• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead Review Thread

Me and my brother are really looking forward to playing this in 2p coop!! Anyone knows what the reviews are saying about cooperative play? Don't have time To read!!

Some reviews said that having another partner makes it a very hectic experience in an already full screen with many things happening at once when you need to focus on your objective.
But most of the ones I've read have been positive about it .

Now I'm sitting down and playing it myself, I'm actually finding myself surprised it hasn't received more 10s, which is a surprise in itself.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Is this some new meme copy pasta I’m not aware of?

Because if not then holy shit that’s a sad attitude to have lmao.

“Hey listen I was going to play this game and possibly enjoy it... but while im shooting this boss, in the back of my mind I’m like man, if this was a 90 MC game instead of an 88 imagine how much more fun I would be having.”
lmao

Bsigg12

Now I'm sitting down and playing it myself, I'm actually finding myself surprised it hasn't received more 10s, which is a surprise in itself.

It's damn good but man, it's hard. I will say the game at least feels fair and punishes you for making mistakes and not some cheap out.

Rodelero

Me and my brother are really looking forward to playing this in 2p coop!! Anyone knows what the reviews are saying about cooperative play? Don't have time To read!!

In all honesty, I'd say buyer beware to anyone who primarily plans to get this for co-op. It's a seriously difficult game made massively harder by having a second player on screen due to the sheer level of chaos. It's really hard to keep track of where you and dangerous projectiles are at the best of times, let alone with a second player jumping and firing constantly.

Um, I used my Free Trial credit literally minutes after signing up and cancelled afterwards. I've done the same thing the past times I've used this very same deal.

I edited, but after signing up it definitely told me that it would be applied after free trial. and then i canceled. If its working for some people, def go for it and try it. Didnt for me unfortunately.

This is from my account:

Subscription Renewal
On October 29, 2017, your Unlimited subscription will not continue. The following promotion applies after your free trial: $10 to Amazon.com.

low-G

Wow, kinda blown away by how great the game feels. Playing on PC, unsure if that matters.

Challenge in the first bunch of bosses isn't bad at all, like easy 16-bit era boss tier. I hear the 2nd world gets harder from this thread? But still it feels so, so good.

Cannot wait to have time to play more.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Now that you say it, Salt and Sanctuary would have benefitted inmensely if it had the kind of hand made animations Cuphead has.

Oh, to add to my earlier reply to that, I just came across this old thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1399128
The dev studio was also expanded to 20 people. S&S is made by only 2 people.

So yeah, I don't think 2 people making a game like S&S with visuals like Cuphead is financially realistic at all, unfortunately.

low-G

Dark Souls is actually designed well. Battletoads, well...is anything but.

For the most part Battletoads is well designed. People get angry at the game for the dumbest reasons. Enemies that take hit points directly off your health bar? Who cares you can easily kill em! Oh this section is too fast? Suck it up buttercup, there are 2 bosses in Dark Souls that are basically impossible.

jviggy43

Stupid... because i wanted a high 90s score game in my Xbox games library that is not Forza.... WTF... And don't tell me that reviews doesnt matter please because we are in a review thread... I am going to buy the game no matter the score because i love the artstyle. But a 90s score game is really important for an exclusive catalog on a platform, dont be hypocrite please... I didn't said that the game is sh*t or something else. A 85 is a good score.

I couldn't care less that you think 80 is a good score but rather that you think 1. a metacritic rating of 90+ is required for GoTY (lol) and 2. that a library needs a good series of metacritic scores to justify its existence (lol).

Besides the visuals and music, this game is a 7 at best. Controls aren’t that great, level designs are meh, and gameplay completely relies on repetition.
But god damn the style is so charming.

just bought it, cant wait to play it! i love the artstyle so much, and can't wait to see the wild things the team came up with.

Neith

Banned
q7nqBUb.gif

My response exactly to this nonsense.

As an older gamer I was intrepid about this game. My reflexes are not what they used to be, but after beating my first boss, the carrot dude, on the third try....... I jumped up and did a little dance. Took my boys 4 times lol. This is my game of the year so far. So old school.

Jumeira

Banned
Amazing review's, really really happy Cuphead is a smash, the guys involved poured pure love into this game, a true product of passion and risk. It wouldn't have been made by a big publisher and for that reason alone im going to purchase it to show solidarity to the devs who had the balls to make this game. It does seem too difficult for me to play, but will buy it out of principle, well done all involved!

Amazing review's, really really happy Cuphead is a smash, the guys involved poured pure love into this game, a true product of passion and risk. It wouldn't have been made by a big publisher and for that reason alone im going to purchase it to show solidarity to the devs who had the balls to make this game. It does seem too difficult for me to play, but will buy it out of principle, well done all involved!
Just try it you might surprise yourself, I know I did. I am loving it so far. Also great of you to support the devs.

As an older gamer I was intrepid about this game. My reflexes are not what they used to be, but after beating my first boss, the carrot dude, on the third try....... I jumped up and did a little dance. Took my boys 4 times lol. This is my game of the year so far. So old school.

This is great to hear, don't know what qualifies as an older gamer but I find myself lacking in the reflex department too. I bought the game and can't wait to get home to try it out.

Acrylic7

No online co-op? I had no idea. Man that kinda blows. I just automatically assumed all the videos were local and online co-op.

This is great to hear, don't know what qualifies as an older gamer but I find myself lacking in the reflex department too. I bought the game and can't wait to get home to try it out.
47 years old. I find myself not playing games like COD much anymore. Being honest with myself just not as good as I used to be. I do play tanks on the ps4 pro with real life friends. Really good at it. I am loving the switch when I can get it away from the kids lol.

This was my most wanted game of the year. Over everything...

Because of circumstances I had to get rid of some things. My Xbox was one of them. Since, what, 2014? I been looking forward to this game. Every time get to thinking about games and what's to come, I go; oohh.. and Cuphead!!

I'm so fucking sad that I can't play this game right now, I could cry. I've waited so long and here it is..

Cheers to everyone playing this game right now!
Best art style of the year is all I can say. Game looks absolutely stunning and I am so glad it is just MADE!

I will be back for you Cuphead(s).. I'll be back!

If anyone cares about Steam user reviews, they are through-the-roof good.

Great to see these reviews. There was little doubt the game would be fundamentally very good; just a relief there are no fatal flaws and that the reviewers overall could handle this game's awesomeness. I was buying it regardless but I want it to sell a ton. These devs went all-fucking-in. Can't wait to play it.

Top Bottom