• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CrossCode - 2D Action-RPG for Browsers, PC (now on IndieGoGo; Wii U stretch goal)

EDIT: They reached their goal! But they're still missing 20k for the Wii U version so please donate if you can!

TL;DR version at the end of this post.

20150225063610-title.gif

20150225071804-platforms.png

Link to the IndieGoGo crowdfunding campaign
Goal is 80.000 €
Campaign ends on March 26th.

Some people here already know about this game, because it has a demo you can play right now in your browser and there was also a thread on it.

The creators of this game are known as Radical Fish Games and together they're making this awesome game called CrossCode. It's playable in-browser and outside (if you download it, duh). If you're using Chrome you can even use an XInput compatible device (like an Xbox 360 controller) and play it with that device in your Chrome browser, which sounds sweet and is awesome too.
The regular control method for this game would be Keyboard + Mouse.

The game is also on Steam Greenlight, but voting for it now isn't possible anymore because it already got greenlit in just 7 days!

Here's the Steam Greenlight description text of the game:
A retro-inspired 2D Action RPG set in the distant future.

Meet Lea as she logs into an futuristic and strange MMO.
Follow her steps as she discovers a vast world, meets other players and overcomes all the challenges of the game.

Also: Lea can't speak. Nope, no heroic mime. She is actually mute.

Play the Demo right now: http://www.cross-code.com

The price when the game comes out will probably be 15 $ / 15 €.

Features
16-bit, SNES-style 2D graphics with detailed animations
A Soundtrack inspired by old SNES and Playstation JRPGs
A ball throwing mechanic used for combat and puzzles
Fast-paced combat system featuring close and ranged attacks, guarding, dashing and great variety of special attacks.
A complete RPG system with leveling, equipment, consumable items and skill trees
Detailed movement system with auto-jumping and precise collision
Made with a custom engine derived from impact.js

Here are some in-game GIFs:
20150224072545-ranged-combat-1.gif

20150224072559-melee-combat.gif

20150224072741-combat-dodge.gif

20150224072839-combat-guarding.gif

20150224074013-shizuka-special.gif

And here are the stretch goals:
20150225050439-stretch-goals-anim.gif

80,000 € - The Game
90,000 € - New Game+
100,000 € - Wii U version
125,000 € - Local PvP & Co-Op Area
150,000 € - Bonus Area
???,??? € - ?????

Some helpful advice:
- Please don't be upset about this campaign using Euros. The $/€ ratio is almost 1:1 right now, so you won't lose much if any cents or dollars if you pledge for this game.
- If this campaign fails to rech its goal, you will get your money back, Kickstarter style! Many people fear that they will put money into a project that won't reach its goal yet the money is gone. That's absolutely not the case. If it reaches its goal you get something for your money. If it doesn't you get your money back. Either way, you win.
- The finished game is planned to have around 20-30 hours of total gameplay. That's as much as two to three tens! So it's about the size of an average SNES-RPG, which is actually just what they had in mind with this.
- The finished game is set to cost 15$/15€ on release and will be available on Steam. I personally don't know if a DRM-free purchase is planned yet, but if anyone is interested, post it in the thread and I will ask the dev team on this.
- The Wii U port (if funded) will go into development after the PC version is released. They already have a working prototype running on it (on the Gamepad even, so Off-TV play is pretty much a given alreday) which ran a little slow two years ago but some optimization and polish will obviously help in fixing this. Don't know if they plan on integrating touch controls, but it's too early to ask that now anyway.
- PS4 and/or Vita versions are not impossible but also not very likely, Sorry Sony-Fans. First of all it most likely depends on the success of the game. It's not easy to develop for Sony hardware in this special case because CrossCode is built on an engine made with HTML5 and JavaScript. Nintendo has the "Nintendo WebFramework" which itself is built on supporting exactly those two languages. Sony however has nothing of the sort. Added to that are higher licensing fees and devkit costs compared to the Wii U's. So IF (and that's a big "if") it is going to happen it will probably happen a good time after the Wii U version. Never say never though.

Also have some helpful links:
Radical Fish Games home page and dev blog
Play the CrossCode demo in your browser right now!
CrossCode on Steam Greenlight, where it was greenlit in just seven days!
The obvious IndieGoGo crowdfunding campaign link where you can throw money at the screen to help fund this incredible game
The new and fresh subreddit for CrossCode
Is this a dang featured article on RockPaperShotgun? You bet it is!
A video showing of an old Wii U prototype for CrossCode. This video is over a year old now, so keep that in mind when watching.

I will try to keep this OP up to date if need be.

TL;DR:
- 2D top-down Action-RPG with a SNES-esque graphic style
- Gameplay-wise think Terranigma meets Secret of Mana, but with ball throwing added to the mix
- Action AND puzzles!
- Funding goal is 80,000 €
- If it doesn't reach it's goal you'll get your pledge money back, Kickstarter style!
- Slacker Backer option after campaign if the game is funded
- Wii U version at 100,000 € (coming after the PC version is released)
- A copy of the game is 15 €
- $/€-ratio is almost 1:1 by now, so you can pay via PayPal, it'll convert the money automatically for you.
- The finished game will likely have some 20-30h of playtime
- A playable demo is available on www.crosscode.com. Play it in your browser or download it
- The demo has ~2-3 hours of total gameplay
- PS4/Vita version not impossible but also not planned at the moment due to very high costs (compared to Wii U)
- It's really good

Oh, I remember playing this game.

It was quite fun.

I currently have no means of backing it, but I'll try spreading the word. Good luck to the team.

I accidentally hit the back button on my mouse (lol), but things seem like they'll get interesting with the ricocheting projectiles. I might back this, I'll think about it.

Really nice graphics though! But the faces are a bit... less so. I don't know, seems like there's something off.

Maedhros

The demo was fantastic. Very charming characters, specially the main! I love her already.

I remember playing a very early version of this game... where it was posted? I can't remember...

Have these guys done another browser game?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Looks great, and the demo was really fun, but I wonder if Indiegogo was a wise choice over Kickstarter... :\

Gameplay reminds me of Ys but with more puzzles. Fantastic combination. <3

Gala

Looks great, and the demo was really fun, but I wonder if Indiegogo was a wise choice over Kickstarter... :\

The problem is that Kickstarter is not available in Germany, even though Kickstarter said that they were coming to Germany around November 2014. Didn't happen yet. Indiegogo is the easiest way to go here for a small german indie studio right now. There would be other options, but those are more focused on the german market and Indiegog gives the best options for international backing after Kickstarter.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The problem is that Kickstarter is not available in Germany, even though Kickstarter said that they were coming to Germany around November 2014. Didn't happen yet. Indiegogo is the easiest way to go here for a small german indie studio right now. There would be other options, but those are more focused on the german market and Indiegog gives the best options for international backing after Kickstarter.
Oh, I see. That sucks. I hope that it won't be an obstacle to exposure or funding, especially since they picked the Fixed funding option.

I just finished the story and puzzle modes on the demo and started the exploration mode. Pretty meaty demo. Think I'll back this, despite the steep price, because it really hits all the right notes with me (except for the game-within-a-game part, but if everything else is fun I don't mind that so much).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
these posts annoy me, it's a stylistic choice and it's here to stay.
I agree. It's also much easier for indie devs to use such a graphical style. Making beautiful retro graphics is easier and cheaper than making beautiful 3D graphics. Indies don't have that kind of budget for the most part.

Plus it also suits the gameplay perfectly. I am not a fan of the NES-like retro pixels, but 16-bit style graphics still look great and look perfect for an Ys-like ARPG.

VariantX

these posts annoy me, it's a stylistic choice and it's here to stay.

Yes, the industry is grown up enough to support games of various visual styles already. I don't want to go back to the late 90's where we missed out some good on 2d sprite based games simply because 3d was "in" whether the consumer wanted it or not.

Newline

Ok, I'm interested. Melee combat feels like Ys and some of the gifs above has more variety.
The melee combat is really fleshed out. Theres tonnes of stat juggling possible, the dodging is great, different elemental modes to switch between attack and defence stance. After spending an hour on the demo i'm completely sold.

Shadow14

Neo Member
Tried the demo and i liked everything about it, especially the combat and the music. I'm seriously considering backing it, but i would prefer a Wii U version since i'm not much of a Pc gamer.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Plays great, but personally those character portraits need to be redone...

Until that happens not too interested in donating, but wish the team the best of luck as they do have quite the well made game on their hands. :)

VariantX

Beautiful HD 2D graphics not even on the list of possible options? ;_;

Don't mind me, I'll just be over here in the corner forlornly F5'ing Vanillaware's website.

You raise the level of detail and resolution, you increase the amount of work, cost, and the amount of time it takes to produce assets.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Beautiful HD 2D graphics not even on the list of possible options? ;_;

Don't mind me, I'll just be over here in the corner forlornly F5'ing Vanillaware's website.
Oh of course. Personally it's my favourite type of 2D. But as someone said, Vanillaware has a lot more budget than an indie dev. The indie exceptions I can think of are Dust: An Elysian Tail (done by one guy who is mainly an artist and taught himself coding) and Ghost Song, but they're really rare. IIRC Dust took a long-ass time to do, and Ghost Song is yet unreleased. Because that stuff is hard to do and animate compared to retro sprites.

Oh of course. Personally it's my favourite type of 2D. But as someone said, Vanillaware has a lot more budget than an indie dev. The indie exceptions I can think of are Dust: An Elysian Tail (done by one guy who is mainly an artist and taught himself coding) and Ghost Song, but they're really rare. IIRC Dust took a long-ass time to do, and Ghost Song is yet unreleased. Because that stuff is hard to do and animate compared to retro sprites.
We're talking about 2D indie games that aren't pixel art?

Would be interested if Vita was a goal.

This looks like it was made for vita, shame theres no love for PS platforms
If Sony would release a framework like Nintendo that centers around using HTML5 and JavaScript then the option of porting it on PS4 and Vita would possibly become instantly available as a stretch goal. Nintendo is offering the Nintendo Web Framework which does just that, which is why it is offered as a stretch goal, since this game is made with HTML5 and JavaScript.

Plays great, but personally those character portraits need to be redone...

Until that happens not too interested in donating, but wish the team the best of luck as they do have quite the well made game on their hands. :)
You know that this probably can't happen if this game is not being funded, right?
I mean I can't say if it will even happen IF it's getting funded, but the possibility for it happening with successful funding is obviously way higher that without, don't you agree? ;)

15 euros for a copy is pretty steep. I'd pay that for a copy if it was released today or when it's released in the future, but not for a crowdfunding campaign. There has to be some incentive for taking on all the risk.

Nanashrew

Banned
Don't really have any money but I will try to spread this around! I played that demo in the OP and loved it and want this game to be made!

15 euros for a copy is pretty steep. I'd pay that for a copy if it was released today or when it's released in the future, but not for a crowdfunding campaign. There has to be some incentive for taking on all the risk.

I have backed many projects on Kickstarter where a game copy was in the $20 perk or above.
15&#8364; is, in my opinion, not asking for much, especially since this game is expected to have at least around 20 hours worth of gameplay when it's done.

I remember trying this out when it was just a tech demo.

Seriously guys, give at least the browser demo a try. This game is a lot of fun, and the art direction is pretty great. I haven't completed the demo yet, but so far in really enjoying it.

I'd love to back it, but in not sure I can afford to right now.

Top Bottom