• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cult of Mac: Our Sources Say Apple Is Developing A Video Game Console

Durante

Let me tell you what is going to happen.

The television itself will be designed by Apple to allow for everything to be done without having to have lots of other boxes connected and sitting underneath. Tv programmes, films and music will be available in a similar way to the Apple TV device, albeit improved.

With regards to gaming, they will allow access to the app store via the tv, with existing applications able to run as is. This will form the the part of the gaming experience handled directly by Apple, nothing more. You will, of course, need to purchase an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad and link it up to be able the play the games as the primary tv interface will be using Siri.

Where valve will be involved is in the form of a 'premium' games provider, accessible as an application like any other. They will allow people to play more traditional games via steam but allowing it will be the extent of Apples involvement. They will also allow valve to link up a more traditional controller to play these games, but this will be designed and sold by valve, not apple.
This doesn't really make all that much sense to me. To enable this model, the hypothetical Apple TV would have to include somewhat high-end PC hardware, exclusively for the "premium" games, while all the other functionality could be handled easily by one low-cost ARM SoC. Is that really worth it for Apple?

He also said that the PS3 was a disgrace and that Valve would never touch it again after The Orange Box debacle.

He also said that Apple weren't doing shit for gaming and his products wouldn't ever end up on the Mac.

Etc.

Etc.

Yup. It's just a way of applying pressure on someone to change their ways.

Quasar

This doesn't really make all that much sense to me. To enable this model, the hypothetical Apple TV would have to include somewhat high-end PC hardware, exclusively for the "premium" games, while all the other functionality could be handled easily by one low-cost ARM SoC. Is that really worth it for Apple?

There is always streaming for that.

Mario007

But it's not as good as the Vita or new iPad's GPU. And it can't be upgraded by an accessory, unlike your issues with SD readers and HDMI.

I'm sorry but are you compare Tegra 3, a CPU with Apple's GPU? There's a reason why there's a different letter before the 'PU' part...

AHA-Lambda

I'm surprised it needs a box if true I thought the TV would act like a giant iOS iMac and the TV would do it all.

Nevertheless when apple releases its own smart tv and can run apps natively through it...

MOTHER OF GOD...

s_mirage

Good. More competition, the better.

Oh yeah? Is increasing development costs/risk even further, when they are already at a hazardous level, a good thing? There is only so much money that consumers are willing to spend on video games, especially given the current financial climate, so it is anything but a given that the creation of more competition will grow the market.

Just my opinion but I can't see this being another iphone. Video games consoles just don't seem to be the fashion accessories that mobile phones/fancy tablets are.

scitek

Oh yeah? Is increasing development costs/risk even further, when they are already at a hazardous level, a good thing? There is only so much money that consumers are willing to spend on video games, especially given the current financial climate, so it is anything but a given that the creation of more competition will grow the market.

Just my opinion but I can't see this being another iphone. Video games consoles just don't seem to be the fashion accessories that mobile phones/fancy tablets are.

Yes, if it leads to a crash, that wouldn't be a bad thing at this point. The development model needs restructuring from the ground up.

Kusagari

There is only one thing that makes me pause and wonder if Apple can have success in the video game industry.

All of there most successful products are insanely portable.

iPods, iPhones, iPads, MacBooks.

All of those are portable and easy to bring anywhere because of their design.

A console is out of this element, as is the rumored television.

Mario007

Are you aware that the Tegra 3 like the A5X are SoC? Which means they include both the CPU and GPU.

I am, but comparing like for like should be the case. Obviously both CPUs come with their own GPUs but simply saying that Tegra 3 is not as poweful as the new iPad GPU is not comparing like for like.

Jhriad

So how much is this television going to cost? $1999 with new revisions every 2 years to keep the price at the same level. Calling it now. (Unless it's an Apple TV puck, in which case it'll be $599 w/ larger HDD options going up to $799)

yay, because I would just love to buy my video games from itunes.

Ugh. Somehow I didn't even think of this.

deeno.gif

Google/Sony partnership

I'd buy that console. It'd also be amusing that the competitors would be Apple v. Microsoft v. Google v. Nintendo. One of these things is not like the others.

4. Both companies enjoy success and money.

Until Apple cuts Valve out of the loop in the second generation of hardware because they want to push iTunes/Game Center.

rezuth

I am, but comparing like for like should be the case. Obviously both CPUs come with their own GPUs but simply saying that Tegra 3 is not as poweful as the new iPad GPU is not comparing like for like.

But you do realize that we are discussing gaming, right? Which one would be more powerful for gaming as that is what the whole discussion is about.

Kusagari

How much were sold in 2006? I'm not an expert on console sales but 26 million sounds about right to me.

The PS2 was on its last legs, GCN and Xbox were nonexistent, the 360 wasn't setting the world on fire and the Wii/PS3 only launched at the end.

It sounds completely believable to me as a figure. I only wonder if he was including GBA/PSP/DS in that or not.

I'm really curious to know how their Apple TV plans are going to work.

With HDTV market penetration the way it is, why would anyone upgrade their entire TV sets just to be able to download games and use iOS on their big screen?

Apple is notorious for making their own hardware and controlling it, but in this arena, can they even see success?

Do people really need/want iOS functionality on their TV when they already have it on their iPads and Phones? I think the answer to this question is YES, but not at the price of replacing a perfectly working TV.

Is Apple going to introduce a console-like device with motion control functionality that turns their already existing TV into an iOS platform? Could work, but would go against Apple's philosophy of complete control over their hardware.

A device like this isn't going to be cutting edge, but it's going to be powerful enough for a lot of folks. It will also get yearly updates, improving the quality just like the iPad, and offering full backwards compatibility each year. Eventually it probably could compete with consoles very quickly, and in that scenario the whole "10 year lifecycle" for console updates could be thrown upside down.

Short term, this will hurt Nintendo more than anyone else, but long-term this could certainly throw a dagger into Sony and Microsoft's long-term profitability and viability of their platforms, if successful. Three years after Sony/Microsoft launch their consoles, Apple will probably be able to provide tech that matches or exceeds what's in these systems.

Imagine a world where everyone just plays the next call of duty or assassin's creed on their AppleTV rather than on their consoles? The only thing left for Sony/Microsoft would be their exclusives, and that's not a strong enough part of their business to be sustainable.

This is pretty scary, imho, because the console makers having strong exclusive lineups and supporting an industry that produces AAA content is the main reason I play videogames. The ecosystem for this could be shattered if Apple enters and dominates the market.

Well that's the question, would they change? I don't see how you can have a game console and it not be a closed platform.

I really don't know if they would change, I guess it depends on how pivotal they think that hardcore games are for an all-out assault on the living room space. Still, there are too many questions that cast serious doubts on this rumour.

Mario007

How much were sold in 2006? I'm not an expert on console sales but 26 million sounds about right to me.

Considering, X360 which launched in 2005 sold around 7-10 mil units in its first year (if I remember correctly) the number is absurdly low. You also have the DS which started selling around 15-20 millions per year after the first 2 years of its life (DS was launched in 2004). Add to that you still had ps2 which was a beast (and even now sells 6 million units a year), PS3 and Wii launch that year and PSP still being relevant. No way only 26 million units of all consoles were sold.

I mean in the last year Xbox360 and PS3 together sell around 29 million units altogether.

But you do realize that we are discussing gaming, right? Which one would be more powerful for gaming as that is what the whole discussion is about.

I get your point, I was simply pointing out that you can't compare a CPU to GPU. Also a powerful enough CPU could help a shitty GPU (case in point: PS3).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yup. It's just a way of applying pressure on someone to change their ways.

The situation with the PS3 is perhaps the purest example of the "things happen because people want them to" culture at Valve. The only reason Portal 2 PS3 came to fruition is because a few programmers began porting Source to the PS3 as a pet project and it soon gained traction, to the point that Valve even hired now-ex-Naughty Dogs.

Jhriad

What if the games were streamed just like what the Apple TV does with shows and movies? Like Apple's version of OnLive but with Valve's Library?

Say goodbye to fighting games and hello to laggy shooters. Gotta assume there'll be some lag introduced in what'll almost assuredly be a wireless controller or even worse, motion controls.

Bumhead

Banned
There is only one thing that makes me pause and wonder if Apple can have success in the video game industry.

All of there most successful products are insanely portable.

iPods, iPhones, iPads, MacBooks.

All of those are portable and easy to bring anywhere because of their design.

A console is out of this element, as is the rumored television.

True.

But, maybe there's a lot to be said for "completing" the ecosystem by creating THE go-to hub for people's living rooms. Something (much) cheaper than an iMac.

Apple will be aware that lots and lots of people use their products on the go, but break away from Apple products for other aspects of their entertainment lives, such as to play games or access music and video on Microsoft or Sony hardware. If Apple think they could shove those boxes out of the way in favour of their own hardware that delivers all that stuff at home, therefore essentially completing a loop where people theoretically never need to "leave" Apple's ecosystem..

scitek

Is Apple any different since Steve Jobs has passed? I mean, are they showing signs of doing things he probably never would have?

mr stroke

I dont believe it.

How are they going to do a "kinect like system" when everybody hates it, and MS prolly owns all the patents?

Beyond that, it would be a failure anyway since it sounds like a weak piece of crap.

Apple has never been a fit for the games business: Cornerstones of (core, console) gaming:

Lots of hardware losses, razor/blade model, hot, noisy, powerful hardware. Appealing to the younger male demographic.

Apple hates all of those things. Apple doesn't sell hardware they arent making a huge profit on, which is impossible if you want to play in the traditional console space. They also appeal to women first/

+1

numble

Considering, X360 which launched in 2005 sold around 7-10 mil units in its first year (if I remember correctly) the number is absurdly low. You also have the DS which started selling around 15-20 millions per year after the first 2 years of its life (DS was launched in 2004). Add to that you still had ps2 which was a beast (and even now sells 6 million units a year), PS3 and Wii launch that year and PSP still being relevant. No way only 26 million units of all consoles were sold.
Handhelds are not considered game consoles.
Sony launched the PS3 in November of 2006 and sold less than a million units that year (because of supply constraints).

I get your point, I was simply pointing out that you can't compare a CPU to GPU. Also a powerful enough CPU could help a shitty GPU (case in point: PS3).
I was comparing the Tegra 3 GPU to the iPad's GPU.

ElRenoRaven

Um yea. Not going to buy it unless it's cheap as hell and has a lot of support and drops the kinect wannabe shit. I see neither of those things happening either.

I could definitely see Apple making a bid for the living room/TV room because they know that MS and Sony will be keen to emulate certain parts of their setup. So, that leaves little time left to get there first and take a shot at being the first legit big screen marketplace. If they don't, it's going to be crowded with MS and Sony offering the same range of DD products and services...possibly even gaining leverage over Apple in their dealings with content providers due to marketshare and just have an actual working and popular product.

Orayn

If the TV set has a Retina display, that could attract the hardcore gamers.

I haven't done the math, but a 1080P display of proper size, from typical usage distances, may qualify as "Retina." It's just about dot pitch, not any magical Apple technology.

Solid07

Banned
Maybe Apple is collaborating with Steam on this one?

Either way, I'm even more intrigued to see how next-gen will turn out.

Nintendo can be sustained by their IPs.

GameCube era was the last time Nintendo was sustained by core IP holdings, and that was a pretty unsuccessful time for Nintendo.

Nintendo's success with the Wii mostly came from new IPs in the casual space. This sector is where Apple would dominate with cheaper content.

Nintendo absolutely has the most to lose from an Apple branded console in the marketplace. We've already seen Nintendo's success with handhelds being seriously compromised thanks to the iPhone.

Microsoft is next in line for the company having the most to lose. If AppleTV offers Kinect-like functionality, Microsoft can kiss their blue ocean strategy on that front good bye. Apple will one up them with iOS and Siri compatibility, along with a cheaper market place for games with more content. Further, Microsoft's biggest markets are US and UK, and they can quickly see some of that market share eroded by Apple's presence. Sony is a more global console company and doesn't rely just on two big markets for success.

Microsoft and Sony compete mostly on AAA caliber productions, the likes of which take years to develop by hundreds of developers and can cost hundreds of millions of dollars to produce for a single game. This isn't the market Apple will be targeting, but it can probably reach some level of support from third parties once the AppleTV becomes powerful enough. Sony will be the least impacted by Apple entering the market, IMHO.

Top Bottom