• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cryptocurrency |OT| Nothing from Money

Donos

Have any of you guys bought any Digibyte? Do you see a long term future in the coin at all? I was thinking of just tossing $100 on it to see where it goes. Some are predicting that it will double and possibly triple this upcoming month.

Weeks ago, i was thinking about tossing 100 € at it and look again in a year again. Only thing i can find why it should/could rise is that from a dev:

...[scenarios about BTC fork]
How does this affect DigiByte? Linguistic data shows once we have moved past this point of uncertainty we could be on the verge of a very large Bitcoin bull run and a wider bull run in crypto markets. This is a net positive for DGB.

Segwit activation on BTC also opens up the possibility of cross-chain transactions between Bitcoin, DigiByte and Litecoin. This allows for a whole new world of possibilities and puts DigiByte in a very "exclusive" trio for experimentation and cross blockchain innovation.

This all fits in nicely with our vision of the decentralized future which in the near term, includes the creation of decentralized exchanges which is greatly needed at this point in time.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=408268.msg20508251#msg20508251

Brandson

I've bought some ETC @ 13.650; you might be interested to take a look at it, looks like the start of a rally to me.

As I understand it, ETC exists primarily to slow ETH's success. ETC will never see any actual use. Investment in ETC will be pure speculation in an asset that has no other purpose for existing. So long as you keep that in mind, feel free to profit off of it. Holding it long term seems like a bad idea though.

3000 seems inevitable pre-fork. I'm getting out there and going all-in on ETH.

Yeah, I just reversed my positions and going long pre-fork. Maybe I'll short tomorrow after the fork.

I'm all in on altcoins (ETH, LTC, ARK, STRATIS, NEO) and going for the holding game. Just wanted to make a quick buck with this fork.

DonMigs85

I think ARK could really go up if their cross-blockchain stuff lives up to expectations. Might throw some money into DGB later too.

I'm a firm believer in ARK. Definitely has a lot of potential and I think it will be big in the future. I hear the community and devs behind it are doing great work.

As I understand it, ETC exists primarily to slow ETH's success. ETC will never see any actual use. Investment in ETC will be pure speculation in an asset that has no other purpose for existing. So long as you keep that in mind, feel free to profit off of it. Holding it long term seems like a bad idea though.
Thanks for the tip. I don't hold any position longer than 10% profit; I close my position, take partial gains, and reinvest again. Crypto is still too unstable for my heart hnggg

Glad I bought back into Eth this evening, we are shooting back up to $220. I should have bought in this morning when it was $190, but I keep being greedy thinking it will drop in the $170-$180 range and then get messed up in the end.

Glad I bought back into Eth this evening, we are shooting back up to $220. I should have bought in this morning when it was $190, but I keep being greedy thinking it will drop in the $170-$180 range and then get messed up in the end.

Yeah I waited a bit too long trying to see if BTC would hit $3000 before putting everything into ETH. Fortunately the BTC/ETH pair was more favorable than USD, still making decent gains tonight and I'm confident we'll see 250 by the end of the week.

pieface

I think ARK could really go up if their cross-blockchain stuff lives up to expectations. Might throw some money into DGB later too.

Have you seen they have succesfully tested an Ark-Eth encoded listener (smart bridge)?

You can use Ark to buy Eth tokens now or participate in Eth ICO's. Pretty huge news. ARK should be getting way more love.

It's so undervalued.

Brandson

The SEC fining crypto exchanges as a first step would be really heavy-handed, given their lack of guidance up to this point. It would be more reasonable for them to send notices to exchanges they felt were not compliant, inviting them to become compliant, and setting out the steps for doing so.

Some exchanges might also decide to stop trading in any altcoins that smell at all like securities, to attempt to avoid regulation.

Tk0n

so money is floating out of btc and back into the alts again, reversing the trend of the btc trading pairs.
i hope i can catch the end of the alt pump, sell some of my stuff, and stock up again after the inevitable dump.

Donos

Yeah, huge pump for my alts, damn and i'm at work busy with something else. Hope i still catch some of it when i get home.

Brandson

And the real fireworks haven't even started yet. BCH should start activating within the hour.

Edit: Could take longer than that to actually fork, apparently.

Yeah I waited a bit too long trying to see if BTC would hit $3000 before putting everything into ETH. Fortunately the BTC/ETH pair was more favorable than USD, still making decent gains tonight and I'm confident we'll see 250 by the end of the week.

Sometimes we think the market will go one way and more times than not, it goes the other way. This one is so darn hard to predict too it isn't even funny. I had chances the last few days to buy in the high 180's, and due to my foolishness ended up having to buy a bit higher. Some are predicting that after the hard fork, we could see $260-300 again so lets see what happens.

Sometimes we think the market will go one way and more times than not, it goes the other way. This one is so darn hard to predict too it isn't even funny. I had chances the last few days to buy in the high 180's, and due to my foolishness ended up having to buy a bit higher. Some are predicting that after the hard fork, we could see $260-300 again so lets see what happens.
Yep, a few days ago we didn't buy ETH at $184 because it 'could' drop even lower than that.
Now we're tempting to buy ETH at 212$ because we 'could' see $260-300 again soon.

I try to dissect hope from logic:
Why do you expect ETH to rise to 260-300$?

M°°nblade;245095044 said:
Yep, a few days ago we didn't buy ETH at $184 because it 'could' drop even lower than that.
Now we're tempting to buy ETH at 212$ because we 'could' see $260-300 again soon.

I try to dissect hope from logic:
Why do you expect ETH to rise to 260-300$?

LOL! You have that right.

Some of the things I've been reading with regards to what some of the analysts are predicting after the hard fork they see a lot of the money that was in BTC and BCC going to get dumped into alt coins which will raise the prices including Eth which has been heavily consolidating in that $190-$205 range for the longest time.

Another coin to watch out for it seems like is Digibyte which is rumored to go back up later this month when looking at the 50 day averages. I picked some up yesterday in hopes that it does get some gains.

The one coin that I have which I keep going back and forth on is BAT. It seems to get hit pretty hard like Stratis does when the market goes down.

x3sphere

The fork played out similar to how I expected. BCC is only worth about $250 right now and dropping. If you converted your BTC to ETH in the last few days in the low 0.07 range you would've made more than waiting for the forked coins.

I don't think anyone can really move coins to sell them yet either (unless they had BTC on an exchange that automatically credited them the BCC), so i bet it will go way below $200 once people start dumping. There's a serious lack of mining power on the fork (good for BTC, though) so it's going to take a difficulty readjustment before transactions start getting processed at a normal rate.

I think we may see a further rally in alts because so many are still waiting to move their forked coins, once they sell them people will likely move back into alts. If Bitcoin sees a sell off though this could hurt the ETH USD value maybe, but I expect the ratio to go up further at least.

Brandson

I think we may see a further rally in alts because so many are still waiting to move their forked coins, once they sell them people will likely move back into alts. If Bitcoin sees a sell off though this could hurt the ETH USD value maybe, but I expect the ratio to go up further at least.

I agree. I was expecting more violence on the BTC price, but it has been overall fairly positive, which is good for everyone. ETH above 230 on Kraken, and should breakthrough on other exchanges shortly. I hope it can hold onto these gains finally.

I agree. I was expecting more violence on the BTC price, but it has been overall fairly positive, which is good for everyone. ETH above 230 on Kraken, and should breakthrough on other exchanges shortly. I hope it can hold onto these gains finally.

I think a lot of us were expecting Armageddon today. LOL!

I think a lot of us were expecting Armageddon today. LOL!

I certainly was, I kept thinking that BTC has to go down after fork due to uncertainty of what happens to it and that would be my chance to get into BTC. Now I'm kicking myself for not getting into it back when it was around 1800-2000 USD

Donos

Well, the great BTC fork of August 2017 is probably not a great, exciting story to tell my grandchildren in 20 years...

The fork played out similar to how I expected. BCC is only worth about $250 right now and dropping. If you converted your BTC to ETH in the last few days in the low 0.07 range you would've made more than waiting for the forked coins.

I don't think anyone can really move coins to sell them yet either (unless they had BTC on an exchange that automatically credited them the BCC), so i bet it will go way below $200 once people start dumping.
Or BCH could go back to 500 bucks

Brandson

While writing this post, BCH went from $1200 to 1300+ to 1100 on Bittrex. This is immensely interesting to watch, not holding any BCH. If I held any BCH, I would look to sell now or sometime today, before BCH deposits to exchanges start happening. The volatility is frightening.

While writing this post, BCH went from $1200 to 1300+ to 1100 on Bittrex. This is immensely interesting to watch, not holding any BCH. If I held any BCH, I would look to sell now or sometime today, before BCH deposits to exchanges start happening. The volatility is frightening.

I just logged into my Bittrex, and damn, it's at $1157 now. Talk about nuts.

Donos

Blockfolio says BCH was at 39 € in the last 24 hours but can't confirm that with Coinmarketcap. Still some crazy ride.

Tk0n

quite an unexpected rise. i dont know who is buying BCH right now. holding? sure. selling? sure. but buying a few hours after the fork before its really tradeable? it stinks of heavy manipulation or maybe its because the wallets are still locked for deposits on all the exchanges. also there is quite a difference in "value" on differing exchanges.

i have a feeling that this is going to get ugly really fast.

x3sphere

Price of BCH is sketchy. It didn't start going up until Bittrex disabled deposits. I don't even know where you can sell it - other exchanges like Bitfinex and Kraken aren't accepting deposits either. Seems the only people able to get this price were those that left their coins on Bittrex during the fork.

It should fall hard once an exchange opens deposits.

Brandson

Price of BCH is sketchy. It didn't start going up until Bittrex disabled deposits. I don't even know where you can sell it - other exchanges like Bitfinex and Kraken aren't accepting deposits either. Seems the only people able to get this price were those that left their coins on Bittrex during the fork.

The supply is artificially constrained right now. On the other hand, it's worth noting that there will always be less BCH in circulation than BTC unless there is a mining reward increase that differs from BTC. This is because it only starts with as many units as there were of BTC pre-fork, but some BCH isn't being claimed by exchanges like GDAX, if you believe them. Some BTC holders may also never become aware of their BCH. So in theory if both chains thrive, BCH might eventually be worth more because there is effectively less of it out there. The current price is most definitely artificially high though.

This doesn't make any sense. Bitcoin has fallen but to a relatively small amount of what BCH has gained. Literally billions of dollars out of thin air overnight. The value isn't coming from anything. Yes I'm aware that's how a bubble works. But I've never seen anything like this.

Or am I missing something?

Top Bottom