• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead |OT| 2 Cups 1 Screen

Izuna

Banned
Understood.

Actually, I may be wrong. I assumed it meant believing that people should play a game a certain way but that's not the official meaning.

Might be one of the words that is used in a different, more modern way in gaming.

ItIsOkBro

What are your routes for King Dice?

I like 3, 5, 9

Which is the cigarette, card dude? (so fucking easy) and the pairs one.

Got A+ quickly with that. You can use the super on the pairs one and skip a couple rounds.

Auto Parry makes it really simple too.

i didn't have a preferred route but i had a no fucking way route with 1, 6, 9.

1 is, i think, the hardest. hard enough to be its own boss. 6 is annoying with the obstacles blocking the screen. and 9 takes too long.

I like 3, 5, 9

Got A+ quickly with that. You can use the super on the pairs one and skip a couple rounds.

I always chose the levels with the extra hearts.

N° 2048

Man what an amazing looking game! And I love the difficulty! This is one of my favorite new games

Seriously, one of my favorite games in the recent years and I've played a lot of fucking games.

Can't even bother picking a GOTY this year, so many contenders for me.

Apples_89

2,5,7. (Chips, Rabbit, Dancer) I can't possibly fuck those 3 up with Smoke equipped.
I second this; by far the easiest route to get to the King. If you want to make it even easier, just keep hitting 'retry' at the start until the extra hearts land on those numbers. Even if you screw up all the card parries, you should still have enough HP to carry you through till he's KO'd.

okay for reference to others in this thread

world 2 destroyed my hopes and dreams

each boss took me about 2 hours to beat. to those who did it wayyyy quicker, congrats!!

I am now starting world 3 and dear god it gets harder lol FML

Ravelle

I'm not sure if this was known already but there's a secret coin next to the axe looking fellow on the first Island, I'm not even sure if it's secret actually. I backtracked to the first Island and wanted to talk to the NPC but I clicked A next to him on the left facing the woods and I got a free coin.

Arozay

Well I 200%'ed it and got the achievements. Hope there's DLC to give me an excuse to boot up the game again. The bosses are fun but the run and gun stages were a bit of a chore.

Plus I that smoke dash thing is clearly the best charm.

Any tips of beating the
devil
?

I used charge and spread, spread for the big face phase. Super I.

Might be one of the words that is used in a different, more modern way in gaming.

More like, it's one of those words that used to actually have meaning until gamers reduced it to something else entirely for their little warz
Gamers use the word 'elitist' where normal folk would use the word 'douchebag', or a million other more appropriate words that they actually know the meaning of
is there any other fandom on this planet where anyone whose input can even be loosely interpreted as 'snobby' is automatically labeled an elitist?

8byte

Banned
Was having a conversation with a friend the other day and he said the studio said there may be a Mac version down the road? Is that true? I own a Laptop that *can* run it, but I'd much rather play on my iMac, and if I have to wait a little that's fine, but if it's not something that's been confirmed I don't want to "wait"...so, can anyone here fill me in?

I don't want this to come off as a port-beg, just genuinely asking if it's planned for Mac, otherwise I'm fine on PC. Thanks! :)

Nabs

Was having a conversation with a friend the other day and he said the studio said there may be a Mac version down the road? Is that true? I own a Laptop that *can* run it, but I'd much rather play on my iMac, and if I have to wait a little that's fine, but if it's not something that's been confirmed I don't want to "wait"...so, can anyone here fill me in?

I don't want this to come off as a port-beg, just genuinely asking if it's planned for Mac, otherwise I'm fine on PC. Thanks! :)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=242211150&postcount=266

eso76

1 is, i think, the hardest. hard enough to be its own boss. 6 is annoying with the obstacles blocking the screen. and 9 takes too long.

1 was the hardest for me, followed by the roulette.
6 was so easy I thought there was something wrong..and in fact there was the first time I got there, since the ghost riders (the only thing you really have to pay attention to) didn't show up at all

I like 3, 5, 9

2/3, 5, 7/8

Only 1, 4, and 9 are really all that difficult; 6 has an annoying problem with an obtrusive foreground.

Ravelle

Fuck those god damn random ass flames from Matchstick. I can't practice if it's random every time, some seem impossible to anticipate because they're jumping right after eachother hitting me while I'm still mid air from the previous dodge.

I got the third stage a couple of times but only with 1-2 health and I'm dead 2 seconds into that round without any bearings or means to get the feel of the round.

Fuck those god damn random ass flames from Matchstick. I can't practice if it's random every time, some seem impossible to anticipate because they're jumping right after eachother hitting me while I'm still mid air from the previous dodge.

I got the third stage a couple of times but only with 1-2 health and I'm dead 2 seconds into that round without any bearings or means to get the feel of the round.

after two hours on him, i discovered during the fireball phase just stick to the right of screen and just focus on evading not even shooting, and don't use chaser or it will blow up those fireballs.

attack during flamethrower part

Afro

I found them to be predictable if you're wearing headphones and hear when they're about to jump. I can see how they'd wreck you if you're using TV speakers because they're pretty quiet.

Ravelle

I found them to be predictable if you're wearing headphones and hear when they're about to jump. I can see how they'd wreck you if you're using TV speakers because they're pretty quiet.

I hear them squeak when they're about to jump but I'm not fast enough if they jump right beneath me without an arc.

I "beat" the game last night and it was incredible. And I put that in quotes because I
sold my soul to The Devil instead of fight him lol, so I need to go back to that and replay it.
I don't ever see people talking about the Lobber, but DAMN is that a fun weapon to just clutter the screen with. Pairing the Lobber and Roundabout is a dangerous combo. Only item I couldn't buy by the end was the single heart charm, never used the heart charms at all but had enough coins to get the double heart by the end so I got it anyway.

Co-op is a blast too, I hope they make it online. So much to love!

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Beat every level in world 1 in the Regular level. World 2 is taking up, but beated all in Simple. World 3 I'm almost finishing.

It's hard, but boy, it's nice.

eso76

Try to stay on top and try not to jump unless it's to avoid one of those flames. If you need to get off a cloud, see if you can just walk off and drop to one below instead of jumping, because you don't want those fuckers to catch you mid-jump.
Pay attention to the sound, their jump is always announced with a laughter. Jumping straight up should be enough to avoid them, it's quick and you'll be well positioned to dodge the next.
If you start panicking and dashing around the next one will almost certainly hit you.

Oh, btw, obviously you'll want to use a weapon like the chaser because you don't want to have to pay attention to your aim or the direction you're facing. This allows you to stay on the top row of clouds which gives you plenty of time to avoid those little fellas

Ravelle

Try to stay on top and try not to jump unless it's to avoid one of those flames. If you need to get off a cloud, see if you can just walk off and drop to one below instead of jumping, because you don't want those fuckers to catch you mid-jump.
Pay attention to the sound, their jump is always announced with a laughter. Jumping straight up should be enough to avoid them, it's quick and you'll be well positioned to dodge the next.
If you start panicking and dashing around the next one will almost certainly hit you.

Oh, btw, obviously you'll want to use a weapon like the chaser because you don't want to have to pay attention to your aim or the direction you're facing. This allows you to stay on the top row of clouds which gives you plenty of time to avoid those little fellas

Yeah, I am using the tracer and the Pea shooter, tried using charge but it isn't as effective as I was meant to believe. didn't really notice any significant difference. Roundabout would have worked but that would mean standing on the mid clouds which is risky.

So after spending hours on world 2 bosses. upon entering world 3, within an hour i beat
the medusa like lady, the captain at the docks, the lady at the stage play

some of the bosses look like they will give me trouble like the
bee boss, dear god is she hard, and it seems like the ghost train won't be too difficult.

Saikyo

So after spending hours on world 2 bosses. upon entering world 3, within an hour i beat
the medusa like lady, the captain at the docks, the lady at the stage play

some of the bosses look like they will give me trouble like the
bee boss, dear god is she hard, and it seems like the ghost train won't be too difficult.

About the
bee boss
you can cheese this if you buy
charge shot and chaser, use charge and in the last phase use chaser

Still having problem with
Cala Maria
and other bosses in world 3, having multiple rng for phases is making me rage...

About the
bee boss
you can cheese this if you buy
charge shot and chaser, use charge and in the last phase use chaser

Still having problem with
Cala Maria
and other bosses in world 3, having multiple rng for phases is making me rage...

fighting Cala Maria, use your shrinking a lot and if it takes you another minute just evade evade evade, i find when i wasn't rushing her i did way better

i'll try your recommendation for charge shot and chaser on
bee boss, i haven't even made it to her last phase yet...... she's that hard

jholmes

1 is by far the hardest of the first three but it's really not that hard once you get the feel for the tumbler's attack. Are you not using charge shot? That might be the sort of boss that's a lot harder without the charge.

Agree with 6 and 9. Generally I tried to go 2/3, 5, 7, although a health up might get me to change that up.

the juggler isn't giving me coins

i parried
four times a row in one of the run n gun levels and i still don't get a coin

It might not work on a non-enemy parry thing like the bell in that one level. Just wait for the last mausoleum, it should be easy to get four or five there and it's a lot more fun (and productive) than trying to force it in a run-n-gun.

1 is by far the hardest of the first three but it's really not that hard once you get the feel for the tumbler's attack. Are you not using charge shot? That might be the sort of boss that's a lot harder without the charge.

Agree with 6 and 9. Generally I tried to go 2/3, 5, 7, although a health up might get me to change that up.

It might not work on a non-enemy parry thing like the bell in that one level. Just wait for the last mausoleum, it should be easy to get four or five there and it's a lot more fun (and productive) than trying to force it in a run-n-gun.

I love that you knew exactly what I was doing! Thank you

More like, it's one of those words that used to actually have meaning until gamers reduced it to something else entirely for their little warz
Gamers use the word 'elitist' where normal folk would use the word 'douchebag', or a million other more appropriate words that they actually know the meaning of
is there any other fandom on this planet where anyone whose input can even be loosely interpreted as 'snobby' is automatically labeled an elitist?

Per Google:
Elitist: a person who believes that a society or system should be led by an elite.

He believes that Cuphead should be redone the way he finds it more satisfying, just because he finds it more satisfying, and that anybody doing another way is inferior. I fail to see how that's not elitist, by the actual definition of the word.

Incidentally, "snob" and "elitist" are synonyms, so I'm going to go with yes, there are tons of places (including fandoms) where snobby people are labelled elitist.

The Argus

I somehow got the ultra rare trophy for 5 parrys in a row without touching the ground in the 2nd run and gun level on island 2. Didn't even know it was a thing. Cool little diamond appeared.

Full of pride I then went to the dragon and beat him without being hit once. Used charge shot, 4 health bonus and super 1. Phase two is easy as long as you stay up top and listen for the little flame parade to make their "yippe" sound. After one jumps, go to a lower cloud and fire off a charge. Rinse and repeat. Phase 3 is brutal if your just firing at random and hit a fireball. I instantly used my super and kept to higher clouds. Fireballs come in two so after dodging both, jump down and fire a charge.

eso76

Yeah, I am using the tracer and the Pea shooter, tried using charge but it isn't as effective as I was meant to believe. didn't really notice any significant difference. Roundabout would have worked but that would mean standing on the mid clouds which is risky.

Yeah, I tried the charge but didn't really feel like it was giving me any real advantage.
Unlike the tracer. That fundamentally changes the way you play the game. With all the shit that goes off onscreen, not having to pay attention to your aim and still hitting the enemies helps enormously.

In retrospect the game wasn't too hard. It's unforgiving, as in you're not allowed to let your guard down, ever.
The hardest boss for me was probably the clown. It's the only one where I felt I wasn't making progress and the only one I think I beat out of luck and I am not sure could beat again right now. I don't think I have his attack patterns down, esp. last form.

Grazzt

Yeah 1,6,9 are the most annoying ones. Others are very easy, especially 8.

Top Bottom