• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead E3 Trailer (XB1, PC)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Congrats on being #35 in the E3 Best Games of 2014 GAF thread! Ahead of Forza Horizon, Mario Maker, Last of Us and Call of Duty! :D

Oh me, oh my!!

I'm a fan of old 1930s styled cartoons. Was raised on Popeye and Betty Boop & Bimbo(not original run, mind you)! It's an underused "style", IMO, that I'd love to see used more, so games like this are a breath of fresh air!! It was also why I supported the Fleish and Cherry game. The style is the roots of all cartoons, and perhaps even popular game characters, as Mario and Sonic both take inspiration from that classic style(classic Jumpman Mario even has a really squinty-eyed look, sorta Popeye-esque(well, Donkey Kong was a result of the Popeye license falling through).

But yeah, bravo!

All my non-gaming friends were hyping this up on Facebook today. Apparently I may be close to one of the developers by proxy. I think a bunch of my friends are friends with one of the developers anyway.

I think it looks amazing.

Here's a big article about Cuphead, and the dev team MDHR. Pretty interesting read on the process of finding the right thematic style and a lot more info on the gameplay.

http://readretro.com/previews/cuphead-first-look/

Fantastic preview.

Aside from us trying to make sure the boss fights are as original as we can make them (even thinking outside of the “run and gun” rules). Certain features like our super or parry system will set the game apart from the others. We aren’t trying to completely re-imagining the genre, but these new ideas will open up a universe of unexplored ideas, guaranteeing a new experience for fans. These are integral to every aspect of the game, we are not adding things that only get used in rare circumstances.”

The parry system mentioned sees enemies attack with pink colored shots. Only these bullets can be parried, and successfully doing so will help to fill up the character’s respective super meter (reminiscent of the Radiant Sword weapon in Radiant Silvergun), interestingly, this allows novice players to tackle the game with a more defensive stance, whilst the pros can utilize the system to effectively speed through the game. In order to ensure that Cuphead features a fairly steady difficulty curve, stages will avoid requiring immediate use of this mechanic, but eventually, player’s will be confronted by bosses that can be bested only by those that bring the parry system into play.

Like Treasure’s wonderful, Gunstar Heroes, the team are keen to implement a strong sense of variety into the proceedings in order to avoid the game from ever feeling stale, and the traditional left to right gameplay of the platform shooter becoming overused. To this end, levels will add varying degrees of verticality, shirk the shooting aspects and delve more into the realm of the traditional platformer, or throw in one-off set-pieces designed to mix up the gameplay entirely.

An example that the studio gave to us was that the player will be confronted with shmup levels – and one of the abilities will be to shrink and gain increased movement speed (but lose the ability to fire weapons), giving them the chance to better dodge incoming projectiles. It certainly all sounds rather interesting, though undoubtedly, some players may already be shrinking away from what might sound like a cruel, and unforgiving difficulty level, but the team has also made some moves to ensure that Cuphead will be accessible to all gamers, and yet still exciting enough for those demand the highest level of challenge from their games. Cuphead will provide gamers infinite lives from the start of the game, allowing Studio MDHR to ramp up the difficulty, but without making the experience too frustrating for the more novice player, though in addition, the team have promised to feature some of the most challenging optional levels in the history of the genre, as well as an entire game mode targeted for the most masochistic of gamers. Inevitably, Cuphead will not only be accessible by all, but it will surely offer something for everyone.

“The core of the story is that Cuphead finds himself in trouble after gambling on a Jan–ken-pon match with the devil. Betting well outside his means he only has one option left: to win the most valued prize: “one wish granted by the Wizard King” at the grand tournament. With the aid of his pal, Mugman, they must use their wit and weaponry (magic gloves!) to stand a chance of persevering or the devil will claim his head!”

“The story telling is kept simple, reminiscent of 16-bit games. Cutscenes will tell the main story and there will be NPCs throughout the map to give hints, minor story elements, and flesh out the theme of the world. We both prefer to have less story and more gameplay. Take Super Mario Bros. 3 for example. It wouldn’t benefit from an hour of cutscenes and forty pages of text. The experience becomes burdened by taking away too much time from what counts – the progression of gameplay.”

Lawd!

KooopaKid

Banned
I found it strange we have seen only 20 seconds clips. The game has probaly a long way to go. How big is the team? To have this level of animation in an entire game will require a lot of work. I have the feeling this game will take a long time coming :-(

statham

I found it strange we have seen only 20 seconds clips. The game has probaly a long way to go. How big is the team? To have this level of animation in an entire game will require a lot of work. I have the feeling this game will take a long time coming :-(

It is a 2015 game.

The article mentions they're a 4 person team.

KooopaKid

Banned
The article mentions they're a 4 person team.

4 only? Woah! No Man's Sky and now this, both having a very good buzz at E3 and both made by very small teams. Impressive. I prefer to forget about this game for the time being, I don't want to be sad when it doesn't make 2015 :( Fingers crossed, 1 year and a half is a lot of time!

4 only? Woah! No Man's Sky and now this, both having a very good buzz at E3 and both made by very small teams. Impressive. I prefer to forget about this game for the time being, I don't want to be sad when it doesn't make 2015 :( Fingers crossed, 1 year and a half is a lot of time!

It's been in development since 2013.

http://studiomdhr.com/what-kind-of-game-is-cuphead/

I'm sure they'll make 2015.

SOH6P8J.gif

Top Bottom