• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cryptocurrency |OT| Nothing from Money

Yeah, the crypto world is crazy like that. :( But I'd say don't give into FOMO and wait to see if there are profit takers.

I still have a sizable stash, not enough to buy a node however, I'm debating whether I want to drop enough to get myself one. I'll see if it drops a bit from here.

Definitely, I'm quite satisfied with my portfolio at the moment so I'm holding...for now. If we reach some breakthrough I might jump back in but I'll just wait for now.

If you have that much, you probably will get some nice returns down the line. Good for you!

Thanks alot, setting it up right now.

Edit: The ARK wallet is fucking me over. I'm trying to set up a second passphrase but that requires you to also insert your first passphrase and now it says my original passphrase doesnt fit my account.... which is bullshit because i just wrote it down and had to enter 3 of the words before starting the client... afraid to log out of the client now in fear of losing acces to my ark.

Edit 2: jesus christ i'm hating my life right now. I simply don't understand what's going wrong. My Ark is just sitting there in my account now with no way to touch it.

Edit 3: yup, officially lost my cash... somehow after starting up the client and activating it by writing my first passphrase it put down another client which was not tied to my original passphrase because when i imported my original passphrase i got another adres.... so yeah i sent my ark to an adres of which i don't have a passphrase. Now i can only open my ark client and look at an adress with ARK in it but will forever be unable to touch it.

Edit: made a post on reddit explaining what happened to me with some tips how to avoid it to others wanting to start using the ARK client.

*shudders*
Damn dude. Sorry to hear your story. Must be pretty damn horrific knowing you just lost it all forever at the click of a mouse.

However, take the bad and learn from it. Don't abandon crypto because there's good money to be made. Hope you didn't lose money you needed for surviving. If you're hitting a rough patch I'll be glad to send you some $$$ so drop me a PM. All the best!

Danielsan

Kicking myself for not picking up ADX yesterday. Of course it doubled even after the initial spike... First week learnings are harsh.

ZOONAMI

So is Neo realistically going to usurp the ethereum block chain as a better block chain? Why did ADX move off of ethereum?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Kicking myself for not picking up ADX yesterday. Of course it doubled even after the initial spike... First week learnings are harsh.

We are all on the same rollercoaster :p

bought some more Ark this morning and now we wait for news that will pump it up

Brohan

*shudders*
Damn dude. Sorry to hear your story. Must be pretty damn horrific knowing you just lost it all forever at the click of a mouse.

However, take the bad and learn from it. Don't abandon crypto because there's good money to be made. Hope you didn't lose money you needed for surviving. If you're hitting a rough patch I'll be glad to send you some $$$ so drop me a PM. All the best!

Yeah i have definitely learned from this experience. It really is horrifying when you think about just how much money one could lose this way.

I have sent the original passphrase to a mod on reddit but i doubt he will get anywhere with it and if he doesn't i will make the passphrase public and hope someone is able to get those coins as that would make me a thousand times happier than letting those coins sit in some wallet for all of eternity.

Edit: that awesome mod probably found the problem, will test when at home. If it works it comes down to me and my dutch brain being stupid as there is a word in dutch and english that is 99.9% the same but the english version has an extra letter at the end.

So it is probably a good ending afterall.

gaming_noob

What are the best ones for long term? I want sit on them for 1-2 years. No plan to be a day trader.
I have neo and omg and some ark.

Donos

csquared: What do you expect? Steady climb all the time? Look at the past development of btc or etc. Ups and downs all the time. If the project is solid and doesn't just feed on hype and empty promises, the good coins are going to gain. Probably not every one like neo in the past month or eth in the last three month but enough for some good € if you went in early.

Red

I'm still kicking myself for not buyin more neo. I bought 3 ANS with change at around $5, waited for a dip to $3 to buy more, got the dip I wanted and neglected then forgot to ever buy it.

csquared: What do you expect? Steady climb all the time? Look at the past development of btc or etc. Ups and downs all the time. If the project is solid and doesn't just feed on hype and empty promises, the good coins are going to gain. Probably not every one like neo in the past month or eth in the last three month but enough for some good € if you went in early.

Yea, my plan is to hold it long term anyway. Good points

Donos

Would like to add some NEO now but don't want to inject more fiat and also don't want to change up any other coins of my portfolio. *firstworldproblems*

Brohan

I would like to buy more ARK since it has dipped alot and IOTA because it's simply doing great.

It's been on a steady rise since the beginning of this month and so far it doesn't look like it is going to stop anytime soon.

Yeah i have definitely learned from this experience. It really is horrifying when you think about just how much money one could lose this way.

I have sent the original passphrase to a mod on reddit but i doubt he will get anywhere with it and if he doesn't i will make the passphrase public and hope someone is able to get those coins as that would make me a thousand times happier than letting those coins sit in some wallet for all of eternity.

Edit: that awesome mod probably found the problem, will test when at home. If it works it comes down to me and my dutch brain being stupid as there is a word in dutch and english that is 99.9% the same but the english version has an extra letter at the end.

So it is probably a good ending afterall.

Hope you can get access to your wallet. Keep us posted :)

Brohan

Hope you can get access to your wallet. Keep us posted :)

I just came home and tested it and i have gotten the access to my wallet back :D.

This amazing mod really helped me out.

Turns out that when you import with an incorrect passphrase it will just give a new adres anyways and that is just how the system works. What this did for me though was convince myself that my passphrase was correct and that the client must have given me a mismatched account.

What happened was that i wrote down the entire passphrase but a single word in there is 99.9% the same in Dutch as it is in English but the English variant has an extra letter and my Dutch ass brain must not have processed this.

The word was ''success'' in case you were wondering. It's written as ''succes'' in Dutch.

I really appreciated that alot of you were feeling for me and were giving me tips on how to prevent things like this from happening again.

Gaf is awesome.

For the guys with PAY tokens, what do you use to store them? I think I read somewhere that MyEtherWallet supports PAY... can I transfer the PAY tokens to the same address I store my Ethers or do I need to create a new address? Or do you guys use a different wallet?

Brandson

This may be the reason Bitfinex is exiting the US market:

https://hackernoon.com/the-curious-tale-of-tethers-6b0031eead87

https://medium.com/@bitfinexed/are-fraudulent-tethers-being-used-for-margin-lending-on-bitfinex-5de9dd80f330

I don't fully understand how this works, probably because I am quite inexperienced when it comes to margin trading, but I'll try to summarize. These articles allege that Bitfinex, which controls Tether, created at least $80 million worth of Tether out of thin air, based on nothing at all, and then immediately used that to fund margin long trades with themselves, primarily on Bitcoin, thereby contributing to, if not outright causing the current price explosion in Bitcoin since July.

My understanding is that all of this would be illegal in the US in a regulated market. If the information in the articles is correct, when this Tether house of cards comes crashing down, it could spark quite a correction in all crypto assets. This is something that everyone should keep an eye on.

I just came home and tested it and i have gotten the access to my wallet back :D.

Turns out that when you import with an incorrect passphrase it will just give a new adres anyways and that is just how the system works. What this did for me though was convince myself that my passphrase was correct and that the client must have given me a mismatched account.

What happened was that i wrote down the entire passphrase but a single word in there is 99.9% the same in Dutch as it is in English but the English variant has an extra letter and my Dutch ass brain must not have processed this.

The word was ''success'' in case you were wondering. It's written as ''succes'' in Dutch.

I really appreciated that alot of you were feeling for me and were giving me tips on how to prevent things like this from happening again.

Gaf is awesome.

Congrats! That's a load of your mind to say the least. It's always reassuring that there're still people looking out for others. I also had a very funny (because it ended well) incident with ARK.

When I registered with a delegate, instead of sending just 1 ARK for my voting, I sent ALL my ARK (around 1000) to the mining pool. When I saw what I did I was pretty much banging my head against the wall.
Well, I went to reddit too and asked on the mining pool page what I could do. Turns out the admin of the pool sent them back to me within a few hours. So lucky! That pretty much solidified my trust around ARK and its community.

Danielsan

Gaf is awesome.
Great to hear man. Can't imagine the stress.
Also the passphrase thing sounds like something that would totally happen to me.

Sulik2

https://medium.com/@bitfinexed/are-fraudulent-tethers-being-used-for-margin-lending-on-bitfinex-5de9dd80f330

I don't fully understand how this works, probably because I am quite inexperienced when it comes to margin trading, but I'll try to summarize. These articles allege that Bitfinex, which controls Tether, created at least $80 million worth of Tether out of thin air, based on nothing at all, and then immediately used that to fund margin long trades with themselves, primarily on Bitcoin, thereby contributing to, if not outright causing the current price explosion in Bitcoin since July.

My understanding is that all of this would be illegal in the US in a regulated market. If the information in the articles is correct, when this Tether house of cards comes crashing down, it could spark quite a correction in all crypto assets. This is something that everyone should keep an eye on.

Wow, this would be quite a big deal.

Brohan

Congrats! That's a load of your mind to say the least. It's always reassuring that there're still people looking out for others. I also had a very funny (because it ended well) incident with ARK.

When I registered with a delegate, instead of sending just 1 ARK for my voting, I sent ALL my ARK (around 1000) to the mining pool. When I saw what I did I was pretty much banging my head against the wall.
Well, I went to reddit too and asked on the mining pool page what I could do. Turns out the admin of the pool sent them back to me within a few hours. So lucky! That pretty much solidified my trust around ARK and its community.

Yeah the community seems really great. The mod that helped me also happened to be a delegate so i cast my vote on him as a sign of appreciation.

Great to hear man. Can't imagine the stress.
Also the passphrase thing sounds like something that would totally happen to me.

Haha yeah i really do feel relieved now and feel a bit stupid but at the same time can't believe it happened. I must have triple checked the entire passphrase and still that went past me.

Gaf is awesome.

Awesome. Makes me feel good about getting into the Ark wallet when I finish up this road trip.

Donos

XNysHy9.gif

You mean there is a chance to stock up on NEO for 1 $ per coin soon? Yeah !

Damn, if there is truth to it, we are in for a wild ride.

Also congrats Brohan. If i'm reading it right, you aren't using a Passwordmanager (keepass,lastpass,1pass etc)? Would get lost pretty fast without one in the crypto world.

Danielsan

Guess I should hold off dumping more funds into crypto for now. My 300 dollars worth of play money will have to make do.

Like, how big of a correction we talking? Will this hit only a specific set of coins, or is everyone gonna get hit if this is true?

Brohan

Come on DGB, it's your time to shine

You really think DGB is going to take off?

XNysHy9.gif

You mean there is a chance to stock up on NEO for 1 $ per coin soon? Yeah !

Damn, if there is truth to it, we are in for a wild ride.

Also congrats Brohan. If i'm reading it right, you aren't using a Passwordmanager (keepass,lastpass,1pass etc)? Would get lost pretty fast without one in the crypto world.

Thanks! And you are correct but maybe i should.

Definitely, I'm quite satisfied with my portfolio at the moment so I'm holding...for now. If we reach some breakthrough I might jump back in but I'll just wait for now.

If you have that much, you probably will get some nice returns down the line. Good for you!

Thanks man. By the time they have a break through its gonna be pretty expensive to jump back, but I guess that comes with the territory. I thought about dumping another BTC into it after it fell below 250 sat but decided against it. A minor regret but it happens.

Brandson

Like, how big of a correction we talking? Will this hit only a specific set of coins, or is everyone gonna get hit if this is true?

If all of this is true, and US authorities fine or seize Tether and Bitfinex, then it could be something like a 30% correction. I imagine all crypto would be affected, as the Tether-supported wash trading was probably not limited to just Bitcoin. Too early to say. Just be ready to move if something bad happens to Bitfinex, or if it mysteriously goes offline.

Brandson

For those interested in NEO, this article attempts to explore the current state of its technology and is worth a read: http://www.trustnodes.com/2017/08/17/neo-chinas-fake-matrix

Their conclusion is that NEO is not a public blockchain in its current implementation, but rather a private blockchain wholly controlled by the NEO team, and that NEO's current blockchain security model makes it impossible to transition it to a public blockchain.

This raises some more red flags for me, but whether you care about this or not is up to you.

Top Bottom