• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross game voice chat rumored for Ps3 PSN+

Lothars

watership said:
You used HOME in your arguement and it is therefore invalid.

I don't see how his arguement is invalid and I could see Sony doing a seperate party system eventually anyway.

Yeef said:
I don't get it. What does any of the bolded stuff have to do with multiplayer?
Most of it does (messaging and comparing achievements via the website) but I included the other stuff just to bewilder and confuse people. Seriously though, it also falls into the larger point that Xbox Live on the whole is a better experience overall than PSN, and even PSN+ based upon what little we know.

PSN having free online play was an awesome way to go, I applaud Sony for it, and MS are assholes for not seeing the light on that end. I'd just like Sony to seal the deal with free cross-game chat. IF that existed I would have little problem shifting from Xbox to PS3 (I've had two xboxes die on me already). As it stands right now I'm not going to get cross-game chat because between me and my circle of PS3 friends we don't have enough multiplayer titles to make a subscription worthwhile.

So, in short - it sounds like this might be a great deal for some, just not for me, and that sucks.

For me it seems as if they are still deciding wether to include X game chat with PSN+ or for free. This point was already taken off from all playstation websites who had it, and it's not even included in the Playstation Plus press release.

What boggles my mind is why the hell joystiq didn't put a source, haven't updated their post by saying what they saw or followed the goddamn press release (to which i'm sure they have access) and are creating this clusterfuck. At this point we only have confirmation that cross game chat is goming, but we don't know if it will be included with PSN+.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
we will all be pleasantly surprised on the 22nd when 3.40 launches with XGChat for free. believe.

Wag

Bathtub_gag.jpg

No, No, No, No, NO!

You want cross game chat.. you got it! :lol

Glad I don't give a shit.. Wanna talk to me about some shit and arent in the same game as me.. I'll just use a cell phone.

As long as online play is still free, i'm just as happy with the psn as I was yesterday..

DeadGzuz

Banned
Never used this on the 360, won't use it on my PS3. I can't see the need for it, but I don't sit around chatting with "friends" who are playing other games, seems creepy.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Patriotsbball5460 said:
So this turned out to be fake? If so, I figured, it seemed like too big of a thing to not announce at the conference itself

more like they had second thoughts at the last minute.

Mrbob

I hope so. Making cross game chat a premium plus item after all this time waiting is a kick in the junk. And this is coming from someone who might subscribe to playstation plus depending on other details.

DeadGzuz said:
Never used this on the 360, won't use it on my PS3. I can't see the need for it, but I don't sit around chatting with "friends" who are playing other games, seems creepy.
You know, some of those friends are, get this, actual fucking friends in real life - meatspace, whatever you want to call it. The idea of chatting with em across games, NetFlixx, dashboard downloads, etc. while seeing if anybody wants to group up, or waiting for everybody to get their shit together - its a good thing. A great thing actually.

Thats how it usually goes on my xbox. I sign in, and usually seconds later get a party invite, and we either end up catching up, or getting a team together for some Borderlands, or Left 4 Dead, or GRAW2, MW2, etc. etc. etc. Sometimes we just talk for a bit and go into separate parties or sign out for the night. Whatever.

Its also about 1000% easier than dealing with a cellphone or typing a text with a controller. Every single hassle to casual play is removed, entirely. And once you're used to it, there is no going back.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
davepoobond said:
you pay for this on xbox live, why would it matter if you pay for it on ps3?

MMaRsu said:
You can't use cross game voice chat when you have silver? This is news to me ( though I've never had silver :p )

exactly.

Not sure why people are so shocked about this.
Whipped Spartan said:
Here you go gaf, This is the breakdown for silver and gold on XBL:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/joinlive.htm

They look pretty similar except the chat for 1 to 1 cross game is free on XBL.

this changed actually, when parties was introduced 1-1 became free

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
When Jack announced PSN+ at E3 I expected Voice chat (parties, messages etc) to be the first thing to mentioned on the list, it's so damn obvious, but I was surprised to see it didn't get mentioned at all. If they're gonna have a paid service, they at least have to match the basic features of the competitors like voice chat/messages/parties, all of the early excess demos and other bullshit is only secondary to that.

Dammit Sony.

360-GOLD&SILVER have Xgame chat, but MP is GOLD members only.
PS3-PSN+&PSN Vanilla have MP for free, but PSN+ gets Xgame chat.....

Which setup plan you rather have GAF?

I don't care about automatic downloads as long as there's some way of automatically checking for patches on all games without having to try to start them up. I'm fine with doing that once a week and with doing firmware updates manually, and I'm totally happy with getting my own Store content myself. I just don't want to have to pay for cross-game voice chat, nor do I want others to have to, and I say this as someone who's fairly likely to get this if the discounts look good.

Kinda hoping 3.40 brings us a Netflix app.

I guess they are still torn on what to do with the feature (put it in PSN+ as the dangling carrot or make it free and hope to find something else).

If those are the features it will be disappointing due to the others not being there (cloud saves, token stuff, etc).

Guess we'll see what they will do on the 22nd and the 29th

ShinobiFist said:
360-GOLD&SILVER have Xgame chat, but MP is GOLD members only.
PS3-PSN+&PSN Vanilla have MP for free, but PSN+ gets Xgame chat.....

Which setup plan you rather have GAF?
I thought they removed any mention of voice chat in the ads. Or has it been confirmed as one of the features now.

There's a trailer up on the EU.Blog as well, and it doesn't mention cross-game voicechat in it...

Now, by the looks of it, the video wasn't edited last-minute (you can tell, because the timing of the music isn't weird). I guess they've either pulled it for a while because there are still some bugs left, or they've changed their minds about making it a paid feature and will release it free with the next FW-update as a surprise.

What do you guys think? Or, if you know more, give us a hint...

Eliciel

What I found strange about PSN+ was that no matter what Jack Tretton was mentioning I was not hyped at all like PSN minis, classics...

So what?! I am playstation fan since the PSX and I already have nearly every good game on PSX and PS2 why should I download any of these? Graphics don't matter at all for me in this situation.

So what are the real "privileges" did I miss anything? And no for me Cross-Game-Chat is not worth for paying 50 $ just for that...obviously not because this should be for free

magicaltrevor said:
There's a trailer up on the EU.Blog as well, and it doesn't mention cross-game voicechat in it...

Now, by the looks of it, the video wasn't edited last-minute (you can tell, because the timing of the music isn't weird). I guess they've either pulled it for a while because there are still some bugs left, or they've changed their minds about making it a paid feature and will release it free with the next FW-update as a surprise.

What do you guys think? Or, if you know more, give us a hint...

You know it's pretty easy to change the music on a video your own marketing agency created? Right?

DeVeAn

What's the bug deal here? Its $50 a year, and everything is just a bonus. The only thing bad is no private chat, other than that its the same or better than LIVE. Why? Because to play online its still FREEEEEEEEE if you don't subscribe.

NinjaFusion said:
You know it's pretty easy to change the music on a video your own marketing agency created? Right?

I know, I'm a video-editor/graphic designer myself...
Look, all I said was that it probably wasn't a last-minute decission to remove it from the (current) PSN Plus features, and that's why it probably hasn't been announced at the conference. Either because it has been delayed, or because it will be free to use for everyone with the next FW-update.

The guys and girls at SCEE just didn't get the memo.

Suzzopher

I still get to play online with my friends as before for free, though? I see no problem with this.

Why would I want to chat to someone whilst I play a game he isn't playing?:lol

Spaulding

TTP said:
Problem is you don't choose what to get. Sony does. Might very well be crap/old stuff.

That's my problem exactly :-(
For the launch they are offering WipeOut and some minis but I already own those games.

But what's even more disturbing is the fact that you only "own" the content as long as you subscribe to PSN+...

Om3ga

So it's 4P Cross game chat? That's cool I guess. Then shouldn't they make 1-1 free? At least paying members can party chat with non paying members. They should have made it up to 8P.

I see why Sony would want to charge for it. There is not too many appealing things that would get the masses to pay for plus.

Here's a semi-solution, though nobody at Sony would see this or use it.

First make 1 to 1 chat free. if that can't work see option 2.

Give people the option to turn off either cross game party chat or online play after their 3 month trial period is up(or when plus is going to run out). Give a notification that their subscription is about to end. Then ask if they would like to remove cross game chat or online play. The feature is then disabled for every non plus account on that system (just to prevent people from creating new accounts to gain access to online play again).

Though there are plenty of flaws with it. How do you prevent people from logging on to another console? What if they delete thier account? Stuff like that, but it would be awesome if they could please the people who want cross game chat, yet don't play online.

PSU.com

A Sony rep has informed us that cross-game voice chat "was not announced as part of PlayStation Plus," which we understand as a 'no further information or direct comment at this time' sort of thing. Perhaps we'll hear more in the near future.

Not announced as part of PlayStation Plus? Well, then it's likely to come as a free feature with the next FW-update. But the text on the EU PlayStation-sites does indicate that it was supposed to be a PS Plus-feature:

Cross-game Voice Chat: Invite your friends to chat online no matter what game you're all playing, even if they aren't members of PlayStation Plus.

I sure hope it didn't get delayed again! =( The 'Sony rep' PSU speaks of acts as if the feature never got listed.

onken

If people want to pay for discounts (guh?) then they're welcome but shit like cross game chat and background patch/firmware downloading should really be standard. I tried to play Motorstorm 2 the other day and it wanted me to sit and wait while it downloaded a 650mb patch :lol

The worst part is once Sony get a taste of the "free money" i.e. charging for stuff that should be free (we can all thank Microsoft for that) then there's no going back.

Spaulding said:
But what's even more disturbing is the fact that you only "own" the content as long as you subscribe to PSN+...

This is the whole problem with the "subscribe to discounts" model. If you don't do it this way then people take out the shortest subscription, rinse all the free stuff and discounts and then cancel. It's a really shitty idea, end of story.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Reluctant-Hero said:
What?! Why wouldn't they announce this in the press conference?!

because they want to sell you PS+ on the basis of getting a bunch of free games. Oh, that sounds ok.

when obviously any new and useful feature will also be tucked under that banner from now on.

I'd be interested to know how long they've had cross game chat ready. In theory they could have held select prime features back until they'd sorted out PS+ so they could charge for them.

Sneaky, but I can't really complain - we still get online play for free

Top Bottom