• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead |OT| 2 Cups 1 Screen

Izuna

Banned
How many items you need to buy to "unlock" charge shot on the shop?

I have 13 coins and only have bought the extra heart, invisible dash and the spread shot.

On world 3 have only defeated that Brutus ship boss.

I think you need to buy 3 weapons then it shows up.

Weapons and Charms appear as you buy the previous ones separately.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
What's behind that OT title? I'd like to see a thread dedicated to explaining what is behind some of these titles for those of us who don't understand.

Ravelle

Agreed.

The is a sexually explicit and disgusting viral video from 10-12 years ago. I would highly recommend not trying to search for it.

It was actually a hard to find video a while back but it seems people did their best to make it the number one search result now. The website also has popup ads so I would advise against clicking on it besides obvious reasons.
Googling it seems harmless because it's only old memes and old reaction videos.

Everyone talked about it in college.

Skittles

Have they talked about patching the matchstick fight? Right now his bubble projectiles in the last phase stay on screen for a little even after they pop into the 4 way shot.

Just had the game glitch on the Robot and he stayed in his disembodied head phase(where he flies back and forth) until I killed him. Made it super easy lol. Not that miffed about skipping the last phase since I was one shot off killing him on a previous run. Last phase isn't even hard if you played any kind of shump semi-seriously

DrDogg

Having gone through to get an A+ on every boss, I can say that the only boss I really got frustrated with was the
mermaid
boss. Beating the boss was easy enough (I didn't have any trouble "beating" any bosses), but getting an A+ on that boss felt more random than skill-based.

Sometimes you'd get 3-4 opportunities to parry, but more often than not you'd only get 2 opportunities, or sometimes you wouldn't even get any parry opportunities. Extremely frustrating to get through that phase of the boss only to get 0-2 parry opportunities and have to retry even though I hadn't been hit yet.

This is the one boss I would say needs adjustment.

Izuna

Banned
I think there is a bug in the last fight.

When the first phase does the snake move and you retreat to the left corner... Attacking too soon or taking a tiny step forward gets me hit.

It's really strange and feels like a complete bug. Maybe the hitbox is borked? I don't know, I don't think it is the little demons. It happens even if they are going the other way.

Otherwise, I feel like the blip stages aren't done too well. They feel unsatisfying and much longer than other fights.

If there is a sequel, I would suggest to improve these levels. They feel quite lame in comparison to any horizontal or vertical SHUMP I played way back. Art is fantastic, of course, but the game play in those fights just don't hold up.

Arkanius

Wow the devil was easy. The robot gave me more trouble.

Fairly trivial once you know you can duck in the first stage. Charge shot is OP as well

KLonso

This game has me intrigued, and I just found out that it's Canadian-developed so I want to support it out, but there's just one problem: I'm not really very good at games. Can I still have fun with this title?

jholmes

The Ceramic Strike achievement is definitely messed up. Couldn't get it to pop with the spread or lobber specials, worked with the default peashooter though.

Need to beat the hardest bosses on expert before they nerf shit. No one boss stands out at the moment so who are they?

When people say robot do they mean the flight one with mad scientist ?

jholmes

Need to beat the hardest bosses on expert before they nerf shit. No one boss stands out at the moment so who are they?

When people say robot do they mean the flight one with mad scientist ?

Yeah, and I don't think the shmup levels will be affected. I dunno, I feel like the charge absolutely wrecks the Bluto pirate boss, maybe aim for that?

DrDogg

I dunno, I feel like the charge absolutely wrecks the Bluto pirate boss, maybe aim for that?

Yeah, I feel like it's very difficult to get an A+ time (under 2 min) with the default weapon, but with the Charge you can get 1 min or less if you're trying to speed run.

For the most part you can A+ every boss (at least on regular difficulty) with the default weapon, no super move and no charms. However, the pirate and a few others are the exception and I kind of wish that wasn't the case. You should be able to A+ or S everything without buying anything from the shop or getting any of the super moves.

Snagret

What a shitty OT title.

Yep, a lot of people think they're natural comedians. I don't even get the joke but thats on me for not being an insider.
Lighten up you guys, jeez.

I made it to the second world with my partner, but the controller vibration kept bugging out and getting stuck. Seems like I'm not the only one with that problem, so I think I'll hold off until a patch hits. Lovely game though, can't wait to play more.

88random

I love this game. I installed it yesterday and was like "I'll play one or two bosses, just to try it out", and a few hours later, I'm on the third island, lol.
The most difficult for me was the clown boss with the roller coaster. The dragon was not really that hard, I spent maybe 10 minutes on him.

Yep, a lot of people think they're natural comedians. I don't even get the joke but thats on me for not being an insider.

You don't need to be an insider to get this joke.

With Cagney Carnation, I've noticed if the first attack is the neck extending attack (as opposed to turning into a gun), the roar sound will get stuck on a loop and I'll have to retry, as the sound is horrible on a loop! I think it's more likely to occur if the attack goes low, as opposed to high? It has been a reoccurring issue, even playing the game across multiple days. (The flower is evil, okay.) ETA: Yeah, I don't seem to have the problem if the attack goes high.

Just to add on from the last post, the roar sound getting stuck on a loop definitely only happens if the first attack goes low, and the sound will keep playing until Cagney uses the attack again. I haven't had it happen if it extends its neck high. I've also had it happen throughout the fight if it uses the lower attack again later, but it isn't every time.

The noise is not pleasant!

Also - sob - I've died twice simultaneously with the final mini-boss on one of the run and gun levels. Every time it happens - noooooooooo! So close!

Drain You

So I decided to restart completely to try out the smoke dash and charge shot that everyone says is OP. What do I have to buy first to get the charge shot? I'm on the second island and haven't bought anything yet.

eso76

People had troubles with the third form of the robot boss ?
That was the absolute easiest part of the entire game so far for me.
Got there with 1hp the first time and only died because I tried to parry a 'purple' bullet that I though was pink, next time i got there (also with my last hp) beat it no prob.

Not even bragging because otherwise the game is kicking my ass on repeat. I think I might have died in the world map too :p

Ravelle

So I decided to restart completely to try out the smoke dash and charge shot that everyone says is OP. What do I have to buy first to get the charge shot? I'm on the second island and haven't bought anything yet.

It showed up in my shop after I bought, spread, smoke bomb, extra heart, coffee and Chaser.

Lima

Perilous Piers on pacifist is so hard -.-
That stupid octopus part...

That was actually really easy. Don’t try to jump too much and just look at the trajectory of the shrimp. Most of them can be easily evaded by just moving from left to right.

Charge shot shows up after buying any two weapons.

Narroo

Wow the devil was easy. The robot gave me more trouble.

Fairly trivial once you know you can duck in the first stage. Charge shot is OP as well

Really, I had the most trouble with him. What exactly can you duck in that stage?

Also, I toyed around with the charged shot but it didn't seem as strong as a point blank shotgun spread. What about it is OP?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Really, I had the most trouble with him. What exactly can you duck in that stage?

Also, I toyed around with the charged shot but it didn't seem as strong as a point blank shotgun spread. What about it is OP?
His hand/hoof clap in the first phase.

Gestault

Almost cleared world three co-op last night. Still loving it, though I've run into some oddities where a world event won't tigger if it's only player two alive at that point (elevator on the run-and-gun level doesn't appear to start for just Mugman) and abusing some of the larger pink objects, you can stagger the performance.

Afro

The Chaser kinda' removes a whole layer of depth from the game skill-wise. It shouldn't even be in the game no matter how little damage the shots do. People who beat the bee level with the pea shooter will know how much more rewarding it feels when you're forced to use manual lock aim for the 1st and 3rd phases of that fight.

PSqueak

Banned
The Chaser kinda' removes a whole layer of depth from the game skill-wise. It shouldn't even be in the game no matter how little damage the shots do. People who beat the bee level with the pea shooter will know how much more rewarding it feels when you're forced to use manual lock aim for the 1st and 3rd phases of that fight.

I don't think there is shame on using the chaser because you need to move out of using it to save time when you want to go for the Hi-scores.

What a shitty OT title.

I understood that reference.

Izuna

Banned

Doesn't matter, you can't get A+ or S with Chaser damage.

Also Charge is far easier anyway.

Afro

Doesn't matter, you can't get A+ or S with Chaser damage.

Also Charge is far easier anyway.

The game should force players on normal difficulty to learn how to use manual aim (even the casuals who don't care about A/S class rankings) because it's a rewarding skill to master and adds a layer of depth. I don't care if the Chaser damage doesn't work for A/S rankings since the majority isn't going to be replaying levels at higher difficulties anyway, only the enthusiasts. Everyone should be forced to improve their skill set as the game progresses, not use the easy way out.

Top Bottom