• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek/ex-Vigil show HUNT: Horrors of the Gilded Age (F2P, TPS, console/PC, 4 co-op)

Gildarts

Banned
Reminds me a lot of this:

9IUoG9H.jpg

Which is a good thing.

Isnt it basically this?

Pretty much 1:1 setting. The name too.

Ashtar

I love me some dark siders and I love me some hunter the reckoning. I watched the reveal trailer and I was thinking to myself please be third person.
Can't wait for more information.

Elixist

I love me some dark siders and I love me some hunter the reckoning. I watched the reveal trailer and I was thinking to myself please be third person.
Can't wait for more information.

the small questionaire i got in my email asked if i had played a third person shooter before, so signs point to likely :)

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
They had a crocodile man at the end there, which makes me happy.
Edit: or I guess alligator man, looks like a southern/swampy setting w/voodoo stuff.

judging by the amount of enemies shown in the trailer, i'm hoping "third person shooter" is more like Earth Defense Force and less like Gears of War.

Raide

That's what I immediately thought of when I saw the picture. That game was awesome.

Yay! More fans!

Looking forward to some gameplay footage. Would prefer isometric but if the third person feel is good, then I am sure I will love it. Hopefully it has a meaty shotgun in it. =D

tragic

Developer
If I remember correctly, there is supposed to be some sort of (additional) official information today and once that happens, I will be able to talk more about it. Can't wait!

tragic

Developer
Unrelated, but how do I change the text next to my avatar? =O I looked in the options but I couldn't find it. DOH! I just want it to say Crytek Austin =).

Gbraga

Unrelated, but how do I change the text next to my avatar? =O I looked in the options but I couldn't find it. DOH! I just want it to say Crytek Austin =).

yay is fine, leave the yay alone. You should fix your avatar and make it transparent instead. Dark Gaf will thank you.

tragic

Developer
I think I was a day off regarding info (my bad!). Seems like there will be all new stuff tomorrow. Arrgh, the wait! Was given the OK to talk about it once it's out too. YEAH!

Gbraga

Character customisation is more in depth. You have full control over the way your character looks and the weapon he or she uses

Where is the HD sogood.gif when you need it?

"You go around, you've got guns, you shoot things," Adams says, bluntly. "There are some more elements to that. It's not just shooting and shooting and shooting - but that's stuff we can get into later. But from a pure gameplay point of view it's definitely action-oriented."

tragic pls, tell me "elements" means melee.

Adams won't go into detail on the monetisation, but it sounds like you'll be able to buy cosmetic items like outfits.

More costumes for my girl, I approve.

I was really interested, then I read this

Structurally, Hunt is designed as an online experience, but Crytek USA wants to support single-player play. There isn't a linear story of the kind we're used to from, say, The Last of Us. It sounds like the game is more about players learning about the world as they play and finding clues from old diaries and journals. Through this you'll put the pieces of the puzzle together to form an image that will help you track down and kill the game's bosses. "That's the experience we want to create for the player," Adams says.

Darksiders was a boxed product in the traditional, THQ sense. You paid your money and you got your game. Hunt is free-to-play.

There goes my hoping from a supernatural hunting story SP, Still I'll keep an eye on the E3 gameplay, though the hype just took a nose drive for me.

tragic

Developer
Hi! This was the info/interview I was waiting for. I can talk about basically anything mentioned in the interview and maybe shed a bit more light on it (though some things I may have to check on first!).

The most important to take note is the stance on free to play. Our goal from the start has simply been to make a great game - not a great "F2P" game - just a great game, and then put it out there for free. We want you to look at it and think "I would totally pay for this!" and then allow you to determine if you do and what you spend money on if you do. As for the things we monetize, that's still up in the air... but it is absolutely important to us that players don't feel like they have to pay to succeed. Conversely, we don't want anyone feeling that if they don't pay, they will be at a disadvantage. That is something we are definitely against and something we always have in our minds.

As for costumes/characters; you make your own character. You aren't forced to play the characters that appear in the trailer, but you can certainly make your character (male or female) look just like them (or even crazier, or even more traditional). Want to make a Wild Bill looking guy? Do it. Want to make a Sherlock Holmes? Do it. Like David said, if you can think of a character from that time period, you'll probably be able to make it. Totally up to you. Do it!

Other "elements" definitely include some form of melee as well as other stuff. Hopefully these things will be brought to life over the next week or so (E3, YEAH!).

Really, though... don't worry about the Free to Play nature of the game or see it as a drawback. We are all well aware of the stigma of "F2P" and we are truly working to fight against that very stigma. We just want to make a really badass, high-quality, AAA title that just happens to be free. If your reaction is ultimately "WOW, this game is free?!?!?" then we have absolutely succeeded!

Gbraga

Hi! This was the info/interview I was waiting for. I can talk about basically anything mentioned in the interview and maybe shed a bit more light on it (though some things I may have to check on first!).

The most important to take note is the stance on free to play. Our goal from the start has simply been to make a great game - not a great "F2P" game - just a great game, and then put it out there for free. We want you to look at it and think "I would totally pay for this!" and then allow you to determine if you do and what you spend money on if you do. As for the things we monetize, that's still up in the air... but it is absolutely important to us that players don't feel like they have to pay to succeed. Conversely, we don't want anyone feeling that if they don't pay, they will be at a disadvantage. That is something we are definitely against and something we always have in our minds.

As for costumes/characters; you make your own character. You aren't forced to play the characters that appear in the trailer, but you can certainly make your character (male or female) look just like them (or even crazier, or even more traditional). Want to make a Wild Bill looking guy? Do it. Want to make a Sherlock Holmes? Do it. Like David said, if you can think of a character from that time period, you'll probably be able to make it. Totally up to you. Do it!

Other "elements" definitely include some form of melee as well as other stuff. Hopefully these things will be brought to life over the next week or so (E3, YEAH!).

Really, though... don't worry about the Free to Play nature of the game or see it as a drawback. We are all well aware of the stigma of "F2P" and we are truly working to fight against that very stigma. We just want to make a really badass, high-quality, AAA title that just happens to be free. If your reaction is ultimately "WOW, this game is free?!?!?" then we have absolutely succeeded!

The most interesting thing I take from this is that it's your team that is banging heads thinking on how to make this F2P model be fair for the players, and not Crytek. Is it fair to say that they just decided on F2P, and how to do it is up to you?

What about budget, is it about the same that you'd get if this was a buy to play game?

God, E3 needs to come right now, I want to see some combat footage and, most importantly, read you dissecating the combat systems we just saw, it was a blast to talk about Darksiders II's combat with you, I hope those guys all come back to discuss this too.

EDIT: I mean, you ARE Crytek now, but you know what I mean.

Duxxy3

There isn't a linear story of the kind we're used to from, say, The Last of Us. It sounds like the game is more about players learning about the world as they play and finding clues from old diaries and journals.

Unfortunately, that's about what I expected.

As with any F2P game I will remain extremely skeptical until I see the details. As soon as I see a progression system that seems unusually slow without a few small purchases I'm out.

Raide

tragic ....any news on gameplay vids? that will answer most of my questions

This.

I love the idea but I need some footage to know if I am buying into the game. It already has me at co-op Zombie/Monster punching, as well as customization and loot, so I need to see some of it all in action.

tragic

Developer
The most interesting thing I take from this is that it's your team that is banging heads thinking on how to make this F2P model be fair for the players, and not Crytek. Is it fair to say that they just decided on F2P, and how to do it is up to you?

This is an interesting question. The only thing I can really say for sure is that we are absolutely committed to making a high quality game and not hamstringing players who don't spend any money. Now, if I were reading that as someone on the outside looking in, I'd think "riiiiiiiiight"... but it's absolutely true.

Think about it this way; Our studio is comprised of a large variety of people that play a large variety of games, both f2p and pay. We have every type of game player here - much like that which makes up NeoGAF (and the rest of the internet). We have people that play pay games, people that love f2p in moderation, whales. In this one particular aspect (in regards to HUNT) we are on the "other side" of the mirror, but for every other game, we are sitting in the exact same place you all are - "We want good games". We don't want our games to be hamstrung any more than you do, and that is something we take into serious consideration when making our game for you (and for us!).

The TL;DR version is... Everyone on our team wants to make a game that they would play themselves (much like those of us that worked on Darksiders). We know what we like and dislike. We know what we expect, and we've heard it all before. All we can do is try and deliver the best game possible!

What about budget, is it about the same that you'd get if this was a buy to play game?

No clue. This is way out of my wheelhouse. All I know is that we are making a game and we haven't been held back yet, so we keep pushing forward. That's it!

God, E3 needs to come right now, I want to see some combat footage and, most importantly, read you dissecating the combat systems we just saw, it was a blast to talk about Darksiders II's combat with you, I hope those guys all come back to discuss this too.

EDIT: I mean, you ARE Crytek now, but you know what I mean.

I really want to talk more and more about the game, but I have to wait until more info is released. Like any company, Crytek has plans to reveal info at whatever pace they feel appropriate. Soon as the info is out there, I can talk about it and I absolutely look forward to doing so.

I have a blast talking to people about game development (be it as a developer discussing a project I'm working on, or as a fan discussing a game I love playing). I also really enjoy talking to everyone on NeoGAF because there is an unrestrained restraint (if that makes sense). There is a high level of respect, but also a strong BS detecter. As the weeks and months come, more and more information will become available and I'll totally be around to talk about it (unless I'm told I can't!).

So far, so good!

another goddam 4 player coop hack and slash shooter. Maybe its just the lingering feelings after MS conference but there sure are a lot of these games all of the sudden.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
The levels are procedurally generated crafted tiles of certain themes too, from places like abandoned mines, towns, bayous, etc. They're randomly combined based on certain criteria. The premise is that whatever enemies you fight can vary from zombies, skeletons, human cultists, etc depending on each location, and they become more inhuman the farther you venture out from civilization.

The controls are more slow and methodical, but not tank'ish like RE or anything.

You leave my tank controls alone. It added dread that I could be killed at any given moment during an enemy encounter, because I could take a full piss before making one full turn in RE.

Gbraga

tragiiiic, the game just appeared on GT, time to talk!

About the "look of free to play", not gonna lie, the hit detections and hitboxes are kinda off, I hope that gets improved for the final game, but the visuals are indeed really good and not something I would look at and say "this is a free to play game".

What kind of depth can we expect from the combat system that is not very common in this genre? Maybe some RE styled melee setups (that would require better hit detection, though)?

Top Bottom