• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross game voice chat rumored for Ps3 PSN+

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
havent read the thread (just the title) haha so don't know the source but I can confirm that that's not a rumor

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
yeah, someone said pretty much what i thought on the issue. Just because the feature is there in xbox live doesnt mean you get its full worth without paying for xbox live gold. cross-game chatting offline games while you're online with silver is very situational and almost never happens. Essentially you do pay for cross-game chat, because the only logical reason to use it is while playing online games. i dont even know about the party chat thing, whether or not you need gold for that or not.

that's even if they charge for it, but "exclusive features" can include cross-game chat for all we know.

MMaRsu

Banned
Yoboman said:
What the heck is the point of cross game chat if you're not playing online?:lol

Why do you have to play online to talk to someone else? You can still be online but just not playing online and want to talk to a friend who is playing someone else?

How are you not figuring this out :lol :lol

John Harker said:
havent read the thread (just the title) haha so don't know the source but I can confirm that that's not a rumor

:eek:

spwolf

Honestly, Sony should just charge for it... they are already giving most important thing for free. People will never be happy anyway.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
and while I know all ive said has been 100% true, ill drop a "in its current form" before I get hung by my situation sometime down the future should it change :lol (but a road map is a road map)

John Harker said:
and while I know all ive said has been 100% true, ill drop a "in its current form" before I get hung by my situation sometime down the future should it change :lol (but a road map is a road map)

Errr?

So no partychat up to 4 people?
What do you mean by "in it's current form"?

Ashes

Banned
Maybe Sony planned to have it in PSN+ but have taken it out at the last minute! i.e. it was in the original roadmap, but now they are thinking twice about it or it simply needs more testing/time etc.

gillFTR

Why are people using xbox silver as an example, yah its free on silver...but you dont get online play for free do you? paying for P2P is great.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm thinking that Sony maybe are holding off to see what kind of uptake PSN+ has, before deciding whether XG chat should be free or not.

If PSN+ uptake is slow, it would be a quick and easy fix to improve their value proposition.

Clear said:
I'm thinking that Sony maybe are holding off to see what kind of uptake PSN+ has, before deciding whether XG chat should be free or not.

If PSN+ uptake is slow, it would be a quick and easy fix to improve their value proposition.

Could be...
It would mean that we need to wait even longer before we can finally use the feature. =/

MMaRsu said:
Why do you have to play online to talk to someone else? You can still be online but just not playing online and want to talk to a friend who is playing someone else?

How are you not figuring this out :lol :lol

That's what Skype is for. You do realize we're talking about a gaming console, right?

MMaRsu

Banned
fortified_concept said:
That's what Skype is for. You do realize we're talking about a gaming console, right?

Do you not understand what I'm saying or are you just acting stupid :p.

I got friends from GAF and from other countries.. I dont have Skype and I dont have a headset for my laptop.

If I had silver I would still like to talk to my buddies from other countries while playing games.. who cares if I'm not playing a game online while I'm talking to my friends?

MMaRsu said:
Do you not understand what I'm saying or are you just acting stupid :p.

I got friends from GAF and from other countries.. I dont have Skype and I dont have a headset for my laptop.

If I had silver I would still like to talk to my buddies from other countries while playing games.. who cares if I'm not playing a game online while I'm talking to my friends?

So you're talking about the slim possibility of someone who doesn't have a 10$ headset? Skype is free btw, you just download it from the official site. It's a 2MB download iirc.

There's a chance I'm still not getting your point btw. :)

fortified_concept said:
So you're talking about the slim possibility of someone who doesn't have a 5$ headset? Skype is free btw, you just download it from the official site. It's a 2MB download iirc.

It's not very convenient when your computer isn't near your PS3, now is it? And asside from that, it would require your PSN friends to have Skype as well, which of course not everyone has...

It would be a great feature to have, and everyone thas has used it on Xbox Live knows exactly what I'm talking about.

qwerty2k

Someone i know has said they've heard from Sony that cross game chat is coming, as is cloud based game saves. (i know it sounds dodgy me saying 'oh yeah someone i know said they heard from x' but im just passing on what ive been told)

magicaltrevor said:
It's not very convenient when your computer isn't near your PS3, now is it? And asside from that, it would require your PSN friends to have Skype as well, which of course not everyone has...

It would be a great feature to have, and everyone thas has used it on Xbox Live knows exactly what I'm talking about.

We're not talking about playing online, remember? Since it costs money to play online for XBL we're assuming that you don't have XBL friends since you're not paying for the service thus not using it (much like I do).

Anyway, maybe opinion is subjective on this. I simply don't see the point of chatting while playing single player games which I consider quite distracting and useless or making a friends list on a service that you never use for its primary purpose.

qwerty2k said:
Someone i know has said they've heard from Sony that cross game chat is coming, as is cloud based game saves. (i know it sounds dodgy me saying 'oh yeah someone i know said they heard from x' but im just passing on what ive been told)

This sounds like a lock, no? Seeing as how Portal 2 is using steamworks...

Concerning Cross-game Voice Chat; James Thorpe replied to a comment on the EU.Blog:

The current features of PlayStation Plus are those listed in my post above – Games & special offers, full game trial and automatic downloads. We understand that many of you are asking for a cross-game chat feature, we said during our presentation that the service will evolve over time but I can’t guarantee anything at this time.

WTF? They're really vague about this, eventhough lots of people confronted them with the fact that it originally got listed on several official EU PlayStation-websites.

It seems we're not getting the feature anytime soon =(

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
magicaltrevor said:
Concerning Cross-game Voice Chat; James Thorpe replied to a comment on the EU.Blog:

WTF? They're really vague about this, eventhough lots of people confronted them with the fact that it originally got listed on several official EU PlayStation-websites.

It seems we're not getting the feature anytime soon =(

He's Product Manager PlayStation Network and can't elaborate more? Jeez.

Averon

I've given up on cross-game chat from Sony this generation. If Sony is still vague on this issue after 4 years and even after their announcement of PSN+, this tells me that there is some fundamental issue with PSN and/or PS3 that's hindering Sony from implementing it.

davepoobond said:
yeah, someone said pretty much what i thought on the issue. Just because the feature is there in xbox live doesnt mean you get its full worth without paying for xbox live gold. cross-game chatting offline games while you're online with silver is very situational and almost never happens. Essentially you do pay for cross-game chat, because the only logical reason to use it is while playing online games. i dont even know about the party chat thing, whether or not you need gold for that or not.

But you don't pay for it since you can do it with silver accounts. Any way you slice it, dice it, or spin it... cross game chat has been a free feature of XBL since the day it launched 5 years ago.

Oh, and I did a cross game chat with a silver buddy last night as he was asking advice on how to get the achievement for not losing any dice while playing liars dice in RDR.

It's really hard to believe that they didn't pull this XGchat shit from the websites before making them available to the public. Is this a PR face save or a last minute bug discovery?

Top Bottom