• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek/ex-Vigil show HUNT: Horrors of the Gilded Age (F2P, TPS, console/PC, 4 co-op)

DieH@rd

Banned
Looks.... ok-ish, nothing excites me about this yet. And I'm still sad we dont know who will make next Darksdiers game.

With this, Evolve, Destiny, and probably Left 4 Dead 3, I'm gonna need to find three co-op partners.

Also Homefront: The Revolution.

velociraptor

f2p dosnt have to be bad if it means well get free new monster types and maps every now and then mixed with either paying for doodads or selling new playable heroes that play differently then the rest im ok with that

I have yet to see a compelling F2P game (besides DOTA2 and Team Fortress 2).

As far as coop F2P games go, I find they recycle lots of content and are a massive grind e.g. Warframe.

Guess I'll have to wait and see how this game pans out.

Probably the first time it has really struck me but what's with the prevelance of 3 male 1 female team splits? Both this game and Evolve seem to do it, and the L4D games as well. Although never fully playable it was the same with the 4 horsemen in the Darksiders universe. Borderlands as well. And while only single player The Order's team of 4 knights also has the 3:1 split.

Crytek are going all these days on multiple fronts. Hope it pays off for them.

A few bad bombs in their lineup, and they are screwed IMO

Orayn

"Games-as-a-Service"
Just a rewrite of F2P?

If we want to get technical, I'd say F2P is just a subset of games as a service. They obviously mean F2P here, but a fair argument could be made that MMOs and episodic games fall into that category as well.

I think it's smart that they're trying to diversify by not relying 100% on AAA retail.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Probably the first time it has really struck me but what's with the prevelance of 3 male 1 female team splits? Both this game and Evolve seem to do it, and the L4D games as well. Although never fully playable it was the same with the 4 horsemen in the Darksiders universe. Borderlands as well. And while only single player The Order's team of 4 knights also has the 3:1 split.

Far Cry 3 Co-op had the same split as well if I remember correctly.

Fibble - Flick & Roll
Warface
Ryse: Son of Rome
The Collectibles
Arena of Fate
Homefront: The Revolution
Hunt: Horrors of the Gilded Age

Ugh, what is going on with the naming team at Crytek? Far Cry was cool, and I quite liked Crysis for a simple, catchy name, but even since then their names have gone utterly to shit. Not that it really matters, but I think games with catchy names are more appealing.

graboids

another co-op focused MP game? Looks cool, but I probably won't ever play any of these, Hunt, Evolve, etc. I don't remember the last time I was online playing with 3 friends... maybe these games will be good with randoms but I am not holding my breath.

Seems like its hard enough to keep MP communities going on games where you can play alone, but co-op MP games seem like the communities will die off really fast...

hope I am wrong though, these style games seem great if you have the right situation for them.

If you're doing L4D style games, I think it's important to remember that the core of the game is Versus. This doesn't seem to have it, which is a shame as that is one of the main reasons why L4D works so well.

I don't have much interest in grinding out the same few missions against AI. After you learn patterns it's not particularly interesting nor anywhere near as satisfying as besting a rival team of humans. Even better with competitive yet asymmetrical gameplay.

It won't be L4D style, but Warframe style.

3bdelilah

Banned
Please, send your pitch to Nordic, I want another Darksiders :(

Darksiders IV (if DS3 is a Strife and Fury co-op) or V to be a 4 player co-op. The hope is still alive. Just make it work with Nordic, the devs at Crytek Austin would love to work on it.

We don't know enough about the company but from this armchair, it looks like a lot of eggs and not a lot of baskets.

THEORY: This is drawing heavily on the HUNTER: The Reckoning Xbox games + tabletop RPG.

sn00zer

Please, send your pitch to Nordic, I want another Darksiders :(

Darksiders IV (if DS3 is a Strife and Fury co-op) or V to be a 4 player co-op. The hope is still alive. Just make it work with Nordic, the devs at Crytek Austin would love to work on it.

They also might want to move on as well

3bdelilah

Banned
They also might want to move on as well
I'm pretty sure I've read an article a few months back that they would "love to make another Darksiders, but Nordic has to talk to Crytek", or something along those lines. Makes sense as well to me, it's not like it's a saturated series or something. They've put lots of work and love in them, only normal that they want to continue working on it. With Crytek's blessing.

The levels are procedurally generated crafted tiles of certain themes too, from places like abandoned mines, towns, bayous, etc. They're randomly combined based on certain criteria. The premise is that whatever enemies you fight can vary from zombies, skeletons, human cultists, etc depending on each location, and they become more inhuman the farther you venture out from civilization.

The controls are more slow and methodical, but not tank'ish like RE or anything.

The levels are procedurally generated crafted tiles of certain themes too, from places like abandoned mines, towns, bayous, etc. They're randomly combined based on certain criteria. The premise is that whatever enemies you fight can vary from zombies, skeletons, human cultists, etc depending on each location, and they become more inhuman the farther you venture out from civilization.

The controls are more slow and methodical, but not tank'ish like RE or anything.

This sounds... pretty alright.

As I already said in thread earlier shinobi (albeit half way jokingly). Welcome back!

Yeah I'm hoping for a L4D or Hunter: The Reckoning type vibe at least. I'm not the biggest fan of Borderlands combat.

I'm surprised they gave this a somewhat normal name instead of something like "GothFace" or something ridiculous like that.

Slow and methodical controls? That could be really cool.

Reminds me of:
the-grinder-20100204101042588-3123458.jpg

Kaan

Banned
I could have sworn Crytek was making a PC Exclusive title that would be announced this year, but all these announcements are cross platform.

No big deal - I guess what I heard was just rumor.

Yaoibot

Do the characters use magic, or just guns? Will be skipping if its just another spin on the shooty-bang-bang.

Raide

Do the characters use magic, or just guns? Will be skipping if its just another spin on the shooty-bang-bang.

The trailer suggest some Black Magic/Voodoo is in the game but I am not sure if that means players get access to it. Would be cool to mix fire-arms etc with occult weirdness.

Orayn

Since nobody has brought this up yet: I wonder if this is a reworking of "Crawler," the non-Darksiders, non-Warhammer game Vigil had in their pipeline before THQ collapsed.

Top Bottom