• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG: The Cult of Kaz Hirai. GAF members interviewed.

NotLiquid

Wait what? I thought it was all being done ironically. People actually have blind faith in him after all his mistakes?

That's what I thought as well. The gifs/avs have all been fun as hell but I never thought people were actually serious about worshiping the man. Even Reggie looks silly in comparison.

Foshy

Kaz Hirai is pretty damn lame. It's sad when that's the best figurehead you have at Sony. And Microsoft's is even worse.

I don't know why there isn't a Cult of Iwata. He is infinitely more likeable and worthy of cult status.

3EwlA4v.jpg

LayLa

you can count me in as one of those people who thought the Reggie & Kaz gifs were all ironic. never understood corporate cheerleading.

Yeah, I don't think it's a "cult", or any worshipping, it's just people having fun and practicing their photoshop and gif skills.

The writer wasn't really being serious with "cult" either.

zoukka

Even if someone making the gif respects Hirai, that is not the same as idolization.

English is not my first language so maybe idolization is the wrong term here. So what is it when people depict someone as more grand than they are and project their wishes on him in a way that he undoes all wrongs? Help me out here guys.

Amir0x

Banned
English is not my first language so maybe idolization is the wrong term here. So what is it when people depict someone as more grand than they are and project their wishes on him in a way that he undoes all wrongs? Help me out here guys.

That is idolization. I just disagree with the notion that most of those making the gifs are doing that, at least not in any direct way... naturally I'm sure most of them hope Kaz and his company can right past wrongs with the PlayStation, but that's probably a fairly simple hope considering he is in a position to do just that. So that's not even making him more grand than he is, ya know?

It's just hyped fun around a big event.

But the cult of Kaz is going to be super-disappointed when Andrew House takes to the stage for tonight's reveal :p

No, Kaz will do the initial reveal and tell us all how it ties together Sony's various businesses and ventures into a single product. Then Andrew House will come on stage and tell us about the PS4 and what it does. Kaz always introduces the big products and tells us what kind of new "Sony" it brings to consumers.

Shinta

Banned
Well, about that "consumer friendly" thing...

Are you going to get around to making a real point here? PS+ is one of the most consumer friendly services in gaming. The recent 13 for 13 sale rivaled some Steam prices, and was almost unheard of for consoles. Free PS Mobile game every Wednesday for the last 6 weeks. $10 sent out to some PSN members last night. Free online play and Netflix without a pay wall.

What are you talking about exactly?

zoukka

That is idolization. I just disagree with the notion that most of those making the gifs are doing that, at least not in any direct way... naturally I'm sure most of them hope Kaz and his company can right past wrongs with the PlayStation, but that's probably a fairly simple hope considering he is in a position to do just that. So that's not even making him more grand than he is, ya know?

Eh I'm not as optimistic on human nature, but good for you! I agree that the hype can be ironic and sarcastic, but from my experience here on GAF, a good chunk of it is pure, unfiltered fanboy madness :)

Not saying Sony fans are any different from any other fans in this regard. It's just how fandom works.

If you are suggesting that all users here use these gifs and remarks 100% sarcastic, then I think the next step in human evolution has been in GAF all along!

Amir0x

Banned
Are you going to get around to making a real point here? PS+ is one of the most consumer friendly services in gaming. The recent 13 for 13 sale rivaled some Steam prices, and was almost unheard of for consoles. Free PS Mobile game every Wednesday for the last 6 weeks. $10 sent out to some PSN members last night. Free online play and Netflix without a pay wall.

What are you talking about exactly?

well, you see, there is a big rumour thread going on right now that PS+ is going to be turned into some subscription service that hides basically all of PS4's online features, much like Xbox 360.

Donos

Some people are hyped beyond sanity but most of the gifs and avatars are not blind fanboy worship for kaz but rather people hyped for new hardware after 7 years. Others just roll with the fun. Kaz is one of the Sony Ceo's with alot of pics and expressions so he is good for gifs.

It's clear that the other camp gets grumpy when some of the gifs are specially making fun "against" Ninty/MS. That these people hope that the meeting will be failure and want a backfire is understandable.

Shinta

Banned
well, you see, there is a big rumour thread going on right now that PS+ is going to be turned into some subscription service that hides basically all of PS4's online features, much like Xbox 360.

We'll see. I think it'll still have everything free that is free on PS3 now, like online play and Netflix and demo access.

Will Gaikkai BC and Youtube instant uploads be part of PS+? It's possible, but that isn't really like Microsoft. Gaikkai cost a lot to purchase, and costs money to maintain.

Coolwhip

Banned
I think CVG misunderstood this whole ordeal. There was the same amount of 'worshipping' for Reggie and Iwata during the Wii U reveal times. It's not really Kaz specific. I doubt the same will happen for MS though, they have 0 likeable faces.

TheMink

A rumor thread? I thought it was just a "what if" scenario.

It is all relative. That would be bad compared to the PS3, but compared to what the 720 is supposed to be it could still be amazing for consumers ;)

meta4

Wait has it been stated in the rumor that multiplayer, netflix etc is behind a paywall?? It could be features such as spectate mode etc behind a plus service. Anyways I hope we get more details on this tonight.

DemonNite

Some people are hyped beyond sanity but most of the gifs and avatars are not blind fanboy worship for kaz but rather people hyped for new hardware after 7 years. Others just roll with the fun. Kaz is one of the Sony Ceo's with alot of pics and expressions so he is good for gifs.

It's clear that the other camp gets grumpy when some of the gifs are specially making fun "against" Ninty/MS. That these people hope that the meeting will be failure and want a backfire is understandable.

ah, finally a post with some sense

Kaz will be proud of you :p

Top Bottom