• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cryptocurrency |OT| Nothing from Money

We should of loaded up at $4.50. I bought a decent amount, but I should of just added a ton. I've bought all the way from $4.50 to $10 over the course since I've been talking about Neo on here.

I honestly wouldn't place all your eggs in one basket especially if you are in it for the long haul. It's good to diversify on a few coins and if you have money to put in every so often while we are still at a low price might be worth going that route.

Though if it does drop over the weekend, I may take my remaining Eth and dump it on Neo.

Yeah, you're right. I'm a little nervous thinking about doing it. I'm going for the long haul so I might play it safe. If by any chance I sell and they just keep on rising...

Donos

So far, i can't complain about the fork. Portfolio keeps growing almost 50-100 € per day.

IOTA almost at 0,40 $ again. And NEO with new ATH?

Brohan

Going to buy some DGB, SC and maybe some ARK. I think that's a good way of getting into the world of cryptocurrencies.

What wallets are you guys using though? Kind of worried about that aspect as i really want to be sure that my investments are safe.

So any wallet recommendations would be appreciated.

DonMigs85

Going to buy some DGB, SC and maybe some ARK. I think that's a good way of getting into the world of cryptocurrencies.

What wallets are you guys using though? Kind of worried about that aspect as i really want to be sure that my investments are safe.

So any wallet recommendations would be appreciated.
Bittrex is reasonably safe with a strong password and 2 factor authentication.

Brohan

Bittrex is reasonably safe with a strong password and 2 factor authentication.

Ok so you just leave it on the exchange?? I guess a plus is that it's faster when buying and selling but i thought it was deemed not safe enough.

But if Bittrex is safe enough with 2f then i guess that would also be alot more convenient.

Edit: Especially because it seems SC it not really supported by alot of wallets and i would have to use multiple wallets.

DonMigs85

Ok so you just leave it on the exchange?? I guess a plus is that it's faster when buying and selling but i thought it was deemed not safe enough.

But if Bittrex is safe enough with 2f then i guess that would also be alot more convenient.

Edit: Especially because it seems SC it not really supported by alot of wallets and i would have to use multiple wallets.
If you buy Neo/Antshares though you can't earn gas unless it's in a local wallet. But I think there's a new exchange launching soon that lets you earn gas, forgot the name though

Donos

fook, wanted to sell a good chunk IOTA when it was 0,4 $ and rebuy after a drop but i fumbled with Bitfinex. Really hate their UI -_-

Brohan

If you buy Neo/Antshares though you can't earn gas unless it's in a local wallet. But I think there's a new exchange launching soon that lets you earn gas, forgot the name though

I think ARK has a similar system? Where you get benefits if you store it in their own wallet?

Won't be buying Neo until i have got more to spend.. right now i want to buy alot of coins with little cash.

Anyways, have you got your DGB on bittrex or do you have a DGB wallet?

Was looking into paper wallets aswell but that seemed a bit inconvenient and i lose stuff all the time. XD

Donos

Thing why it is encouraged everywhere to put your coins into an own wallet is that the wallets of an exchange are still under controll of that exchange. If they decide to say "fuck it" and bail with everything to make a lambo farm somewhere then you are fucked. Or the CEO with access to everything gets hacked etc. Examples are Mt.Gox or BTC-e. Or when an exchange puts their wallet "under maintenance" for a while so you have no access.

If you don't day trade and want to hold longterm, then always use an own wallet.

You had a lot of coins on BTC-e in a wallet there?

KcEvUJk.png

Whoopsie

Are you completely sure Bittrex is not laundering something and could face the same fate ? (i don't think so but just theoretically)

This is still wild west with rather low regulations and safety nets so be extra careful.

DonMigs85

I think ARK has a similar system? Where you get benefits if you store it in their own wallet?

Won't be buying Neo until i have got more to spend.. right now i want to buy alot of coins with little cash.

Anyways, have you got your DGB on bittrex or do you have a DGB wallet?

Was looking into paper wallets aswell but that seemed a bit inconvenient and i lose stuff all the time. XD
For now it's all on Bittrex, but if I start accumulating several thousand dollars worth I might look into a Trezor or something.

Brohan

Thing why it is encouraged everywhere to put your coins into an own wallet is that the wallets of an exchange are still under controll of that exchange. If they decide to say "fuck it" and bail with everything to make a lambo farm somewhere then you are fucked. Or the CEO with access to everything gets hacked etc. Examples are Mt.Gox or BTC-e. Or when an exchange puts their wallet "under maintenance" for a while so you have no access.

If you don't day trade and want to hold longterm, then always use an own wallet.

You had a lot of coins on BTC-e in a wallet there?

Whoopsie

Are you completely sure Bittrex is not laundering something and could face the same fate ? (i don't think so but just theoretically)

This is still wild west with rather low regulations and safety nets so be extra careful.

For now it's all on Bittrex, but if I start accumulating several thousand dollars worth I might look into a Trezor or something.

Thanks for all the info! it is much appreciated.

I guess that since i'm beginning small that it doesn't matter all that much yet and might as well leave it on the exchange for a bit but will probably go for cold storage once there are bigger stakes.

ty_hot

looks like I was finally accepted at tier 2 in Kraken so I can start investing. One question, how can I get the money out of kraken later? can I transfer it to an (european) bank account? do they charge much? Im waiting for ETH to go below 200usd to get some as a start.

looks like I was finally accepted at tier 2 in Kraken so I can start investing. One question, how can I get the money out of kraken later? can I transfer it to an (european) bank account? do they charge much? Im waiting for ETH to go below 200usd to get some as a start.

You just use a SEPA transfer to your account using the IBAN reference. It's pretty straightforward and it might take a couple days for the transfer to go through the first time. For me it takes less than a day now since I've already done a couple.

Donos

One thing about Trezors or offline wallets - can you keep dumping coins you buy on an exchange without much hassle?

Afaik they are really easy to use (HW). Not worth for me though till i get over 2k € worth in coins or there is a HW wallet for max 20 €. Just look them up on youtube where they show walkthroughs.

If you have a Password manager like KeepPass,1Pass, LastPass etc, it's usually just a copy and paste thing with normal pc / paper wallets. Maybe also a keyfile (myetherwallet).

Personally, i keep every coin in their own wallet on my pc. All encrypted and multiple copies of the wallets on harddrives and usb drives. Couple at my home and 2 drives at my parents place. In case my place burns down or whatever.

Would never keep stuff on an exchange for a long time and definitely not permanently. That´s just asking for trouble.

Personally, i keep every coin in their own wallet on my pc. All encrypted and multiple copies of the wallets on harddrives and usb drives. Couple at my home and 2 drives at my parents place. In case my place burns down or whatever.

Would never keep stuff on an exchange for a long time and definitely not permanently. That´s just asking for trouble.

I'd like to note that Coinbase is insured

All digital currency that Coinbase holds online is fully insured. This means that if Coinbase were to suffer a breach of its online storage, the insurance policy would pay out to cover any customer funds lost as a result.

The insurance policy covers any losses resulting from a breach of Coinbase’s physical security, cyber security, or by employee theft. The policy is provided by a syndicate of insurers through Lloyd’s of London.

Binance is the exchange that allows you to collect "GAS" for your Neo coins and they've been open for a few months now.

PolishQ

Almost the same situation. I have been skeptical of all alt-coins, that is why I had ignored all of them, which seemed like a reasonable choice given what happened to EOS and IOTA. OMG is different though, its appeal is not tied to some form of potential application in the next decade. I should have had learned dmore about it, or at least looked at the charts... oh well

edit: it actually went up another 10% since my post about it going up 500% lol. Ready for crash

Still rising!

ARK is looking really good the last 2 days. its almost back at the price where i bought in :D

Yeah, after a long time down it's finally picking itself up. I bought at 0.50$ so I'm good.

Already bought more NEO today. I'm at a point where if we get to 50$ I'm going to have a pretty nice return but even then I wouldn't sell. I believe we're gonna see ETH like pumps with this coin.

IOTA is back over .30¢, it's been more or less around here since it became available. It's not making huge gains but it's held steady value.
Funny, cause IOTA had a rally to $0.42; I doubt it'll be able to sustain in, but we'll see.

The problem is that with bitfinex enabling margin trading on these coins, the market becomes more unstable, and manipulating the market becomes even more lucrative. Since they enabled margin trading with OMG some time since yesterday, it has gone haywire too

Still rising!
Yeah, it seems it just made a support @ $2; usually, if they reject a resistance and break through or bounce from a support, they go up a lot. The same with IOTA, it had stalled @ 0.33 yesterday, broke through and now is @ $0.4

It can even rise up to $10 given how fast the market moves and that it is a promising coin. I'm not investing it right now though, I rather buy ether (not now though, but will wait for a reversal signal)

Yeah, after a long time down it's finally picking itself up. I bought at 0.50$ so I'm good.

Already bought more NEO today. I'm at a point where if we get to 50$ I'm going to have a pretty nice return but even then I wouldn't sell. I believe we're gonna see ETH like pumps with this coin.

Nice, good idea to keep loading up. I might take some more of my Eth and transfer it over to NEO. I feel way more confident with NEO over Eth, considering I have such a small amount of Eth left it could buy me way more NEO.

If we do see $50, that will be one nice return for me too. I'd take my initial investment out and let the rest ride then at that point.

I do want to keep adding more before Tuesday though because we could see another spike. Hoping maybe for tomorrow that we see a dip. :)

Nice, good idea to keep loading up. I might take some more of my Eth and transfer it over to NEO. I feel way more confident with NEO over Eth, considering I have such a small amount of Eth left it could buy me way more NEO.

If we do see $50, that will be one nice return for me too. I'd take my initial investment out and let the rest ride then at that point.

I do want to keep adding more before Tuesday though because we could see another spike. Hoping maybe for tomorrow that we see a dip. :)

Good idea on taking your initial investment out. With this pump from NEO I'm at the point where my portfolio broke even (I got into crypto in the beginning of june and went with ETH and BTC only to basically take a huge loss the following weeks lol). Now I'm a lot more patient and once I have double what I initially put in, I'll take it out too.

It won't be enough to go to lambo land but if this works, I'll have a nice little sum to invest. Maybe get a house or a piece of land.

Something to think about: most of the altcoins weren't really valuable until sometime in March this year. Then they started picking up steam and the market size blew up. However, the rise in BTC wasn't nearly as much as the alt-coins. Is it possible that we are seeing the market repeating itself? BTC has come up nicely since it hit a low last month, and exactly starting from then, some of the altcoins have been going up a lot. Maybe the market likes to invest the coins that aren't already too valuable?

Good idea on taking your initial investment out. With this pump from NEO I'm at the point where my portfolio broke even (I got into crypto in the beginning of june and went with ETH and BTC only to basically take a huge loss the following weeks lol). Now I'm a lot more patient and once I have double what I initially put in, I'll take it out too.

It won't be enough to go to lambo land but if this works, I'll have a nice little sum to invest. Maybe get a house or a piece of land.

Awesome Bobo, I am happy to hear others making a good amount that they can buy a house or even land with their winnings.

My little brother has made millions off of BTC and Eth since he started mining in 2008. I feel so stupid because back in 2013 I could have been a millionaire, my brother and I were selling mining equipment on ebay and the original plan was to take the profits from that and place them in BTC when BTC was $110. To think the amount of money we made from selling the equipment is nuts, but more so what we would have made from investing that. Granted he had been mining his own stash that he has made mistakes in selling off earlier or the wrong times, but he wised up and has done well for himself.

I am at a similar point like you where I am above even now because I made some mistakes losing a little bit with Stratis and SIA back in June. I sold off in a panic which was a huge mistake. It taught me a lesson. I had bought Eth in the $150 range in May so that helped offset some losses and make profit back later on. For me, holding a small amount of Eth vs. holding quite a good amount of NEO and lets say 1,000's of the penny coins can possibly have greater gains down the road. I still believe in Eth as a project, but I do think that NEO could overtake it or compete with it in the future.

Tk0n

Something to think about: most of the altcoins weren't really valuable until sometime in March this year. Then they started picking up steam and the market size blew up. However, the rise in BTC wasn't nearly as much as the alt-coins. Is it possible that we are seeing the market repeating itself? BTC has come up nicely since it hit a low last month, and exactly starting from then, some of the altcoins have been going up a lot. Maybe the market likes to invest the coins that aren't already too valuable?

or its just the money flowing out of BCC ;)

Awesome Bobo, I am happy to hear others making a good amount that they can buy a house or even land with their winnings.

My little brother has made millions off of BTC and Eth since he started mining in 2008. I feel so stupid because back in 2013 I could have been a millionaire, my brother and I were selling mining equipment on ebay and the original plan was to take the profits from that and place them in BTC when BTC was $110. To think the amount of money we made from selling the equipment is nuts, but more so what we would have made from investing that. Granted he had been mining his own stash that he has made mistakes in selling off earlier or the wrong times, but he wised up and has done well for himself.

I am at a similar point like you where I am above even now because I made some mistakes losing a little bit with Stratis and SIA back in June. I sold off in a panic which was a huge mistake. It taught me a lesson. I had bought Eth in the $150 range in May so that helped offset some losses and make profit back later on. For me, holding a small amount of Eth vs. holding quite a good amount of NEO and lets say 1,000's of the penny coins can possibly have greater gains down the road. I still believe in Eth as a project, but I do think that NEO could overtake it or compete with it in the future.

Damn! Always fascinating hearing about people who started with crypto in its infancy. I can only imagine the excitement when your brother realized this would make him bank. Very nice story and happy it worked for him and you to a lesser degree.

I have more or less the same idea as you. First I wanted to only invest in tried coins (BTC, LTC, ETH) but I got in at the ATH and panicked when it started to crash. That basically showed me that if I wanted the kind of gains I had in mind, I had already missed the train. So I started researching other alts and now I'm basically riding the alt train. I'm into ARK, STRAT, NEO, DGB, SIGT and XBY (these last 2 are just wild cards).

Among these NEO is my true hope. Then ARK and DGB. If only one of these coins really takes off I'll be a lucky guy.

Good luck in your investments!

or its just the money flowing out of BCC ;)
The choice of the coins that the cash flows into is interesting, regardless of where it comes from. It isn't going to Ether, and BTC has been up only marginally. Essentially, I wonder if a select few of the altcoins will see substantial rises if the market recovers, while the major players will only rise partially.

Damn! Always fascinating hearing about people who started with crypto in its infancy. I can only imagine the excitement when your brother realized this would make him bank. Very nice story and happy it worked for him and you to a lesser degree.

I have more or less the same idea as you. First I wanted to only invest in tried coins (BTC, LTC, ETH) but I got in at the ATH and panicked when it started to crash. That basically showed me that if I wanted the kind of gains I had in mind, I had already missed the train. So I started researching other alts and now I'm basically riding the alt train. I'm into ARK, STRAT, NEO, DGB, SIGT and XBY (these last 2 are just wild cards).

Among these NEO is my true hope. Then ARK and DGB. If only one of these coins really takes off I'll be a lucky guy.

Good luck in your investments!

I feel the same, always fascinating reading other peoples stories on how they got into a tech at the right time to really strike it rich or do well for themselves. I just wish I would have made the right moves years ago so I'd be sitting pretty today, but hoping to correct those mistakes with some investing now.

It looks like you have a nice diverse portfolio. I don't know much about ARK and SIGT, but the rest that you have could be good long term. I want to add a few more alts, but a part of me right now feels like it is best to keep adding to my NEO. Best of luck with your investments too, hopefully one or two can pan out for the best.

I think that NEO has found its new support level now at the $10.50-$10.80 range, which I feel that it will only go a bit higher come with next weeks full rebrand. I might go ahead and add some more this weekend, would love for it to drop a little more.

Red

My brother had 23 btc way back when they were very cheap, and spent the lot on ecstasy over the deep web.

My brother had 23 btc way back when they were very cheap, and spent the lot on ecstasy over the deep web.

This is the realest use one could give to cryptos before. Deep web stuff like drugs and guns and worse even. I still don't understand how the hell they shipped those things by mail without ever getting caught.

Jzero

Imagine all the drugs he could have bought now
This is the realest use one could give to cryptos before. Deep web stuff like drugs and guns and worse even. I still don't understand how the hell they shipped those things by mail without ever getting caught.

They stuff them inside other items that drug sniffing dogs can't smell through

Red

His postman was a drug dealer. On holidays, he used to hand out to his clients postcards with LSD taped on one side. How the drugs arrived to him locally I couldn't tell you. He was always confident he would not be caught because he could plausibly deny he had ordered the drugs. "I don't know why they were sent or who sent them," was his excuse.

Arkkoran

Unconfirmed Member
What wallet would people here recommend for ANS/NEO? Moved some money from ETH to NEO the other day and would like to transfer it to a local wallet

Brohan

What wallet would people here recommend for ANS/NEO? Moved some money from ETH to NEO the other day and would like to transfer it to a local wallet

I think their own offcial wallet because then you build up ''gas''.

Edit: acrually i think any local wallet would work for building up gas so dismiss what i said.

What is the OMG token actually used for in their system?

It feels a lot like the initial ANS pump from a few weeks back. Maybe profitable but it's not for me.
Proof-of-stake for their digital wallets network; token holders will be rewarded. As far as I understand, they already have some products in the southeast Asian markets and are using blockchain technology to augment it. I might be wrong though

Long term. Though I always cash out after 10% increase in price and take partial profits.

Edit: oh, BTC @ $3100. Expected, that bitcash or whatever was holding it back

Edit 2: BTC broke out? lol Scary shit, wonder how high it will go

Eth seems to be at this weird consolidation stage, its either going up or down.

Damn, it is heading towards $3200. I think this will cause a whole lot of new money coming in once people hear that BTC has cracked over $3K.

Eth seems to be at this weird consolidation stage, its either going up or down.

Damn, it is heading towards $3200. I think this will cause a whole lot of new money coming in once people hear that BTC has cracked over $3K.
I was holding some LKK since a while ago; I just noticed it has gone up 30% t since this afternoon -_- what the hell is going on lol

DonMigs85

I think DGB should blow up a bit in the next 2-3 weeks. With so many coins though I wonder if/when it'll ever hit at least $10.

Top Bottom