• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ono confirms more SFV content on the way

Nymphae

Banned
I posted this in the new character reveal thread, but new news, new thread. Via Eventhubs:

Yoshinori Ono announced following the release of the official character trailers that he will be missing out on EVO finals this weekend, but left us with the confirmation that Street Fighter 5 still has more on the way.

"I appreciate your concern," said Ono in his English tweet. "Blanka is preparing himself for when he has presentation E Honda at #SFVAE #EVO2019 Final. Unfortunately, Hey please change your clothes. I’m really irritated and sad. But Blanka’s Pocket is growing for next! Look forward to it."

"The SF5 development team is still currently working on new things for the game," said Ono in his Japanese response translated by EventHubs. "Please look forward to the next time we are able to present."

As for when those new developments may show up, it still remains up in the air though the likely candidate would be at Capcom Cup 2019 in December. If we're really lucky, however, maybe Capcom will include some sort of teaser at EVO this weekend — seems like a pretty slim chance at this point though.

I'm hoping this means new V-Skills and Supers, though it's likely there will be a least another character or two.

The Eventhubs article I posted in the other thread, titled "Someone on Twitter correctly predicted Street Fighter 5's three new characters a week ago and now says more fighters are inbound", has been removed for some reason. This was the article content I had posted:

On July 25th, 2019, a Twitter user by the name of Sir Arthur sent out a tweet about the EVO 2019 finals and the Street Fighter 5 reveal expected to drop there. They specifically mentioned E. Honda, Lucia, and Poison, saying they'll lose their... mind if those fighters are announced.

"I can’t wait for evo 2019," Sir Arthur wrote. "Especially the street fighter 5 tournament. If I see a Lucia, Poison and Honda announced. I’m gonna lose my s***!"

At around 6 p.m. yesterday evening, following the leaks, the Twitter user sent out another tweet making note of a "Winter bundle" expected to launch at a later time. As we now know, E. Honda, Poison, and Lucia are being sold as the "Summer bundle," meaning that if what this person says is true, we could be seeing another set of characters by the end of this year.

Arthur responded to a Twitter user asking which other characters will be coming in Street Fighter 5 Season 4. Though not said outright, the hint given definitely seems to point to Street Fighter 3's Oro.

"You heard of the fighter who has 2 arms? But uses one," Sir Arthur hinted.

Those are some pretty spot on predictions about Lucia, Poison, and Honda, so perhaps Oro is waiting in the wings?

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Have official CAPCOM annoucements ever outpaced the leaks? Glad there's more content on the way. I've owned the digital version of SFV since launch, but I'd love to buy an all-in-one physical version at the end of the generation.

Gimme dat Ultra Super Street Fighter V Arcade: Complete Edition. :messenger_weary: :messenger_ok:

I hope we get that as well. I'm not buying any extra characters with cash until I know if that's coming or not.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I hope we get that as well. I'm not buying any extra characters with cash until I know if that's coming or not.
In fairness to CAPCOM, I like how they've gradually rolled out free stuff to existing owners (like me). I think the biggest one was when Arcade came out and the existing owners got all the previous characters. I haven't purchased any characters with real cash. Logging in to see all the updates and additions is nice.

Wish they offered a similar level of goodwill to the customers who purchased MvC: I :lollipop_sad_relieved:

Javthusiast

Banned
I'm also hoping for if not sf6 then bigger sfv game changes, rather than just new characters again. Hoping this new thing Ono talks about will be announced at capcup then.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I just want a SF that happens after 3 and that the dlc bullshit stops.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think we're ever going to see a major fighting game again that doesn't have DLC.
Yes
I'm thinking more among the lines of

DLC for costumes/colors that you used to unlock in games like Tekken
Stages
Music
Game modes ect
Also, no currency in which you have to grind as bad as current SF5 or MK

I don't think we're ever going to see a major fighting game again that doesn't have DLC.

Unfortunately, I bet you are correct. Next generation, we will probably have to buy fighting games in individual pieces like a fast food meal or something. I like SF5, but I will admit that I’m hoping to at least see SF6 by early generation as unrealistic as that sounds.

Have official CAPCOM annoucements ever outpaced the leaks? Glad there's more content on the way. I've owned the digital version of SFV since launch, but I'd love to buy an all-in-one physical version at the end of the generation.

Gimme dat Ultra Super Street Fighter V Arcade: Complete Edition. :messenger_weary: :messenger_ok:
This is what I tend to do for fighting games now. Still salty about the gimped KI "definitive" edition.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Unfortunately, I bet you are correct. Next generation, we will probably have to buy fighting games in individual pieces like a fast food meal or something. I like SF5, but I will admit that I’m hoping to at least see SF6 by early generation as unrealistic as that sounds.
60 dollar game with eh 9 characters a "free" one if you pre-order
6 stages, 4 different costumes for each character and 2 of them are only available thru circuit city?
ehhh day one season pass for 3 characters every 7 months
SF6 ps5 launch title

VertigoOA

Banned
I haven’t played this in like over a year. Can’t say anything bad about sfv... it’s just that last gen was the big 2d Fighter revival so don’t care as much.

I still don’t understand why they didn’t put the base game as f2p. I prefer the model over the last 25 years of how it’s been done but it still needs work.

And put it on Xbox already. Having it exclusive hurts the genre.

Street Fighter was essentially the very first games as a service. Except back then they were 70$ every six months. Capcom still hasn’t figured it out :/

PS - I see killer instinct is finally available in its complete form on gamespass. I’m about to travel back to 1998 today. Looking forward to it... that soundtrack was great

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I personally like the season pass approach for fighters. Beats the shit out of having separate releases that split the player base like the three versions of SF4 or having games limited to launch rosters that were no where near the size these games end up at (Smash Bros aside). I much prefer getting one game and a few seasons of extra characters etc each generation.

Fighting games are pretty niche these days. If you want AAA production values and large, balanced rosters it’s either $60 games with yearly passes (and individual character purchasing options of course) or an F2P approach like Killer Instinct. Otherwise theres little financial reason for AAA devs to bother with the genre vs other genres that sell way more copies.

Elcid

Banned
I personally like the season pass approach for fighters. Beats the shit out of having separate releases that split the player base like the three versions of SF4 or having games limited to launch rosters that were no where near the size these games end up at (Smash Bros aside). I much prefer getting one game and a few seasons of extra characters etc each generation.

Fighting games are pretty niche these days. If you want AAA production values and large, balanced rosters it’s either $60 games with yearly passes (and individual character purchasing options of course) or an F2P approach like Killer Instinct. Otherwise theres little financial reason for AAA devs to bother with the genre vs other genres that sell way more copies.
^ exactly. I don't want to buy a complete edition let me just keep adding to my current game now.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
All of you arguing over SF6 when what we really need is another Alpha.

Alpha was informed by the CAPCOM non-SF fighters, and in turn Alpha influenced them back. We need an Alpha built in its own engine and then they can bring back more Vs games using that same engine.

KiteGr

I've bought this thing when it came and paid full price for it.
The before, during and post lauch censorship normally would had been enough to kill all hype for me. Add the complete lack of content and and the freemium model of updates that required ridiculous grind unlock a single character without paying, and I've sold this fucker without second thought.

Now the only way they can convince me to rebuy it is if they release some retail complete edition, and I can't see that happening any time soon.

yurinka

According to data mining in addition to the 3 characters, stage and characters to be released today, there are 2 characters more, more stages and costumes coming somewhere in the future for this season 4. And a season 5 is coming too.

that required ridiculous grind unlock a single character without paying
Lies. To unlock more than half a dozen characters (a season pass) in less than 10 hours of normal play in very easy, easy or normal difficulty is very generous. Specially considering that when you get a new character it means that you also get an additional source of in-game currancy.

Once you pass that point it's more difficult to earn in-game currency, but at least you have the option of unlocking them for free, unlike in Tekken, MK, DBZ, or in the previous SF games where you had to buy the DLC or the full game to get the extra characters.

SFV FM system is the most generous system to get post launch characters, game modes, etc. that any fighting game ever had, the one where you have to spend less money to get the new stuff and also the one where you aren't leave behind with new game updates because instead of being a new game paywall here the new gameplay mechanics, game modes, gameplay rebalances, etc. are free for everyone so all players from both platforms play together in a single community even if they didn't buy the most recent stuff.

I still don’t understand why they didn’t put the base game as f2p. I prefer the model over the last 25 years of how it’s been done but it still needs work.

And put it on Xbox already. Having it exclusive hurts the genre.
As you can see in my previous reply, most people don't accept changes if they are for the better. They complain because something that in the past was paid and now we get it for free or we can get it by paying or unlocking it.

To turn SFV into GaaS it has been a change that many people didn't accept very well and would have been even worse if it has been F2P. If they continue adding content like costumes, colors, stages, music tracks, titles, characters, etc it will reach a point where they will have enough content to be -maybe- a profitable F2P, in the past they didn't have enough purchasable stuff to do it.

Regarding the console exclusivity, when developing SFV Capcom was in a very bad financial shape so Sony paid Capcom part of the development, the USFIV PS4 port and put a huge amount of money for Capcom Pro Tour in exchange of console exclusivity for at least this entire gen including SFV and all its possible updates that may appear in the future (SFVAE, SSFV, USFV, etc.).

Thanks to the big success of many games in this generation like MHW, RE7, RE2, DMCV, etc. now Capcom is in a great financial shape, so they don't need money.

Hope to see Bruce Lee Fei Long soon.
I been waiting to buy SF V forfFie Long
Seems that he won't be included this Season. But Poison doesn't have rekkas and Karin only can use it when a specific VTrigger is activated so seems very likely that they plan to release a rekka focused character in the future, and I personally that the best fit for that role would be Fei Long.

Last edited:
Top Bottom