• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek/ex-Vigil show HUNT: Horrors of the Gilded Age (F2P, TPS, console/PC, 4 co-op)

tragic

Developer
tragiiiic, the game just appeared on GT, time to talk!

About the "look of free to play", not gonna lie, the hit detections and hitboxes are kinda off, I hope that gets improved for the final game, but the visuals are indeed really good and not something I would look at and say "this is a free to play game".

What kind of depth can we expect from the combat system that is not very common in this genre? Maybe some RE styled melee setups (that would require better hit detection, though)?

Finally! (Even more info soon, I'm sure).

As for hit detection/hit boxes, don't worry about that. I'm currently working on all of that stuff as we speak. We wanted to make sure everything got in and working first so we had a playable game, then really hammer down on feel through relentless tuning. I got your back on that! I'm all about feel... like, that's one of my main things!

As I mentioned above, one of the primary goals was make sure that on release (or close to release) people would look at the game and go "woah, wtf? this is free?!?!"

Definitely leveraging the power of Cryengine to make it happen.

Keep in mind; our studio was formed from scratch (we started completely over when forming Crytek USA) and now we are here in a little over a year with a fully playable game. Fully randomized environments, tons of different enemies, REAL bosses, mini-bosses, and a whole slew of other stuff that hasn't been mentioned yet!

We have a bit to go to really get it to the point where we want it, but all of the mechanics are all there and the look is really popping! Now it's just a matter of time and elbow grease. =)

tragic

Developer
Gameplay section from GT looked very... resident evil-ish. Slowpaced in both movement and combat. Nice.

The gameplay is definitely slower than some of the more traditional 4p coop games. This was, of course, completely intentional. As mentioned, bullets are very limited - You are going to need to scavenge for bullets, watch the back of your hunting partners, and react to ever-changing combat situations.

Also, the game is hard. On purpose.

jond76

Banned
Thx for dropping in, Tragic. Do you guys have any better source for that play through? Looks great :). Congrats on the reveal!

tragic

Developer
I'm not entirely sure of what else is going to be shown or revealed throughout the next few days. The bosses have all of that information... I can only hope more and more stuff is talked about so I can talk to you all about it here!

Pumped for this game to finally see the light of day as it is something we've been working hard on since we put our desks together at Crytek USA!

Gbraga

Finally! (Even more info soon, I'm sure).

As for hit detection/hit boxes, don't worry about that. I'm currently working on all of that stuff as we speak. We wanted to make sure everything got in and working first so we had a playable game, then really hammer down on feel through relentless tuning. I got your back on that! I'm all about feel... like, that's one of my main things!

As I mentioned above, one of the primary goals was make sure that on release (or close to release) people would look at the game and go "woah, wtf? this is free?!?!"

Definitely leveraging the power of Cryengine to make it happen.

Keep in mind; our studio was formed from scratch (we started completely over when forming Crytek USA) and now we are here in a little over a year with a fully playable game. Fully randomized environments, tons of different enemies, REAL bosses, mini-bosses, and a whole slew of other stuff that hasn't been mentioned yet!

We have a bit to go to really get it to the point where we want it, but all of the mechanics are all there and the look is really popping! Now it's just a matter of time and elbow grease. =)

Oh, that's right, you're one of those rare studios that aren't afraid of making actual boss fights in shooters.

Thank god.

Can't wait to see witch time and devil trigger.

tragic

Developer
I'm pretty sure (but don't quote me) that you will see at least one boss come out of E3. I'll just preface it and say it's like... one of the smallest =).

Gbraga

I'm pretty sure (but don't quote me) that you will see at least one boss come out of E3. I'll just preface it and say it's like... one of the smallest =).

tumblr_n6ohsxLfO91twodyxo1_500.gif

I just discovered that game at the E3 GamesSpot coverage and I think that this could be the perfect thing for me until Left 4 Dead 3 comes out

Graphically it looks amazing and I love the whole setting and concept of it , the only thing that bothers me at the moment that it´s F2P...
F2P games have such fluctuating player base , are almost every time pay 2 win and their content is almost every time as expensive as regular retail games

I would love to see them release a full retail version of this game just like DriveClub
People would treat this game totally different , but F2P seems to be the trend at the moment...

Nonetheless I am exited to see more and maybe play it at GamesCom
This could be for me as a Left4Dead Fanboy the biggest E3 surprise , but I think that the decision to go F2P will kinda ruin this for me

tragic

Developer
Don't let it ruin it for you until you get your hands on it. You will be pleasantly surprised. I promise!!!!

Since I loved what I saw , I will definitely give it a try :)
That´s the only good thing with f2p for me

Really strange that I missed the original announcement
Registered for the beta , can´t wait to try this out ;)

When this was announced, I was pretty convinced this was going to be kind of an isometric game. So I was pleasantly surprised to see how good it looks. Signed up for the beta. In Tragic I trust!

demolitio

Quite intrigued by this and can't wait to try it. I'm a sucker for these types of games and this one has a lot of potential. Not to mention, I love TPS games ever since SOCOM.

Hope I get into the beta. I love seeing these F2P games grow into their own while trying to prevent the P2W schemes from infecting them...lol

Is this rehosted on Youtube? Gamespot player is not playing nice.

Does it sometimes slow your browser down to a crawl? It did that a few times to me last night with Firefox.

Raide

Slower paced than I thought it would be. Some Resident Evil feeling there with movement and aiming. Nice to see period weapons but I wonder how quickly those will get a little boring. Will keep my eye on it. Looks like it could be fun!

jond76

Banned
Quite intrigued by this and can't wait to try it. I'm a sucker for these types of games and this one has a lot of potential. Not to mention, I love TPS games ever since SOCOM.

Hope I get into the beta. I love seeing these F2P games grow into their own while trying to prevent the P2W schemes from infecting them...lol

Does it sometimes slow your browser down to a crawl? It did that a few times to me last night with Firefox.

To be fair I'm on my phone. It starts to play for about 15 seconds then freezes.

I watched the presentation at E3. The respawning is awesome as you are tied upside down or locked in a coffin and have to have your team release you. Cool concept.

tragic

Developer
Hi all!

OK, here's some more info:

We know that no matter how solid our guns are, period-authentic weapons can only stay interesting for a while (even if the Double Barrel Shotgun is Doom 2 quality!). As David mentioned in the interview, we definitely have a lot of things planned (especially the prototype stuff from that period). There were many weapons in our research that never came to fruition in the 19th century, or if they did, they teetered on the edge of crazy but never quite got there. Our goal is to not only make sure we bring these weapons to light, but also really bring out the potential of 19th century weaponry and ingenuity.

As for the pace, it's definitely slower. You can try your best to rush through the missions, and in some cases, it may work... however, you run the risk of running out of bullets, missing rewards, or even running into a dead end with tons of enemies behind you. The game is definitely tougher than the norm, and if you end up surrounded by more than the average number of enemies, you are in for pain!

David also mentioned items. Items are part of your initial loadout (you can't change in-game, but only when preparing for the mission). Dynamite, MedKits, Waystones (the item used in the demo which is "crushed" like a Dark Souls Humanity and shows you the way), among others. Creating a good team is not about making sure all 4 Hunters have "the best" items, it's about making sure each player can contribute to the team and give the biggest cover to a host of potential scenarios.

In addition to items, there are also abilities (or "Traits"). These are also customizable.

There are no set classes, so you basically make your own "class" or "archetype" and fill whatever role you want. Weapons, Items, Abilities, and of course, their overall look.

The real focus is taking down bosses. The majority of the gameplay you've seen so far is about "getting" to the boss... but make no mistake, there are bosses! These aren't just rehashes of enemies from the missions, but full on 4p boss fights. Oh, and as I mentioned in an earlier post, the Witch is among the smallest of our bosses so far. =)

When a player dies, he respawns somewhere else in the level and must be rescued (always forward in the mission, never backwards). The two rescue scenarios which we've shown so far are the coffin and the meathook. When you respawn in a rescue state, you can totally see around you but you can't move otherwise. You can also yell out for help and try to direct your team towards you, but you MAY want to be careful about how loud you are. Perhaps you should just be very... very... quiet. Just a thought!

Also, you CAN leave the player in a rescue state... however, it will definitely not benefit you to do so... probably. =)

The bosses (and other enemies) are based on famous folklore from around the world. As David mentioned, you will be able to research our bosses to find out where the myths/legends originated. The variations in HUNT just happen to be our take on those legends.

Also, it's not just an "America" thing at all... New Orleans just happens to be the first area we are showing.

Player Progression is very important to us. We say "RPG lite" because we aren't making Dragon Age or Skyrim, but you can rest assured that there will be a lot of character-specific motivations for you to continue playing!

Resources are limited (bullets, heals, cures, lamp oil, etc).

You have a lamp/lantern... it will run out if you over use it.

There are quick kills.

Melee is meant to help you conserve ammo.

There is friendly fire.

You will die... the real question is, can your team make it back to your respawn and rescue you. If they can't... they will probably die too!

Multiple mission types. During each mission, besides just doing the mission-specific goal, you also want to collect information as to the whereabouts of the boss of the area. Once you locate them... it's time for pain!

All missions are randomly generated. Random layout, random enemy spawns, random events... you will never play the same exact mission twice.

... and finally:

Jumping through windows is 500% more fun than going through the door. This has been proven time and time again since we implemented the window jump.

GameSpot: Hunt - Stage Demo

batteryLeakage

Neo Member
The game looks really cool. I have to ask, is it possible this game will be released on Linux? I know that Cryengine has support for the platform and Homefront will be releasing on it, so I was wondering if this has a chance too.

Edit: Oh and please tell me Crytek and Nordic are in talks to do a Darksiders 3. I know you wouldn't be able to tell us if you were but I had to throw that out there.

tragic

Developer
For sure! I don't even get involved with the system discussion (I'm not in a position to sway the decision in any direction). I just focus on trying to make the game as cool as possible. That being said, I'm sure the goal is to have broad accessibility! We'll see what happens!

Gaz_RB

The gameplay is definitely slower than some of the more traditional 4p coop games. This was, of course, completely intentional. As mentioned, bullets are very limited - You are going to need to scavenge for bullets, watch the back of your hunting partners, and react to ever-changing combat situations.

Also, the game is hard. On purpose.
You are speaking my language man.

What was the inspiration for the game? I see some RE4 in there!

SystemBug

I'm not sure. I want you guys to play it ASAP. Wish I knew for sure =).

Thats alright! I'm just anxious is all. Me and my friends are always looking to play more co-op games and this looks right up our alley!

It's nice to see another Vigil game and I'm really happy for you guys :)

tragic

Developer
Thats alright! I'm just anxious is all. Me and my friends are always looking to play more co-op games and this looks right up our alley!

It's nice to see another Vigil game and I'm really happy for you guys :)

Don't forget the new team-members that didn't work at Vigil. Being a part of Crytek really allowed us the opportunity to get some incredible new talent with fresh perspectives on things.=)

SystemBug

Don't forget the new team-members that didn't work at Vigil. Being a part of Crytek really allowed us the opportunity to get some incredible new talent with fresh perspectives on things.=)

Very true,

BTW I was wondering if there were any major challenges you and the team faced while working on HUNT in terms of coming up with the combat mechanics which "feel right." It is a pretty big jump from Darksiders in the way combat works.

tragic

Developer
Very true,

BTW I was wondering if there were any major challenges you and the team faced while working on HUNT in terms of coming up with the combat mechanics which "feel right." It is a pretty big jump from Darksiders in the way combat works.

Major challenges? I'm not sure. I mean, moving over to CryEngine was a challenge after working with our Darksiders tools and tech for so long... but it wasn't particularly hard. The CryEngine tools and tech really allowed us to hit the ground running. It was just something we had to learn.

The biggest challenge is probably ahead of us; proving that our "F2P" game is not only going to stand out and be unique... but also avoid many of the traditional F2P trappings and exceed all of your expectations. No joke, that's what we are going for!

geordiemp

cant believe I missed this game watching E3 streams...

Just found a mention of it on a web site listing survival horror of e3

looks interesting

Top Bottom