• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Critically acclaimed games that just do not click for you?

gypsygib

Fallout 4, to me it's so boring with an extremely dreary setting.

MGS5 - also boring and MGS is my favourite series of all time. The lack of story (and that grizzly alcoholic sounding guy pretending to be the legendary soldier but sounding like an unsure rookie grunt) destroyed this game for me which is an utter shame because the gameplay is very refined. The open world was kind of boring as well.

dubc35

Demon's Souls - found it rather boring. I didn't find it to be very fun (not blaming difficulty setting)
The Last of Us - just couldn't get into it, will try again eventually
MGS 4, which resulted in never playing V. I have Ground Zeroes but have not played much.
Persona 3 Portable - It was ok but seemed very repetitive
Final Fantasy Tactics....actually any SRPG and I've tried a lot: FFT, Fire Emblem, Disgaea, Jeane D'Arc, La Pucelle Tactics, etc

I can't get into Animal Crossing. I've read reviews that talk about living in this virtual town but there's nothing to do but fish and push the fruit off trees for five minutes each day.

MGSV, I genuinely think that it is not a good game and the looser structure murders its replay value.

I replay MGS3 from time to time, it is very unlikely that I'll do the same for V.

Aters

Some of the posts in this thread are just ridiculous. I mean I can understand someone saying they didn't like The Last Of Us OR Uncharted OR God Of War OR Dark Souls.

But some of the posts where people are picking 5 or 6 games that include stuff like GTA(series), MGS, RDR, Souls series just seems silly. I would love to know what kind of games these people enjoy. I'm fine with some people not enjoying a "mainstream" or AAA game here and there. Hell i'm guilty of that.

I think what bothers me most is when people give these vague statements like "it's boring". This thread should be called, see who can dislike the game with the most critical acclaim.

I don't care for any of those games, and I can give specific reasons for all of them.
GTA: I don't like criminals in real life, and I don't want to play as one in videogames.
MGS: Unfriendly to newcomers. I feel like I can never get into the story if I don't start from the first one.
RDR: I guess I just don't care about cowboys.
Souls: Slow combat, lack of story, some monster designs are disturbing.
I can easily add another 20 critically acclaimed franchises to this list.

If I stick with these games longer, I might fell in love with them. But why should I when I have plenty of other games to enjoy?

luminous

I can only recall Red Dead Redemption right now. I've always been a fan of the GTA series but this was just... really not fun or in any way interesting to me. I think I might just not like the cowboy setting stuff after all tho

Splatoon. I really tried to like it. I just didn't have the time to play often and I get like the matches were to short. Gamestop gave me almost $30 for it.

Artdayne

Most recently, Assassin's Creed Syndicate. Fallout 3 and 4, Shadow of Mordor.

The Fallout games generally don't appeal to me because I just have a hard time looking at the drab brown ugly landscapes for hours on end. I do like the Elder Scrolls games, the fantasy genre appeals to me more than the post-apocalypse I guess. I love Lord of the Rings but Shadow of Mordor was just a disappointment. The Nemesis System sounded really appealing but as i played through it, it ultimately felt meaningless because no matter what you did there were an endless supply of regenerating orcs where it didn't feel like anything you did mattered. The combat wasn't that great either. Assassin's Creed Syndicate was a disappointment because I heard great things about it but I was just very disappointed with the gameplay. I hate how easy it is and it just felt like more of the same with the other Ass Creed games I've played.

The Tomb Raider reboot had way too damn many qte's and scripted sequences. Irritating as hell when I just wanted a shooter/puzzle platformer.

Also, every Assassin's Creed that wasn't IV. Even parts of IV were infected with the dullness that hangs over the series like a raincloud.

UberLevi

Kotor. It's just too dated and I'm not really a Star Wars kinda guy to begin with.

The entirety of Rockstar as well. Couldn't get into Red Dead, GTA 5, or Max Payne.

AU Tiger

GTA SA, 4 and 5.

I played the piss out of vice city and GTA 3 but for whatever reasons, none of them after vice city really clicked for me. I was more interested in the bethesda open world stuff at that point. Maybe the same reasons that I haven't really enjoyed any of the AC games (even 2 and brotherhood)

I also really don't find much enjoyment with MOBA's, MMO's or any of the FF games after the SNES ones.

Never cared for the pokemon games, hate fighting games in general (tried all the SF, smash, etc games)

:/

Edit: I LOVED RDR though for some reason. Never played much past the mexico stuff but really enjoyed what I did play of it.

I've wasted a LOT of money on a lot of really really great games that I just can't seem to get into. I think that if I didn't buy so many games so frequently and HAD to play like 1 game per few weeks and just couldn't financially binge on stuff like this I would like a lot more games than I do.

I really can't stand GTA. I hate the way the characters are all assholes, I mean I know they are supposed to be criminals and whatnot but they really aren't very redeemable as people in anyway. And this is coming from someone who found things to like in Vincent from Catherine. That and they use tons of lazy stereotypes and portray complex issues in such a nonchalant way despite the supposed 'realism' of the world. It's extremely jarring, like the torture mission in GTAV. I know people say it is satire, but it really doesn't seem to be making any social commentary at all, it's just throwing stereo types at you without commenting or having any sort of message.

As for the gameplay, the fact that you have to mash X to run is the most asinine control decision I've ever experienced in a game. I cannot fathom why they continue to do this, if anything turned me off the game it's this. Maybe that's dumb, but man I hate having to repeatedly mash the X button just to sprint. The gameplay just feels very mediocre, the shooting is ok, the driving is ok, the 'sneaking' sucks, but none of it feels great. I never messed with the online mode so I can't speak to that.

UncleMeat

The Tomb Raider reboot had way too damn many qte's and scripted sequences. Irritating as hell when I just wanted a shooter/puzzle platformer.

Also, every Assassin's Creed that wasn't IV. Even parts of IV were infected with the dullness that hangs over the series like a raincloud.

Agree on both, I think AC IV might have just accidentally been good.

Jackpot

Banned
The Witness

Was floored when I saw it got 10/10 on IGN. It's such a miserable failure of a game on nearly every level.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Hey you don't like first party Nintendo games. Fine. Calling them trash. You are 100% wrong, and will always be wrong. I will even go as far as to say that Nintendo makes the best (meaning the most polished, visually impressive and diverse) games in the industry.

The rest of this I'll agree with but "visually impressive"? Their games have great art direction and animation, but there hasn't been a truly visually impressive first party Nintendo game in a very, very long time. At best they look great in comparison to previous installments of the same series, because Nintendo is so far behind the curve graphically.

zoukka

SoulBorne whatever. Same basic combat over the course of 4 games. Wait for an opening and strike, rinse and repeat. The number of moves is actually quite limited (Roll, weak attack, strong attack, shield, counterstrike more or less).
Why should I care about killing enemies after enemies when the combat itself isn't fun or deep but just tense because of the damage the ennemies do?

What games have more varied combat? Like in most games it's more about the enemies and how every one of them has a different way to move/attack. That combined with the great and varied level design makes for interesting combat situations.

Jonm1010

Banned
Every GTA before V.

I just could not ever last for more then a half dozen to a dozen missions before becoming utterly bored and quitting. I would get to a point where I gave up on story progress and would play a couple hours of mayhem and listen to the radio then never turn it back on again. Every. Single. Game.

The gameplay itself was always pretty bad and some of the quirks like failing a mission and having to go through the motions of driving back and listening to the annoying dialogue was so tedious that it wasn't worth it. Even in IV the checkpoint system was so archaic that I was literally shocked such poor progression management still existed in major games. Throw in the cellphone bullshit and that was it for me. I got drunk in game, started some shit, went nuts for an hour and never turned it back on.

GTA V

As for the gameplay, the fact that you have to mash X to run is the most asinine control decision I've ever experienced in a game. I cannot fathom why they continue to do this, if anything turned me off the game it's this. Maybe that's dumb, but man I hate having to repeatedly mash the X button just to sprint. The gameplay just feels very mediocre, the shooting is ok, the driving is ok, the 'sneaking' sucks, but none of it feels great. I never messed with the online mode so I can't speak to that.

I still haven't played GTAV because of this very reason. I hate it when developers don't take advantage of the analogue sticks. The same goes for forced walking in games. I really dislike it. I feel like Assassin's Creed is guilty of this as well with its forced walk state regardless of how far i push the control stick.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Anything by platinum games. I just don't like the style of their games.

Scalebound could be the game to change my mind though.

Soodanim

I came to say Uncharted 2. I finished 1 and even platinumed it, but I am going to have to turn the difficulty down to breeze through 2 and maybe 3 for the story. It just doesn't entertain me like it should.

Along the way down page 1 I saw mention of ICO and GTAV. I agree with both. ICO was playable when it was platforming, then it made me fight enemies with a stick. I'm glad I never bought it (nearly did) and just got it via PS+. GTAV lost the magic the old games have. It's better than 4, but I jut couldn't be arsed and uninstalled it without finishing. Never done that before with a GTA. I still maintain that if the old ones had better PC ports and controller support I'd be all over them. Maybe I'll give them a go with the Steam controller.

I also played the demo of Journey once. Once, that was it. I got absolutely nothing from it. I've read about people having these beautiful experiences and I'm sure people have been brought to tears, but that just confuses me. It's a thing in a desert that does some puzzles or some shit, why are you crying?

-shadow-

Devil May Cry 1 and 3.

I've played Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 before I started my first attempt at DMC through the HD collection and I just can't get get that click. The terrible camera angles, the slow pace of it all, the controls. It all just feels off to me and I can't enjoy these games because of it. 4 and even the despised reboot do away with most of my problems with the games, but I can see why people like these games less than the other two.

I'll try the games again after finishing DmC, but I doubt I'll be getting anywhere again.

This really is true. I really enjoyed 4 while I hate most of the others. Even the terrible parts of the other games didn't bother me because you had the variaty of the ships to break the tone of the game. I actually enjoyed the combination of the two a lot. Still disappointed they never released Rogue on the WiiU because of this.

Soodanim

SoulBorne whatever. Same basic combat over the course of 4 games. Wait for an opening and strike, rinse and repeat. The number of moves is actually quite limited (Roll, weak attack, strong attack, shield, counterstrike more or less).
Why should I care about killing enemies after enemies when the combat itself isn't fun or deep but just tense because of the damage the ennemies do?
I know this thread (and probably even my own post) is full of oversimplification, but this really stands out. In any game if you attack at the right time you will do well, if you don't dodge or evade you'll get hit, and if you attack at the wrong time game you're going to be punished, that's how melee combat works. Can't be mad at melee combat for being melee combat. I'm not a "git gud" person but the idea of Souls is learning how to deal with enemies, progressing, then moving on to a boss and then a new area to repeat the cycle.

Panzer Dragoon Saga. Found it by a stroke of luck at a garage sale. Played it for 2 hours. Immediately turned to sell it for the big bucks.

Never looked back, baby.

Halo: Reach. Completely broken up segments of shooting aliens with absolutely nobody to care about. At least the originals had coherent journeys to embark on and a compelling narrative.

Bedlam

The Uncharted games. I played 2 and 3. These games are great to look at but I was a bit bored at times. Neither the story, the level-design nor the shooting mechanics were interesting enough for me.

TLOU on the other hand...

Gravity Rush is another one I don't get.

It's more like a tech demo than anything else. A decently pretty open world with fun traversal mechanics and absolutely nothing of any worth to do.

Yeah, you can collect some orbs, do some lame filler time attack sidequests, battle some unimaginative enemies with it's boring by-the-numbers combat, but thats it ?

The story didn't get anywhere, the art direction and OST weren't that great either.

Animal Crossing. I can see the appeal and know why people like it. They are virtual holidays, this tiny slice of escapism, your visit to a happier place where your animal friends love and care about you. It just never worked for me.

#deadinside

The Last of Us. Game was fun to play but the story felt average to me. I guessed everything that was gonna happen before it happened. I get its suppose to be more about the characters but they weren't that interesting imo. Still gameplay was fun though. Just don't see it as amazing as other people.

Call of Duty

Everyone plays it, everyone praises it, everyone mindlessly buys it. I just CANT

It's legit trash ahahshdhk!

It's just not for me

Slaytoon is a better shooter

mariah-wave-bye.gif

vato_loco

This is the Assasins Creed franchise for me. I tried playing them and they just don't click. I really don't care about them, not even with the most awesome of trailers do I get any sort of excited. I don't even know why, I just don't care for it.

Ocarina of Time is just not fun at all for me. I have tried many times and it is like the combination of early 3d level design and world building is an ugly and confusing version of the It's a Small World ride i just want off get me a Dark Souls instead of relive that Zelda 1 feel.

Bethesda RPGs. Exploration that rewards you mainly with mechanical benefits isn't enough for me. I'm a sucker for fun dialogues, interesting characters, cool quests and just anything related to writing. I don't find these things in their games in high quality. On this note I'll add that I never got the "make your own adventure" argument.

I don't hate the games. I can enjoy sinking some time in Skyrim. But I don't understand why they're lauded so much when the lackluster writing makes the world wooden and lifeless, like in Skyrim, or just dumb, like in Fallout 4.

Nielm

Skyrim and Fallout 4 too.

Both suffer from the same issues for me: uninteresting worlds (especially Skyrim), not very well written dialogue and lackluster quests. If an RPG has issues like these, then I can't see myself playing it for 50+ hours.

Coulis

Neo Member
Suda 51s games - Bought killer 7 and no more heroes but I felt like the gameplay was terrible and the story was boring as hell. Art Direction was nice i guess.

prag16

Banned
The Witness

Was floored when I saw it got 10/10 on IGN. It's such a miserable failure of a game on nearly every level.

I loved this game... for about 3-4 hours. The novelty wore off quickly. I unlocked the mountaintop before I TOTALLY lost interest, then the rest of my interest was gone.

Some cool environments and creative stuff, and I personally wouldn't go nearly as far as "miserable failure on every level", but yeah, line puzzles apparently can only take you so far. And the ending (which I youtube'd since I had lost all interest in actually continuing to play the game by that point)... I mean, what? I would be like if in Myst, you get to D'Ni and there's just nobody there, and the game ends with a cinematic flyover of the island...

antitrop

I still haven't played GTAV because of this very reason. I hate it when developers don't take advantage of the analogue sticks. The same goes for forced walking in games. I really dislike it. I feel like Assassin's Creed is guilty of this as well with its forced walk state regardless of how far i push the control stick.

You don't have to mash X to sprint in GTA V. You can set the controls to "FPS" and just click in the left analog stick.

You can even use the FPS controls in third-person.

Top Bottom