• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek/ex-Vigil show HUNT: Horrors of the Gilded Age (F2P, TPS, console/PC, 4 co-op)

GHG

I'm actually pleasantly surprised with this game. Looks far more interesting than Evolve, and at least Crytek aren't trying to get away with selling a F2P game at a retail price.

Signing up for the Beta. I'm in.

tragic

Developer
In this preview, David mentions our view on Free to Play.

IGN Live: E3

IGN: Why the choice to go F2P?

David: Really, for us, it was a matter of the business model. It's something Crytek wanted to pursue. For us it's an interesting idea because we're just making a game that's what we would have made as a normal retail game. Our goal, if you look at the game, you go "yeah, I'd pay 60 bucks for that", but our plan is you get that for free. That whole experience you would have paid 60 dollars for is absolutely free. There's no, artificial gates, there's no artificial time limits, there's no pay to win - none of that... you do get the game for free. We thought that would be cool and interesting. It's like, no one has really done that before.

... and you know, there's cosmetic items and other random stuff that eventually you can buy that we hope will pay for the game, but, you know, we really do plan to give that core game away for free and see how people respond.

In our head it's like "AAA F2P game, how's that gonna work?" so we'll see how it works out.

DieH@rd

Banned
We are trying to give away a AAA retail game for free. =)

For me, AAA needs to deliver high quality singleplayer/coop experience, something that will tell great story and showcase great characters that will have meaningful char progression.

But that's just me. :)

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Looks fun. Crytek buying Vigil was a really good deal on both ends. I mean not only is Vigil now not defunct, but now they get a really high end game engine to use for their fairly good gameplay design. Crytek should get some good sales and new franchises.

tragic

Developer
For me, AAA needs to deliver high quality singleplayer/coop experience, something that will tell great story and showcase great characters that will have meaningful char progression.

But that's just me. :)

Well, you'll be able to play our game with 1p, 2p, 3p, or 4p. The game is definitely tuned as a coop experience and there may actually be some bosses that are nigh impossible to do 1p (most-likely the biggest most complex ones). Of course, we also understand the draw of people wanting to solo them, no matter how hard they are. Our progression system is definitely going to help you out with that. I can absolutely see people wanting to try 1p or 2p runs. Bragging rights!

Looks fun. Crytek buying Vigil was a really good deal on both ends. I mean not only is Vigil now not defunct, but now they get a really high end game engine to use for their fairly good gameplay design. Crytek should get some good sales and new franchises.

Besides being able to work with many of the same people from Vigil, one of the major benefits of becoming part of Crytek was being able to use CryEngine and have direct access (and even influence on) the people that created it. There was a learning curve, but the benefits are quite awesome.

so it's basically killing floor or left 4 dead

The 4-player of L4D, the boss fights of Monster Hunter, the challenge of Dark Souls, and a similar pace to RE4. Plenty of other influences, but those are the major inspirations. Of course, our goal is to be our own thing, but that's one easy way to get the idea across.

Also can't forget the progression and loadouts. You get to make any character type you want, such as; Gunslinger, Rifleman, Support, etc... and you can completely customize how they look. We really want you to be able to create a character with a playstyle that you enjoy and a look that you identify with (or just think looks badass)!

Gbraga

RE4 + Dark Souls + Monster Hunter + L4D (among others!).

tumblr_n4oa38Yfx51rz0f3vo1_500.gif

EDIT: Any chance you can throw your axe and then have to recover it from the enemy?

EDIT2: The boss fight was pretty cool, can't wait to see the variety! whens beta

jesu

I'm glad this thread popped up, thanks op, I'm signed up for the beta.
I'm not adverse to the f2p model and this one sounds better than most.

tragic

Developer
EDIT: Any chance you can throw your axe and then have to recover it from the enemy?

EDIT2: The boss fight was pretty cool, can't wait to see the variety! whens beta

Beta is sometime in the fall. Not sure of exact dates.

As for our boss fights, we really want to get that Monster Hunter feel down where, even though you fight the same boss multiple times, it still feels fun and exciting each time. Of course, we also want lots of unique bosses!

tragic

Developer
I'm glad this thread popped up, thanks op, I'm signed up for the beta.
I'm not adverse to the f2p model and this one sounds better than most.

I'm confident we can turn a few heads and give you all something you didn't quite expect!

sunnz

REALLY interested, hope the F2P aspect doesn't ruin it.

Combat looks satisfying and the atmosphere looks great. Love the setting and style of the game. Quite unique.

Can't wait.

tragic

Developer
REALLY interested, hope the F2P aspect doesn't ruin it.

Combat looks satisfying and the atmosphere looks great. Love the setting and style of the game. Quite unique.

Can't wait.

We are super aware of the stigma that comes with F2P and we are actively trying to combat it. Of course the goal is to sustain the cost of the game and the development team... even make some money (no kidding?!) but we also don't want to punish players for giving our game a chance.

Keeping those things in mind is a big motivator as we add elements. The beta will be a great opportunity to see how the public reacts to what we've done (both in gameplay and the "F2P" space).

Gaz_RB

Beta is sometime in the fall. Not sure of exact dates.

As for our boss fights, we really want to get that Monster Hunter feel down where, even though you fight the same boss multiple times, it still feels fun and exciting each time. Of course, we also want lots of unique bosses!

Is it going to be an open beta?

If not...bruh... you gotta slide me a code.

nnodley

Neo Member
We are trying to give away a AAA retail game for free. =)
I honestly was not expecting much to come from this free to play game. HOWEVER, after seeing the gameplay I am very excited for this game. Looks like a ton of fun and I am very glad a developer is actually really trying to get rid of the stigma F2P games usually get. You have done that for me at least. Can't wait to see more!

This seems very nice, hoping for some gameplay soon.
Best thing that might happen is a f2p model ala DOTA 2 honestly (or TF2 or Loadout more recently), everything that has an impact on gameplay is free/can be purchased with free currency with no grind and paid stuff is purely cosmetic.

When your game is great your dedicated players are almost surely gonna end up spending money on the game, I've rarely seen a person that has played CS:GO/DOTA2 for more than 100hrs without a paid skin in his/her posession.
Crates have something to play there too I think, people drop free low tier skins and end up trading/selling them, get a key and open their crates and get a good skin so they think "cool, maybe I'll put 10 bucks in my account and buy some keys".

What I'm trying to say is that when your model is fair and seems fair people are more inclined to reward you for that by actually paying. Please no model like Warface with weapons that need repairs and that you don't own, this is really, really, really obsolete.

EDIT : By the way (I don't know if you're allowed to talk about that yet so if that's the case I understand), is the game only going to be released on GFACE or is it also getting a release elsewhere ? (PC).
Thanks.

tragic

Developer
Is it going to be an open beta?

If not...bruh... you gotta slide me a code.

I'm not sure if there will be an open beta, but there will definitely be a beta in some form. You can sign up now at www.huntthegame.com (hope that's ok to link).

I honestly was not expecting much to come from this free to play game. HOWEVER, after seeing the gameplay I am very excited for this game. Looks like a ton of fun and I am very glad a developer is actually really trying to get rid of the stigma F2P games usually get. You have done that for me at least. Can't wait to see more!

Getting past the standard F2P stigma is an uphill battle, but it's one we are totally willing to tackle. Super glad you are excited!

Best thing that might happen is a f2p model ala DOTA 2 honestly (or TF2 or Loadout more recently), everything that has an impact on gameplay is free/can be purchased with free currency with no grind and paid stuff is purely cosmetic.

This is absolutely the goal. We don't want anything that affects gameplay to be locked behind a pay wall. David (our CEO) mentioned that in one of the interviews. We will do our best! =)

When your game is great your dedicated players are almost surely gonna end up spending money on the game...

Definitely! That's certainly how I feel when I play F2P games!

We have a lot of diehard game players (both buy-to-play and f2p) at the office. We know what we like and we know what annoys us too... and we are pretty certain that's how many other people feel. As I've mentioned before (as has David), we really do want to make a triple-A game and give it away for free. Hopefully the players respond and we can make a couple of dollars and keep working to make the game even better.

Like you said, when your game is great, people will spend money. Our focus is to make it great!!!

=D

tragic

Developer
Tragic, you are killing it with your outreach here. Thanks for keeping us informed. Can't wait to play it!

No problem! I can't talk about stuff that hasn't been mentioned... so any time I come across a new official video or interview that sheds more light on the game, I bring it up!

Hope it helps! =)

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting, now if only we could get them to do a Cathulhu themed missions.

edit: just watched the other interview and he does mention Cathulhu type creatures. I would like to see a full on Cathulhu types.

Gaz_RB

^Yeah I'd like to know this too. Sucks what is going on at Crytek, but this is really the only game I really hope comes out of it ok.

BibiMaghoo

I was so hyped for this game , so disappointing to see that game moving from Austin to Frankfurt :(

I am disappointed about a three month bump just to read someone is disappointed about a game that is still going to be released and finished...

I'm not really lol, but that was a bad bump

I am disappointed about a three month bump just to read someone is disappointed about a game that is still going to be released and finished...

I'm not really lol, but that was a bad bump

The people will probably lose their jobs...
And switching studios is never good for a game

BibiMaghoo

The people will probably lose their jobs...
And switching studios is never good for a game

I don't know enough about their internal structure to know how much of a difference it will make. Yes, people have been made redundant and having been there myself, I can tell you it is the worst thing in the world. But concern for the game is too early. It is still Crytek, it is still being developed and finished. There is no need to be disappointed over nothing that effects you at this time. Let's see how it plays out for the game first.

FadeX

Banned
Lol at ''free-to-play''. No thanks.

Release some fucking proper games for a full price and then I might consider.

" There's no, artificial gates, there's no artificial time limits, there's no pay to win - none of that... you do get the game for free. "

Well you definitely convinced me to at least give it a try.

Been wanting to see a L4D-esque game with some changes to the mechanics so I'm definitely interested.

I wonder if this will now be Buy To Play (assuming they can get a publisher and it probably needs a name change), seeing as F2P really hasn't worked out for Crytek so far.

Top Bottom