• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CronusMAX now officially supports PS4 (Use Xbox Elite controller on PS4)

shanafan

-edit- I guess some older models don't support it, but they aren't very specific. if you can update it to 1.2 it will work, if it only updates to 1.1, nope :(

Mine is from 2014, and it works. I did the free upgrade to the CronusMAX Plus model.

Cleve

Hey guys, probably a stupid question, but this doesn't provide benefits for a PC gamer, does it?

Not really. They'll tell you it does with dumb shit like build in binds, but that's all stuff you can do on pc without paying $50. However if you want to play a couple console exclusives FPS games and can't imagine not using a kb/m, it can kind of do that.

I'm really interested in using my Xbox One (or even 360) controller on my PS4, but the price of the peripheral and even hints of frying USB ports or firmware blocking are really making me skeptical.

OneUh8

This is cool I know a couple people who for some reason does not like the dual shock controllers. This should help them :)

Tregard

Soothsayer
Got some CronusMAX questions:

My room-mates own Xbox Ones, but I have a PS4, naturally all of the splitscreen games we own are on their Xbone. Would the CronusMAX allow me to use my DS4 on their Xbone and play co-op with them? Would it work wirelessly?

Gratzi

shanafan

Got some CronusMAX questions:

My room-mates own Xbox Ones, but I have a PS4, naturally all of the splitscreen games we own are on their Xbone. Would the CronusMAX allow me to use my DS4 on their Xbone and play co-op with them? Would it work wirelessly?

Gratzi

It's a good question to ask their forums, but because the DS4 and DS3 controllers are bluetooth wireless, you should be able to use a bluetooth and sync it with the DS4 controller. So in essence, this SHOULD work.

Vice versa though, as far as my understanding goes, Xbox One controllers need to be wired to work with the PS4.

How is the input lag? Is it worse than using a regular ps4 controller?

Is the lag with the DS4? Hmm, never encountered any major issues. But overall, less than 1 ms with the CronusMAX. I use it with FPS, and no issues.

I'm really interested in using my Xbox One (or even 360) controller on my PS4, but the price of the peripheral and even hints of frying USB ports or firmware blocking are really making me skeptical.

Firmware blocking will not happen. It would have happened by now ;) And, any concern of USB ports frying would really be a thing of the past with this peripheral, such as launch units, etc. CronusMAX has come a long way since the beginning.

Dambrosi

Banned
This might be a game changer for me, if I can use the Xbox one pad on the PS4 I will happily play all the shooters on it. It will also tempt me to buy a elite controller.

Need to find somewhere to buy this in the UK.
Play Asia are still selling the Street Fighter X Tekken TE Fightstick Pro with a CronusMax + and some Street Fighter 2 gatcha toys packed with it for free, if you're willing to wait a couple weeks - http://www.play-asia.com/street-fighter-x-tekken-arcade-fightstick-pro-tournament-edition/13/704krj. That's how I got mine, and this news makes me very happy. Roll on the next SFV beta phase!

BigDug13

Very low, but if you're worried about it, spend more and get a XIM. It's the only device I know of that is a pure pass through of a native controller. The PS4/XBone can't tell the difference. Pretty neat.

Wait. With XIM I can buy an XBO or PS4 Rock Band 4 drum set and use it on my 360 RB3?

MIMF

Do all the elite controller features such as the button remapping and the sensibility curves adjustment work when using it in a PS4 with this device?

Dambrosi

Banned
About effing time. Thank you Cronus. Fuck you Sony. It's so annoying having the Cronus disconnect after 10 minutes while playing MKX.
Tell me about it. It was hellishly annoying using my Fighting Commander 3 with the SFV beta due to the constant 10-minute authentication disconnects - if it happened during a match with a flowchart Mika, you were pretty much dead. I'm glad I don't have to worry about that anymore, and can now just blame my own lack of skill instead :p

Do all the elite controller features such as the button remapping and the sensibility curves adjustment work when using it in a PS4 with this device?
That depends. Do you need to use the Xbox One to tweak those settings? If not, then you should be fine, but if you do, then you're SOL.

Tell me about it. It was hellishly annoying using my Fighting Commander 3 with the SFV beta due to the constant 10-minute authentication disconnects - if it happened during a match with a flowchart Mika, you were pretty much dead. I'm glad I don't have to worry about that anymore, and can now just blame my own lack of skill instead :p

That depends. Do you need to use the Xbox One to tweak those settings? If not, then you should be fine, but if you do, then you're SOL.

...*googles Flowchart R.Mika*

MIMF

I got the Xbox One, but not the elite controller yet as its release date in my country is 26th this month. So in this case, every setup/configuration I could do from the Xbox one to the controller is carried over to the PS4 use of it?

I do not really know if the buttons remmaping and sensibilty curves are something directed to the elite controller hardware (and therefore it should work with the cronusmax) or if there is any kind of software layer behing the scenes.

shanafan

I got the Xbox One, but not the elite controller yet as its release date in my country is 26th this month. So in this case, every setup/configuration I could do from the Xbox one to the controller is carried over to the PS4 use of it?

I do not really know if the buttons remmaping and sensibilty curves are something directed to the elite controller hardware (and therefore it should work with the cronusmax) or if there is any kind of software layer behing the scenes.

I haven't tweaked how the triggers perform, but I have done multiple different button schemes. With the elite controller, there is a switch on the front to swap between a preset 1 setting and a preset 2 setting. So, I edit the button scheme on the Xbox One, then save it to the presets on the front of the controller.

I then connect the Elite to the PS4, and the switch on the front easily goes between presets.

Is it possible to remap the buttons on the Elite controller with Windows or do I need a Xbox One?

Really good question. Not sure! If the controller works with Windows, I would imagine that maybe it does? I would recommend checking the CronusMAX forums as I am sure it has been asked before ;)

MIMF

I haven't tweaked how the triggers perform, but I have done multiple different button schemes. With the elite controller, there is a switch on the front to swap between a preset 1 setting and a preset 2 setting. So, I edit the button scheme on the Xbox One, then save it to the presets on the front of the controller.

I then connect the Elite to the PS4, and the switch on the front easily goes between presets.

Thanks a lot for the info!

Could you try the sticks sensibility curves behaviour as well?

b0bbyJ03

Is it possible to remap the buttons on the Elite controller with Windows or do I need a Xbox One?

you can do it on the Windows app. I've had the Elite controller since day one and bought a Cronusmax to use it on PS4. It worked with a few caveats (RT also registered LT for some reason, and I had to use a script to fix it) and the authentication (which was not really a problem as you can do it manually whenever).

I see a lot of questions so ill answer some of the ones I remember off the top of my head

1. No input lag at all. Im very sensitive to that and I played a good amount of BF4 it and it was perfect.

2. The paddles work perfectly and the button mappings are saved onto the controller itself so, for example, if you program the lower right paddle to X on your xbox or PC then when you connect it to PS4 it will still be X.

3. The authentication is quick and only takes half a second. you can just reset the timer when you die or hide behind something. The new firmware fixes this issue but you need a USB hub, which I will test this weekend.

TP-DK

you can do it on the Windows app. I've had the Elite controller since day one and bought a Cronusmax to use it on PS4. It worked with a few caveats (RT also registered LT for some reason, and I had to use a script to fix it) and the authentication (which was not really a problem as you can do it manually whenever).

I see a lot of questions so ill answer some of the ones I remember off the top of my head

1. No input lag at all. Im very sensitive to that and I played a good amount of BF4 it and it was perfect.

2. The paddles work perfectly and the button mappings are saved onto the controller itself so, for example, if you program the lower right paddle to X on your xbox or PC then when you connect it to PS4 it will still be X.

3. The authentication is quick and only takes half a second. you can just reset the timer when you die or hide behind something. The new firmware fixes this issue but you need a USB hub, which I will test this weekend.

This is great thanks!

Im gonna a Cronusmax right away then.

Freiya

I'm tempted to get this or the brook adapter. Brook is like 20$ cheaper but not all in 1 like the chro us. Using ds4 for fps is horrible and I really love that lunar controller. Do mics work with these things?

shanafan

I believe they are working on that at the moment per their forums.

Once they get this working wirelessly.. Im all over it! If only for the way better battery life than the DS4 :)

Yeah I think the wireless issue is that Xbox One controllers are not bluetooth IIRC. The DS4 and Wii U Pro controller are bluetooth, so a simple bluetooth dongle works great with the CronusMAX, and thus use those controllers wirelessly on Xbox One or PS4.

Fergie

Banned
I'm tempted to get this or the brook adapter. Brook is like 20$ cheaper but not all in 1 like the chro us. Using ds4 for fps is horrible and I really love that lunar controller. Do mics work with these things?
Does the Brook work with for example, a XB1 controller on PS4?

The Brook site is confusing. Cronus is great but £40+ for something I'll use for FIFA only, is a bit too much. Already have a XB1 controller for PC use anyway.

Just need something easy, that enables me to use XB1/360 controller on PS4.

Dambrosi

Banned
This is great thanks!

Im gonna a Cronusmax right away then.
Don't forget to buy it from Play Asia, you'll get a Madcatz TE fightstick and some capsule toys for free!* 😀 (*2 week wait for delivery and customs charges may apply)

Freiya

Does the Brook work with for example, a XB1 controller on PS4?

The Brook site is confusing. Cronus is great but £40+ for something I'll use for FIFA only, is a bit too much. Already have a XB1 controller for PC use anyway.

Just need something easy, that enables me to use XB1/360 controller on PS4.
Yes they have a bunch of different adapters. The pink and or dark green adapter is the one you want. Pink is xb1 to ps4 and dark green is 360 and xb1 to ps4 and cost 10$ more
Apparently they are working on adding wireless support with the new xb1 adapter same as chronus too.

b0bbyJ03

So the Xbox one controller must be hard wired?

What if you buy the new wireless adaptor for pc?

For the record, the adapter works but you have to jump though some hopes. The cronusmax has and PC programming port that can be connected to a PC at the same time as your ps4. it was their original way of getting around the authentication timer by using a feature called max input. That feature also lets you connect the wireless adapter but unless you have a PC near your PS4, or a laptop that you can use, its just too inconvenient. I'm sure for some its better than nothing tho.

I have 2 Xbox One controllers and 2 Dualshock 4s. Does this essentially solve my issue of being screwed with 4 player games?
Dongle is $10 more than a controller on Amazon. If it also lets you use PS4 controllers on the bone, and that matters to you, then it's a money saver.

Yes they have a bunch of different adapters. The pink and or dark green adapter is the one you want. Pink is xb1 to ps4 and dark green is 360 and xb1 to ps4 and cost 10$ more
Apparently they are working on adding wireless support with the new xb1 adapter same as chronus too.

Unfortunately, the brook adapters are useless (8 min timeout is back) right now due to the latest ps4 firmware. They are working on it of course.

With that said, I picked up one of these at best buy and it really works! It pretty much was plug n play. You do need a usb hub though and I was lucky I still had the one I got from rock band on ps3. Using the elite on ps4 is so badass.

I do wish cronus had better documentation for configuring it. I want to change the menu/back button to be a touchpad press as I do not need Share at all.

Also, you need to use windows to configure the cronusmax as they don't have a mac app.

shanafan

Unfortunately, the brook adapters are useless (8 min timeout is back) right now due to the latest ps4 firmware. They are working on it of course.

With that said, I picked up one of these at best buy and it really works! It pretty much was plug n play. You do need a usb hub though and I was lucky I still had the one I got from rock band on ps3. Using the elite on ps4 is so badass.

I do wish cronus had better documentation for configuring it. I want to change the menu/back button to be a touchpad press as I do not need Share at all.

Also, you need to use windows to configure the cronusmax as they don't have a mac app.

With the new update, the Back button on the Xbox One controller functions as Share? I thought holding Back and pressing R3 was the Share button.

Max_Po

Banned
Does this work on TitanOne....I got TitanIne after reading a Gaffer's post about how the original developer has moved over to his own Adapter....TitanOne

With the new update, the Back button on the Xbox One controller functions as Share? I thought holding Back and pressing R3 was the Share button.

Yup. This might be how it is when using a hub though. All i did was update the cronusmax to firmware 1.20 then plug the dualshock4 and xb1 elite into the hub. So I didn't load any profiles or anything.

Shaneus

Aren't these things banned at tournaments for frying usb ports?

Edit: Did some googling and yeah.

Edit 2: So apparently this is a new Cronus team designing this stuff. Hmm.
That "new Cronus" stuff was posted in Jan last year. I thought they had problems since then as well?

Still waiting for a team to come up with a simplified way of using my G27 with the PS4. We now know it can be done, it just needs to be convenient now.

shanafan

So I need Cronus + usb dock + 2 usb cables + ps4 controller to make my elite controller work on ps4?

If you don't want to do the button combination on the controller every 5-7 minutes for authentication purposes.

Having a PS4 controller hooked up the same USB hub as the Xbox One controller allows you not to worry about the authentication anymore.

Top Bottom