• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cult County (Renegade Kid) KS (Wii U, PS4, XO, PS3, Steam, Vita, no 3DS), 580k

jeffers

Ugh. Renegade Kid is all over the place with this project.

Dunno how people are meant to be confident in backing this with their management of this so far. think said in other thread about this, 9 days for any hint of gameplay, and a truely rubbish amount, is pretty bad.

mclem

I think the problem is that they have a rough idea of a vision for the project - a vision that's beyond the scope of previous projects they've produced - and there's nothing wrong with that... but then, they don't really have a reasonable idea on how to get enough money to reach that goal. The audience on those platforms is already well-served with content of that nature, and they're not really doing enough to make Cult County stand out against those products

I do think they'd have been smarter to limit their scope to the environment where their product can stand out... but that's a purely business consideration, and from an artistic point of view, I absolutely would love them to be set free to develop what they wish.

The situation, in a sense, has changed. They aren't being held back by the 3DS's hardware, not any more. Now they're being held back by the inability to sell that product to the audience they're making it for.

Hardware isn't the only constraint on production!

I'm curious if this is a bit of testing the water - they've said - and I've spoken elsewhere about - the idea that the game will still come, albeit slower, even if the KS fails. I wonder if they're reconsidering that in the light of the tepid response, because once they're investing their own resources into developing it, they have a worrying benchmark as to how much interest there is in the project.

I still think not developing for 3DS is the right choice, actually, despite that - there's still the year of development time lined up (and that's with a successful kickstarter - I wonder what the time constraints are on an unsuccessful one). By the time it's complete, the 3DS will be a very different development prospect than it is right now. There may well be a followup product on the cards, on top of that, one that more adequately fits the original vision.

Which does raise the question of what they should actually *do* right now. Produce a product with iffy support in the hopes that it'll catch on when it does finally make it to release - an extremely risky, company-endangering prospect, I suspect - but with a hope of picking up the 3DS-upgrading audience down the line (there's no way the 3DS's followup doesn't support Unity, not with Nintendo's long-term plans the way they are)? Stall with remakes? Mutant Mudds 2?

My gut feeling is that the smart choice is a prequel, on 3DS (and Vita, I think - you can probably get away with 3DS-quality assets there if handled carefully), allowing for the creation of some assets that can be used in a later project that matches the original vision. The prequel *should* be quicker to develop (and priced accordingly!), but allows the nurturing of an audience for the future project and ensures continuing income.

Main, real Cult County, matching the original vision? Leads on 4DS.

Mlatador

Banned
Backed for Wii U. I was interested in the game since the original 3DS announcment, but i'm happier now that it will come on more capable platforms (BTW there is still Moon Chronicles for my FPS fix on 3DS)

I was also really happy that they confirmed the EU release right away. We are still missing some Renegade Kid games over here :(

oh, apparently Wiimote aiming on the Wii U version is confimed:

4W0FLmu.png

Wiimote aiming is in??

Alright then!

Give it to me! \o/

Wiimote aiming is in??

Alright then!

Give it to me! \o/
Add about 4 zeroes to that pledge before the decimal point and you might have a shot, unfortunately. They should really cancel this KS, refocus the project and relaunch with a stronger directed campaign. I very much want this game to happen and want Renegade Kid to be able to control their IP's destiny, but they need to do some hard thinking regarding the amount of money they're asking for and their ability to drum up market interest.

Mrbob

That goal seems crazy for a team which hasn't really sold any PC games. Typically kickstarter games are from people with PC backgrounds. I'm guessing not many people have played Renegade Kid games due to most of them being on DS and 3DS. At least those who kickstart games. They need a bigger PC pedigree first.

mclem

I believe Mutant Mudds did okay on PC, but it's a bit of a jump to go from a 16-bit styled platformer to an episodic FPS, which is what the Renegade Kid story looks like from a PC-only user's point-of-view. It's like Team Meat announcing an intent to make a 3D character action game :)

(And that's PC-only folks. Console players have no such frame of reference for the company other than on Wii U, with the same issues as PC)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
My advice for a relaunched campaign would be:

- Get a big name on board. First one to come to mind is Akira Yamaoka for music. People know and love him from Silent Hill, which Cult County takes inspiration from. He's also (last I heard) a free agent and having his name on board gets some nice headlines.

- Find whatever way possible to get the goal lower. After the first week, Kicktraq had this trending towards a final tally of about $100k. I think with some tweaks, $200k might be doable, but ideally it'd be in the lower range of $100-200k. It's arrogant of me to sit here and go "Man, they should just ask for less!" since I don't know everything involved, however since Jools has said the game will get made anyways (just slower and maybe not as good), it seems like the money from any campaign will just help the process along. So a lower goal should be possible.

- Have gameplay footage there from the start. It's crucial even in super small gaming Kickstarters. They seem to have recognized this, which is good. However, given a relaunch, there should ideally be more footage showing off more content and some actual basic gameplay and/or character interactions (since this game is highly focused on story.) Two areas and a short cutscene would be my personal advice.

- Restrict the amount of platforms. I know "using Unity" makes it "easy," but I think it might distract a little from the campaign to have everything under the sun. Make it for the current gen of consoles (PS4, Xbone, Wii U) and Windows and you cover just about everyone. OSX and Linux, sadly (to me since I use them more than Windows) should be stretch goals. And on that note, 3DS and 360 should be defined stretch goals from the start. Nobody likes a "maybe" and having their favorite platform up in the air. People should know what they're getting into.

These four points are massive, don't misunderstand. They go beyond some simple tweaks. But Kickstarter isn't a sure-thing in the best of circumstances (that Matsuno RPG campaign had to change a LOT just to limp to their initial goal.) Having as many things right from the start will certainly help, though.

That's a lot of money being asked for given that they are a relatively unknown developer. I don't foresee such a rapid increase in funding that would get them the remaining 93% of what they're asking for in only 16 days given that the campaign is reaching its halfway point, time-wise.

There's nothing compelling enough (in any aspect of the campaign, really) that would bring in the draw they need.

I'm gonna keep an eye on this, looks good visually (something RK is good at) and I'm glad its coming even if the KS fails.

Ive been meaning to give the Dementiums another look (could'nt manage with the controls), are the PC remakes any good? (i think someone else did them)

zroid

Banned
I think maybe if RK had started with the 3DS version and then have additional platforms as stretch goals, it would've worked out better. Not necessarily get funded, but not a flop at least. :(

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Update #9: Nintendo 3DS!

Howdy Cultists!!

We have a little treat for the Nintendo handheld fans out there.

NINTENDO 3DS IS IN THE HOUSE!

You spoke. We listened. You want Nintendo 3DS as an option for Cult County? You got it!

4a6091a7d920c280837ec33414a051c8_large.jpg

We sent the call out on twitter, and we got a tremendous response. 248 retweets and 47 favorites later we hear you loud and clear.

If the minimum funded goal of $580,000 is reached, you will be able to choose the Nintendo 3DS as your platform of choice for your download code.

5b6c4f1d94b0066e26996fb7b004af79_large.jpg

WANT EXTRA COPIES?

Some Cultists have asked us if they can somehow add extra copies of the game to their pledge!

Absolutely! Once you've selected your reward tier, you will see a text field where you can enter your total pledge amount. For each additional download code, please add $20 to your pledge amount. Additional copies can be for any available platform of your choice.

Thank you for your amazing support! Please continue to spread the word of Cult County. We have an uphill battle to reach our goal, but miracles can happen! :)

CamHostage

My gut feeling is that the smart choice is a prequel, on 3DS (and Vita, I think - you can probably get away with 3DS-quality assets there if handled carefully), allowing for the creation of some assets that can be used in a later project that matches the original vision. The prequel *should* be quicker to develop (and priced accordingly!), but allows the nurturing of an audience for the future project and ensures continuing income.

I like this idea a lot, but unfortunately if you read the product description for Cult County, it seems like a real tough project to form a prequel around since it sets a distinct timeline and set of mysteries that the original game depends on. If you introduce anything of the main game in a prequel, I'm not sure how the mystery would stand in the final product. It's generally some type of Silent Hill-type game and so sequels and maybe eventually prequels could exist, but if you learn anything about the cult now, how will they retain their mystery later on?

Main, real Cult County, matching the original vision? Leads on 4DS.

Cult County is already episodic though, which seems like a good way to create limited "stages" for the first episode, then gradually expand in subsequent ones depending on financial success. Still, it looks like a KS relaunch is in order, with considerations similar to Andrex's points to be made.

My advice for a relaunched campaign would be:

- Get a big name on board. First one to come to mind is Akira Yamaoka for music. People know and love him from Silent Hill, which Cult County takes inspiration from. He's also (last I heard) a free agent and having his name on board gets some nice headlines.

He's been the music guy for Grasshopper Manufacture since Shadows of the Dammed in 2011.

Oregano

I feel bad for being so cynical but they definitely wouldn't have bothered if the kickstarter was going well and it seems like a desperate attempt to get 3DS owners to fund the game for other systems. They said the game will be made regardless but I guarantee the 3DS will be dropped if so.

Too late. Really, they have to relaunch that campaign, but this time, have a gameplay video. And not the 10 minutes made in Unity one where nothing happens.

You have to show people what the game will be about. I mean not only they're asking so much, but also showing so few...

With the episodic nature of the game, a great idea would be developp a short, kickstarter exclusive, prologue for those who back the game.

impact

Banned
Cult County has grown beyond the scope of the 3DS, and we do not want to compromise our vision for the game.

So they've compromised their vision of the game now? Guess I'm not backing, not like it really matters at this point anyway.

Hale-XF11

This is where I am baffled with the idea of making a platform a stretch goal. If I want the game on 3DS, I have to fund the game on the other platforms first? And without guarantee that I'd get the game on the platform that I want to play it on? I just don't see the incentive to participate.

Frazley

This is where I am baffled with the idea of making a platform a stretch goal. If I want the game on 3DS, I have to fund the game on the other platforms first? And without guarantee that I'd get the game on the platform that I want to play it on? I just don't see the incentive to participate.
I have left quite a few kickstarters because of this.

Portugeezer

You can always remove your pledge before it ends, so you can pledge then see if it will make the extra platform goal or not.

nikatapi

This campaign i think was not managed very well, they were trying to create some hype even before the reveal, only to show some screenshots and alienate a big part of potential buyers (3DS owners) saying that they wouldn't want to compromise their vision. Yet they added 3DS just because they don't seem to get even close to their goal.

Also, the so called "gameplay" video is almost identical to the 3DS demo, so nothing exciting, only wandering around a church with some dusty wind blowing. Kind of underwhelming.

I feel like they were unprepared for this campaign, it seemed unfocused and all over the place from the beginning. Hopefully they'll make a good game anyway, and learn how to use crowdfunding properly for another title.

Sucks for the developers, but I'm kind of glad to see that people aren't just throwing money at concept art and promises anymore.

It does scare me a bit about my projects future kickstarter but then again, I've been working for years making the game part time because I don't believe in taking money with empty promises and fake media.

Honestly I don't see why people back projects that don't have gameplay footage. Promises are easy to make but hard to keep. Developers who are really passionate about their projects will make it happen one way or the other. Maybe they thought their past success would carry them farther? Perhaps a year ago, but I think KS backers have gotten screwed over/over-saturated and it takes more than talk to get people onboard.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
The topic title should be changed since the 3DS has been included

not that it'll change the outcome now though.

BooJoh

Funds have been tight, but I saw a couple Early Adopter slots had opened up and went ahead and pledged. It's a shame this won't get funded though. Renegade Kid seem like they could really make some waves as a dev if they could get more publicity and recognition.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Kickstarter ends in less than two days with 8% funding. They went way too ambitious on this project. Should've just stuck to a single game on the 3DS.

Makes me a bit worried about the success of Moon Chronicles. It's hard to do episodic gaming well in general, especially on handhelds.

Top Bottom