• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Critical Role: Voice Actors Playing D&D

Maximo

Soon

DEtu1KPVwAAbDoe.jpg

Fucking buying it Day 1 and running my group through it been waiting to start DMing again with this.

I don't GM, but I'd buy this just to flip through it.

Oh man. Not directed at you personally but this comment just made me realize how many people will buy this, memorize it, and use it in the chat to correct Matt on his own world.

I mean the last session literally had a moment where chat told a player where they had placed one of their info cards inside their folder. Like literally, "you put it in the ___ page next to the blue sheet." That's a scary amount of dedication.

Oh man. Not directed at you personally but this comment just made me realize how many people will buy this, memorize it, and use it in the chat to correct Matt on his own world.
Yeah, it's pretty terrifying. I think they even thought about this themselves in this week's or last week's intro.

Famassu

Yeah, it's pretty terrifying. I think they even thought about this themselves in this week's or last week's intro.
It was this week. Matt was all "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, it's releasing next monday" and they joked about how they can be corrected in real time when the game is going on (even more than before).

Maximo

I actually don't like the campaign book from a DM perspective especially if people were inexperienced or going to jump into being a DM for the first time. Its just a huge information/lore dump without actually giving the DM more proper scenarios/puzzles/enemy encounters, ect, really cool for world building and such but Tal,Dorei isn't exactly the most captivating of fantasy campaign books (And I don't mean for that to come off too negatively) it's the voice actors that make the world interesting. Its definitely for Critical Role fans that want more lore into the world they love and that is great for me as a fan..but as a DM I was going to run a new group for their first DnD experience and there are far better campaign books that ease you and your group in.

I actually don't like the campaign book from a DM perspective especially if people were inexperienced or going to jump into being a DM for the first time. Its just a huge information/lore dump without actually giving the DM more proper scenarios/puzzles/enemy encounters, ect, really cool for world building and such but Tal,Dorei isn't exactly the most captivating of fantasy campaign books (And I don't mean for that to come off too negatively) it's the voice actors that make the world interesting. Its definitely for Critical Role fans that want more lore into the world they love and that is great for me as a fan..but as a DM I was going to run a new group for their first DnD experience and there are far better campaign books that ease you and your group in.

It's a setting book, not an adventure or campaign, so I figured that was kind of to be expected.

Brashnir

It's a setting book, not an adventure or campaign, so I figured that was kind of to be expected.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I expected, which is why I didn't have any interest in getting it. As I believe I mentioned previously in this thread, I always create worlds for the campaigns I run, so it isn't of much use to me as a DM.

Genryu

Banned
So I just wanted to start getting in to this, but I'm not really sure where to start.

I started up episode 1 and it really doesn't seem like the first episode at all.

So Darin's character Sprigg was a character he played in a game with Matt's mom 37 years ago (Pre-Matt), and the reminiscing about all of the party getting wiped except for him cause he ran was a true story.

When him and Matt eventually met at a Blizzard recording session several years ago he didn't even know who he was cause Mercer isn't his real name.

So Darin's character Sprigg was a character he played in a game with Matt's mom 37 years ago (Pre-Matt), and the reminiscing about all of the party getting wiped except for him cause he ran was a true story.

When him and Matt eventually met at a Blizzard recording session several years ago he didn't even know who he was cause Mercer isn't his real name.

Yup. Darin talked about it quite awhile ago at a Con Q&A.

https://youtu.be/UrBpho6uIqs?t=4m40s

He knew Matt's Grandmother, Mother, and Father well before Matt was born.

Famassu

The
first
Raishan fight was probably the dumbest thing they have done. Like, who picks a fight against a dragon after having just had a tough fight against another one that badly depleted your resources. Btw, what episode number is it? Want to see if there's a Talks Machina about it

The
first
Raishan fight was probably the dumbest thing they have done. Like, who picks a fight against a dragon after having just had a tough fight against another one that badly depleted your resources. Btw, what episode number is it? Want to see if there's a Talks Machina about it

79 or 80. somewhere around there

Sylas

Yeah, that's pretty much what I expected, which is why I didn't have any interest in getting it. As I believe I mentioned previously in this thread, I always create worlds for the campaigns I run, so it isn't of much use to me as a DM.
I'm enjoying it since it's a fun way to get some ideas that I can tweak. The Vestiges in particular are interesting to me. The new class options are pretty met and some of the feats he includes are hilarious. The ability to blow all of your 1st and 2nd level spells in one turn? Beautiful.

Deborah Ann Woll is being interviewed on DnD's twitch channel right now.

https://www.twitch.tv/dnd

When asked if she watched Critical Role, she admitted that she was invited to guest on the show but when she watched it live and saw the chat, she was intimidated by the criticism the chat gives the players. It didn't really ring true to her interpretation of DnD. But after being on the upcoming season of Force Grey with Matt as DM, she gave it another shot. Now she just blocks the chat with a paper.

Famassu

Deborah Ann Woll is being interviewed on DnD's twitch channel right now.

https://www.twitch.tv/dnd

When asked if she watched Critical Role, she admitted that she was invited to guest on the show but when she watched it live and saw the chat, she was intimidated by the criticism the chat gives the players. It didn't really ring true to her interpretation of DnD. But after being on the upcoming season of Force Grey with Matt as DM, she gave it another shot. Now she just blocks the chat with a paper.
Why doesn't she just hide the chat? :D That said, yes, Twitch chat (of popular users/channels), much like Youtube comments, is a cancer. Anal people without joy in the world being anal & without joy, trolls being trolls and generally just deplorable people being deplorable because they can.

Maximo

Ooh, brother. Pat Rothfuss really brings the game to a screeching halt doesn't he.

He can get a bit much you can tell hes a certain class of writer often out loud says what the character might or might not know, narrating the purpose of his character rather then just fucking going with the flow and *doing*.

Why doesn't she just hide the chat? :D That said, yes, Twitch chat (of popular users/channels), much like Youtube comments, is a cancer. Anal people without joy in the world being anal & without joy, trolls being trolls and generally just deplorable people being deplorable because they can.

Yeah, I assume she just doesn't know the features of Twitch with the chat hiding option.

In the early episodes the channel had the chat going on the stream overlay so you couldn't hide it. Maybe that is what she is talking about. I would just watch in full screen otherwise.

Brashnir

This week was a bit of a waste of Darin De Paul. Had barely anything to do in the first half, was gone by the second half.

I thought it was cool that he showed up again to see his character off, and was nice that he had the tact to step aside when it was clear his character was only an aside in that whole scene.

Matt currently on that Mothership show right now.

*watching*

Are we getting a third Halfgod in the party now?

EDIT: Holy shit, everyone is getting Godded this ep.

Half-gods? They got boons, nothing more. Think of them like class abilities. Which many of them are. Like Scanlan's is taken from Knowledge Cleric.

Edit: Today is Travis' bday

Top Bottom