• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crystal Dynamics (Marvel's The Avengers) sounds online, is 3rd person cover based

I think playing as a weaker Avenger or Shield agent, while the bigger heroes are fucking up everything around you, could be cool... but not as the first big budget Avengers Title.

In other words, PLEASE GOD NO

WinFonda

that could just be for characters like Hawkeye and Black Widow, and whoever else might be applicable.

most of the avengers would probably need cover to be an option too, save maybe Hulk and Thor, who possibly won't be playable in this

AHA-Lambda

Well, the teaser did seem to imply something about reuniting the Avengers.

Maybe you play as an Agent of SHIELD.

You are a regular person who has a machine gun and a sub-machinegun, and you cover-shoot at various Hydra soldiers until you free an Avenger, who thanks you and flies off into the distance.

Bosses consist of people like Ultron who float around and have 5000 HP, so you shoot at them and then move to a new piece of cover when they throw a grenade at you once every 15 seconds.

It can be like that Batman Arkham Origins multiplayer mode where you played as one of Joker's clown makeup prison thugs.

giphy.gif

Ascenion

Marvel stay making bad gaming decisions. A fucking cover based Avengers title and an exclusive Spider-Man title unavailable to about half the US market. What the fuck....

Nephrahim

You are a regular person who has a machine gun and a sub-machinegun, and you cover-shoot at various Hydra soldiers until you free an Avenger, who thanks you and flies off into the distance.

Bosses consist of people like Ultron who float around and have 5000 HP, so you shoot at them and then move to a new piece of cover when they throw a grenade at you once every 15 seconds.

It can be like that Batman Arkham Origins multiplayer mode where you played as one of Joker's clown makeup prison thugs.
I actually thought that Origins Multiplayer was a decent idea, but clearly nobody else did and the designers didn't balance it very well so I feel like it just died on the vine.

ShdwDrake

Banned
I would totally be down for an Agents of SHIELD game. Give me that playable Quake, Ghost Rider and Yo-Yo. And Mac with his shotgun axe. Oh and Coulson with his shield. Make it play like the inFamous games only with multiple protagonists like GTA 5. Fuck it, while we are at inFamous comparisons might as well put Lincoln in the game too.

Agents of shield with inhuman powers being possibly would be dope IMO.

Fisty

Can't just make a 4-player online co-op open-world? Seems like 4 Avengers with their own skill trees and movesets screwing around a huge city would be too much fun

Harmen

Not my cup of tea and disappointed if it does turn out to be an online focused, service heavy title. Also, I am not sure if Crystal Dynamics is the best developer for that kind of title.

duckroll

Captain America and Hulk are the cover, Iron Man is the shooter, Thor is the adventure, Black Widow is the action, and Hawkeye is the turd person.

I think this would obviously be a limitation in design, but don't you think they could resolve, or at least skirt around this issue somehow? Obviously it like couldn't be class-based like Overwatch, as adapting Marvel Heroes to the Tank/DPS/Healer trifecta just wouldn't work. But as a 3rd-person hero Arena shooter?
I think the shooter part would be dropped. I think a game like Anarchy Reigns/Max Anarchy would probably the best template for an online arena brawler for heroes with varying abilities.

Olengie

The Avengers of War?

I can imagine them just having the Avengers as unplayable characters and you play as an Agent of SHIELD instead.

Captain America has a fucking shield. He doesn't take cover. Fuck outta here.

Edit: if I don't get to play as Captain America then fuck this game.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

sounds about right

🤢

duckroll

Btw, I don't really think this is a great conclusion based on the job openings. The first and third quotes are from positions that could well be part of the general studio team. Only the second quote is from a position which is specifically on the Avengers team. It would be silly to assume that Crystal Dynamics is not also planning other projects other than Avengers, an IP that S-E doesn't even own.

It goes without saying that Avengers or any AAA game these days will have some sort of multiplayer mode, but there's no reason based on this to assume it is specifically an online game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Btw, I don't really think this is a great conclusion based on the job openings. The first and third quotes are from positions that could well be part of the general studio team. Only the second quote is from a position which is specifically on the Avengers team. It would be silly to assume that Crystal Dynamics is not also planning other projects other than Avengers, an IP that S-E doesn't even own.

It goes without saying that Avengers or any AAA game these days will have some sort of multiplayer mode, but there's no reason based on this to assume it is specifically an online game.
My thoughts are more from a combination of factors:

1.) They farmed out the next Tomb Raider to Eidos Montreal to free up the studio to primarily work on this, though they do have some staff working on the next Tomb Raider after that.

2.) Crystal Dynamics is actually somewhat staff starved, which is why Eidos Montreal co-develops all their games. Similarly this is why they only make their games for one platform internally and farm out all the other versions when most studios usually at least make XB1/PS4 internally. Square Enix really doesn't like hiring expensive Bay Area staff. As such, in not sure how meaningfully they can even field staff for two projects at once.

3.) I feel these job postings are more online centric than Crystal has traditionally done even for the online modes in games they have. When we combine that with Square Enix saying that service games are the future of both the industry HD Games division (which excludes their MMOs and mobile games), I'm not actually sure who else they would likely be referring to, so seeing listings for working on things like online campaigns at a studio that can't seem to even fully develop one game at a time makes me suspicious.

It's not impossible said positions are being hired in mind with a new Tomb Raider reboot though, yes. It's also not impossible for the game just has a service component similar to how Mass Effect has a campaign and then a multiplayer mode that gets weekly updates.

Weren't there some reports about how they were going to devote the entirety of Crystal Dynamics for this Marvel project?

Some Nobody

Wow this thread passed me by the first time around. I was never sure CD had the capacity to design an Avengers game from jump. Tomb Raider's dope but a shooter is so far from making dope action games.

Top Bottom