• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cult County (Renegade Kid) KS (Wii U, PS4, XO, PS3, Steam, Vita, no 3DS), 580k

Ridley327

Jools got back to me about my question:

What are your plans for controller options on the consoles? To be more specific:

-Will the Wii U version have support for Wii remote aiming in conjunction with the GamePad? And on the Wii U, are you planning on supporting the Pro Controller and the old Wii Classic Controller? What can we expect out of the game's use of the GamePad, as well?

-Will the Xbox One and PS4/PS3 versions support the GamePad functionality of the Wii U version via Smartglass/Playstation App/Vita cross-controller?

Our goal is to maintain parity across all platforms, and support unique hardware features where possible with natural extensions of the game. I hope this answers your question. Thanks!

Nothing detailed, but it does sound like they will be trying to do everything that the platforms will allow them to do.

rjc571

Banned
That's a pretty shitty thing to do to people who were looking forward to it on the 3DS. Based on the 3D screenshots of the game, the 3D really would've added to the game's atmosphere.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I doubt the Wii U version will just have the GamePad be a black screen, but I also doubt SmartGlass will be supported.

18-Volt

3DS got older faster than any other Nintendo handheld, I can understand them skipping it for a bigger and better game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Enjoyed Dementium and Renegade Kid staff are great with fans, so consider me in.

takoyaki

Backed (cautiously optimistic).
Did anyone here play the PC port of Dementium2? Enjoyed their style of games on the DS, but I'm not so sure if it hold up well on a HD platform...

nikatapi

In would like to see some footage first to be convinced, I hope they reach their goal even though I don't think they can make it.

Backed (cautiously optimistic).
Did anyone here play the PC port of Dementium2? Enjoyed their style of games on the DS, but I'm not so sure if it hold up well on a HD platform...

Even though Dementium 2 was ported to PC by a different team, it doesn't seem to hold up well on the platform. It feels really basic and old school. It's nice for a while, but becomes dull. I'm keeping an eye on this kickstarter, but I hope they can really improve their game design for the big screen.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I remember this

im in for Steam

Based Salsa
LtNDbKz.png

Tygamr

Feel bad for all the people that wanted this on 3DS. Glad it's coming to Vita though! Will look and play better. I feel like Moon Chronicles is kind of a consolation prize for 3DS owners- I mean, the first season is just an upgraded split up version of the DS game.

Backed for Wii U. I was interested in the game since the original 3DS announcment, but i'm happier now that it will come on more capable platforms (BTW there is still Moon Chronicles for my FPS fix on 3DS)

I was also really happy that they confirmed the EU release right away. We are still missing some Renegade Kid games over here :(

oh, apparently Wiimote aiming on the Wii U version is confimed:

4W0FLmu.png

catmario

I think canceling the 3DS version was caused by not support of unity engine on 3DS. Though early 3DS build was shown few months ago, but making both unity based version and 3DS version is too risky for Renegade kids.

Good choice, but very sad as 3DS users. :(

I really do hope that with whatever the successor to the 3DS is, it is alot more of an open and easy to develop for platform. I feel the difficulty on making games for the 3DS is at this stage really hurting it. Even though its the highest selling system at the moment its just not getting the amount software it should be. When someone like Jools starts saying its too hard to make a game for it, you have to start worrying.

wrowa

So, what are they going to do if the Kickstarter fails? Going back to 3DS? Still trying to make the console game?

The progress of the first day isn't encouraging at least (and I can't even say that I don't undstand people who aren't interested: both the mock up shot and the artwork on the page are plain ugly).

So, what are they going to do if the Kickstarter fails? Going back to 3DS? Still trying to make the console game?

The progress of the first day isn't encouraging at least (and I can't even say that I don't undstand people who aren't interested: both the mock up shot and the artwork on the page are plain ugly).

Jools said in an interview with Polygon that the game will be made even if the Kickstarter fails, only at a slower pace

mclem

I'm in two minds. On the one hand, I'm not inherently against making the game they want to make independent of the restrictions of the 3DS. On the other, though, I'm not convinced they're capable of putting together a game that actually benefits from the power of those systems; they never really struck me as developers who were chafing against the limitations, more developers who found that the limitations fit their capabilities. I'd be interested to see the pricetag they'd attach to that 'separate game entirely' on 3DS (Not the stretch goal value, the actual cost they'd estimate to implement it), although the story isn't complete without also having a handle on how much they themselves are putting into the core console/vita project.

I don't think I'll back it, but I'm perfectly happy to buy in should they prove me wrong down the line, and perhaps a bit more information could sway me.

mclem

Jools said in an interview with Polygon that the game will be made even if the Kickstarter fails, only at a slower pace

I assume the Kickstarter funds would go to hiring extra people to develop assets faster, but in the Kickstarter-failed version, what pays for the extra time spent in development?

I'd expect that to be more like "There'd be *a* game, but not as impressive as we're targetting", rather than "We'll get the same game later".

well, they still have a lot of projects besides Cult County. They are still working on Treasurenauts, Moon Chronicles and Mutant Mudds 2. They also do some contract work from time to time.

I assume they'll use the revenue from those games to found Cult County development.

Off course, if the kickstarter fails, i think Cult County development will be slowed A LOT

Ludist210

Kinda surprised they did this...Nintendo handhelds are their bread and butter. So to ignore them completely after this title was announced for the 3DS seems...odd.

I'll keep an eye on this. I don't have much money to throw around right now, but I like Renegade Kid. I'm just afraid they're asking for too much money and they won't get it.

prag16

Banned
Doesn't seem to be going all that well. Have they said anything about the fate of the game in the event the kickstarter fails?

Ridley327

Doesn't seem to be going all that well. Have they said anything about the fate of the game in the event the kickstarter fails?

IIRC, Jools had talked about seeking out a publisher to help finish the game, but that would of course come with a lot of stuff that they wouldn't necessarily want.

Jools sent out a message to backers asking about where they heard about the KS, and that they're working on getting a gameplay video out there ASAP.

3 posts above you

Renegade Kid Co-Founder Jools Watsham said:
"We will make Cult County regardless of what happens with the Kickstarter campaign," Watsham said. "It will take a lot longer for us to complete Cult County if the minimum goal is not reached, though."

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
He said they're going for slightly toon-shading and it looks awesome, I think. The textures are a bit muddy but this is pre-pre-alpha. Geometry seems fine. Really liking the slight cel shading, though. It's not totally in that style, but the dark outlines are striking.

mclem

The "gameplay" video is the same thing with the 3DS demo they had last year https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTB4ECm2zDo so i'm still not convinced why they decided to move away from the 3DS. Ok, it's running on Unity but still it's the same thing, and nothing that resembles gameplay, just wandering around the same setting.

To be fair, the scope changes may well not be reflected in a simple tech demo; it's quite possible that it's a scale thing, not a graphical thing, and a scale thing won't be represented until you actually build the thing to the scale that's required!

That said, I mentioned elsewhere: The release date is down as May 2015. If the release gets delayed - maybe the KS doesn't get funding, maybe it gets so well funded they increase the scope, maybe they just misjudged the development time - it strikes me that there's an absolutely realistic possibility it'll be out at a similar time to the 3DS's followup.

nikatapi

To be fair, the scope changes may well not be reflected in a simple tech demo; it's quite possible that it's a scale thing, not a graphical thing, and a scale thing won't be represented until you actually build the thing to the scale that's required!

Can't disagree with that, i thought about it as well, it just didn't really feel right in terms of the presentation.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Well, the game hasn't even been made yet. That's what the KS is for. Presumably there were design changes they want to implement that aren't possible easily on 3DS.

That said, they have said they'll do a 3DS version if there's enough interest, so it's possible but not cost-effective now that they're using Unity, which supports everything but 3DS.

Top Bottom