• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cult County (Renegade Kid) KS (Wii U, PS4, XO, PS3, Steam, Vita, no 3DS), 580k

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2029149553/cult-county-by-renegade-kid

Edit: 360 stretch goal is 640k.

photo-main.jpg

7322f7849a549b6f85fdfa0d867ebbc9_large.jpg

Yep, it's the game that Jools teased, looks like the 3DS version is no more.

Would explain why it was absent for so long.

Edit: What about 360?

We want to also support Xbox 360, but it requires extra license fees for Unity and development hardware to test on. Also, indie developers are unable to self-publish their games on the Xbox 360. Therefore, a third-party publisher is required to release it. We can only support the Xbox 360 if we reach the stretch goal. If we reach the stretch goal, backers will be able to choose from any of the available platforms.

Where's mah 3DS version?

If the Cult County name sounds familiar to you, you may have heard about our initial reveal of the game at last PAX on the Nintendo 3DS. You may even be someone who was looking forward to seeing the game on the 3DS.

Cult County has grown beyond the scope of the 3DS, and we do not want to compromise our vision for the game. We are excited by the opportunity home consoles and computers offer the game, and hope you share our enthusiasm. We have chosen to utilize the Unity engine to craft the experience, which unfortunately does not support the 3DS (yet?).

If there is enough interest in seeing Cult County on the 3DS, a "Nintendo 3DS" stretch goal could be added. However, it would need to cover the cost of developing a separate game entirely, as we would need to rebuilt the game from scratch with our proprietary 3DS engine.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It always did seem like they announced the original 3DS version a little too early, based on how many new projects they've announced since then. Really hope this works out!

bigkrev

We want to also support Xbox 360, but it requires extra license fees for Unity and development hardware to test on. Also, indie developers are unable to self-publish their games on the Xbox 360. Therefore, a third-party publisher is required to release it. We can only support the Xbox 360 if we reach the stretch goal. If we reach the stretch goal, backers will be able to choose from any of the available platforms.

*screaming internally*

Backing for Vita

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
That seems way too cheap for all the platforms.

Unity + breaking it up into episodes = cheaper development.

They're basically able to release an ep and get money from people buying it while they work on the next ep.

VLiberty

...wat.

Was it announced for 3DS only? I can understand a multiplatform release, but that's a pretty bad way to screw up with a userbase :/

Ridley327

...wat.

Was it announced for 3DS only? I can understand a multiplatform release, but that's a pretty bad way to screw up with a userbase :/

I get what you're saying, but Moon Chronicles is still on the way, as well as Mutant Mudds 2. They're hardly abandoning the 3DS.

Truth be told, some of the stuff they were talking about early on did sound pretty ambitious for the 3DS, and it seems like it just got too ambitious in the end.

VLiberty

I get what you're saying, but Moon Chronicles is still on the way, as well as Mutant Mudds 2. They're hardly abandoning the 3DS.

Truth be told, some of the stuff they were talking about early on did sound pretty ambitious for the 3DS, and it seems like it just got too ambitious in the end.

I'm not doubting their great dedication to the platform, it just sucks for those who were willing to play it on 3DS

580 000 dollars ? Good luck with that...

And still episodic ? Come on, I thought they've gone episodic for a cost reason on 3DS.

cacildo

Interested. Maybe this will be the first time i back anything on kickstarter

But some things are holding me down

First this "episode" and "season" thing...
Second is the fact that the game will take foreeeeeever to be released
Third.... i really dont know how can i pay this, can somebody explain?

Ridley327

580 000 dollars ? Good luck with that...

And still episodic ? Come on, I thought they've gone episodic for a cost reason on 3DS.

At the end of the day, they're still a tiny team, and handheld development offers with publishers just aren't what they used to be. I don't think this ever had a chance with any other format, regardless of its final platforms.

At the end of the day, they're still a tiny team, and handheld development offers with publishers just aren't what they used to be. I don't think this ever had a chance with any other format, regardless of its final platforms.

Well, considering the money they're asking for, I thought they'd at least could have a better format/deadline.

Cult County will be released in North America, Europe, Australia, and New Zealand.

Special Note for Steam Players: Cult County is already approved for Steam. It will not need to go through Greenlight! Thank you Valve!!
Nice that they clarified the release regions immediately. Europe (and I'm pretty sure Australia and New Zealand) have missed out on most of Renegade Kid's games.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Tbh I was interested because it would have been an interesting niche title on the 3DS with no real competition. On other systems they really have to deliver to get me excited again.

Sad that there is no 3DS version, we saw next to nothing of it and now it suddenly to big for the platform. Okay I guess.

VLiberty

Nice that they clarified the release regions immediately. Europe (and I'm pretty sure Australia and New Zealand) have missed out on most of Renegade Kid's games.

Here in Europe, Mutant Mudds has been released exclusively on 3DS, and maybe Steam?
European PS3, Vita and Wii U editions never saw the light of the day

VanWinkle

Part of me would like to get the Wii U version because I have yet to play an FPS on that platform, but it will probably be cross buy on PS4/Vita so I don't know. It makes more sense to get it there. Yeah, I'll have to get it there.

gogojira

They are asking for 20K $ per day? YIKES. Good luck to them.

No, they're asking for a shitload up front that eases off into a trickle throughout the middle of the campaign before a huge burst at the end. It's Kickstarter law.

I'll read into it more when I get home, but I might back this one if the details look good. No 3DS version is fine, if the game is meant to be on console level hardware, so be it. I'm not sure why anyone is offended by the asking price, it's nothing astronomical.

The whole episodic thing is the only bummer to me, but then again Broken Age turned out episodic in the end, too.

Tbh I was interested because it would have been an interesting niche title on the 3DS with no real competition. On other systems they really have to deliver to get me excited again.

Sad that there is no 3DS version, we saw next to nothing of it and now it suddenly to big for the platform. Okay I guess.
Strange that the only screenshot on the page is a cleaned up 3DS grab.

I hope this is more on par with the Dementium 2 remake on PC graphically. They really can't do a DS up-port on consoles.

cacildo

Can anybody ask em about

- Wiimote support?

What do you mean?

If you back it at the level that grants you the game when it's done, you'll receive a download code at the time of release.

No, i mean... international credit card, pay pal, etc?

(and since you step to answer it, what happens if the kickstarter dont reach its goal? Do i get my money back? How?)

Top Bottom