• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross-buy for 3DS -> Wii U (but not vice-versa) now possible only in Europe

https://twitter.com/NintenDaan/status/483521921930518528

cross-buydzs7u.png

[/B]

Just because 1 external dev doing cross buy doesn't mean anything will change regarding Nintendo. What a sensationalist title, I thought it was Nintendo suddenly enabling cross buy in all of its back catalogue.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So you mean this hasn't been done before? Your posts doesn't make any sense at all.

- Getting a discount is not a cross-buy.
- Pushmo and Pushmo World are both different games.

This is a confirmation that it's technically possible to do on current Nintendo systems, which is a good thing. And in this case it's cross-buy in every sense of the word. No idea what you're talking about. But I guess there will always be people acting negatively in positive Nintendo news threads.

thank you ;p
Btw, I'm still trying to understand if the offer is a two-way promotion or if you have to download the 3ds version first...

Just because 1 external dev doing cross buy doesn't mean anything will change regarding Nintendo. What a sensationalist title, I thought it was Nintendo suddenly enabling cross buy in all of its back catalogue.

Why everything on Nintendo must be related to Nintendo games?
This is a new opportunity open by the NNIND "account system" and it's something worth for WiiU and 3DS owner.
I'm sorry I hurt you with my title, especially becaus I really like your avatar :p

If it's a 100% discount it is.

If you usually count the cross-buy as a "normal promotion", I'm ok with that.

gogogow

If it's a 100% discount it is.

We're are talking about real examples here.
So do you get a 100% discount with the Pushmo and Pushmo World example?
Even then, it would be a exception to the rule, since both are different games.

What's so sensationalist about the thread title? It only says that cross-buy is possible. Nothing more, nothing less.

Seems like it's you that's the problem, not the OP's thread title.
You are really something, to read "Cross-buy now possible on Nintendo consoles" as "Nintendo enabling cross buy in all of it's back catalogue".

possible
ˈpɒsɪb(ə)l/
adjective
adjective: possible

able to be done or achieved.

that may exist or happen, but that is not certain or probable.

But this is just a tweaking of the variables, rather than some whole new system. There's no indication that this is anything other than a one-off promotion.

Frodo

I find it funny that people see Nintendo as this very greedy company, because I have more than a few (full fledged, retail) games on my 3DS and on my Wii U they gave me for free.

But no, I don't think SSB will be cross buy. They will probably give you a 30% discount, though.

gogogow

But this is just a tweaking of the variables, rather than some whole new system. There's no indication that this is anything other than a one-off promotion.

I didn't say otherwise other than the fact that the cross-buy feature is there and Nintendo is fine with it if devs/pubs decides to use it.

Bytefreak

Neo Member
Really cool seeing a developer adopt this practice within Nintendo's ecosystem. Now we just need to see more people follow his example.

Would love to see Nintendo use this themselves on their Retro collections, If I own GBA games digitally I should be able to play them on both consoles!

Wot

How is Nintendo not making a big deal about this??!

Nintendo rarely sings their own praises; they prefer to let the media make them self-evident.

A fine example of this was when Iwata told a shareholder that, despite his impressions that Nintendo wasn't helping with natural disasters, they actually were assisting the relief effort of at least one domestic natural disaster by sending survivors free Wiis. The shareholder never heard of this because the media rarely, if ever, mentioned it.

ramparter

Banned
Pushmo and Pushmo world are not the same game.

The 100% discount refers to quids probably.

SmokeMaxX

This needs to happen. I can't understand why it's not already done. It's cost them at least one sale from me, before I realized it wasn't possible.
It's going to cost them about a dozen sales from me. There are times I want to gift games to friends so that the developer is supported (and friends get an awesome game) but the only way I can do it now is giving them eShop credit. I hope they get their act together by the time Bayonetta 2 releases.

Damian.

Banned
Very nice !!!

...wait what ? They dont have many games that are on WiiU and 3DS - they only titles would be Virtual Console games and they wont introduce Cross-Buy there this generation, because it would piss off the customer who already double dipped for games like SMB3.

Instead of thinking about it like "pissing off some people", they should be thinking about it like "stop fucking everyone as a whole". Offer them a free download or something.

Jackano

Seriously enough, a price reduction on SSB Wii U is possible. This will be on part with Iwata's thinking of new way to buy games.

gogogow

This needs to happen. I can't understand why it's not already done. It's cost them at least one sale from me, before I realized it wasn't possible.

Neither of the three has done it, no? Because of the different currencies/price differences, different versions of games (US/EU/JP). Even if (the three) allowed gifting, there would be a lot of restrictions. I dont think anyone is going to be happy.

Even Steam is restricting gifting from certain regions and/or allows publishers to flag certain games.

Yagharek

It is important though because it demonstrates the means to do it is already there now. It removes all excuses any publisher might make as to why they cannot enable cross-buy.

It creates the consumer expectation. That's a good - and important - development.

I need this on VC ASAP

Sensationalist? I'm pretty sure the title says POSSIBLE, which means it's is now POSSIBLE to do this

gogogow

Nintendo needs this on their virtual console games. Fuck buying them twice.

Even if Nintendo doesn't allow cross-buy on their VC games, like ever, Nintendo should at least give you a nice discount. Like 50% discount when you own one of the two versions and 75% discount when you buy both within a week of release as a limited time promotion.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Neither of the three has done it, no? Because of the different currencies/price differences, different versions of games (US/EU/JP). Even if (the three) allowed gifting, there would be a lot of restrictions. I dont think anyone is going to be happy.

Even Steam is restricting gifting from certain regions and/or allows publishers to flag certain games.

Well, it was possible to gift downloadable games on the Wii (even if probably region-locked) so I'd totally expect them to repeat that good feature on the Wii U. That's unfortunate

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
If Showel Knight gets a Cross Buy treatment, I would back home in a Hurry and buy it.

The game really is interesting, but I have not decided wich version to buy. 3D or HD, or none for the doubts? With the Cross this would become a Must Buy.

Mithos

Nice news, now Nintendo need to start fixing their NNID system. I mean there are people that...

1. Bought Wii U, registered NNID: Name-123
2. Bought 3DS, registered NNID: Name-123 and thus linked them.
3. Sold Wii U.
4. Rebought Wii U and can't use NNID: Name-123 anymore.

Nintendo needs an easy customer friendly way to move NNID's between hardware, that is 100% the same for everyone, not random results as it is now.

daydream

Banned
Dang, good for them! More offers like that, please..

.. maybe a "we're sorry for the delay, EU" cross-buy offer for Shovel Knight?

Bradach

If Showel Knight gets a Cross Buy treatment, I would back home in a Hurry and buy it.

The game really is interesting, but I have not decided wich version to buy. 3D or HD, or none for the doubts? With the Cross this would become a Must Buy.

Agreed. I'm gonna be on the fence for the next while on Shovel knight. If they made it cross buy (with cross save?) I would buy it today.

I might end up buying it on a steam sale otherwise.

That's nice. Hopefully others do the same. I doubt Nintendo will do this with VC on 3DS and Wii U, though. Or any of their games. I think we will have to wait until Nintendo's next systems for VC you can play on either your console or 4DS, because they will just play the same games. Nintendo would have mentioned it if they planned to do this for their games before letting a 3rd party do it first.

jeffers

Not in NA at launch:

"We are very excited by this promotion as it's the first time this happens - as far as I know. It's a proof that Nintendo is making efforts in giving more control to the developer on its pricing and promotions. I'm glad that our players will be able to play on 3DS and WiiU for the price of one game. It's a shame that it's only in Europe yet but hopefully this cross buy operation will be appreciated and the technical contraints that prevented it to happen in the US will be fixed."
Quote from Emeric Thoa, from the place you Go to for Nintendo news.

jts

...hate me...
I hope the VC will do be like that at some point... I've been spoiled rotten by Sony and the PS1 Classics being playable on three different platforms, and the PSP games working on PSP and Vita.
It's great, but I'm fairly sure those are the same binaries that happen to play across 2 or 3 platforms. Unfortunately, it's not the same on Nintendo consoles. Even VC releases are encapsulated in a custom emulator, I believe.

In the future we may see Nintendo using an unified architecture across their handhelds and home consoles, and thus cross-purchases, cross-releases etc will much more common.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Nintendo rarely sings their own praises; they prefer to let the media make them self-evident.

A fine example of this was when Iwata told a shareholder that, despite his impressions that Nintendo wasn't helping with natural disasters, they actually were assisting the relief effort of at least one domestic natural disaster by sending survivors free Wiis. The shareholder never heard of this because the media rarely, if ever, mentioned it.

This is what I love about Nintendo, they are so humble and down to earth and not arrogant like Sony.

Nice news, now Nintendo need to start fixing their NNID system. I mean there are people that...

1. Bought Wii U, registered NNID: Name-123
2. Bought 3DS, registered NNID: Name-123 and thus linked them.
3. Sold Wii U.
4. Rebought Wii U and can't use NNID: Name-123 anymore.

Nintendo needs an easy customer friendly way to move NNID's between hardware, that is 100% the same for everyone, not random results as it is now.

If People are selling their Wii U without unlinking their NNID first then that's their fault.

Still I get the feeling that once the Web version of the E-shop launches it will have the option of unlinking NNID.

Top Bottom