• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition adds E. Honda, Lucia, and Poison on August 4

iconmaster

Banned
They've been making him look more and more mannish as time has gone on.

giphy.gif

SF6 made by ArcSysWorks with DBFZ graphics. I would commit crimes to play it
The animation would be terrible in comparison to what we have in SFV, so I'll pass. Arc makes great looking games, but they don't look that good in motion. The Naruto games even look better in that regard, from what I remember anyway. It's been years since I've seen one.
Those socks are ugly as fuck.

Who's her, by the way? I assumed a new character, but she seems to be known.
Final Fight 3 character.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
That's just how SFV rolls. Very few characters actually got good redesigns.
Yeah, I noticed. I always mained Akuma, and I HATE WITH A BURNING PASSION his redesign.

SFV really dropped the ball on artistic direction. Weird, since SFIV was pretty damn good in that regard.

I guess some low tier artist thought something like "HEY GUYS, LET'S CHANGE SOMETHING PERFECT ALREADY JUST FOR THE SAKE OF CHANGE!!1!"

And how did they fuck her up this bad on SFV?

8376678.png

Yeah. They at least have the costume available (At an additional charge, of course) but they really should have kept her tough demeanor look.

Now she's this:
XgT7hzH.jpg

Hard to believe this was the same artist too. How things change. =/

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I noticed. I always mained Akuma, and I HATE WITH A BURNING PASSION his redesign.

SFV really dropped the ball on artistic direction. Weird, since SFIV was pretty damn good in that regard.

I guess some low tier artist thought something like "HEY GUYS, LET'S CHANGE SOMETHING PERFECT ALREADY JUST FOR THE SAKE OF CHANGE!!1!"
Akuma looks better in Tekken.

Cope

kunonabi

I think it's a fairly mixed bag, but honestly most of them look better than they did in 4.

The SFIV in-game models were rough but as far as actual character designs go I'd have to disagree. SFV does a lot of tinkering for the sake of tinkering which rarely works out well. The redesigns for characters whose previous designs were from Alpha, 3S, or other 2D sources fare even worse.

Last edited:
Thinking again to Akuma, I'm prone to believe this is a deliberate design choice to push people to buy alt costumes.

Definitely a marketing ploy to make more money. Why else would they deliberately cover up or censor a character as much as possible in the default outfit and release the more reveling/classic/wanted outfits as paid dlc?

I guess I'll give my two cents in this underwhelming announcement. E. Honda should have been in the base roster, but I'm glad he's back regardless, I'm just not sure I would pay for him though. Lucia I just have to ask why? There's enough blondes as is, Falke was underwhelming when she was released as was Kolin, this mixture of Ken or Cody in a female body seems like a waste for a more unique character. Poison looks good, but the face scares me, also I would've preferred Roxy for a change, but whatever.

Last edited:

Barnabot

So when those char are gonna be available for free trial? I've tried to check the game today and I got nothing.

Nymphae

Banned
The SFIV in-game models were rough but as far as actual character designs go I'd have to disagree. SFV does a lot of tinkering for the sake of tinkering which rarely works out well. The redesigns for characters whose previous designs were from Alpha, 3S, or other 2D sources fare even worse.

I don't know, I quite like the models of Ryu, Chun, Cammy, Bison, Balrog, Vega, Dhalsim, Karin, Juri, Mika, Gief, Guile, Urien, Sagat, and the new Honda looks pretty great. To me personally these are all way better looking than they were in 4. I think Akuma was a poor redesign, and Ken's face looks like ass but I think they did a great job on his redesign, differentiating between him and Ryu finally without just using colour. Honestly the only outright failures to me in the whole thing are Akuma (just use the classic costume), Ed and Falke.

So when those char are gonna be available for free trial? I've tried to check the game today and I got nothing.

Thread title has the release date.

Last edited:

Elcid

Banned
Yeah. They at least have the costume available (At an additional charge, of course) but they really should have kept her tough demeanor look.

Now she's this:
XgT7hzH.jpg

Hard to believe this was the same artist too. How things change. =/
What are you talking about? She looks awesome now. She looked too boyish before.

Nymphae

Banned
Someone on Twitter correctly predicted Street Fighter 5's three new characters a week ago and now says more fighters are inbound

On July 25th, 2019, a Twitter user by the name of Sir Arthur sent out a tweet about the EVO 2019 finals and the Street Fighter 5 reveal expected to drop there. They specifically mentioned E. Honda, Lucia, and Poison, saying they'll lose their... mind if those fighters are announced.

"I can’t wait for evo 2019," Sir Arthur wrote. "Especially the street fighter 5 tournament. If I see a Lucia, Poison and Honda announced. I’m gonna lose my s***!"

At around 6 p.m. yesterday evening, following the leaks, the Twitter user sent out another tweet making note of a "Winter bundle" expected to launch at a later time. As we now know, E. Honda, Poison, and Lucia are being sold as the "Summer bundle," meaning that if what this person says is true, we could be seeing another set of characters by the end of this year.

Arthur responded to a Twitter user asking which other characters will be coming in Street Fighter 5 Season 4. Though not said outright, the hint given definitely seems to point to Street Fighter 3's Oro.

"You heard of the fighter who has 2 arms? But uses one," Sir Arthur hinted.

Maybe Oro and others incoming later this year?

Last edited:
Rose & Crimson Viper according to X-kira

Im hearing Oro is the next character. I'd be happy if thats true.

I can't get over how meh Lucia is. Like do they not have enough blondes on the roster? Ok it's not like there are half a dozen blonde white chicks, but still, in this image I had to look twice to make sure she wasn't Cammy or Kolin in different outfits. I feel like this character really should have been one of the more popular characters people have been asking for - Rose, Viper, Makoto, etc.

I can understand where you are coming from, but Im just happy to get one character I like the look of - vertical stripes on her leggings aside.
Viper would've been an interesting addition, especially if she was a high execution character - like in SF4. Pro's could wow us with her, like Sako does with Menat.

GAMETA

Banned

Not what I meant, I'm fine with that too, the comment was about you saying her face was "fucked up", and what I meant is: maybe they went for a more masculine face structure on purpose, because "isn't she hermaphrodite/trans?".

But to be honest, I'd prefer Poison's face over Kolin's any day.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Not what I meant, I'm fine with that too, the comment was about you saying her face was "fucked up", and what I meant is: maybe they went for a more masculine face structure on purpose, because "isn't she hermaphrodite/trans?".

But to be honest, I'd prefer Poison's face over Kolin's any day.

I'll still never understand capcom ruining Kolin's face for her playable model.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Ibuki, Mika and Karin didn't get the best visual treatment they could've as well.

Ibuki isnt so bad with her mask on but yeah they obviously didnt spend much time on her because she's frightening with it off. Sakura has a similar problem with her shoulders.

Fuz

Banned
No, she's not.

kunonabi

I may be one of the few that really loves what they did with Poison.

Now he/she feels a lot more linked with his nature, while at the same time being really femenine and sexy, so 😌

I wouldnt go as far to say feminine and sexy but it makes sense for the character. Those under shorts in the story costume dont but Capcom being consistent just isnt a thing anymore.

Aranea

Valve made an apology for the leak of these characters.

Javthusiast

Banned
Valve made an apology for the leak of these characters.

Will Gaben commit sudoku with one of his knives? xD

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
https://streetfighter.fandom.com/wiki/Poison

Poison and Roxy were originally planned to be female. however, cause of an issue on the idea of making female characters take part in a beat em up game the developers went with the idea of making them transgender. when the game was ported onto the SNES in 1991, Poison and Roxy were replaced with two male thugs named Billy and Sid for the American release. It can be seen in concept art for Poison that she was referred to as "ニューハーフ" (roughly translated as "newhalf"), a largely derogatory Japanese term equivalent to "shemale".

A later appearance by Poison as playable character in Final Fight Revenge, an American-produced 3D fighting game spinoff of Final Fight, portrayed the character in a highly feminine manner and had her romantically interested in Cody. Commentary about her ending in the game in All About Capcom suggested that the character might have gotten sex reassignment surgery. The Final Fight-related character profiles featured in the 2005 compilation Capcom Classics Collection acknowledges Poison's transgender characterization, although it confuses transgender people with transvestites, addressing Roxy as a female who dislikes Poison's crossdressing.

The discrepancy regarding Poison has been addressed more than once in interviews with former and current Capcom employees. Final Fight designer and Arika founder Akira Nishitani stated he supposed the character could be male, but added it was up to the viewer to decide. Street Fighter IV producer Yoshinori Ono, when asked in an interview about the matter, stated "Let's set the record straight: in North America, Poison is officially post-op transgender. But in Japan, she simply tucks her business away to look female." He later emphasized it again when asked about what female characters could be included in the game Street Fighter IV, stating that it would be too confusing to include her due to the region-specific gender. Since then, however, he has changed his mind twice, first declaring her a definite post-op in all regions for better ease of localization and consistency with past official statements, and then later deciding that it's best to leave it up to the fans after all.

On July 10, 2014, Akira Nishitani he later clarified in a discussion on Twitter that in his personal view Poison is a woman.

Top Bottom