• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 1&2 Reload |OT| Monokuma's Happy Despair

Mistle

I played both of these for the first time last year. Was a wild ride, I got hooked honestly. They're totally bonkers but try not to take them too seriously and you'll have a good time.

I wish there were more games like it. I get really into the Ace Attorney/Zero Escape/Danganronpa type games.

How does this series compare to Zero Escape? I heard this series gets progressively worse as it goes on which makes me skeptical about jumping in.

Strings

How does this series compare to Zero Escape? I heard this series gets progressively worse as it goes on which makes me skeptical about jumping in.

Closer to something like Phoenix Wright imo. Wouldn't say the games get weaker as they go along either (aside from Ultra Despair Girls, which is a completely different type of thing). They're fun, intentionally ridiculous rides that manage to do a pretty good job of tying together.

Although the anime that ended the Dangan 1 and 2 plots was godawful (luckily '3' / the latest game is back to the standard set by the original two).

LordKano

Danganronpa 2 is undoubtedly far better than Danganronpa 1. The comments you've heard about are probably talking about Ultra Despair Girls, a BTA spin-off (releasing on PS4 this summer btw) and the anime Danganronpa 3 (which I personally liked, but it's mostly fanservice).

I like Danganronpa better than Zero Escape, but it's more similar to Ace Attorney.

I've never played these before but after seeing some gameplay footage and trailers, they have got me interested, I just need to decide if I get them on PS4 or Vita now.

I've just tried the Cyber Danganronpa VR demo on PSVR and really enjoyed that, would love to see a full VR game, it's pretty awesome and the idea works very well in VR.

I've never played these before but after seeing some gameplay footage and trailers, they have got me interested, I just need to decide if I get them on PS4 or Vita now.

I've just tried the Cyber Danganronpa VR demo on PSVR and really enjoyed that, would love to see a full VR game, it's pretty awesome and the idea works very well in VR.

Although a PS4 version is neat, I suggest you play it on Vita if you have the option. It's a visual novel for the most part and playing it with the screen very close, like reading a book, made the experience even better imo.

You could also remote play btw

Closer to something like Phoenix Wright imo. Wouldn't say the games get weaker as they go along either (aside from Ultra Despair Girls, which is a completely different type of thing). They're fun, intentionally ridiculous rides that manage to do a pretty good of tying together.

Although the anime that ended the Dangan 1 and 2 plots was godawful (luckily '3' / the latest game is back to the standard set by the original two).

Danganronpa 2 is undoubtedly far better than Danganronpa 1. The comments you've heard about are probably talking about Ultra Despair Girls, a BTA spin-off (releasing on PS4 this summer btw) and the anime Danganronpa 3 (which I personally liked, but it's mostly fanservice).

I like Danganronpa better than Zero Escape, but it's more similar to Ace Attorney.

By phoenix wright do you guys mean in terms of gameplay or tone? I'm fine with gameplay being closer to PW but I'd prefer a tone closer to ZE.

LordKano

By phoenix wright do you guys mean in terms of gameplay or tone? I'm fine with gameplay being closer to PW but I'd prefer a tone closer to ZE.

Gameplay and how the game is structured. The tone is completely different from Ace Attorney and more akin to Umineko/Zero Escape/most Battle-Royale anime.

i only played the first one on vita but i will never understand how much it is beloved on neogaf. the murder mysteries are so easy that you know the solution after 30 seconds but you still have to do hours of pointless interogations and then do stupid minigames in the trial. the premise is that this is a school of geniuses yet they are all dumber than a box of rocks. thought the ending was stupid too.

i like some corny visual novel writing (i love 999 and VLR) but this was too much for me.

badly if you liked the escape part of Zero Escape.

Although a PS4 version is neat, I suggest you play it on Vita if you have the option. It's a visual novel for the most part and playing it with the screen very close, like reading a book, made the experience even better imo.

You could also remote play btw

I was leaning slightly towards Vita, so might go with that, plus I do like to support the Vita still.

SMD

Once I actually find a list/description, I'll add it to the OP, lol.

There has been nothing outlines online!

Haha this is why I haven't bothered to get it, I don't want to start school mode from scratch if it's exactly the same game.

I've played through both games multiple times, but picked this up in the hopes of playing through it with someone else. I'm not sure when we'll get to it -- maybe when he's done with Breath of the Wild -- but I'm looking forward to it. He knows absolutely nothing about the series aside from recognizing Monokuma. I'm really excited to see people react to the game.

I've seen the tone described as "psycho pop," and I think that's pretty accurate. It can be very cartoony, but it also gets extremely dark.

I can see why someone wouldn't like Danganronpa 2, but I think both games are solid. IMO, Danganronpa 2 has the best case of the series. If you like Zero Escape because of the puzzles, you're not going to find that here. Like Ace Attorney, the game is built around finding and presenting evidence.

I played these on the Vita and they are really surprisingly good games. I'm not hearing anything bad about the port quality of the PS4 version, so I might buy it.

Zero315

Banned
I have it but I won't be touching it for a while thanks to Zelda and Horizon.
Yep, I picked it up earlier this week as well, but I've still got Horizon, Zelda, and Nier to go through. Thankfully I managed to finish Yakuza 0 last week.

Maybe I'll do a quick run through of D1 before I tackle Nier.

marmoka

Banned
I've been playing the first Danganronpa in the last two days for the first time in my life.

Cannot believe
the pop singer, Sataya or whatever her name is,
is the first to die. It was pretty obvious she would be the first one, but I was hoping for a plot-twist.

Damm, the Opening cutscene is bizarre as hell.

Whoever invented the character Monokuma is a fucking genius. I don't remember such weird villain in other stories.

Lyrian

Cannot believe
is the first to die. It was pretty obvious she would be the first one, but I was hoping for a plot-twist.

Whoever invented the character Monokuma is a fucking genius. I don't remember such weird villain in other stories.

It's quite a shame she died so early in the game. She seemed like quite an interesting character that could have had a rather complex character arc had she not died in the opening chapter.

Monokuma is deliciously evil. You have yet to taste true despair from him, so enjoy the ride.

Kinsei

Banned
I've been playing the first Danganronpa in the last two days for the first time in my life.

Cannot believe

Damm, the Opening cutscene is bizarre as hell.

I didn't think it was super obvious that she would be the first to die. It (Chapter 1 spoilers)
seemed like they were setting her up as the first murderer and then pulled the rug out from under you.

Second to last case in 2 is some of the finer moments in all of my gaming so yeah, I disagree with anyone saying it gets worse.

i only played the first one on vita but i will never understand how much it is beloved on neogaf. the murder mysteries are so easy that you know the solution after 30 seconds but you still have to do hours of pointless interogations and then do stupid minigames in the trial. the premise is that this is a school of geniuses yet they are all dumber than a box of rocks. thought the ending was stupid too.

i like some corny visual novel writing (i love 999 and VLR) but this was too much for me.

badly if you liked the escape part of Zero Escape.

1) I don't believe you when you say you could solve the cases "after 30 seconds" considering essential pieces of information are acquired long after that point.
2) In every single one of the trails, the characters pretty much also all have a good idea who did it long before they vote. They still continue with the "pointless interrogations" to leave no stone unturned. Kinda a reasonable thing to do when people's lives are at stake, you know? It's still interesting to me to see how everything plays in, character motivations, etc.
3) The premise is not that they're a school of geniuses, intellectual and logical geniuses at least

I bought this again to fuel the empty void until Persona 5, and I plan on Platinuming it. I own the first two on Vita, but never beat the second until a few days ago.

The first one is still great even after beating it a while ago, but I like the second more. I can't wait until v3 comes out; I'll be picking it up Day One.

MAtgS

For first time players: don't read wikia. There are massive spoilers in the opening sentences of the character pages.
TV tropes is a no go too. I found out about this franchise just a few weeks ago from clicking the site's random media button. I'm interested in playing them now but man am I spoiled.

Cornbread78

TV tropes is a no go too. I found out about this franchise just a few weeks ago from clicking the site's random media button. I'm interested in playing them now but man am I spoiled.

Rule of thumb is to always stay away from online stuff if u don't want to get spoiled, lol

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
First Ps4 game I bought on the first day. I've been wanting to play these for years due to GAF hype and saw this thread pop up and forgot this collection was coming to Ps4. Been playing with the old lady. It's pretty great so far. Just started the trial in Chapter 1.

bronk

Banned
I only buy my games physical for the most part. This isnt one of those games where the physical version will go up because of a low print is it? I want it but have so many games right now. Was hoping it would get a little bit cheaper and I can pick it up later.

I picked this up, mostly due to people harping at me for not playing it. My game game in with a broken seal, did it come with anything? (Regular retail copy)

I'm sorta excited to get started once I'm done with Zelda and Nier, I just hope this game doesn't go too grimdark on me.

bronk

Banned
Does no one care for these games or has everyone already played them? I wanted to hear opinions from people new to the series like me. I love Phoenix Wright to death as well as 999. Didnt like VLR too much and hated Zero Time. This series is for me right?

Kinsei

Banned
Does no one care for these games or has everyone already played them? I wanted to hear opinions from people to the series like me.

They are great games but this collection is getting buried due to all of the high profile releases lately.

I highly recommend the game if you haven't already picked it up.

Does no one care for these games or has everyone already played them? I wanted to hear opinions from people new to the series like me. I love Phoenix Wright to death as well as 999. Didnt like VLR too much and hated Zero Time. This series is for me right?

The game doesn't take itself seriously, I personally think it's awesome but it's a bit of an acquired taste.

I can't speak to the Zero Escape games but I feel pretty safe in recommending Danganronpa to anyone cool enough to like Phoenix Wright.

So... I just finished the prologue section. Noticed that I'm given the option to present gifts every time that I spend free time with someone during those respective segments and I'm a bit fearful of missing out on character development. How do I go about acquiring more coins for the store or should I just go along with the ride by skipping out on them?

KLoWn

Oh wow... After playing through the games with japanese voices way back I just now heard how
Junko
sounds in english... Sooo fuckin bad....
Is guess she's supposed to sound bored? At least I hope that's the idea, or the VA just didn't give a shit lol. But either way, bad.

Oh wow... After playing through the games with japanese voices way back I just now heard how
Junko
sounds in english... Sooo fuckin bad....
Is guess she's supposed to sound bored? At least I hope that's the idea, or the VA just didn't give a shit lol. But either way, bad.

She's supposed to sound bored because she's excelled at everything so she's bored with the world and only causing despair gives her any life.

Kinsei

Banned
So... I just finished the prologue section. Noticed that I'm given the option to present gifts every time that I spend free time with someone during those respective segments and I'm a bit fearful of missing out on character development. How do I go about acquiring more coins for the store or should I just go along with the ride by skipping out on them?

Just go for the ride. You unlock a special mode dedicated to getting any free time events that you miss once you beat the game.

Gurnlei

If they're anything like the PC versions it's worth a buy for sure. Lots of people prefer playing VN's on handhelds but can get much more engrossed on a big screen.

Just finished battling through the first installment and I must say that I've become hooked! Probably going to dive right into Goodbye Despair immediately after this post in anticipation of Ultra Despair Girls and V3 within the coming year. I had initially pondered the possibility of stretching a complete marathon of the Yakuza franchise over the next several years, but they have such an excess amount of leisure content and RPG-length narratives that I might settle for Danganronpa as my current first-time series binge run.

I can certainly agree with some critiques that I've seen regarding how certain key investigation elements are too heavily telegraphed early on making subsequent trail arguments feel cumbersome with explaining basic evidence to conveniently lazy characters. Thankfully, I was able to overlook the lead-footed nature of some of the early chapters based on a similar criticism that I've had toward early Ace Attorney games. While I do believe the aforementioned series which can sometimes plunge to insultingly low abandonment of logic, Dangan doesn't sink to those depths with a charming flavor in the localization script and plenty of genuinely subtle moments of character building, particularly in the 'free time' mode. An example that I appreciated took place leading into the fourth trial once
Sakura Ogami had been unveiled by Monokuma as a spy planted among the classmates. Most characters cautiously treat her as an outcast as a result of the revelation, but the protagonist has foreknowledge of Sakura's desire to betray the mastermind after witnessing a scuffle between the two individuals. In a player-choice moment, I opted to hang out with Sakura despite the circumstances of her solidarity and she ultimately expresses an appreciation for the gesture of standing silently by her side albeit briefly.
Anyway, Trigger Happy Havoc has a strongly alluring cast of characters with the occasional enduring trait from a handful of them. What additionally carries the narrative forward comes from the atmospheric soundtrack delivered by Masafumi Takada who hasn't quite grasped my attention since Killer7 (2005). While there's some nice tracks that balance between trepidation and melancholia, Takada-san cranks out an energetic string of highlights in the trial segments that'll keep you engrossed with the action until you have your final word. In the end, it's definitely one of my favorite visual novels that I've experienced alongside Steins;Gate, 999 and the first Phoenix Wright.

Also, I have to express my admiration for the best lady of the video game that's treated rather respectfully with minimum fan service and a notably strong heroine in the medium.
r7V6SFQ.png

On another note, I would like to ask fans about the Danganronpa 3 anime which I heard bookends the current story arc in the Reload compilation. It's a little disappointing to hear that a conclusion comes in the form of an animated series instead of a proper gaming installment, but what concerns my interest the most stems from the near unanimous panning that I've heard across the Net. Unless spoilers are inevitably, how exactly does it drop the ball compared to the preceding games and should I be cautious of the upcoming V3 in regard to storytelling quality? Much appreciated in advance and apologies for the rambling impressions.

KraytarJ

On another note, I would like to ask fans about the Danganronpa 3 anime which I heard bookends the current story arc in the Reload compilation. It's a little disappointing to hear that a conclusion comes in the form of an animated series instead of a proper gaming installment, but what concerns my interest the most stems from the near unanimous panning that I've heard across the Net. Unless spoilers are inevitably, how exactly does it drop the ball compared to the preceding games and should I be cautious of the upcoming V3 in regard to storytelling quality? Much appreciated in advance and apologies for the rambling impressions.
So DR3 is split up into a future side and a despair side. The future side is focused on (DR2 spoilers)
the fallout of what the future foundation members did in dr2
, while the despair side tells the story of how (DR2 spoilers)
the remnants of despair came to be
. Future's problem is that it's basically a worse version of the formula used in 1 & 2. The new characters are unanimously uninteresting, their motivations are laughable, and the plot twists are lame and not captivating like they were in 1 & 2. The real problem child is the despair side where they retroactively ruin the remnants by making their motivation for turning bad the worst possible thing they could. They go from an interesting cast of characters to lame duck victims. All in all I'd rather 3 just not exist because of its numerous glaring and horrendous faults.

I'm not an expert on how this stuff is made but I wouldn't worry about V3 honestly, being responsible for a bad anime doesn't make me concerned that we can't get another great Danganronpa game.

emag

Being a fan of Zero Escape (well, 999, and to a lesser degree, VLR) and Ace Attorney, I've had my eye on Danganronpa for a while. When I saw the PS4 combo for $30 new on Amazon, I bit the bullet.

A few days/nights later, I finished Trigger Happy Havoc and have mixed feelings. On the one hand, the non-trial gameplay is often excruciatingly slow (sometimes going several days without any notable events or interactivity (beyond social links) at a time), the investigations/scenarios are exceedingly straightforward, the dialog/characterization/plot is anime 101, and the trials are peppered with annoying mini-games (I turned the logic difficulty up and the action difficulty down early on, thankfully). On the other hand, the presentation -- particularly the music -- is fantastic and the trials are engaging.

For the most part, most of the details of the actual cases, let alone the culprits, were even more predictable than AA's (although AA6 was pretty bad about this, too). And having loathed Zero Time Dilemma, the ending was a bit too trite. The characters were pretty one-note, too, but still relatable (especially once the cast is cut down a bit and the names start to stick).

I did have a couple running theories about the overall scenario that turned out to be false, however:

1. Everything
was a VR/Matrix-like experience. Junko's early death didn't carry much weight, and the pictures of the deceased students could have been from after they returned to the real world (by dying). That is, the simulation really was an entrance exam/orientation. This theory fell apart in case 5/6.

2. Everyone
was a ghost/android/resurrection of a student killed in The Tragedy, which was a event localized to/starting from the school, and Monokuma's role was to uncover the truth by putting the consciousnesses of the victims/witnesses/culprits in a high-stress situation. Makoto was the key, being the one who triggered The Tragedy. Again, by the end of case 5, it was obvious that such a twist was not forthcoming.

Speaking of actual spoilers, of course the characters made a lot of foolish choices to keep the plot interesting throughout, but the one reveal/twist that bugged me was the whole
Junko/Mukuro twin thing. As soon as the body was discovered, masked and with a bomb, it was obvious it wasn't someone who'd just been murdered, but a staged, pre-existing corpse. The more straightforward explanation, especially once Mukuro's measurements are available, is that it's Junko's body with a Fenrir tattoo added posthumously. The switch twist between the two sisters is really unnecessary, particularly as fake-Junko was killed so early on and real-Junko was never met, leading to a lack of player investment in their characters. I suppose the photoshop "hint" and the notoriety of Junko as the ultimate fashionista vis-a-vis the unknown Mukuro played into that, but it still felt like a worthless twist with no shock value.

Overall I enjoyed the game, as I do enjoy this [sub]genre of mystery [semi-]interactive VNs and the presentation was so good (despite low-resolution art), but Trigger Happy Havoc didn't come close to 999 (or VLR, most AA cases, Ghost Trick, etc.) for me. That game had much better realized characters, actual interactivity storytelling, and some great reveals (even excluding the famous twist). I'm going to play DR2, as I already own it, but I'm not in a rush to do so.

Major 999 Spoiler:
Having played 999, I was immediately suspicious of the childhood friend/acquaintance/love-interest who latches on to the main character at the start of the game. Sometimes I envy people with less media experience.

Top Bottom