• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dai Gyakuten Saiban (The Great Ace Attorney) Import Thread | Eat your fish and chips

GSR

nh8Cz1w.png

DGS is out in a few hours in Japan, and as far as I can tell nobody claimed an import OT, so I figured I'd get a thread up for play impressions and questions. (Don't have time to do a full OT, so enjoy some cropped boxart as the only image in this post.)

It goes without saying, but tag your spoilers! Even better, tag them with where you are in the game:

Bad:
I can't believe
Asougi is actually Edgeworth time-traveling to the past
, what a crazy twist!

Good:
I just got to episode 3, and (story spoilers)
Benedict Cumberbatch appearing in person was a really surprising way to start the case.
Looking forward to what happens next!

Other than that, looking forward to everyone's thoughts!

I hope everyone who is playing this version enjoys themselves. One day we'll have a North American version OT for enjoying the game too. [/let's positive thinking!]

No commentary and minimal translation, so just stop by if you want to see the game in action and get direct-feed sound without Japanese comedians talking over it.

Those guys were awesome, thanks for uploading those vids.

Really curious how this turns out. I hope the hand-holding isn't so out of control during court sessions this time. Animations are still amazing. I can't get enough of Naruhodo's nervous eye wandering and slow hand raise.

GSR

Those guys were awesome, thanks for uploading those vids.

Really curious how this turns out. I hope the hand-holding isn't so out of control during court sessions this time. Animations are still amazing. I can't get enough of Naruhodo's nervous eye wandering and slow hand raise.

I have no issues with their routines! I just have issues with them not letting me get a clear listen to the sweet, sweet music.

Agreed on both the hand-holding and the animations.

PranooY

Total noob about this game here, even though i am an avid Ace Attorney fan.
I should be able to read Japanese right? Or will there be English subtitles & menu in Japanese release?
Also Any details about the localisation?

GSR OUR SAVIOR

I knew you'd grab the import OT for this. Thank you good sir.

Do we know if this'll have a 10 pm (JP) eshop digital release or not? Need to know whether I should go out and buy eshop cash or not.

GSR

Total noob about this game here, even though i am an avid Ace Attorney fan.
I should be able to read Japanese right? Or will there be English subtitles & menu in Japanese release?
Also Any details about the localisation?

The game's Japanese language-only, with only English for flavor occasionally.

GSR OUR SAVIOR

I knew you'd grab the import OT for this. Thank you good sir.

Do we know if this'll have a 10 pm (JP) eshop digital release or not? Need to know whether I should go out and buy eshop cash or not.

I know it's on eShop for preload, don't know when it'll unlock.

Oh, and if you haven't been following the DGS countdown - the grand finale's tonight, and with it comes that song. Good on them for waiting so long to bust it out!

Sakura

Thinking about whether to get this or not.
Feel like I've boughten too many games lately, but I've been interested in this title for a while.
Not a huge Ace Attorney fan though.

Thoraxes

I'll be following this thread since news of a western release seems to be all but dead at this point D:

Looking forward to watching some livestreams too!

Miker

Excited to hear what people think of the game once they've finished. I hope it's a return to form for Shu Takumi after going full Layton in Layton vs. AA.

Good stuff, looking forward to hearing impressions. I've been avoiding the flood of information in the past month or two, so the game's sorta a big question mark for me. But I believe in Takumi!

Been strongly considering going for the import myself considering the grim looking localization odds. But at the same time I know I wouldn't enjoy it as much as if I'd waited for a professional English translation. Decisions...

Really hope this gets localized. I'm usually OK with buying/playing JP 3DS games but the Japanese in this would just be way, way too much for me.

Also I'm finally getting around to playing PL vs PW and I'd love to see the clear successor to that game.

Excited to hear what people think of the game once they've finished. I hope it's a return to form for Shu Takumi after going full Layton in Layton vs. AA.

I think Takumi just did the writing on the court sections of LvAA while the Layton games' writer handled everything else. I definitely felt Takumi's work in the third case of that game.

At work so can't play my copy until tonight.

Miker

I think Takumi just did the writing on the court sections of LvAA while the Layton games' writer handled everything else. I definitely felt Takumi's work in the third case of that game.

At work so can't play my copy until tonight.

Well that would explain a lot of things. Was case 3 the
sad one with Jean Greyerl
? If so, I agree that it felt like classic AA.

Anyway, the character designs for Dai Gyakuten Saiban are on point (minus Iris boo). If Capcom doesn't localize this I'll cry myself to sleep for the rest of my life.

Sakura

The character models in this game are great. I thought it was a 2D sprite at first, but then they started moving :O

MrBadger

Me too. I'm expecting Ghost Trick levels of good because it sounds like something Takumi's passionate about and it won't have the same development issues as VS Layton.

Then again, if it does run into those issues, I'll feel less bad when Capcom don't localise it...

GSR

It is! It's (structure spoilers?)
the first case one to have three parts
, so it goes for quite a while.

It was good, although Ryuunosuke being a rookie means we got more "reiterate the known facts" dialogue than normal. DD vibes a bit. Hopefully that'll clear up as we continue on.

Amazon shipped my artbook + CD edition today. Don't normally go in for these LEs, but between Japanese history and law, I thought I'd splurge a little (that exchange rate's making it a little easier to justify too).

Probably another week or so until I get it, and the rest of the stuff I'm having shipped over, but after the demo I'm looking forward to it. Going to have to subscribe to the thread and avert my eyes until I get my grubby paws on it.

tei15

Dat moment in the first part of the first case,
when Uzukumaru pushes the baby back into the baby carrier he has on his back
, definitely among the funniest animations in Gyakuten games, I laughed so hard when I saw it.

takoyaki

thanks for making the thread, just bought the digital version. Can't play the game right now, but I'm looking forward to reading some of your impressions.

GSR

Stream's started up again with episode two. Beware spoilers! (And the basics of the case probably count as a spoiler, without going into details.)

Vans

I started learning Japanese 4 years ago so I could play Gyakuten Kenji 2. This is my favorite game series of all time.

And at long last, GAF, this will be the first Gyakuten game I'll play in Japanese.

Order: Ace Attorney / Daigyakuten Saiban Naruhodou Ryuunosuke no Bouken - E-capcom Special Limited Edition [3DS]

I'm ready.

Hopeford

I started learning Japanese 4 years ago so I could play Gyakuten Kenji 2. This is my favorite game series of all time.

And at long last, GAF, this will be the first Gyakuten game I'll play in Japanese.

I'm ready.

Bit of a similar position. I lived in Japan when I was a kid but didn't practice the language much so I'm kind of playing catchup, this will probably be my first Ace Attorney game in Japanese unless it gets a localization announced in like, 2 days haha.

I'm ready.

You should be fine. The Japanese isn't very hard, based on previous GS games and the DGS demo.

Joqu

So jealous of you guys, have fun! Gonna be hard to resist the urge to look up spoilers though. I'll at least listen to the soundtrack ;;

Why are you such a worry wort? :p Honestly, one missed translation of an ass-end-gen DS game and everyone's preparing for the worst!

I guess you're right but man, Capcom sure is taking their time to announce something if they do have plans. You should really be making these announcements BEFORE a game launches in a region if you don't want fans to worry.

I mean I'm still hoping but I can't help getting sceptical either, they've had plenty of chances to announce the game by now but they have just been silent so far. I wish there'd at least be some journalist out there who'd look into the matter :l

GSR

Very quick thoughts (will go into more detail later) - case one was very strong but a little too long for its own good, case two was an interesting take on an AA case (it feels much more like a Holmes short story than an AA case) but they didn't quite pull it off and the pacing was wonky as hell. Still, points for trying!

For those wondering, the game is confirmed to have
cases.

Also, one nice thing that happened: the game had a "point out the strange thing in this photo!" moment, and there were two strange things. Pointing at the wrong one didn't incur a penalty, just Holmes saying "well, yes, but that's not what we're talking about right now" and it let you try again.

Wanderer5

Bit of a similar position. I lived in Japan when I was a kid but didn't practice the language much so I'm kind of playing catchup, this will probably be my first Ace Attorney game in Japanese unless it gets a localization announced in like, 2 days haha.

What in 2 days?

Hopeford

Only question I have about this game to those who are playing it:

Does the game treat Holmes' character with respect? Huge fan of the original Holmes stories and a few trailers made him seem like a bit of an idiot, I'm hoping his character is treated as at least a little competent.

What in 2 days?

Oh, nothing coming up in two days that's just the arbitrary time limit I set for myself before I import it haha, sorry for not being clear.

GSR

SDCC is currently going on, and Capcom has a panel on Thursday with "first looks and reveals". Now would be a great time for an announce!

Does the game treat Holmes' character with respect? Huge fan of the original Holmes stories and a few trailers made him seem like a bit of an idiot, I'm hoping his character is treated as at least a little competent.

He's definitely sillier and more error-prone than the original Holmes, but he still has his moments of surprisingly sharp deduction and forethought.

I'm really looking forward to reading everyone's thoughts on this, especially as it's the next game from Takumi, and it generally feels like what the Layton Vs AA team worked on since that game (Yamazaki's team started work on Ace Attorney 6 soon after development on Ace Attorney 5 finished, so I guess that game will appear next year).

Like Layton Vs AA this has got the more ambitious camera angles, the panel of witnesses to question, and a Yasumasa Kitagawa soundtrack.

But there's also a lot of new elements that I don't know about, and I'm curious about whether this is a natural evolution from that game. I'm hoping it's challenging too -- I appreciated how Layton Vs AA's hint coins meant holding back no punches in some scenarios. Much appreciated given how patronisingly easy Ace Attorney 5 was.

Top Bottom