• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CS:GO is Hard as Fuck to Be "Decent" At

Ansatz

CS has alot of advanced techniques you need to master, that is what's off putting about the game to me. You have to practice hundreds of hours on stuff that isn't related to game sense, things like memorizing all the smoke spots and pulling them off with high consistency, spray control which differs depending on weapon, platforming, all the names of spots on all maps to call enemy positions effectively, communication in general, and don't get me started on the flashes. I reached legendary eagle rank in 2 months playing 500 hours and was stable there. Just like how in sports you need to think about stuff like your diet and doing mindless things like working out at the gym and other things completely unrelated to the sport itself; that's boring, I just want to play the game.

Oh and I'm against smurfing. Why do you think there are leagues in sports? Also from the point of view of a smurfer, what is there to gain for you? It's not a meaningful experience playing against lower skilled opponents.

ChronoX

Oh and I'm against smurfing. Why do you think there are leagues in sports? Also from the point of view of a smurfer, what is there to gain for you? It's not a meaningful experience playing against lower skilled opponents.

I know a smurf and I asked him why he does it and his answers were:

1. He enjoys griefing.
2. It boosts his confidence for matches on his main account.

Ansatz

I know a smurf and I asked him why he does it and his answers were:

1. He enjoys griefing.
2. It boosts his confidence for matches on his main account.

Enjoy griefing yeah that's nice. The four other players commit 45-60 min of their lives only to get fucked over by a troll.

Not that I care, I no longer play the game.

Grief.exe

I did something I usually never do in CS:GO. We were up 4-0, and I was feeling pretty good with a 9-0 KD:R. I was the last one alive at the end of that fourth round and picked up an AWP. One of my teammates starts yelling that its his AWP and he demands it back. I'm trying to pick down middle on Dust 2 t-side, when he stands in front of me and refuses to move. His clan mate also begins to talk, and I decide enough is enough. I shoot the kid standing in my way in the head, and then proceed to walk down the middle without shooting for the rest of the game. The final score ended up being 16:5, enemy team wins.

I'm typically never one to throw, but the community has been so out of line in games I've played recently that I'm a little fed up. =/ I know we all have stories like that, but I felt like venting.

Your mistake was sinking down to their level. Just play the game.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Over 350 hours and legendary legal rank. It takes time to learn. It isn't like BF4 or COD where you can k/D master within minutes. Ansatz summed it up quite nicely.

I wish there were 5 vs 5 casual matches. The jump from Casual to Competitive is enormous. Especially when there is no mode to train you for Competitive.

The only proper "training mode" for competitive play in counter strike is actually training. There isn't a simulation that will prepare you for going up against people who have been playing for almost 20 years.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Your mistake was sinking down to their level. Just play the game.
Not a chance. I wasn't going to carry them to a win. No way in hell. I really don't mind the loss, just the time sink.

His buddy ended up leaving and received a 24hr ban. Apparently they've been causing trouble a number of times recently. It was well worth it.

pants

lol what is all of this smurf talk. I have to google how this pertains to csgo, never heard the term

People use 'smurf account' slightly incorrectly in cs:go though. In cs:go they use it as a way to say 'good players dropping down a level to play people worse than them' What it actually means is you are so well known on your main account that people refuse to play against you, so you have to make a dupe so people dont know it's you.

I kinda have a swedish rule in cs:go. If my opponents are swedish i just mentally go 'gg' and try and at least have fun with the pummeling me and my team are about to endure.

Omega

Banned
That is bullshit. Perhaps playing with better players yeah (no not boosting), but going up against people who can kill so easy without you ever knowing why is not going to help. First off fuck smurfs. What is good for you is actually learning how to play. (e.g. recoil, map smokes). Reviewing what you are doing wrong, and working on your aim by doing some offline bot dm just to learn the guns. That whole smurf are better for you argument is dumb, and only leads to people not enjoying their time with the game. Fresh player gets put in silver and facing smurf is not doing anybody favors. It's just that smurf being an asshole because way better than the people playing against.

ha

someone actually managed to get Mokoi to post seriously. should give people an idea of how shitty smurfs are.

Applebite

The only people that would actually try and justify smurfing are smurfs themselves. Good job letting everyone know that you're too bad at the game to play fair.

big youth

I've been playing since 1.4 and I'm still not great. it's a rewarding game (actually the best game ever imo) but it's a long learning curve.

orava

These things... They take time.

2bXmRIm.gif

DeBurgo

I played my first couple of competitive matches with a friend today. In the same match we were called terrible by a teammate (who then proceeded to go 1 and 8 and then drop from the match entirely, but not before blaming us for his last couple deaths) and also had the opposing team accuse us of being smurfs because we did okay (we lost but like 13-16) but haven't made rank yet. Meanwhile this match, the one before it, and the road to level 3 just to get to competitive is easily probably the most CS I've played in well over a decade. Possibly ever.

CS:GO community sure is silly :)

btw this is probably the most fun I've had at CS ever as well, fwiw. Of course I'll get back to you when I'm 9+ matches in and still haven't won one yet...

ArjanN

Not a chance. I wasn't going to carry them to a win. No way in hell. I really don't mind the loss, just the time sink.

His buddy ended up leaving and received a 24hr ban. Apparently they've been causing trouble a number of times recently. It was well worth it.

Nah, in the end you still become part of the problem that way. If someone is being a dick just report/mute them and play for yourself.

Tenck

People should go in to a match expecting your teammates are either going to hate you or each other in competitive. Maybe once in a while you'll get a competent team.

I had THREE games in a row where people were bitching at each other. I was getting a headache and wanted to abandon so badly. Then I just finished one right now where we were dicking around and joking about random stuff. What a great game that was. Ended game with an Ace with just AWP. Felt good.

Pretty much what I want to say is don't start shit with teammates. Communication and teamwork make or break games. I can't stress that enough. Best to stick with friends honestly or you're going to have bad games one after another (unless you can carry).

ChronoX

Pretty much what I want to say is don't start shit with teammates. Communication and teamwork make or break games. I can't stress that enough. Best to stick with friends honestly or you're going to have bad games one after another (unless you can carry).

For a long time I had no friends and it was painful. I tried being nice to people online and that never worked. A lot of people start off the match being friendly and then become raging assholes literally two minutes later.

Thankfully now I have three friends I consistently play with but we get owned a lot. I am still grateful for them though.

Dubz

I've been lucky with the ranked community so far. I've only had a couple games that had shitty people in them. Most of the time I'm grouped with people that communicate and want to win.

Dubz

I am now a Gold Nova 3. The last time I posted I was a GN1. Still enjoying the game, and learning the maps. I have branched out into playing Dust 2, Inferno, Cache, and Mirage. This is the best MP FPS game of all time as far as I'm converned

Grief.exe

I use this workshop mod to warm up my aim rather than Deathmatch.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=419404847

Turn on ghost crosshair, show bullet impacts, and terrorist target. Then practice your recoil control from all distances.

Before I go into a competitive queue, I always turn on bullet impacts and the terrorist target, then jump around randomly so I can practice my snap aim and recoil at different distances.

I am now a Gold Nova 3. The last time I posted I was a GN1. Still enjoying the game, and learning the maps. I have branched out into playing Dust 2, Inferno, Cache, and Mirage.

I would drop Inferno and just get better at the other three maps. Inferno is so reliant on team play to succeed that you won't have much success on solo queue. Also it is considered to be wildly CT sided.

This is the best MP FPS game of all time as far as I'm converned

You're not wrong.

Septic360

Banned
It's not a tradtional shooter, there's no moment in which the game will suddenly "click", you have to try really hard to improve.

Learning maps is one of the most pivotal aspects of the game. Learning "spots"...where to play and sit. Pro players tend to master a spot, and play that spot exclusively in teams.

Then you need to learn;
- Smokes and flashes for each map. Learn what "pop flashes" are, and where they are on each map.

- Crosshair placement, the most important thing to learn in CSGO that'll instantly make you better.

- Learning what to buy, and the concept of "eco" and an "eco round".

- Roles. Learn them...get a feel for what type of player you are. "Lurker", "Entry Fragger", "Support", "Awper" etc. There's other more niche stuff too.

- Strats. Learn various strats and executions...rimportant for competitive group play.

All of this stuff can be googled, and there's a wealth of resources and videos online, youtube in particular. You can sit in casual lobbies forever and still have fun, but at it's core, CSGO / Counterstrike in general is a purely competitive game. One of the best things for overcoming competitive anxiety is to simply play ranked matches exclusively. When you get better, you'll naturally climb. Don't play for rank...play to improve.

Such sick advice. Listen to him!

MayauMiao

I've been playing this for the last 2 weeks about 2-3 hours a day after work, and I still suck ass. I think I've gone positive about 5 times out of a dozens and dozens of matches. When does this shit start "clicking"?

2 or 3 hours ain't enough when you're up against opponents who probably spent 5 plus hours a day for years to git gud.

Probably why I settle for single player games so I can play at my own pace and time.

Top Bottom