• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Current meta of online communities being toxic diminishes personal accountability

How obvious when they literally miss word for word admissions or statements contrary to the inane bullshit they are spouting in the first place?

Take for example the post that said "OP all you do is cherry pick your replies to people who agree with you"

Oh yeah, like this one.

Name some. Seriously, go through the thread and find the posts where someone's takeaway from your posts is directly contradictory to your statements.

I'm not gonna do it for you, it's your fucking thread.

And saying I'm white knighting? That's cute. Almost as cute as the grow a pair insult.

Edit: wow, after reading your OP again, I just realized that you aren't talking about how people receive criticism, but how you don't like being called an asshole when you try to give it. You're angry that people are ungrateful for your unsolicited advice.

Spectone

This just sounds like the usual shit where someone who is a total asshole and doesn't have any empathy wants to continue being an asshole unchallenged and is willing to invest effort into shifting the blame on the people who call him out on it.

See: the Republican Party.

That's my take on this too.

redcrayon

What did I learn? well for one, I don't think I spent enough time crystallizing my initial thoughts as it was obviously confusing to most people (and I see now how it was misconstrued, I don't often type posts of this nature).

Second, I learned that a lot more people care about style/tone than they do substance, which is kind of weird and different from how I grew up - especially so for military folk, etc. I think I might be in the minority/disconnected from most by having this opinion.
People care about both style and substance in communications, because if one is poor both get disregarded. I'm just as likely to completely disregard advice that is polite yet useless as I am advice that is rude but might have stumbled upon a valid point, but the difference is one of those people is a poor player but at least a well-meaning one. The other is no more likely to be a better player, but their lack of social skills is probably making the whole experience outside of that exchange unpleasant for everyone without even realising it if they are getting that angry about losing a computer game.

People not being willing to put up with others being dicks in exchange for whatever meagre improvements in their gameplay they can glean between the insults does not make them an impractical carebear for not wanting to filter out all the bullshit to try and understand what some rando with no social skills or self-awareness (because they've certainly been on the opposite end themself) is trying to get at.

Communication matters, we are social creatures. If succeeding at online gaming with random people is very important to a player, it's probably worth them learning how to offer constructive advice and accept that others might not care quite as much, might ignore it or that they might not have all the relevant information, rather than putting the onus on the receiving player to decipher all the bullshit and insults and then take a load more when they've decided the advice was crap and can be safely ignored.

Regarding environment outside of the game, I suppose I work in a team in an office, and having someone with no authority or particular insight screaming 'do your job' during a debrief is unlikely to get any results other than others desperate not to work with them again. Drama isn't a reason anyone is there and there are far better ways to communicate the same information if frustrated and sure that you've identified the problem.

Buzzi

Yeah, never once did I find constructive criticism in Rocket League. Pretty much the only ones who talk do it do insult, being it a 'lucky', a mocking of mates or direct injuries both for being too weak or winning undeservedly.

And I know most of them are probably 15-18 yo grown up with the mentality that it's the only way to play online...that doesn't make it any less acceptable, not even a debate in this case.

Snagret

The only time I've ever received constructive criticism was in FFXIV, because some of the boss mechanics are just stupid and need explanation, but also the game allows the breathing room to actually talk a situation through with someone. Most of the time in online games there's no opportunity to do that, much less any incentive. The only other "criticism" I see elsewhere is just mean spirited insults.

How obvious when they literally miss word for word admissions or statements contrary to the inane bullshit they are spouting in the first place?

Take for example the post that said "OP all you do is cherry pick your replies to people who agree with you"

Can you please point us towards that post? If you mean mine I think you may want to re-read it, which of course is as deliciously ironic in the context of "not reading" as this whole thread in the context of "unable to acknowledge criticism".
Spoilers: You completely made up the "people who agree with you" part.

Jebusman

Banned
What did I learn? well for one, I don't think I spent enough time crystallizing my initial thoughts as it was obviously confusing to most people (and I see now how it was misconstrued, I don't often type posts of this nature).

Everyone understood exactly what you were getting at.

They just disagreed and then proved you a hyprocrite when you immediately jumped to the defensive when criticized rather than take your own words of advice and self reflect.

You also thought "get the fuck off genji you arent doing anything" could be anything but toxic. Please list the games you play so I can make sure I drop out if I ever see you in them.

Actually no scratch that. I'll make sure to give the most constructive criticism humanly possible for every fault/flaw I see you perform. Gotta help the team!

grow a fucking pair if you really feel that way.

I only just noticed this. You need to take a break from the internet and self reflect on how much of an asshole you might actually be.

This thread is stupid. The problem in online gaming is that it's too positive? Are you out of your gourd? The whole premise is a mess, it's just a typical "back in MY day" rant. "participation trophies"? jimcarreywhatareyoutalkingabout.gif

Eek. OP sounds like one of those "millennials are too thin skinned" folk who love to criticise when someone else is offended or hurt.

That is how that OP and some of your responses come across.

ResoRai

No. That's not at all what I am suggesting.

If you read the thread - I am simply saying it's what you do with that information and looking critically on people who both deliver the message and the receiver - and popping whether the receiver should be more amendable - especially if they are interested in personal improvement.

Lol

Op, I love me some Rainbow Six Siege and i'm pretty good, but I still screw up some times. Two of my recent-ish srew ups ended up having a guy telling me I shouldn't have done that and calling me a fucking idiot, and with the other mistake I had 3 guys calling me out and clowing on me calling me trash and grabage. I saw my mistakes after I did them, and I acknowledge that they were right about my screw ups, but that doesn't make the way they went about it any less dickish.

Also I have never heard "carebare" used by anyone other than assholes lol. I haven't heard it in years, but I remember the peeps using it weren't they greatest bunch.

Top Bottom