• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Critical Role: Voice Actors Playing D&D

Brashnir

I feel like Vax is sticking around if only because it would seem awkward for someone else of the groups power level to just show up and join them at this point. I'm sure they could pull something off, but it sounds like it could easily be an awkward fit. "Were you guys by chance looking for a level 17-18 adventurer to replace your dead friend?"

Yeah, this would be more than a bit weird. The other options are PC-ifying a prominent NPC from the campaign for the purpose of the final arc. Or just playing Taryon, but that would be even weirder.

.JayZii

Banned
Yeah, this would be more than a bit weird. The other options are PC-ifying a prominent NPC from the campaign for the purpose of the final arc. Or just playing Taryon, but that would be even weirder.
Even Liam playing one of Matt's NPCs would be weird.

I'm guessing he'll come back as a revenant at this point.

I think there'll end up being a weighted choice between revenant against a story beat for True Res. So probably back quickly and on Vecna's tail, or let Vecna proceed with his plans while they go after Vax.

Brashnir

Even Liam playing one of Matt's NPCs would be weird.

I'm guessing he'll come back as a revenant at this point.

That's probably the best way of handling it.

It would even offer the opportunity to reroll if Liam wanted to try something else, like going full Paladin.

.JayZii

Banned
That's probably the best way of handling it.

It would even offer the opportunity to reroll if Liam wanted to try something else, like going full Paladin.
It would be interesting to come back as a pure paladin a la Final Fantasy IV. Though they would literally never get through doors if that were the case.

I'm going to be a bit disappointed if they just cast true resurrection next episode, he comes back the same as he was, and that's it. I have to imagine Matt and Liam have something more interesting planned than that.

.JayZii

Banned
He'll have to pass some sort of test. That's almost certain.
I wonder if they'll waste 25,000 gold (in diamonds) on a spell that has no chance of working because RQ has other plans. I don't know if Laura/Vex can take two big losses back to back like that.

Grexeno

Although maybe they'll guild trip Mercer into lessening the penalty since Scanlan shouldn't have been affected by that paralyze.

I wonder if they'll waste 25,000 gold (in diamonds) on a spell that has no chance of working because RQ has other plans. I don't know if Laura/Vex can take two big losses back to back like that.

Did you see last nights Talks? Matt talked about his feelings on the spell

.JayZii

Banned
Did you see last nights Talks? Matt talked about his feelings on the spell
He seemed to be suitably vague to me. As in describing the power of and how the spell works in general without bringing up any of the specific factors of the one about to be attempted.

I have to imagine he said "we're going to have a conversation" at the end of last week's episode for more of a reason than them needing a lot of money.

I doubt Matt would let them blow 25k in diamonds (which would have to be acquired which in itself would be no easy feat in his world) and THEN tell them "lol no Raven Queen says otherwise"

Matt isn't a dick DM. If he's not going to allow it he'll either straight up tell them it's not happening before they do it or he'll give them plenty of context clues to dissuade them from that path.

Given that he's not shooting down the spell entirely (remember, he will openly call out broken spells) it means the spell itself, should work within his world. Vax's soul not being free, would likely be played out in a similar manner as ressurection rituals are.. with the group having to essentially convince the Raven Queen that her interests are better served with him alive. Shouldn't be too hard to pitch it and would honestly be better than Revenant for a number of reasons.

.JayZii

Banned
I doubt Matt would let them blow 25k in diamonds (which would have to be acquired which in itself would be no easy feat in his world) and THEN tell them "lol no Raven Queen says otherwise"

Matt isn't a dick DM. If he's not going to allow it he'll either straight up tell them it's not happening before they do it or he'll give them plenty of context clues to dissuade them from that path.

Given that he's not shooting down the spell entirely (remember, he will openly call out broken spells) it means the spell itself, should work within his world. Vax's soul not being free, would likely be played out in a similar manner as ressurection rituals are.. with the group having to essentially convince the Raven Queen that her interests are better served with him alive. Shouldn't be too hard to pitch it and would honestly be better than Revenant for a number of reasons.
I don't think Matt would actually make them waste that much money, I was just joking.

I do sense that he isn't too fond of true resurrection RAW, and will make them do something cool in addition to the spell.

.JayZii

Banned
I missed it. What happened?
He said it's a 9th level spell so it bypasses the homebrew ritual that they've had to do in past resurrections. He emphasized that they needed 25,000 gold worth of diamonds, in order to let them know they couldn't just mark off 25k from party funds.

Then they talked a bit about the morality of a spell that allows you to resurrect anybody you want who has died within the last 200 years and the implications of doing something like that. Keyleth has never cast a resurrection spell and has left it to Pike because she's felt it wasn't her place as a druid to do necromancy like that, but now it's her boyfriend so that changes things.

The spell does specifically say "If the creature's soul is free and willing". I don't think his soul is entirely free.

Oh damn I guess we already talked about that. My bad. I've only caught glimpses of the latest episodes and Talks. Just mostly Twitter. I'm still catching up but spoilers don't bother me. They just fuel my anticipation.

On a sort of related note: My group of all first time/inexperienced (from the most casual of casual games) players has had a character creation session and on Sunday we're starting our first adventure. I really wish the PHB had some example completed character sheets so we could see what information is good to include. Like how should I lay out class features and other things. I found some online which helped. My friend is pretty creative so he's crafted a world for us to explore and has some adventure ideas. He loves Bloodborne so I'm expecting some eldritch fuckery at some point. We got a halfing bard, wood elf ranger, tiefling warlock, high elf druid, and human paladin (me).

The spell does specifically say "If the creature's soul is free and willing". I don't think his soul is entirely free.

Oh damn I guess we already talked about that. My bad. I've only caught glimpses of the latest episodes and Talks. Just mostly Twitter. I'm still catching up but spoilers don't bother me. They just fuel my anticipation.

On a sort of related note: My group of all first time/inexperienced (from the most casual of casual games) players has had a character creation session and on Sunday we're starting our first adventure. I really wish the PHB had some example completed character sheets so we could see what information is good to include. Like how should I lay out class features and other things. I found some online which helped. My friend is pretty creative so he's crafted a world for us to explore and has some adventure ideas. He loves Bloodborne so I'm expecting some eldritch fuckery at some point. We got a halfing bard, wood elf ranger, tiefling warlock, high elf druid, and human paladin (me).

WOTC has some completed character sheets on their site

My mom just found out about Critical Role (and that it runs 3-5 hours and that it's on episode 105), and gave me the biggest look of disgust.

You can say.... she was a bit critical.

Man those other shows that they show ads for during the break always come off as fake & forced. There's a reason no one watches anything else on G&S but Critrole.

"The Moon Weaver, a god I've heard of once so will now pledge my eternal allegiance to."

I always love Scanlan's take on the group's plans.

That and using Vax's death as an excuse to finally get rid of Trinket.

Man those other shows that they show ads for during the break always come off as fake & forced. There's a reason no one watches anything else on G&S but Critrole.

I'd been watching on YouTube lately so had been skipping the ad breaks, first time seeing them in a while and that was painful to sit through.

Arrrammis

I'd been watching on YouTube lately so had been skipping the ad breaks, first time seeing them in a while and that was painful to sit through.

I always mute them and watch something else (like the first 20 minutes of Critical Role ep. 97:
Keyleth's cliff adventure
, it's always hilarious) or take a break myself. It's really kind of disappointing that nothing at G&S comes close to the quality of Critical Role.

Brashnir

The other RPG shows, Vast and ForeverVerse, are actually quality.

Probably two to five episodes will be the finale of s1, and s2 will probably start in earnest next year, possibly right before or after SDCC for maximum exposure.

Haven't watched Vast, but Foreververse is OK at best. Amy Vorpahl is good, but the rest of the cast leaves me flat. Titans Grave and Tabletop are solid too, I suppose. But there's a lot of real sketchy stuff on the channel.

Famassu

WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING. Watching last week's episode. Like,
first an insta-death with no saving throws and then two disintegrates on Vax D: D: D: D:

Superdick-GM Matt is scary :S

EDIT: Lol @ Percy getting two natural 20s in one turn.

So when are they going to roll new characters and start a new campaign?

Well they were 1 turn and Scanlan's ingenuity away from a confirmed Total Party Kill.

Regardless, this is the last arc. Short of them all dying somehow, anywhere up to 20 more episodes. We really don't know. Briarwood arc was long, as was the Chroma Conclave.

NewGame

Banned
Probably two to five episodes will be the finale of s1, and s2 will probably start in earnest next year, possibly right before or after SDCC for maximum exposure.

Good. I have already created a head canon for their new characters

Grog's player becomes a extremely stubborn dragonborn paladin- but he's really racist in the sense that he thinks dragonborn are just so much better than all other races and feels the need to protect/intervene in everyone elses affairs because its "the right thing to do"

Vax's player becomes a halfling transmuter wizard who is rather thrifty and materialistic and likes to mess with stuff just to see what happens

Vex's player becomes an assimar monk with a full on bittersweet revenge plot and walks the path of an assasin

Pike's player becomes an elven eldtrich knight who looks for fame and prestidge through cunning and warfare

Percy's player can be a sorcerer, maybe wild magic or something like that; less broody and more bubbly

Kelith's player can be any human nonspell casting class k thx

Scanlan's player can be anything because I'm pretty sure he'd knock it out of the park as a level 1 NPC pesant.

And then they need to find someone else to GM because Matt deserves to play.

And then idk, spelljammer or something.

Arrrammis

Good. I have already created a head canon for their new characters

Grog's player becomes a extremely stubborn dragonborn paladin- but he's really racist in the sense that he thinks dragonborn are just so much better than all other races and feels the need to protect/intervene in everyone elses affairs because its "the right thing to do"

Vax's player becomes a halfling transmuter wizard who is rather thrifty and materialistic and likes to mess with stuff just to see what happens

Vex's player becomes an assimar monk with a full on bittersweet revenge plot and walks the path of an assasin

Pike's player becomes an elven eldtrich knight who looks for fame and prestidge through cunning and warfare

Percy's player can be a sorcerer, maybe wild magic or something like that; less broody and more bubbly

Kelith's player can be any human nonspell casting class k thx

Scanlan's player can be anything because I'm pretty sure he'd knock it out of the park as a level 1 NPC pesant.

And then they need to find someone else to GM because Matt deserves to play.

And then idk, spelljammer or something.

That's assuming that they have the same cast. Starting new characters would be a good opportunity for them to invite other actors who might be interested to try out Critical Role, and some of the current cast (Ashley Johnson(Pike) in particular) might/do have acting jobs coming up that would mean that they couldn't attend Critical Role for a few months to a year.

I kind of hope Matt stays as DM, he's pretty fantastic as a character, but nobody I have seen (in Critical Role or any other G&S DnD stream) has been close to the level of DMing that Matt brings to the table.

NewGame

Banned
I kind of hope Matt stays as DM, he's pretty fantastic as a character, but nobody I have seen (in Critical Role or any other G&S DnD stream) has been close to the level of DMing that Matt brings to the table.

Aside from the quirky voices, what does Matt bring to the table that other DMs don't?

..... oh man.

They barely missed missing the apocalypse.

The look on Matt's face as he realized he may have to trash his entire night's campaign work and improv it.

Arrrammis

Aside from the quirky voices, what does Matt bring to the table that other DMs don't?

It might be that I have gotten used to Matt's style after 300+ hours of Critical Role, but it feels like a lot of the other DMs that I see on G&S aren't very good at coming up with things on the fly and railroad their players a bit more, which kind of brings down the experience for me. Matt seems to have something prepared no matter which direction the players decide to go, and generally gives them some possibility of success in just about any scenario.

Also, the whole voices thing is a huge part of it for me in terms of getting into the story.

Compelling storytelling that captivates (as of this post) 26k+ people on twitch. There are great DMs, but you have to have the charisma, storytelling ability, and improv experience to make this thing work.

For me, Matt is the singular point that makes the entire show work. If Matt left Critical Role, I wouldn't watch anymore.

Top Bottom