• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead |OT| 2 Cups 1 Screen

jviggy43

Basically all of the weapons and charms make the game much easier. Some people want certain weapons nerfed because this is meant to be a challenging game and some of these weapons make it far less challenging. While I do think using most of the weapons/charms should be considered playing on easy mode, I think it helps make the game more fun for people who find it super difficult. Not everyone could beat Contra without the 30 lives code.

For me, I've completed the game, getting an A+ on all bosses, using only the default weapon on 90% of them and no charms at all. Occasionally I had to use another weapon or a super to get my time down for the A+, but if I settled for an A I could've done every boss with default weapons, no charms and no super. That made the game enjoyable for me, and it was my choice not to use Charge or Smoke Bomb, but the point is, I had a choice.
Charge shot is broken and breaks the bosses in the game, which is essentially breaking the game. People want something in the game that breaks the way it was intended to be played per, the devs. You can skip entire ohases of bosses with it, it needs a nerf. Teeth really couldn't be anymore clear why charge shot is so much different from the other abilities which are working as intended.

Agreed. No one will ever use it if it gets nerfed. I mean who wants to use the slowest weapon if it isn't as strong as it is now?

They should instead make it a reward for getting 3 or more S ranks or something like that.

Or maybe they should make it the last unlockable item in the shop forcing the player to get all the in game's money in order to get it.
A 10 percent damage reduction is not going to all of a sudden make it worthless, but bring it in line with the the other weapons. That's still plenty powerful.

I get to the Dice King without taking any damage, but can't parry those damn cards ... ffs
Someone made a good point that helped me beat him: Don't try to parry from one to the next unless it looks easy. You can parry the same card twice or three times if needed to get yourself ready to move onto the next card to parry. Helped me out BIG TIME.

Neoweee

I get to the Dice King without taking any damage, but can't parry those damn cards ... ffs

Big tip:

(you can hide behind his hand. Helps if you have the smoke dodge.)

Charge shot is broken and breaks the bosses in the game, which is essentially breaking the game. People want something in the game that breaks the way it was intended to be played per, the devs. You can skip entire ohases of bosses with it, it needs a nerf. Teeth really couldn't be anymore clear why charge shot is so much different from the other abilities which are working as intended.

A 10 percent damage reduction is not going to all of a sudden make it worthless, but bring it in line with the the other weapons. That's still plenty powerful.

A mere 10% reduction will still leave it a clear favorite in a lot of fights.

Got to world 2 and my game crashed, booted it back up and my save file has gone. Bummer. I don't mind doing it again but does anyone have a solution for this? I'm playing via steam.

eso76

I'm stuck on robot and died 30 times already. i will for sure be looking at my ship from now on

third phase ?
tbh i had more troubles with those skull bombs in phase 1 and 2

yeah, i find that even in real bullet hell shooters focusing on the ship helps a lot.
You don't have to move much, you'll get killed if you keep moving all over the screen.
Just stay as far as you can and move as little as you can, when you see one of those large things approaching just move all the way up or down, or try to move past those as soon as the screen is not too busy.

Beat the game last night and started reading this thread to see other thoughts.

I didn't realize people struggled so much with the Dragon. I used "Lobber" almost the whole game and it turned that whole fight into a joke. Definitely one of the easier bosses.
Also, I never changed the default controls because I got used to them, but now I'm thinking I probably should have. Might have make some fights a little less tedious.

Overall I LOVED this game and it kicked my ass on a number of occasions. Great art style, great music, and brutal af yet satisfying which I love.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
My son is 5 and he has been impressing me. He started parrying objects nearly perfectly. he also figured out you can parry the question marks on the boxing slime, when I assumed there were no parry opportunities in that fight. My jaw dropped when he did that.

Not bad for a guy who can't read the tutorial.

ChryZ

Someone made a good point that helped me beat him: Don't try to parry from one to the next unless it looks easy. You can parry the same card twice or three times if needed to get yourself ready to move onto the next card to parry. Helped me out BIG TIME.

Big tip:

(you can hide behind his hand. Helps if you have the smoke dodge.)
O:

Cheers!

EDIT: saw this on twitter and it's pretty great

ixw6OTg.png

https://twitter.com/ImperatorOfPuns/status/919210966902067200

Ravelle

It seems the last phase of the dragon triggers the controller glitch again in which cuphead always aims to the right no matter what. A lot of wasted supers and shots.

third phase ?
tbh i had more troubles with those skull bombs in phase 1 and 2

yeah, i find that even in real bullet hell shooters focusing on the ship helps a lot.
You don't have to move much, you'll get killed if you keep moving all over the screen.
Just stay as far as you can and move as little as you can, when you see one of those large things approaching just move all the way up or down, or try to move past those as soon as the screen is not too busy.

I'm having so much trouble in phases 1 and 2, any tips for how to dodge those bombs in both phases? they blow up and i thought u could parry them but nope

as for phase 3 i really only have 1hp by that time, so i haven't got used to the bullet hell sequence yet.

i'll try again tonight.

I'm having so much trouble in phases 1 and 2, any tips for how to dodge those bombs in both phases? they blow up and i thought u could parry them but nope

as for phase 3 i really only have 1hp by that time, so i haven't got used to the bullet hell sequence yet.

i'll try again tonight.

For phase 1 I go up and shoot the laser beam to start. You should be able to kill it before it fires. Then down and parry the electrical wall thing and start shooting the spaceship hangar. Then the bombs start in a regular timing from exactly where the hangar was. The first bomb should come out quick, so shoot it, move to the middle and fire for like 5 seconds and then move back down to kill the next bomb before it becomes a problem. Rinse and repeat.

It tends to come out around the same time as the electrical wall thing, so use that to time your bomb kills. I also like to spam the EX thing and not build up to the full five card bomb. Since that will shoot through the parry wall and it gives me something to shoot after shooting the bomb but before I do the parry. By the way after you parry the wall, you can fly directly through the thing it leaves behind. It does block your normal shots but it does not hurt you.

You can save up the five cards in phase 1 for your super to clear phase 2 more quickly. I forget the exact pattern for the bombs but it's pretty simple. You can steer them into each other but I prefer to shoot them and build up EX shots, then pre-fire the EX on the top path where the robot head is flying at you, dip down, switch to bombs and try to time two hits when he flies back to the right.

Phase 3 was by far my biggest problem going for the S ranking as it is tough for me to avoid the shots while doing enough damage to finish on time. I found that staying as far to the left as possible and then committing to small plane mode whenever I needed to dip around the obstacles to do it as quickly as possible and get back in a good firing position.

For phase 1 I go up and shoot the laser beam to start. You should be able to kill it before it fires. Then down and parry the electrical wall thing and start shooting the spaceship hangar. Then the bombs start in a regular timing from exactly where the hangar was. The first bomb should come out quick, so shoot it, move to the middle and fire for like 5 seconds and then move back down to kill the next bomb before it becomes a problem. Rinse and repeat.

It tends to come out around the same time as the electrical wall thing, so use that to time your bomb kills. I also like to spam the EX thing and not build up to the full five card bomb. Since that will shoot through the parry wall and it gives me something to shoot after shooting the bomb but before I do the parry. By the way after you parry the wall, you can fly directly through the thing it leaves behind. It does block your normal shots but it does not hurt you.

You can save up the five cards in phase 1 for your super to clear phase 2 more quickly. I forget the exact pattern for the bombs but it's pretty simple. You can steer them into each other but I prefer to shoot them and build up EX shots, then pre-fire the EX on the top path where the robot head is flying at you, dip down, switch to bombs and try to time two hits when he flies back to the right.

Phase 3 was by far my biggest problem going for the S ranking as it is tough for me to avoid the shots while doing enough damage to finish on time. I found that staying as far to the left as possible and then committing to small plane mode whenever I needed to dip around the obstacles to do it as quickly as possible and get back in a good firing position.

Thank you so much for this response. I appreciate it immensely. I feel like I have a way better shot at this.

DrDogg

Based on this, how is Charge any different than most of the other weapons and charms? You don't have to aim when using the Chaser and you don't have to doge half the time when using the Smoke Bomb. Both break a lot of the bosses in the game.

Lima

Based on this, how is Charge any different than most of the other weapons and charms? You don't have to aim when using the Chaser and you don't have to doge half the time when using the Smoke Bomb. Both break a lot of the bosses in the game.

Because none of the things you mentioned break the game and literally allow you to skip phases of certain bosses. How is this so hard to understand.

Hmmm, I'm gonna have to disagree. I've seen Charge shot users skip Phases of bosses; the most drastic of which being
killing Rumor Honeybottoms in her second Phase before she even starts to transform into the third.

Smoke and Chaser don't come close to that level of broken.

N° 2048

OMG

Just spent TWO hours straight beating the train boss. It's not even supposed to be a hard boss apparently but gave me trouble.

Just Robot boss and final boss left I assume. @88%

eso76

Question;
In my time with the game I couldn't understand whether damage carries over from one boss phase to the next or if resets.

Example: boss X is 1hp away from initiating phase 2. Unleashing a super on him/her at that point is useless because he will only take 1 hit damage and then initiate phase 2 with full health, or will phase 2 start with him weakened ?

Edit: nevermind, just read a couple posts above that you can kill bosses before they even get to their final stage so I guess there's my answer.

Lima

To supplement my 200% all S rank save I got all the P ranks today finally. My god that shit was harder than S ranking most bosses to me. Now I’m a little sad because I unlocked all achievements and done very thing I can.

Question;
In my time with the game I couldn't understand whether damage carries over from one boss phase to the next or if resets.

Example: boss X is 1hp away from initiating phase 2. Unleashing a super on him/her at that point is useless because he will only take 1 hit damage and then initiate phase 2 with full health, or will phase 2 start with him weakened ?

Edit: nevermind, just read a couple posts above that you can kill bosses before they even get to their final stage so I guess there's my answer.

From what I can tell, bosses have a cumulative health bar, with their phases transitioning at given health levels. Because of this, you can still lower their health while they transition to the next phase UNLESS said transformation specifically renders them invulnerable. With some bosses, clever usage of your super can indeed shorten phases greatly; the Charge can straight up skip some shorter phases.

Additionally, some bosses will finish their current attack pattern before transforming even if they hit the prerequisite level of health. In particular, the boss I mentioned earlier can be legitimately killed by purposely getting them 1 health from their last phase, waiting till they start a new attack, then killing them while they finish their last Phase 2 attack. That said, it's tricky and nigh impossible without the Charge.

jviggy43

Again teeth has explained this numerous times in this thread but I'll sum it up for you. Charge is 100% the best weapon to use at all times in all conditions. Every other weapon that has super useful counters to bosses are situational and aren't op for every single boss. Some work well for certain bosses like lobber for the bee or dragon, but aren't so great against say, ghost train. They also aren't pumping out the level of damage that charge does. Charge allows you to skip entire sections of bosses due to how much damage it does, and it can do this against every boss in the game with no real downside to it. Chaser doesn't require you to aim, at the expense of being much weaker than most of the other weapons. Its a give and take situation wheras there is no down side to charge on top of it being over powered.

Again teeth does a better job of summing this up but a weapon which has ubiquitous use throughout every encounter, deals the most damage, and has no real trade off for choosing it makes it an Op weapon and allows people to circumvent entire stages of boss encounters. Thats why its getting, rightfully, nerfed.

I BEAT HIM. Thank you so much for the advice, it helped greatly!!

Again teeth has explained this numerous times in this thread but I'll sum it up for you. Charge is 100% the best weapon to use at all times in all conditions. Every other weapon that has super useful counters to bosses are situational and aren't op for every single boss. Some work well for certain bosses like lobber for the bee or dragon, but aren't so great against say, ghost train. They also aren't pumping out the level of damage that charge does. Charge allows you to skip entire sections of bosses due to how much damage it does, and it can do this against every boss in the game with no real downside to it. Chaser doesn't require you to aim, at the expense of being much weaker than most of the other weapons. Its a give and take situation wheras there is no down side to charge on top of it being over powered.

Again teeth does a better job of summing this up but a weapon which has ubiquitous use throughout every encounter, deals the most damage, and has no real trade off for choosing it makes it an Op weapon and allows people to circumvent entire stages of boss encounters. Thats why its getting, rightfully, nerfed.

Firstly, no. It isn't 100% the easiest or even best weapon to use in all fight. That is factually false. You're not getting past the first section of the train fight in isle iii with a charge shot, for example.

I can't support that decision because we are now saying that this was intended to be a mega-man trial and error esque game where people have to load up a battle, experiment with a loadout, find out if it works, if it doesnt, go back to map, pick new load up, and reload the battle. This doesn't sound intuitive or fun, like at all.

I'll go back to a classic in the genre which, coincidentally, this game gives nods to: Gunstar Heroes. You can essentially go through an entire playthrough and regardless of the loadout you carry. Loadouts should not inherently be situational. IF anything, it sounds like all weapons but the charge shot need to be buffed.

I think Mega Man are the worst games in the genre because the challenge isn't so much your performance or skill level as a player but making sure you have the right load out on you. This is an arbitrary challenge. The trial and error should pertain to the enemy patterns to give the player a sense that they are actually improving thier skill level. I'm not an inherently better player because i so happened to pick the right load out.

jviggy43

Firstly, no. It isn't 100% the easiest or even best weapon to use in all fight. That is factually false. You're not getting past the first section of the train fight in isle iii with a charge shot, for example.

I can't support that decision because we are now saying that this was intended to be a mega-man trial and error esque game where people have to load up a battle, experiment with a loadout, find out if it works, if it doesnt, go back to map, pick new load up, and reload the battle. This doesn't sound intuitive or fun, like at all.

I'll go back to a classic in the genre which, coincidentally, this game gives nods to: Gunstar Heroes. You can essentially go through an entire playthrough and regardless of the loadout you carry. Loadouts should not inherently be situational. IF anything, it sounds like all weapons but the charge shot need to be buffed.

I think Mega Man are the worst games in the genre because the challenge isn't so much your performance or skill level as a player but making sure you have the right load out on you. This is an arbitrary challenge. The trial and error should pertain to the enemy patterns to give the player a sense that they are actually improving thier skill level. I'm not an inherently better player because i so happened to pick the right load out.

First of all, yes it is, I'm literally repeating verbatim what the devs have said about charge shot. Youre absolutely getting past the train with charge, you can shoot the eyes without charging and the regular shots require a nerf too (per teeth, again).

Literally teeth said the perogative of having different types of weapons is to experiment. Almost everything youre saying in this post is contradicted by the devs in this very thread. They want you to experiment. Unlike in megaman where you have to restart the stage, cuphead literally requires you exit to map, switch weapons, and pick up exactly where you were prior. In total thats like a 15-20 second wait, max. Thats nothing. Additionally, any weapon can and will work. The main point being, charge shot is the BEST choice in every situation. Again, as confirmed by devs.

Again teeth addressed the idea that other weapons need a buff. That would then require changing the pool of health of the bosses and a ton of more work when in reality only charge shot is not functioning as intended, hence why its getting a nerf. Everything else functions as intended. And again, they want weapons to be experimented with and having more use thats situational than having one weapon type trump all in every situation aka charge shot.

Youre fundamentally misunderstanding mega man (and this game). You can beat any boss with any weapon type in both cuphead and mega man. Yes, there are more effective weapons that can be used in both games but that doesn't mean you can't run through them with the base weapon (IE I ran through cuphead with the base weapon on my first playthrough; I also never even knew about most of the boss weaknesses in mega man X when I was little and still managed to get to the final stages). This isn't an arbitrary change either. Teeth literally said they could post the numbers to prove with actual data charge shot is op. It needs a nerf, its not functioning how they intended, its breaking encounters, its more useful than any other weapon, the devs have said they want you trying out different weapon types. I mean basically everything in your post has been addressed by Teeth.Youre way off the mark.

Here I found the post:

Here's the problem with the Charge shot - at this point, it is universally the best weapon in every situation. That is not the way it's supposed to be. Each weapon should have its own situational use.

The goal is to have the charge shot be situationally the best weapon but not universally the best weapon. The goal is to make you want to switch out your weapon depending on which boss or level you are on.

Due to the design of most bosses, the only general weakness of the Charge shot is when there are a ton of fast moving enemies on the screen at once that you have to clear out, which rarely happens.

Additionally, it allows you "package" or "save" damage during invincible portions/transitions, which no other weapons can, and its base level of damage is too high anyway. Being able to crush a boss within 45 seconds with the charge shot alone, while the next fastest weapon taking 1:20 means it's broken, flat out.

PSqueak

Banned
Teeth, if you're seeing this i wanna report a minor bug i found on the weekend when a buddy came to play some Co-op.

When you're playing on a file on expert and load a file that hasn't unlocked expert mode, the game will still load the bosses in expert mode (in the title card it will show an invisible difficulty selected) and somehow it affects run and gun levels too.

DrDogg

Because none of the things you mentioned break the game and literally allow you to skip phases of certain bosses. How is this so hard to understand.

I guess I group that all into one. Smoke Bomb is super broken in my opinion. Sure, you can't skip entire phases of boss battles, but it's easier to use than the Charge and imo makes at least some of the fights much easier.

I do find it strange how toxic you people get when I compare the Charge to other weapons/charms. How about you calm down a bit?

Again teeth has explained this numerous times in this thread but I'll sum it up for you.

So you want to be an ass because I haven't read all 4000+ posts in this thread? Really?

Charge is 100% the best weapon to use at all times in all conditions. Every other weapon that has super useful counters to bosses are situational and aren't op for every single boss. Some work well for certain bosses like lobber for the bee or dragon, but aren't so great against say, ghost train. They also aren't pumping out the level of damage that charge does. Charge allows you to skip entire sections of bosses due to how much damage it does, and it can do this against every boss in the game with no real downside to it. Chaser doesn't require you to aim, at the expense of being much weaker than most of the other weapons. Its a give and take situation wheras there is no down side to charge on top of it being over powered.

I'm not arguing that Charge is the best weapon (although I have seen the argument made about fast switching being better). I'm simply saying that all of the weapons/charms have a huge impact on the difficulty of the game. The game can be beat with the default weapon, no charms and no supers. If you're going to nerf something because it makes the game too easy, you may as well nerf all the things that make the game too easy.

I would also argue it's not the best weapon at all times, in all conditions. If you parry you lose your charge. In addition, some people are not good at aiming it properly, especially when they need to dodge and hit a specific point on a boss. Again, it's good, probably the best, but not "100% the best weapon to use at all times in all conditions."

And yes, I agree skipping an entire boss phase is a bit much, but that's the extreme and doesn't happen on every boss, or even half the bosses. If you use a super at that same point during the bee boss, is the phase skipped? If not, how close is it to skipping the phase?

I guess I group that all into one. Smoke Bomb is super broken in my opinion. Sure, you can't skip entire phases of boss battles, but it's easier to use than the Charge and imo makes at least some of the fights much easier.

I do find it strange how toxic you people get when I compare the Charge to other weapons/charms. How about you calm down a bit?

So you want to be an ass because I haven't read all 4000+ posts in this thread? Really?

I'm not arguing that Charge is the best weapon (although I have seen the argument made about fast switching being better). I'm simply saying that all of the weapons/charms have a huge impact on the difficulty of the game. The game can be beat with the default weapon, no charms and no supers. If you're going to nerf something because it makes the game too easy, you may as well nerf all the things that make the game too easy.

I would also argue it's not the best weapon at all times, in all conditions. If you parry you lose your charge. In addition, some people are not good at aiming it properly, especially when they need to dodge and hit a specific point on a boss. Again, it's good, probably the best, but not "100% the best weapon to use at all times in all conditions."

And yes, I agree skipping an entire boss phase is a bit much, but that's the extreme and doesn't happen on every boss, or even half the bosses. If you use a super at that same point during the bee boss, is the phase skipped? If not, how close is it to skipping the phase?

No, but using a super at that point takes a sizable chunk out of the last Phase's health. Timing it well should allow one to kill the boss after only one attack on her part in the last Phase.

Ravelle

Man, the cloud placements of the last dragon stage is so messed up, one mis jump and you're you're stuck trying desperately to find a cloud to dodge up to and avoid his balls at the same time, then flamethrower to the face.

I got him up to his last sliver of life and I felt like I could murder a man.

You don't have to aim when using the Chaser

Chaser makes a lot of bosses harder, both because you shoot stuff you don't want to shoot(like the last Dragon phase) and because it does so little damage you have to dodge attacks for longer.

I find that dodging is what prevents me from killing bosses in the first place, not having to aim at them. I tried Chaser a couple of times and found it awful. I continue to be surprised at people talking about nerfing it.

Afro

Slammed the Dice King last night on my second try, breaks do help. Now to deal with the Devil.

Today I ordered all the Betty Boop essential collection blurays. This game rekindled my love for classic animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHdBxYeYTtk&list=LL2A-BtY6MifAxBJDqB2coLw&index=1

Just found a collection of classic shorts w/ cover art straight out of Cuphead DLC. 'Bout to buy. Never had a genuine interest in classic animation before this game. Youtube trailer. Amazing. The rings at 0:40 remind me of something involving a dragon. Death animation at 0:51 too.

BiggNife

The Chaser kinda' removes a whole layer of depth from the game skill-wise. It shouldn't even be in the game no matter how little damage the shots do. People who beat the bee level with the pea shooter will know how much more rewarding it feels when you're forced to use manual lock aim for the 1st and 3rd phases of that fight.

Let people play however they want

If they want to play with chaser let them play with chaser

If they want to use charge let them use charge

Not everyone has the same level of skill and not everyone enjoys struggling

N° 2048

Let people play however they want

If they want to play with chaser let them play with chaser

If they want to use charge let them use charge even though it's OP

Not everyone has the same level of skill and not everyone enjoys struggling

Straight up.

Just can't beat Robot. Those bombs get me.

So when I beat the robot, my first step was to kill the radar thing then go down to the bottom and hang back and shoot out the bottom thing. Now, that starts the skull bombs which seek you out, but you can shoot them pretty quickly and they won't get near you. You'll just be avoiding the spread gears from the top, shooting the seeking bombs at the bottom, then take some time to shoot the middle and parry. By then, you should have a bomb stored up, which you can use on the heart when it appears. It should be pretty quick to kill after that.

So when the head starts flying left to right then right to left. Just do your own counter clock wise circle motion in your plane. The bombs will follow you but if they get too close, turn small and maneuver around them. You should really be hitting the head when it comes right to left as you do the counter clockwise motion. Most of the time, when I was doing that part, one of the missiles from the left would run into one of the missiles on the right, killing them both.

You'll get it! Just keep trying a strategy that works for you and don't forget about turning small to move really fast.

Top Bottom