It definitely seems like something worth checking out. Though when it comes to actual play pen and paper stuff, I have a real hot or cold reaction to it. Usually cold.

Does anyone know what times Matt and Marisha will be playing on that stream of annihilation? I saw a schedule, but it didn't mention them.
He and Marisha are playing in the last game of the night (Tower of the Curator). Tomorrow Matt's DMing Girls Guts Glory at the start of the day.

Infographic leading up to tonight's 100th story episode.
CR-Ep+100+Infographic+Small.jpg

Really enjoy the infographic.

But! How can Percy fire 60 shots a minute? He can fire 3 shot per 6 seconds round. So...30 shots per minute without action surge. He can't action surge every round--it's twice per short rest.

42 shots in a minute should be the max, right?

Grexeno

But! How can Percy fire 60 shots a minute? He can fire 3 shots per 6 seconds. 30 shots per minute without action surge. He can't action surge every round--it's twice per short rest.

Rounds per minute is just a standard measurement unit I thought.

But! How can Percy fire 60 shots a minute? He can fire 3 shot per 6 seconds round. So...30 shots per minute without action surge. He can't action surge every round--it's twice per short rest.

I think the quote is based on how many shots he's taken per minute thus far, rather than actually being the max rounds per minute itself.

So what I think happened was they took the number of rounds his fired and averaged it for how many minutes he's been in combat and came to 60 rounds per minute. Probably because they haven't accurately tracked action surges to rest periods. Which happens because the games are long and everyone is more invested in the story and actually playing than they are accurately following the rules to the letter.

.JayZii

Banned
I'm really excited to see what they do tonight.

I'll bet Matt has some special surprises for episode 100, and Sam playing two characters is an embarrassment of riches.

All these voice actors, many with varied styles and accents... And Sam gets two characters at once, neither of which uses a voice that's identifiably different. Tary does have a slightly different speech pattern but man... The confusion.

ShadyK54

Geek and Sundry and Vox Machina have finally done what a lot of people have always wanted and made an official Podcast form of the episodes.

http://geekandsundry.com/experience-the-beginning-all-over-again-with-the-critical-role-podcast/

Only the first 11 episodes are up so far. Appears to be a straight audio rip of the episodes, though they're shorter, so there is some editing involved. Also includes original Backblaze ads by Sam.

First time poster in this thread here as I only lurk every once in awhile when I see this thread pop up at the top.

Been wanting to get into Critical Role for awhile, but have always held off because the episodes weren't in podcast form anywhere, so seeing them being put up in this form is awesome.

So what I think happened was they took the number of rounds his fired and averaged it for how many minutes he's been in combat and came to 60 rounds per minute.

Fair point.

I was really excited to hear about the podcast--was wishing for it while I was working through the backlog. The audio quality in the first podcast is definitely better than the initial audio in Episode One. Editing seemed to be pretty decent from the 30-40 minutes I listened to earlier today.

Hard to believe I've been watching live since 40--tonight should be a lot of fun.

First time poster in this thread here as I only lurk every once in awhile when I see this thread pop up at the top.

Been wanting to get into Critical Role for awhile, but have always held off because the episodes weren't in podcast form anywhere, so seeing them being put up in this form is awesome.

That's awesome! Just a heads up that the audio on these early episodes is rough. They mic'd the room rather than each player or even just the tables and the original recordings had some errors at certain points. It's servicable though and will functionally get you caught up a bit more convienently.

New set and lighting is insane. They also all have lap mics it looks like. Legendary finally pony up or did a rich Critter make a massive donation?

Arrrammis

Man this setup is insanely cool. IT's incredible how far they've come from the basic folding table and cameras setup that they had in the first episodes.

Also, Matt Mercer continues to blow my mind. His duck impression is beautiful!

Szeth

New mics are legit awful. I don't get it, audio has been good for a long time now. It also constrains the players movement. Can Matt even do whispers now? Look at how Travis had to get up. Such a dumb and unnecessary change.

.JayZii

Banned
New mics are legit awful. I don't get it, audio has been good for a long time now. It also constrains the players movement. Can Matt even do whispers now? Look at how Travis had to get up. Such a dumb and unnecessary change.
Yeah, hopefully it's a temporary thing.

I realize they run a lot of other shows on the channel –that people apparently watch– but you would think the production on their flagship (and it's 100th episode, no less) would be tight.

Yeah, hopefully it's a temporary thing.

I realize they run a lot of other shows on the channel –that people apparently watch– but you would think the production on their flagship (and it's 100th episode, no less) would be tight.

The production team works across all shows (and likely cross brands as well since Nerdist got folded into G&S), so they don't get a ton of time to workout the kinks of the setups ahead of time since they're constantly shifting from one show to the next, all of them using unique setups and different staff members.

This is old but here's a timelapse of what they have to go through in just setting up. Keep in mind as well that they have several other sets as well for the other shows so they shift focus from multiple sets on certain days.

Absolutely Critical Role is the flagship and it does get more attention than other shows (Ivan had to use his own money for the specialized gaming table they use for Game the Game), but also consider that some of the other shows Welcome to the Wednesday Club, Talks Machina (different set), Tabletop, Signal Boost, and Ashes of Valkana all also star and/or are produced by members of Critical Role as well. The money has to be spread around and projects balanced.

.JayZii

Banned
The production team works across all shows (and likely cross brands as well since Nerdist got folded into G&S), so they don't get a ton of time to workout the kinks of the setups ahead of time since they're constantly shifting from one show to the next, all of them using unique setups and different staff members.

This is old but here's a timelapse of what they have to go through in just setting up. Keep in mind as well that they have several other sets as well for the other shows so they shift focus from multiple sets on certain days.

Absolutely Critical Role is the flagship and it does get more attention than other shows (Ivan had to use his own money for the specialized gaming table they use for Game the Game), but also consider that some of the other shows Welcome to the Wednesday Club, Talks Machina (different set), Tabletop, Signal Boost, and Ashes of Valkana all also star and/or are produced by members of Critical Role as well. The money has to be spread around and projects balanced.
I don't necessarily mean "They should spend more money" but more like "Let's give these mics a test run before going live". I'm sure there are reasons why they changed it, but a drop in audio quality 100 episodes in is a little silly.

I don't necessarily mean "They should spend more money" but more like "Let's give these mics a test run before going live". I'm sure there are reasons why they changed it, but a drop in audio quality 100 episodes in is a little silly.

Sure. But that's what I'm talking about when I say the production staff gets used on all the shows. The twitch channel programs like 8~ish hours give or take of live shows M-F and then the scripted recorded stuff as well. It's not a ton of time to spare a significant chunk of staff to testing stuff out in a live environment. Zack had less staff but was at the studio damn near 24-7 (hell he made his HyperRPG studio actually BE his home because of this). I doubt the current crew has his level od dedication though they also shouldn't have to have his dedication.

The only options are hire more staff or cut other content in favor of freeing up resources for Critical Role. Both would go over badly with the core audience and supporters of G&S. Who knows what contractual obligations there may be with the content from Felicia's deal with Legendary too.

.JayZii

Banned
Sure. But that's what I'm talking about when I say the production staff gets used on all the shows. The twitch channel programs like 8~ish hours give or take of live shows M-F and then the scripted recorded stuff as well. It's not a ton of time to spare a significant chunk of staff to testing stuff out in a live environment. Zack had less staff but was at the studio damn near 24-7 (hell he made his HyperRPG studio actually BE his home because of this). I doubt the current crew has his level od dedication though they also shouldn't have to have his dedication.

The only options are hire more staff or cut other content in favor of freeing up resources for Critical Role. Both would go over badly with the core audience and supporters of G&S. Who knows what contractual obligations there may be with the content from Felicia's deal with Legendary too.
I don't think testing the mics to see if they have feedback (when anyone moves at all) would be super time or work intensive, but what do I know?

It's not a good look, especially when the show just got written up on a few websites today and there are probably new people checking it out for the first time. I don't see the point in making excuses for them. I'm sure they are tight on staff, but that doesn't make scratchy mics and people's audio cutting out not annoying for the audience.

I don't think testing the mics to see if they have feedback (when anyone moves at all) would be super time or work intensive, but what do I know?

It's not a good look, especially when the show just got written up on a few websites today and there are probably new people checking it out for the first time. I don't see the point in making excuses for them. I'm sure they are tight on staff, but that doesn't make scratchy mics and people's audio cutting out not annoying for the audience.

I'm not making excuses as much as I'm pointing out context. All the testing in the world doesn't make for a perfect execution in a live environment. As for new viewers, they know just like the older viewers that these are new mics and set and not normal audio performance... As there's literally thousands of people in chat commenting on it.

We all hear the problems. It happens. They'll work on it. It's a bit much to expect perfection.

.JayZii

Banned
I'm not making excuses as much as I'm pointing out context. All the testing in the world doesn't make for a perfect execution in a live environment. As for new viewers, they know just like the older viewers that these are new mics and set and not normal audio performance... As there's literally thousands of people in chat commenting on it.

We all hear the problems. It happens. They'll work on it. It's a bit much to expect perfection.
I feel like you're really overblowing what I'm saying. I'm not asking for perfection, lol.

But I think we've said all that's worth saying on the subject, so we probably should just drop it.

Counterspell, how we missed thee

edit: took a while for me to realize how appropriate it is for a character named Lionel to be on the ceiling.

Holy... Scanlan man!

MATT MERCER is having mercy.
Not out of the woods yet though.

On a failed save, the creature is Blinded. It must then make a Wisdom saving throw at the start of your next turn. A successful save ends the blindness. If it fails that save, the creature is transported to another plane of the DM's choosing and is no longer Blinded.

Not out of the woods yet though.

On a failed save, the creature is Blinded. It must then make a Wisdom saving throw at the start of your next turn. A successful save ends the blindness. If it fails that save, the creature is transported to another plane of the DM's choosing and is no longer Blinded.

oh shit.

And why didn't Keyleth turn into a Beholder. All this magic, and you have an anti-magic cone! Nobody gives a fk about a dragon in a battle like this!

.JayZii

Banned
I'm going to have to watch the second half of this tomorrow.

There's been some good moments so far, but it's felt sloooooooooooooooow. Like they're all dragging out every decision for some reason and Matt just looks like he's regretting agreeing to fly to that convention tomorrow.

Top Bottom