• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crowdfunded game "Ant Simulator" cancelled

Spaghetti

Jesus Christ! What the hell man, how did they just transform like that? It seems too weird. I give the guy credit though man, he's handling things right. Fuck his friends with spiked chair legs though. Hope this fucks with their future investment prospects big time.
When money is involved the worst in people come out. I've seen similar shit happen over stuff like rent agreements too.

Jarmel

Banned

They look like real trustworthy men.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why would they stop him from releasing the game though? Or working on it on his own? They've had their pound of flesh

knkng

Why would they stop him from releasing the game though? Or working on it on his own? They've had their pound of flesh

I'm sure they wouldn't mind him finishing and releasing the game. But they would be entitled to their share of the profits, which I'm sure the creator does not want. Morals and good feelings aside, they really have no logical reason to relinquish their portions of the company back to him.

SeanTSC

$4K isn't even that much and certainly not worth ruining a relationship over. Though maybe they never really thought of him as a friend.

Don't forget that he said it wasn't just the Kickstarter money, but also his personal investment money. And even if that wasn't very much, man it makes it so much more of a kick in the balls.

Yeah, dude. The Sun told her not to publish it. To this DAY the backers haven't seen SHIT from her. Just empty promises.

The ~1 year old comments from her in the bottom of that page said that she showed it off at a couple of public events and was about to ship it. Were those lies?

Famassu

This sounds like something where he could (or should be able to) counter-sue and should win, if there's any sense in the legal system. How these people can scam the money & still claim they have any rights to the game is baffling.

NEO0MJ

Don't forget that he said it wasn't just the Kickstarter money, but also his personal investment money. And even if that wasn't very much, man it makes it so much more of a kick in the balls.

That's why I said they probably were never his friends. Such a scumbag move.

Originally Posted by ETeeskiTutorials

A lot of people are telling me to seek legal advice. I have.
The problem is that these guys covered their asses in the contract. They'll say the drinks were for business meetings, and they have the paperwork/minutes to prove they had meetings (even though I know they were bullshit meetings).

They went over the contract line by line with me and I reviewed the whole thing twice. I just didn't realize they had protected themselves, screwed me (like the fact that they listed themselves as consultants, so they aren't legally obligated to work on anything, but still have the rights to spend money ect.), and I had no idea what their plan was until it was too late.

I could try to sue them, yes. The problem is that the most likely outcome is that things will end up more or less the same as they are now.
The only difference is that I would have wasted a lot of time and money on court and lawyer fees. Cutting ties with them is just faster, simpler, and safer.

Besides, I'm really damn good at making games. I will make other games. They won't. And thank you everyone tremendously for you support! It helps out so much to see everyone's comments of support.

I've been in a really dark place for over two months because of this, you all have really made a difference for me. I was afraid to go public with this information, but it's really good to be able to talk with everyone here again.

If that's true, It sound really really dark, but I'm sure there is a lot of thing about this we don't know, I don't think they spent everything without him notice, what was like? something like them telling him "The money run out, sorry" It sounds weird.

hesido

They are probably talking business and shit in that photograph. Totally legit businessman behaviour.

I also like how they didn't want their dress up go to waste by adding that extra photo below their short bio, and how they slightly altered the colours of their ties so their photo op seems less like 5 minutes apart!

Also:
Devon joined ETeeski in February, 2014...
Tyler joined ETeeski in February, 2014...

They joined the really long and established ETeeski in 2014.

Shaneus

Feel free to check out their "About Us" from September last year and compare it to how it is now. Absolute scumbags.

Hopefully this happened before he eventually makes it big so he can piss on these guys from a great height.

Edit: And the history from back then, which is now suspiciously completely absent from the new page:
The beginnings of ETeeski date back to 2003 when founder Eric Tereshinski began experimenting with game design and programming. His weekend hobby quickly developed into a life-long passion. As the years went on, Eric created games with anything he could get his hands on, from Game Maker to his TI-83 calculator, and of course, Unity. Eric developed an impressive skillset which he used to launch the Youtube channel, ETeeskiTutorials in 2011. The channel focuses on Unity tutorials for aspiring game developers, as well as highlighting the studio's current projects. Eric's growing success on Youtube inspired him to establish ETeeski LLC in 2014, along with business partners Devon Staley and Tyler Monce.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Internet gonna internet. It's never a good idea to take what one side says for the truth without even listening to the other side. This could just as easy be someone trying to take the easy way out and blame someone else. In this case it probably won't be but the lynch mob is already in full effect in any case. If the same picture as the one above had the headline "teen geniuses cure cancer" next to it everybody would be like oh these guys look so nice and a bit geeky. It's all about context which makes judging someone based on a picture totally pointless.

Don't make up your mind about someone just because random internet guy says something, people lie. Our justice systems work on proving your guilt, not proving your innocense.

This is why I stay way from Kickstarter.

That single incident amongst a vast sea of successfully-delivered projects is why you stay away from Kickstarter?

Real talk here: can't they sue him for defamation of character by being this directly honest with the audience?

He's essentially calling them deviants and untrustworthy, which in an employee situation is burning their homes, more or less.

Truth is an absolute defense to defamation.

There are so many captions I can think of for this pic, almost none of them appropriate.

Brazzers?

Someone call Jason, that's a good story to cover, and a good opportunity to expose those fraudulent people

I kind of wish it wouldn't get too much coverage. The press only seems to cover the negative aspects of Kickstarter and crowd funding, while ignoring all the awesome stuff that's coming out of it. At least the good news doesn't get sensationalized. So you're left with the impression that this kind of thing is rampant, when that isn't the case at all. I was interviewed by the Wall Street Journal a year or so ago about Kickstarter failures, and I could tell that the interviewer was trying to get me to be negative about Kickstarter. I didn't. Story didn't come out or didn't feature me.

Oneself

Sad and funny at the same time, but I feel bad for that one good guy. :/

Too bad for gamers, the game looked really nice.

duckroll

Real talk here: can't they sue him for defamation of character by being this directly honest with the audience?

He's essentially calling them deviants and untrustworthy, which in an employee situation is burning their homes, more or less.

They can sue him for defamation, sure. You can sue anyone for defamation. You'll also have to hire lawyers to do it, invest time and money into the case, and if it can be easily proven that everything he says is true, you're not going to win. He's not an employee btw, he was a partner. It was a company set up by three friends, one of whom did all the work (him), and the other two are business grads who apparently spent all the money they were supposed to be managing. Said company is also literally named after the guy who did all the work, who has since left the partnership because he had enough of the bullshit.

Drencrom

I can imagine the conversation between the "business partners" what to do with the money went like

"So, what should we do with the money... I really didn't think about what we should do with it..."

"Uhm... oh, we could totally throw some party or something with it, right? How about we just go to a club and buy a shit ton of booze and get some strippers, that's cool with you right?"

"Oh, that sounds awesome! We could like go out and eat too whenever we want!"

This is the most basic ass way to waste money ever.

I can imagine the conversation between the "business partners" what to do with the money went like

"So, what should we do with the money... I really didn't think about what we should do with it..."

"Uhm... oh, we could totally throw some party or something with it, right? How about we just go to a club and buy a shit ton of booze and get some strippers, that's cool with you right?"

"Oh, that sounds awesome! We could like go out and eat too whenever we want!"

This is the most basic ass way to waste money ever.

That's like Breaking Bad Season 1 Jesse levels of basicness.

They should have thrown it out their car windows.

Pheace

This is the kind of stuff you keep mailing to whomever their next employers are going to be so they can find out there *are* repercussions to things done in the past.

So where's the countersuit?

Dude could counter and win in a day if the story is true

He said in a post to the video, a counter suit would get him nothing except the loss of his time and money.

He values the time saved by cutting ties and moving on much more than trying to pick up a few pieces left

Internet gonna internet. It's never a good idea to take what one side says for the truth without even listening to the other side. This could just as easy be someone trying to take the easy way out and blame someone else. In this case it probably won't be but the lynch mob is already in full effect in any case. If the same picture as the one above had the headline "teen geniuses cure cancer" next to it everybody would be like oh these guys look so nice and a bit geeky. It's all about context which makes judging someone based on a picture totally pointless.

Don't make up your mind about someone just because random internet guy says something, people lie. Our justice systems work on proving your guilt, not proving your innocense.

Two things.

1. You say he could be taking the easy way out. Dude could have bounced with that cash if that was the case, but he's refunding it all. There are much, much better methods of ignoring responsibility over actually taking the time to give the money you took back to the consumers.

2. He signed a contract. Things like that, unless filled with holes, are drafted so that if court cases arrive, he'd be dead in the waters. The justice system isn't as simple as you might think it is.

I suggest you read over the OP again.

duckroll

If you look at the nature of the company and think about how much money could have been invested into it at most, it makes a lot of sense why he would choose to refund 4k, cancel the game, and walk away from this instead of suing.

Could he sue and prove that his two partners were negligent and did not live up to their end of the business agreement? Sure. But how much time and money would he spend to win, and what would he win? The Kickstarter got 4k, how much more money did they invest into the company? 10k? Let's say there's 20k in the pot that got wasted on booze and strippers. How much would you spend to try recovering that 20k, knowing that after all that time and money spent, you will still be in the same place - alone and without a company. The only difference would be that you can release Ant Simulator.

His main priority now is to distance himself from people who he went into business with before finding out that they were terrible with money and had no intention of doing legit business with his skills. So yeah, cutting and running seems like the smarter choice if he feels he can quickly set himself up and continue making games and tutorials which will make him money without all that headache.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Yeah, dude. The Sun told her not to publish it. To this DAY the backers haven't seen SHIT from her. Just empty promises.

That has nothing at all to do with the subject here, just saying. Maybe you should read the thread!

The fact that she (and her "Brother") posted on KickFailure about it and yet, still nobody got the game, is actually really funny.

Honestly her being crazy is probably just BS she used to steal money from people.

first off, here's the kickstarter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IWl29BNawg

- refund offers will be going out
- both the kickstarter money and his personal investment money were spent on liquor, restaurants, bars, and strippers (his business partners behind his back, not him)
- doesn't want his career associated with him
- business partners will sue him if he releases the game without them, and he signed an LLC so he can't get out of it
- he was the programmer, and has cancelled the game
- still going to develop games, keep youtube channel

secondly, here's the kickstarter.
wasn't entirely only for ant simulator, but it was popular enough that they (he) kept working on it.
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...tutorials-make-your-first-video-g/description

last, here's some gameplay from the alpha prior to the beta being cancelled two months ago. it looked fun! like... sim ant in first person!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBSe2r7a30g

...that about sums it up.

and holy shit, does that fucking suck.

Good on him being honest and letting everyone know.

Those partners are complete assholes.

Occam

If true, the creator made the correct choice. Refunding $4,000 of kickstarter money instead of investing time, effort and money in a potentially lenghty lawsuit that may not have the desired outcome is the sensible thing to do. Unfortunately that means his ex-partners are getting away with it.

Top Bottom