• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daily Beast: President Trump Turned International Diplomacy Into A Fistfight—And Lost

Spladam

We never really recovered from the disastrous foreign policy of the preceding Republican administration and this shit head has put the nail into the proverbial coffin.
We have not yet reached the "nail in the coffin". If Trump decides to invade another country, they the U.S. would be moving pretty damn close. Still waiting for his "secret plan" to defeat ISIS.
As a European, I think when/if the time comes and we have to activate the fifth, US will abandon us. I don't trust Trump but more than anything, I don't trust the stability of US politics. They could very well chose another Trump to "lead the free world".
I highly doubt the us will neglect it's duties to it's allies when the time comes, it might take the U.S. some delayed time to act, but there are a lot of leadership in that are that is not Trump, and the Department of Defense and the Intelligence agencies and the Joint Cheifs of staff have a lot of pull in that, and if it came to that, it would likely be a scenario where it was partly in the U.S. own self interest to act.
He's like that crazy uncle that does those mean painful tricks as "jokes".
Drunk crazy uncle. To him, they are not jokes though, they are highly effective techniques in his 5th dimensional chess arsenal. He thinks they work.
Jesus christ....
B3vj7fr.gif

Holy Shit. I didn't even know about this. Is it on purpose? Can we really know? It was towards the Italian PM apparently.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Bush Jr. wanted to lead, he just wasn't very good at it. Trump official stance is USA! Feck anyone else!

Ethelwulf

Holy Shit. I didn't even know about this. Is it on purpose? Can we really know? It was towards the Italian PM apparently.

True. This is how he always gets away :( He is so evidently disrespectful that we always end up thinking, "is this on purpose? No way..." This is not news because this is Trump and we are used to it, which is sad and frightening.

The USA has been owned so bad by Russia

This. We're witnessing the most successful influence/psyops campaign in modern history disintegrating alliances and principles that have stood for decades in favor of Russian interests.

Others will want to perpetuate and build on this proven strategy. It's not going away.

This. We're witnessing the most successful influence/psyops campaign in modern history disintegrating alliances and principles that have stood for decades in favor of Russian interests.

Others will want to perpetuate and build on this proven strategy. It's not going away.

Yeah, man. It really feels like the world is done in certain respects. We had a good run, society!

Yeah, man. It really feels like the world is done in certain respects. We had a good run, society!

Nah, it's grim but I think governments and security services will adapt new doctrines to handle this threat. They're slow and conservative movers (a lot of the old guard can't wrap their heads around commercial social media being a psyops force multiplier) but will get there when they feel the pressure. France and the Netherlands gave it their all during recent elections and it can mitigate the damage.

Nah, it's grim but I think governments and security services will adapt new doctrines to handle this threat. They're slow and conservative movers (a lot of the old guard can't wrap their heads around commercial social media being a psyops force multiplier) but will get there when they feel the pressure. France and the Netherlands gave it their all during recent elections and it can mitigate the damage.

Would like to hear more specifically about this.

Mumei

And it's being presented as "America First" and being abetted by the party that marketed itself as tough on Russia.

I'm not as sanguine. For the U.S. political system to give its all, the Republican Party would need to be on board. Republicans have already repeatedly demonstrated their cravenness; I don't see much reason to hope that they'll behave better in 2020 when faced with the opportunity to deflect claims of Russian support for their candidate. And without that, the validity of the propaganda becomes a bog-standard "Left vs Right" issue, guaranteeing its embrace by a large swathe of the electorate.

I would like to be convinced, though, so feel free to try and make me feel better. <_<

Apt101

It is remarkably sad what has happened to this country. Trump as president is the shining symbol of how far we have fallen.

I don't even know what to do. Nearly half of the electorate are gleefully throwing the future away for some kind of toxic emotional assurance, and remain willfully ignorant.

I feel good knowing that I at least do my part. I vote, I donate, I write sober letters to Congress. What else can we do?

Spladam

This post is a scary thought BrassDragon.
Obama Photographer Pete Souza's Art of the Trump Shade
This was a fun article, might be worthy of it's own thread. Sum's up the contrast between POTUS 44 and POTUS 45 in pictures. Donald's base likes him BECAUSE he's a douche-bag I think.

oti

Banned
I can't wait to see the US news shows talk about this. Morning Joe will go ballistic, Maddow will look at the camera shaking her head and screaming internally, Fox and Friends will criticise Merkel for drinking beer.

Jintor

trumpmacronshake_d34130f589e0619c92cab68bc867fc9c.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.gif

I bet Donald thinks this is so clever, like some secret technique that he can write about in a book (have someone else write about) one day. His "power handshake". He really does not know how transparent he is, and THAT is fucking crazy scary.

Besides the fact that it looks fucking ridiculous. "I pull them in real close with my manly power, and then they respect me". What. A. Joke.

i really hope someone just judo flips him one day

from the title I thought he got into an actual fist fight with another world leader lol

edit:

He's only going to be president for like 3 more years at most. Can he really do that much damage in a short time?

Yes.

Because even if we have the best president ever for 8 years after Trump, why would our allies trust us to not put in another stooge after that?

Vena

Yes.

Because even if we have the best president ever for 8 years after Trump, why would our allies trust us to not put in another stooge after that?

If we had the best president for 8 years after Trump's, lets say 4, large swathes of the Republican base could be dead by then from either old age or being ground into irrelevancy by economic factors. Further, more young people would become voting capable. The Republican party as a whole is a dying beast, and you can tell this because even Fox will slowly move away from the radicalized nonsense as the kids take over from the dinosaur at the helm.

The amount of reform and reversing Trump's idiocy would be high and probably difficult but it's not as hopeless as many of you are eager to paint everything.

Far too much of this country remains progressive and economic centers are thriving (keeping the country globally relevant) while Republican experiments like Oklahoma and Kansas are destroying their states.

from the title I thought he got into an actual fist fight with another world leader lol

edit:

He's only going to be president for like 3 more years at most. Can he really do that much damage in a short time?

Look at how fast he destroyed 8 years of Obama legacy of De-evilizing Muslims...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The Republican party as a whole is a dying beast

A guy who assaulted a journalist was just elected. I think you're ignoring how the whole republican party is slowly shifting towards extreme and how much impact the religion and its impact on education has on younger people in some areas of US. There are a lot of young nazis alt right occupying the American political scene these days. These are not going anywhere anytime soon.

sirap

Trump is no different than the drunken, obnoxious tourists and expats I see stumbling around Asia, spouting racists bullshit while remaining completely oblivious to why locals hate them.

Vena

A guy who assaulted a journalist was just elected. I think you're ignoring how the whole republican party is slowly shifting towards extreme and how much impact the religion and its impact on education has on younger people in some areas of US. There are a lot of young nazis alt right occupying the American political scene these days. These are not going anywhere anytime soon.

That race was decided long before the bodyslam.

Would like to hear more specifically about this.

Broadly speaking, effective counter-measures are:
- Hardening political parties, activist and media organisations against direct hacking, with both technical measures and social engineering awareness and encouraging analogue/face-to-face communication over email or, worse, IM apps. On rare occasions, using white hat hackers to disrupt enemy operations.
- Prompt counter-narratives on social media when fake news pops up and moving the viral flow towards repeating the debunking post rather than the OP
- High priority surveillance of citizens / organisations in close contact with nations seeking to influence elections and running interference (e.g. reducing subsidies, revealing awareness to foreign embassies etc.) This is a resource/manpower thing - until recently, these activities weren't seen as particularly threatening so it's important that policymakers acknowledge the existential threat of these operations to their national security and social cohesion.

But we've only JUST managed to pivot our European security apparatus to deal with terrorism and even there, we still have costly failures. No idea how it is in the US but over here, the cyber/social media aspect is it's own isolated thing in the eyes of many policy makers (even though ISIS is essentially using cyber psyops to recruit people/reframe its crimes) - personally feel it's going to take us a while to integrate all the above measures.

Outside of the government, I really want commercial organisations like Google and Facebook to step the fuck up and stop hired guns from profiting off the views/ads that come with viral fake news - having all these mercenary botnets in play makes stopping fake news even more difficult.

Fritz

I had posted this in the latest Merkel thread but it just shows how his "grand tour" marks a turning point in the rest of the wests rethoric.

A Danger to the World (Spiegel)

It's brutally frank imho.

Also I would totally second the notion from that article: USA, you have to get rid of him!

If we had the best president for 8 years after Trump's, lets say 4, large swathes of the Republican base could be dead by then from either old age or being ground into irrelevancy by economic factors. .

That's what people have been saying for 25 years.

All the GOP has to do is put up a less incompetent less blatant version of Trump and they could be back in the white house lickety split.

I almost miss the days when the GOP were just your average bible thumping cunts. At least they seemed honest about their insanity.

Edit: Also until proven otherwise never underestimate the half assed incompetence of the DNC and their ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

I could easily see a less shitty Trump and some center right worthless fuck of a DNC candidate in 2024 leading to the lowest presidential turnout by % in 50+ years.

Vena

That's what people have been saying for 25 years.

I mean, that more or less has been happening. They had to radicalize to remain in control and many Democrats or progressives had to be, in effect, propaganda-ed out of voting. Moreover the populace is still largely swinging against them by millions and only archaic systems and gerrymandering are keeping them in any form of control nowadays.

These are not long term tenable.

trumpmacronshake_d34130f589e0619c92cab68bc867fc9c.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.gif

I bet Donald thinks this is so clever, like some secret technique that he can write about in a book (have someone else write about) one day. His "power handshake". He really does not know how transparent he is, and THAT is fucking crazy scary.

Besides the fact that it looks fucking ridiculous. "I pull them in real close with my manly power, and then they respect me". What. A. Joke.

I mean is Hillary still just as bad? I assume she AT LEAST knows how to shake a hand?

Does Ivanka/Melania wipe his ass after he takes a dump?

Oersted

Exactly.

Jeez, I thought it was just another case of him being a blowhard (like his "handshakes"), but now it reads like a blatant display for Daddy Putin.

Are there any Donald actions where the motivations don't narrow down to

A) Dumb Asshole

or

B) Putin's Puppet

?

I mean, that more or less has been happening. They had to radicalize to remain in control and many Democrats or progressives had to be, in effect, propaganda-ed out of voting. Moreover the populace is still largely swinging against them by millions and only archaic systems and gerrymandering are keeping them in any form of control nowadays.

These are not long term tenable.

All it would take is some more blatant voter suppression, a less shit Trump, and the DNC to continue not giving a fuck about anyone who isn't dirt poor/a rich corp donor and the GOP will be fine sadly.

Sevenfold

Crikey, that, and the articles linked within make for pretty terrifying reading, I don't know why in hindsight but I thought, after the Saudi leg he would at least be cordial, but everything from his body language, his indifference, his clear lack of preparation (this staggers me) through to his frankly insulting words. It's clear this is more PR, all about the fucking handshakes to give the rednecks something to look at whilst pulling themselves round their shotguns. Shit, being there must've been like rewatching Shutter Island and seeing that
the inmates spend half the time lolling behind Leo's back
It's not at arms length anymore, May chose to cuddle the fucking hippo, now the entire continent of Europe associates the UK with this puddle of nonsense. The right are empowered by their almighty Peacock strutting through the leaders of other countries, and shit even as Blighty becomes ever more irrelevant Trump will continue to undo our progress as a race in the name of 'deals and legacy'
Is it reaching the point of being too late already? Sounds hyperbolic I know, but with the investment towards a second campaign the thought of eight years given how far we've come in 17 weeks is quite depressing.

Also. Watching the Fog remake. Did the ancient sea baddies just hack Maggie Grace?

Spladam

i really hope someone just judo flips him one day
That was funny man.
Say you're from Canada. You all sound the same to the rest of us.
I used to joke about this with my European friends, I half halfheartedly did this when I was last in Amsterdam.

Now I would just be terrified of having to explain how the U.S. electoral system worked and that the majority of us did NOT really vote for Trump. The more that we discuss his European embarrassment in this thread the less funny it gets and the more I get a true sense of fear. Man this sucks.
I had posted this in the latest Merkel thread but it just shows how his "grand tour" marks a turning point in the rest of the wests rethoric.

A Danger to the World (Spiegel)

It's brutally frank imho.

Also I would totally second the notion from that article: USA, you have to get rid of him!
Holy shit that article. Wow, as harsh as that is, it's almost spot on.

Spladam

Please no. We need positive foreign representation.

Come on man, everyone loves you guys already, where's the neighborly love? Let a brother piggyback on some of that good rep. (Funny, I spent years talking shit on Canadians for being WAY too nice. LOL)

Top Bottom