• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross game voice chat rumored for Ps3 PSN+

Barakov

Gold Member
So you have pay Sony to invite people into cross game chat? Not good especially since silver members on XBL don't have to pay for this.

Tideas

Banned
What's the point of having cross-game chat anyway? just really curious.

Anyway. PSN is still free last I check. I don't see what the bitching is all about.

It still 1ups Xbox Live because of that

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
The Omega Man said:
Sony probably saw the huge criticism about paying for this option, this feature is obviously ready to go, they just don't know how and when to release it

Then just release it. They can always remove it later no? (lol)

-PXG-

Tideas said:
What's the point of having cross-game chat anyway? just really curious.

Anyway. PSN is still free last I check. I don't see what the bitching is all about.

It still 1ups Xbox Live because of that

I think they're called friends.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
NinjaFusion said:
it's been taken down

Yep. Sony ninja at work. RIP cross game voice chat. It was nice seeing you mentioned in an official Sony web page for a while, even if by mistake. :lol

Well it sounds as though at least only one of you will have to have the voice chat.....I will probably get the PSN plus service anyways....I have XBL gold....so it's kinda inconsequential to me

spwolf

OldJadedGamer said:
No you don't. Cross game chat has been a free feature for silver members since launch almost 5 years ago.

what i dont understand, what are you cross gaming if you cant game online as silver anyway?
Offline games?

TTP said:
Yep. Sony ninja at work. RIP cross game voice chat. It was nice seeing you mentioned in an official Sony web page for a while, even if by mistake. :lol

lol... first time they ever really acknowledged it

Cruzader

Banned
I understand why its stupid to charge extra or a premium(PSN+) for X-chat but I find it ridiculous not to criticize what MS does for online play, a basic feature now a days.

Yea this aint about XboxLive or how you must pay for it on the 360 but some of these posts sound idiotic.

"OMG in-game chat should be free! We've had it for free for the last 5 years"...yea great, PS3 has had free online for those years too but no one is doing anything about it.

Anyhow doesnt PSN+ now include Qore? Aint that by itself $25? Sorta ok deal then with free games every month. Not sold on it too. I guess with it you get easier access to betas..for instance, you might not have to preorder Medal of Honor to get in, if you get PSN+, else you do?

MMaRsu

Banned
spwolf said:
what i dont understand, what are you cross gaming if you cant game online as silver anyway?
Offline games?

Ehm sure why not? You can still be online and not play online and want to talk to a friend playing a different game?

Baki

Beardz said:
uhmmm cool I guess?

---

Sony fanboys: Well at least playing online is free
Microsoft fanboys: But live is better and cheaper!
Nintendo fanboys: Hai guize

Its actually the same price as live. $49.99

I'm not liking this direction though. Makes me very bitter. But if this keeps online free, its a bullet I'll be willing to take. :(

If only consoles followed the PC model. :/

coopolon

Beardz said:
The funny thing is...

Right now playing online is free, and will remain free...

BUT

Everybody bitch because you have to pay to initiate cross game voice chat, why?!

So because Sony is screwing their customers slightly less than Microsoft, they deserve praise? Online play and cross game voice chat should both be free. See Steam.

Stillmatic

Given what we already have for free, online etc, i don't see why paying for additional features is that big of a deal. Given on another platform you do the same, although the big carrot being dangled is online play. Fortunately with PSN+, if you don't want the extra features for the cash, you can still play online and have the same features we have right now for free.

If i want the extra stuff, i'll pay for it. If not, then vanilla PSN is entirely adequate since you can play online.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
What a missed opportunity for Sony. PSN was one feature away from offering por gratis basic online gameplay feature parity with XBL Gold, which would be huge for a lot of people.

Too bad they basically threw the feature behind a paygate so that it will be seldom used by the vast majority of the PS3 userbase and ignored in a casual comparison between the systems. I know that PSN+ isn't looking like such a great deal for the people that don't play a lot of content from PSN in the first place, but taking a feature that doesn't cost Sony a dime after it is patched in (voice chat is just p2p) to try and sweeten an iffy proposition is just plain boneheaded.

Some engineers at Sony have toiled away for months to develop this feature that could potentially add so much value to those tens of millions of PS3s out there (plus any potential future PS3 owners that are disillusioned with the 360/Kinect and look to switch) and some bonehead in corporate is about to throw all that away by tying it to a new pay service which, in addition to only being a good value to a PS3 power-user, will appear to most casual users and potential customers as just another way a shady corporation is trying to make a buck in the middle of a global recession.

For the most part, I think Sony is moving in the right direction. They have largely resisted following the Microsoft pricing path of trying to nickel-and-dime the customer at every corner, which was tough when PS3 sales were anemic and they were hemorrhaging money, but they stuck with it and as a result the PS3 is in a real good value position now when compared to the 360. When the two systems are really compared, it has been obvious that there is one system that wants to charge for everything and one that resists that. That distinction would be even sharper if you could chat with your friends across games for free on PS3.

eznark said:
Joystiq is reporting that it's part of PSN+ as well.

so fucking stupid

Where did they get that info, and why the fuck has it been removed from all the non-English official PlayStation Plus sites? So confusing...

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Hmm, I wonder if it's more like private chat (1 on 1) or party chat (8 people) on Live. I also wonder if Call of Duty will be able to stop people from using it whilst playing online..

user_nat said:
Hmm, I wonder if it's more like private chat (1 on 1) or party chat (8 people) on Live. I also wonder if Call of Duty will be able to stop people from using it whilst playing online..

Joystiq reports that it is group/party-chat =)

And I do hope developers can make it so that it will be disabled in no-respawn gametypes to prevent people from cheating.

nofi

TTP said:

Bizarre. Wonder if we'll get a proper PR tomorrow on how this works, rather than relying on screengrab ninjas and guesswork. Should have been part of the presentation.

Along with other things.

-DarKaoZ- said:
It hasn't work during this years, what makes you think it will work if they do that?
Because PSN sucks compared to Xbox Live. Cross-Game chat, party system, achievements, demos for all XBLA titles, a full game download library that laughs at the PS3 and integration with Xbox.com make a world of difference. Its why I (and all my friends) buy any multiplayer game for the 360.

Sony has an opportunity right now. I just hope they don't drop the ball. Cross-Game chat is all they need to have a decent online experience. Everything else can be extra. (Although auto-updates being premium is pretty lame too)

Seventy5

Metalmurphy said:
But is it group chat? Or just 1on1?
Up to 4 people. Chat closes if all paying members leave the chat.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/15/cross-game-party-chat-coming-to-ps3-with-strings-attached/

I'm most likely gonna pay for this. I don't mind paying $50 a year if they're throwing in extra shit. Also, PSN is NOT fucking XBL! People screaming about this being free on XBL, you're still paying to play online and get demos a week early. Jesus Christ, at least Sony isn't taking shit away from free members.

NullPointer said:
Because PSN sucks compared to Xbox Live. Cross-Game chat, party system, achievements, demos for all XBLA titles, a full game download library that laughs at the PS3 and integration with Xbox.com make a world of difference. Its why I (and all my friends) buy any multiplayer game for the 360.
:lol
Keep telling yourself that, fanboy.

On topic: It's a fucking annoying move by sony. I hope that psn plus crashes and burns so that they release the feature to everyone.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
NullPointer said:

Sony has an opportunity right now. I just hope they don't drop the ball. Cross-Game chat is all they need to have a decent online experience. Everything else can be extra. (Although auto-updates being premium is pretty lame too)

Ok let me check:

Cross-Game Chat = Pay on Both PS3 and 360
Party System = 360 you pay, PS3 has it free but you need to use HOME
Achievements = 360 got it first, PS3 got it later, free on both
Demos for all DL Games = 360 check, PS3 half or more
Full games DL = 360 yes it has, but HDD size sucks, PS3 has a lot of PS1 and some PS3 games + 2.5 HDDs help.
Integrated to website = 360 nice, but you can't send messages if you haven't paid. PS3 only has Trophies looking now, still don't see the point of that in gaming (IMO).

So yeah, PSN sucked at the beginning, but its quite good now for free, PSN+ well... just adds cross-game voice chat. =/

harriet the spy said:
:lol
Keep telling yourself that, fanboy.
Hah. Fanboy with both systems who would love to actually buy a multiplayer game for PS3 for once. Sony is sooo close to seeing a lot more love.

watership

-DarKaoZ- said:
Ok let me check:

Cross-Game Chat = Pay on Both PS3 and 360
Party System = 360 you pay, PS3 has it free but you need to use HOME
Achievements = 360 got it first, PS3 got it later, free on both
Demos for all DL Games = 360 check, PS3 half or more
Full games DL = 360 yes it has, but HDD size sucks, PS3 has a lot of PS1 and some PS3 games + 2.5 HDDs help.
Integrated to website = 360 nice, but you can't send messages if you haven't paid. PS3 only has Trophies looking now, still don't see the point of that in gaming (IMO).

So yeah, PSN sucked at the beginning, but its quite good now for free, PSN+ well... just adds cross-game voice chat. =/

You used HOME in your arguement and it is therefore invalid.

Yeef

NullPointer said:
I don't get it. What does any of the bolded stuff have to do with multiplayer?

Top Bottom