• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daigo unsure if SFV will still be played in Japan next year due to no arcade release.

Yudoken

Kind weird, shouldn't it be possible to just set up pc/ps4 systems with the game loaded?

Thr gsme basically is an arcade version so there would be no big difference.

Pompadour

Kind weird, shouldn't it be possible to just set up pc/ps4 systems with the game loaded?

Thr gsme basically is an arcade version so there would be no big difference.

How would the people running these venues make money? Cover charges?

I'd like someone to ask Capcom about an arcade version just to see if it's even legally possible. Sony paid for some exclusivity, after all.

Around the release of SFV I saw tweets about Japan opening up console gaming bars centered around SFV gatherings. Whatever happened to that?

I feel like SFV is going to be a very interesting game to look back on in several years when all the skeletons come out of the closet.

Tripon

Around the release of SFV I saw tweets about Japan opening up console gaming bars centered around SFV gatherings. Whatever happened to that?

I feel like SFV is going to be a very interesting game to look back on in several years when all the skeletons come out of the closet.
The gaming bars are still in business. It's still a transition for the gaming scene though

Neoxon

Hopefully Capcom changes their mind and makes a Super Street Fighter V. There's too much to fix about this game and the release of this game for simple patches.
That would actually be worse for Capcom in the long-run. Plus a lot of the current issues are getting fixed next week.

How would the people running these venues make money? Cover charges?

The biggest issue is the lack of exclusivity. It's a pretty hard sell to convince more casual players to pay per play a game they can just play at home

and as a result arcade owners aren't likely to give up precious floor space for those games

Pompadour

The biggest issue is the lack of exclusivity. It's a pretty hard sell to convince more casual players to pay per play a game they can just play at home.

I'd agree normally but the Japanese aren't buying PS4s and they don't typically play on PCs. The difference here is they can pay a small fee to play in an arcade or spend the Japanese equivalent of paying hundreds of dollars to play at home.

Skilletor

Hopefully Capcom changes their mind and makes a Super Street Fighter V. There's too much to fix about this game and the release of this game for simple patches.

But we're going to get those big updates. We aren't getting just "simple patches."

I'd agree normally but the Japanese aren't buying PS4s and they don't typically play on PCs. The difference here is they can pay a small fee to play in an arcade or spend the Japanese equivalent of paying hundreds of dollars to play at home.

You need only look at the business practices of other games s evidence really.

Guilty Gear and Blazblue still have on average a 9 month arcade exclusive period per version. and that's only because the money they stand to make on home versions vs arcade revenue is a little more even than their peers.

Arcade juggernauts like Tekken have an even larger exclusive period because the revenue the generate in arcades is much larger over a longer period of time. The gap between arcade T7 and console will be about two years.

and then there's Gundam vs Gundam, which Bamco has openly expressed that they don't ever plan to bring to console. Multiplayer will be arcade exclusive while home versions will be tangentially related single player versions.

When it comes to arcade vs console it is quite literally an either/or choice. You can't have both and unfortunately for the domestic SF players, Capcom chose the global market and went console.

inner-G

Banned
Wha? You never played against another person while you were at the Arcade?
I have.

And most of the time when I play fighting games at home it is with someone else locally (I have 2 of the same fighting stick for that reason.)

But, if I'm playing solo, I usually just want to run through the arcade mode. I don't care about playing them online.

Tripon

I have.

And most of the time when I play fighting games at home it is with someone else locally (I have 2 of the same fighting stick for that reason.)

But, if I'm playing solo, I usually just want to run through the arcade mode. I don't care about playing them online.

ah, okay.

Good on Namco for doing that, but I wonder how many Japanese Street Fighter players will be willing to switch to a 3D fighter even with that much cash on the line + and arcade version (unless they all decide to play Akuma I guess).

They can try but, historically speaking, SF (and other 2D fighter) players have been total junk at Tekken. Tekken is and always will be dominated by the top Korean players. There's basically no way to catch up to them at this point as they've got something in the region of two decades of experience over any newcomers.

Hutchie

and then there's Gundam vs Gundam, which Bamco has openly expressed that they don't ever plan to bring to console. Multiplayer will be arcade exclusive while home versions will be tangentially related single player versions.

Eh? When did Bamco say maxi boost or maxi boost on wasnt getting a home release? Especially when exvs and full boost got ported

That would actually be worse for Capcom in the long-run. Plus a lot of the current issues are getting fixed next week.

I can appreciate your optimism... but look at how they've "fixed" rage quitting. They've tripped up terrible pretty much during every phase of this game- hard to think next week they magically become competent.

Maybe when capcom puts in the arcade mode in SFV they will release a SFV:Arcade edition update. like SSFIV. Consoles will be updated via DLC and Arcades will get a brand new port.

I can appreciate your optimism... but look at how they've "fixed" rage quitting. They've tripped up terrible pretty much during every phase of this game- hard to think next week they magically become competent.

Actually from various reports in reddit and here after the last maintenance matchmaking has gotten better. People are reporting that they are getting matches faster and getting matched with people somewhat close their rank. Capcom also promising to make the matchmaking even better next week with the story mode update. So who knows we shall see.

Malice215

An arcade release won't be the reason that the Japanese stop playing SFV. They wouldn't be going in hard on SFV now if that was the case.

The only difference between now and next year that I could see occurring if there's no longer $500K to play for in 2017. I hope the money is there for next year but who knows, and Capcom Cup has been the reason why the Japanese have been competing so hard and traveling to these international events. Otherwise they could have stuck with playing USF4 in arcades.

Even if there isn't an arcade release next year, what's their alternative? The majority of these players aren't going to jump to a different fighting game or go backwards while the rest of the world will still be playing SFV. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

An arcade release won't be the reason that the Japanese stop playing SFV. They wouldn't be going in hard on SFV now if that was the case.

The only difference between now and next year that I could see occurring if there's no longer $500K to play for in 2017. I hope the money is there for next year but who knows, and Capcom Cup has been the reason why the Japanese have been competing so hard and traveling to these international events. Otherwise they could have stuck with playing USF4 in arcades.

Even if there isn't an arcade release next year, what's their alternative? The majority of these players aren't going to jump to a different fighting game or go backwards while the rest of the world will still be playing SFV. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

I don't think atleast daigo is not interested in money like that. He donated all his winnings for scholarship from last Capcom Cup.

Gren

So there's a chance SF could become America's game by default?

CPMLZLBWoAEV-nA.png

Hope they figure something out. They've always been an invaluable part of SF's competitive culture.

Why not? It's happened before.

I don't think atleast daigo is not interested in money like that. He donated all his winnings for scholarship from last Capcom Cup.

Daigo has to eat like everyone else.Daigo will be probably be playing SFV this year, next year and the year after that because Daigo is able to make a living off of playing these games and has developed a brand attached to playing these games on a global stage.

I don't think Daigo is talking about Daigo here though. He's talking about the Japanese scene at large which seems to be really stressing itself to play SFV outside of the arcade scene. He's expressing the opinion that without the competition money it wouldn't be worth it and many players would stop playing.

Daigo has to eat like everyone else.Daigo will be probably be playing SFV this year, next year and the year after that because Daigo is able to make a living off of playing these games and has developed a brand attached to playing these games on a global stage.

I don't think Daigo is talking about Daigo here though. He's talking about the Japanese scene at large which seems to be really stressing itself to play SFV outside of the arcade scene. He's expressing the opinion that without the competition money it wouldn't be worth it and many players would stop playing.

true, i think he makes a good amount of money from twitch now, comic book deals etc.

With SF?

When?

People still play third strike in arcades before, during and after SF4's reign, and when it looked like SF was a dead brand inbetween 3 and 4, a lot of those players played other games in the interim.

I think the japanese scene is more beholden to arcades than the Capcom brand and games. For better or worse.

Mr. X

I'd PM a mod to make sure that the change goes through.

That said, I'm curious on if Sony being involved with SFV's development has anything to do with the lack of an arcade release.
Nah, it's just some do console then arcade nowadays since it's a viable option. And arcade boards are expensive as fuck, moreso in a declining arcade market. Maybe if a nescia or any other multiple game cab release is viable.

Mr. X

Daigo has a career as a nurse, twitch ambassador, royalties from a book, a manga currently in rotation.

He's doing better than anyone else by a long shot. SFV falling off wouldn't matter much to his finances.

Daigo has a career as a nurse, twitch ambassador, royalties from a book, a manga currently in rotation.

He's doing better than anyone else by a long shot.

I'm not saying he needs the money, I'm saying he has more obligations to and opportunities through playing the latest street fighter than....just about any other player alive.

The absence of Capcom Cup isn't likely to change that for him.

Everyone else in Japan is playing for competition. Because they have the ability to grab that money that's on the table. When that money isn't on the table though will they still play? That's the question Daigo is answering here and he doesn't seem to think most will.

Mr. X

I'm not saying he needs the money, I'm saying he has more obligations to and opportunities through playing the latest street fighter than....just about any other player alive.

The absence of Capcom Cup isn't likely to change that for him.

Everyone else in Japan is playing for competition. Because they have the ability to grab that money that's on the table. When that money isn't on the table though will they still play? That's the question Daigo is answering here and he doesn't seem to think most will.
Gambling is illegal in Japan, they don't have big money prizes. Winning overseas they lose a lot of it taking it home. So, not really to non factor in regards to the money bit.

He's saying no arcade scene will hurt SFV Japan because they don't have that spot to compete. Apartments are small, gatherings are less frequent, an arcade you just go to it any time. That accessibility is missing and netplay isn't like offline ever. These arcade players are just to go back to whatever is at their home arcade.

Offline console scenes existed for SCV and MvC3 so he might be half right when next year comes.

Gren

Gambling is illegal in Japan, they don't have big money prizes. Winning overseas they lose a lot of it taking it home. So, not really to non factor in regards to the money bit.

These are games of skill though, right (unless they have a different definition of gambling)?

Plus, I'm pretty sure Tekken gives out substantial cash prizes in Japan. I remember during the Akuma reveal that some cosplayer was handing out giant novelty checks or something.

I wasn't saying it was their primary reason for playing fighting games

Just saying that according to Daigo it seems like the biggest reason they continue to play SFV

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF

He's doing better than anyone else by a long shot. SFV falling off wouldn't matter much to his finances.
Daigo's a nurse?

Slightly off topic: but the game+season pass bundle is 60 dollars now. But looking at top sellers list man SFV is not doing good..maybe the discount should have been larger. 39.99 for the bindle maybe pushed some copies. Or maybe the interest in this game is just dying out :(. I hope my boy daigo is wrong this time. And Japan fgc supports the game. Because as of now it's hard to find anything positive associated with this game....

Even if V continues to decline in Japan, it'll still be played across the world. Honestly, I never liked the idea of V not having an Arcade release despite them being irrelevant here in the US. I just always thought it was natural for a SF to have an Arcade release before being ported to console.

I dunno how I feel about this game anymore. I can honestly say this is the first time I've ever lost any desire to play a SF game so quickly. SF2 series? Loved it. Alpha games? Loved it. SF3 series? Loved it. SFEX series? Loved it. SF4 series? Loved it. But I'll be honest and admit I wasn't that crazy about Vanilla.

I really hope V will start doing better the more it's updated. As it is, I just don't really find the game that fun.

Nocturno999

Slightly off topic: but the game+season pass bundle is 60 dollars now. But looking at top sellers list man SFV is not doing good..maybe the discount should have been larger. 39.99 for the bindle maybe pushed some copies. Or maybe the interest in this game is just dying out :(. I hope my boy daigo is wrong this time. And Japan fgc supports the game. Because as of now it's hard to find anything positive associated with this game....

These posts and threads like yours doesn't help at all either.

Wild Card

Is it just me or has the hate surronding the game actually gotten more intense as time has passed? Like usually all the outrage happens at the beginning and peters out, but when I look at all the discussion around SFV, it's all so negative and mocking and your #8frames memes, it's like the hate is festering or something, I dunno.

Is it just me or has the hate surronding the game actually gotten more intense as time has passed? Like usually all the outrage happens at the beginning and peters out, but when I look at all the discussion around SFV, it's all so negative and mocking and your #8frames memes, it's like the hate is festering or something, I dunno.

because lot of people (millions upon millions) like this franchise. And most of them I would say a good 75% don't care about playing online. From a SF game they expect the modes they usually always get. Which wasn't present in SFV. Therefore it was hated like that imo. Most franchise that get hate are usually not loved worldwide like SF. When for a lot of people their beloved franchise treats them as "Second class" consumers they will obviously get upset. And it shows...

Wild Card

because lot of people (millions upon millions) like this franchise. And most of them I would say a good 75% don't care about playing online. From a SF game they expect the modes they usually always get. Which wasn't present in SFV. Therefore it was hated like that imo. Most franchise that get hate are usually not loved worldwide like SF. When for a lot of people their beloved franchise treats them as "Second class" consumers they will obviously get upset. And it shows...

Well to add on to the pile, is there a company better at upsetting and upending the fanbases the Capcom? I'd love to hear them.

cordy

Banned
Pookgo said he's debating about leaving SF forever and being an Akuma player in T7, he's looking for the best Tekken players in Korea so man, there might be a shift.

Top Bottom