• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daigo unsure if SFV will still be played in Japan next year due to no arcade release.

A lot of people seem to miss how different the Japanese fighting game scene is to the rest of the world. They build a whole lot out of nothing as long as they can put it in an arcade. You can't put a console in an arcade, and there hasn't been a need for meet up spots elsewhere so it's slow goings until those places pop up and gain traction.

The obvious exceptions are the players that transitioned into international competition during SF4. Those guys will hang around, but without a younger gen coming after there will be problems. Probably the types of problems Daigo is talking about. Getting new people right now is actually extremely difficult, taking arcades out of the equation makes it next to impossible.

it explains why daigo lately has been making an effort to promote and organize tournaments himself

The idea that any other Fighting Game would "take over" is really silly at this point.

People don't understand that the people who are into those games are already playing it. A large population of players will not migrate just because one game is dead. They usually only move on to the next iteration of the series or game style (like how the MK community went from MK9 to Injustice to MK10 or how MVC2 players moved on to MVC3). I like both Guilty Gear and Street Fighter 5, I entered both of them for Evo and I know many people who like both games do the same. If SF5 dies, I'm not jumping to KI or something, I'm just gonna stick with what I play.

Dahbomb

Wouldn't both of those be wrong?
Depends on how you define popularity.

Tekken 3 might have had the biggest sales but the biggest Tekken events came quite a bit after Tekken 3.

SF2 might be the best selling SF game across all its versions but SFV at EVO is going to be the largest ever SF tournament.

Depends on how you define popularity.

Tekken 3 might have had the biggest sales but the biggest Tekken events came quite a bit after Tekken 3.

SF2 might be the best selling SF game across all its versions but SFV at EVO is going to be the largest ever SF tournament.

I was speaking as it pertained to sales but yeah those are both right. I was thinking Tekken 5 sold the most in the series for some reason. Probably when it was most popular competitively.

People don't understand that the people who are into those games are already playing it. A large population of players will not migrate just because one game is dead. They usually only move on to the next iteration of the series or game style (like how the MK community went from MK9 to Injustice to MK10 or how MVC2 players moved on to MVC3). I like both Guilty Gear and Street Fighter 5, I entered both of them for Evo and I know many people who like both games do the same. If SF5 dies, I'm not jumping to KI or something, I'm just gonna stick with what I play.

Pretty much. No one community truly replaces another or migrates to another. Its pretty much a flux.

thelastword

Banned
For those who are curious, Street Fighter V capped out at around 22k viewers yesterday. And just to be clear, the actual SFV tournament won't start until later today.

Just something to consider before you all try to turn NeoGAF into EventHubs 2.0.
Exactly, people are really trying to prove how unpopular this game is. KI has been out since launch on XB1 with consistent updates, it's now on PC as well and there are more people playing and interested in SFV everyday online. More people are playing SFV over MK as well, every single day, despite MK selling much much more. People fail to realize that SF has staying power. When Capcom improves the game in June and beyond, more people will buy it, more people will watch it too.

Despite the game being a very nice one to play, it's also very nice to spectate the matches... SF5's main problem is the online stuff, like matchmaking, quality of connections, ragequitting.... The 8 frames of lag can always be fixed after EVO.

And SF peaked in popularity with SF2 28 years ago.
Wrong, how many people went to watch/play tournaments like they did for SF4 and SFV. Couple that with the almost 70k who watch these tournaments at peak. That peak number may be higher as well.

KingBroly

Banned
Wrong, how many people went to watch/play tournaments like they did for SF4 and SFV. Couple that with the almost 70k who watch these tournaments at peak. That peak number may be higher as well.

If you think Tournaments and viewership are the mark of a competitive game's peak, you are sorely mistaken.

lupinko

As someone who took up Tekken seriously for the first time last year with Tekken 7, yes Tekken is a way harder game than Street Fighter. The learning curve was even harder for me coming from a 2D background. I played 3D fighters but never really seriously (okay maybe SC2), and I was in for a rude awakening.

I'm enjoying SFV a lot since I've bought my PS4 finally 4 days ago, but I still think Tekken 7 is a better game. It's rainy season now here in Sendai, so SFV and PS4 make a good rainy day thing for me as opposed to going to the arcade.

I can't wait for Fated Retribution come July 5.

Im surprised they didnt just ask sony to make one like system 265 previously but based on ps4 soc or even AMD directly to make one. An arcade release a long side eith ps4 makes more sense business wise for sony than allowing capcom to release a pc version if you ask me. Even when arcade scene is dead in the west.

The last time Capcom asked someone to do that was with arcade SFIV pre-Nesica/Ultra.

You know think current Capcom is horrible at business decisions for console and mobile gaming? The stunt they pulled for SFIV in Japan basically killed the scene there with arcade operators.

That doesn't even include how Super never came to arcades either until Arcade Edition. If it wasn't for the diehard big names like Daigo and company, Street Fighter basically died with SFIV.

There needs to be an arcade version.

Top Bottom