• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cult of Mac: Our Sources Say Apple Is Developing A Video Game Console

Why would Apple want to enter the money pit none as gaming? Consoles, if it would be one, are a whole different ballgame. They would have to have to a physical drive as there is no way it would survive without one yet. They then enter a new world where Gamestop puts pressure on their neck. They would have to deal with used games...

Basically, a myriad amount of stuff they controlled before would be taken out of their hands. They would have to also sell as a loss or risk becoming a joke of a system when it comes to price.

I can't see it. But it would wonderful if the drama unfolded at E3 sine I'm going this year. =D
No they wouldn't and yes it would.

1. Valve disagree with Apple's strategy of a walled garden software environment.

2. Valve willing to work on hardware development to guarantee software environment they want with controller innovations suited the sort of games they want to make.

3. Apple long rumoured to be working on Apple TV with gaming content using party game friendly kinect style gizmo and Apple store like environment.

4. ???

5. Ideal hardware partner for Valve is Apple.

Whatever.

Hero

I don't see this coming to fruition, apple's design philosophy is so drastically different from video game systems it wouldn't be a good match. Not to mention apple has no developers they would have to rely entirely on third parties and i don't have the faith that it wouldnt just be another app store race to the bottom.

Why is Microsoft or Sony declared a fool if they would, but Apple can suddenly do it? There is a huge difference between buying a $5 game in the App Store and getting a $60 game for your console.
I don't know why they're declared fools. I wouldn't declare them fools though.

You're right though, there is a difference. Without physical media there would have to be a change in terms of the types of games being sold. I don't see why that would hurt them though.

Joni

If Apple's jumping in, would Google be far behind? Would a Google/Sony or Google/Nintendo partnership be feasible?

Google/Sony yes, Google/Nintendo no. Nintendo always worked better alone while Sony won't say no to the money backing of a giant like Google.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
consoles are still uncool in the eyes of the masses so Apple will not commit.

Right because smartphones were MONSTROUSLY cool before iPhone.

I see this (potentially) going the same way as iPhone, in fact. Phone debuts, 'tech experts' complain that 'it doesn't do anything my horrible looking completely unintuitive Windows Phone doesn't already do, megaflop incoming Apple have no idea what they're doing', but then instead it explodes and virtually singlehandedly creates a market that didn't exist before because the market the existing smartphones were fighting over was never where the (really) big bucks were to be made.

Like I say, it's a possibility though, not a prediction.

rezuth

1. Valve disagree with Apple's strategy of a walled garden software environment.

2. Valve willing to work on hardware development to guarantee software environment they want with controller innovations suited the sort of games they want to make.

3. Apple long rumoured to be working on Apple TV with gaming content using party game friendly kinect style gizmo and Apple store like environment.

4. ???

okays.

So that is why there are no Valve games for Xbox360 and PS3... Oh, wait...

Come on son! Disliking something is not going to stop them from supporting it if they see money in it.

You mean the highest specced machine available for the money? Why would that be a bad thing?

I won't deny the iPad has some nice tech but when you compare it to other tablets e.g. Android ones you have to also consider that iPad doesn't have things such as SD card slot, HDMI out etc. Both those are important to a lot of people.

So that is why there are no Valve games for Xbox360 and PS3... Oh, wait...

Come on son! Disliking something is not going to stop them from supporting it if they see money in it.

1. I want to make money.
2. I will release games also on consoles since people insist on playing games on them.

logical series of events.

1. I want to support open platforms with competing stores.
2. In order to do that I'm prepared to get involved at some level with hardware since that is the trend if you want to have a say.
3. The people who are best at that are people make the most trendy closed platform so it makes the most sense to work with them as a junior partner.

illogical series of events.

numble

I won't deny the iPad has some nice tech but when you compare it to other tablets e.g. Android ones you have to also consider that iPad doesn't have things such as SD card slot, HDMI out etc. Both those are important to a lot of people.

You can buy dongles to connect accessories for SD readers or HDMI cables if you need it. For an Android tablet, you cannot buy a dongle to add a Hi-DPI screen or a better GPU. Both those are important to a lot of people. Especially gamers.

Yeah. And really I would not see them as competing with the hardcore gaming console niche.

Hmm... if the rumors of Tim Cook at Valve are true, then that's the plan. They already have a strong reputation with casual gaming crowds with iOS. So in order to build a reputation with hard core gamers, they strike a partnership with Valve. Who better than Valve to advise them on that market?

This sounds like it will just be PC like architecture inside of a TV that will allow them to play games off of steam or something. Or their App store.

Zeth

It does kinda seem like a no-brainer for Apple to put an iPad-like chipset in their TV, and that would open up a ton of possibilities.

Quasar

Hmm... if the rumors of Tim Cook at Valve are true, then that's the plan. They already have a strong reputation with casual gaming crowds with iOS. So in order to build a reputation with hard core gamers, they strike a partnership with Valve. Who better than Valve to advise them on that market?

I think there is a difference between convincing valve to develop/port games for ios and developing hardware that stands toe to toe with the PS4, etc.

But it's not as good as the Vita or new iPad's GPU.

According to a number of sources Tegra 3 beats it...

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/new-ipad-3-a5x-vs-tegra-3-video-19-03-2012/

“the quad-core Tegra 3 blew its competitor way as it achieved an overall score of 1,571 to the A5X’s 692. On the integer (1391 to 614), floating point (2408 to 825) and memory subtests (1076 to 784), the Tegra 3 dominated, but the A5X bested it by a small margin of 324 to 266 on the stream subtest.”

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I think they could easily kill the Kinect 2.0 (and xb720 if it relies on it heavily) if they had simple games that could be played directly on the Apple HDTV.

Mario007

And if that picture is claiming 957 million cell phone units were sold in 2006... I really doubt about 1/7 of the world bought a phone in 2006. lol

Haha yeah, didn't even notice that. Just shows how much of a liar Mr Jobs really was. I wish people wouldn't get always fooled by gentleman such as him and that the media would also have the balls to stand up these type of people and call them on their bullshit.

Durante

I hope this doesn't happen for two reasons:
- Apple's "walled garden" philosophy of vertically integrated products is diametrically opposed to what I consider a healthy environement for gaming (or anything really). You think Microsoft (and now Sony) are milking you on accessories? You ain't seen nothing yet.
- Apple fanatics are the singularly most annoying group of people I've had the displeasure to interact with on the internet. Obviously there are exceptions, but that's the general experience I've had. That this rumour comes from a site called "Cult of Mac" seems entirely appropriate.

Our sources also say that Apple’s television set will come with an Apple-branded, Kinect-like video game console. The interface will rely heavily on motion and touch controls.

Innovation that only Apple can provide. :/

scitek

I hope this doesn't happen for two reasons:
- Apple's "walled garden" philosophy of vertically integrated products is diametrically opposed to what I consider a healthy environement for gaming (or anything really). You think Microsoft (and now Sony) are milking you on accessories? You ain't seen nothing yet.
- Apple fanatics are the singularly most annoying group of people I've had the displeasure to interact with on the internet. Obviously there are exceptions, but that's the general experience I've had. That this rumour comes from a site called "Cult of Mac" seems entirely appropriate.

This is what doesn't make sense about this rumor to me. Gabe said himself just a few months ago that he thinks the closed platform Apple runs isn't healthy for the industry. He named them specifically.

Cheebo

Banned
Haha yeah, didn't even notice that. Just shows how much of a liar Mr Jobs really was. I wish people wouldn't get always fooled by gentleman such as him and that the media would also have the balls to stand up these type of people and call them on their bullshit.

Maybe do some research before calling someone a liar?

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/21622.php
The worldwide mobile phone market reached a new milestone at the close of 2006, with more than one billion units shipped worldwide over the year. According to IDC, vendors shipped a total of 1.019 billion units in 2006, or 22.5% more than the 832.8 million units they shipped in 2005. For the quarter ending December 31, 2006, vendors shipped a total of 294.9 million units, or 19.7% more than the 246.4 million units they shipped during 4Q05.

IDG is the go to source on sales of devices such as mobile phones.

rezuth

45199.png

45200.png

45207.png

45209.png

45208.png

Let me tell you what is going to happen.

The television itself will be designed by Apple to allow for everything to be done without having to have lots of other boxes connected and sitting underneath. Tv programmes, films and music will be available in a similar way to the Apple TV device, albeit improved.

With regards to gaming, they will allow access to the app store via the tv, with existing applications able to run as is. This will form the the part of the gaming experience handled directly by Apple, nothing more. You will, of course, need to purchase an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad and link it up to be able the play the games as the primary tv interface will be using Siri.

Where valve will be involved is in the form of a 'premium' games provider, accessible as an application like any other. They will allow people to play more traditional games via steam but allowing it will be the extent of Apples involvement. They will also allow valve to link up a more traditional controller to play these games, but this will be designed and sold by valve, not apple.

Burai

shitonmychest57
This is what doesn't make sense about this rumor to me. Gabe said himself just a few months ago that he thinks the closed platform Apple runs isn't healthy for the industry. He named them specifically.

He also said that the PS3 was a disgrace and that Valve would never touch it again after The Orange Box debacle.

He also said that Apple weren't doing shit for gaming and his products wouldn't ever end up on the Mac.

Etc.

Etc.

4. ???

Whatever.

4. Both companies enjoy success and money.

Zeth

A quick google shows the numbers to be accurate. Edit: beaten by Cheebo on last page.

Top Bottom