• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Community Thread: Thrills! Chills! Kills! Despair!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Sure hope not, he did a great job.

..................I kind of hope they find a way to bring back Feep, he was great.

UberTag

Apparently Monokuma's English VA "hasn't heard anything" about V3 yet. Maybe he was recast?
Perhaps Monokuma's dub anime VA, Greg Ayres, has been promoted to game duty?
(Greg's a great guy and I've chilled with both him and his brother, but yeah... they need to bring back Brian Beacock.)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I...kind of hope not. Nothing against Ayres, but his voice is very unique, making it hard to find characters that truly suit it, but when it does, he can be good. Monokuma, unfortunately, is not one of them.

Let's keep in mind that there's also a Frnech translation going on this time around.

Please no DR3 Monokuma. Hell, if Monokuma has to be recasted, cast Faulerro (the guy who voiced like half of Danganronpa Abdridged Thing).

UberTag

I...kind of hope not. Nothing against Ayres, but his voice is very unique, making it hard to find characters that truly suit it, but when it does, he can be good. Monokuma, unfortunately, is not one of them.
I love Greg in Chrono Crusade. He's excellent there.

They also just might not have started actually recording yet. I mean, the game just came out in Japan. Who knows if they've even fully translated the game yet, never mind started voice acting.

AniHawk

The game comes out in a few months. Even if they haven't started recording, actors have definitely been approached.

what makes you think it is coming out in a few months?

nis america is in california. funimation is in texas. nis america isn't going to fly in talent from another state when that voice actor originally appeared in the anime offshoot of the original work.

RedHill

Banned
what makes you think it is coming out in a few months?

nis america is in california. funimation is in texas. nis america isn't going to fly in talent from another state when that voice actor originally appeared in the anime offshoot of the original work.
I already posted evidence that it's targeted for this spring and I never said they were gonna fly in funimation talent?

Grexeno

Do not go to the Danganronpa Reddit.

Do not go on Tumblr period.

Delete your Youtube watch history and unsubscribe from all Danganronpa-related channels

Mute all Danganronpa words and phrases on Twitter

Drago

It's gonna be a hard couple of months waiting for this localization. As long as I don't accidentally search up Danganronpa on Youtube by accident I should be fine. >_>

What are the chances this gets a PC release this year in English?

Danganronpa 1 and 2 have sold over 100k each on steam, UDG is coming to PC same day as the PS4 version, and as far as other Spike Chunsoft games go both ZTD and Nonary Games also got or will get day 1 PC versions. An english PC release of V3 is far more likely than not I'd imagine considering all of this, likely won't be published by NIS America though so it's up to Spike Chunsoft to confirm it (if it exists).

Nachos

Apparently Monokuma's English VA "hasn't heard anything" about V3 yet. Maybe he was recast?
I dunno. I've talked to Beacock a few times, and he doesn't seem to be the type to lie about this stuff. He's always open about roles when he can confirm them, and unless he really wanted to keep his involvement a surprise, I think he wouldn't have said anything at all.

RedHill

Banned
danganronpa 1 2 switch reload was the one for spring/early 2017 and it probably got reused or something. the release schedule is going to be reload, udg, then v3. there's a reason why v3 was coming '2017' in the reveal trailer.
That newsletter had V3 listed as spring after the March date for reload was announced. Unless you have any source that the newsletter had mistaken information, this is only speculation and should be treated as such.

AniHawk

That newsletter had V3 listed as spring after the March date for reload was announced. Unless you have any source that the newsletter had mistaken information, this is only speculation and should be treated as such.

a european newsletter isn't going to reveal the release timing ahead of the nis america american branch announcing it through a press release. i am not giving you speculation.

RedHill

Banned
a european newsletter isn't going to reveal the release timing ahead of the nis america american branch announcing it through a press release. i am not giving you speculation.
A company's newsletter would reveal the release timing. That's literally exactly what it would do if it shows that. Your whole argument is "nuh uh I don't think so because reasons."

AniHawk

A company's newsletter would reveal the release timing. That's literally exactly what it would do if it shows that. Your whole argument is "nuh uh I don't think so because reasons."

no, if they were to specify it, it wouldn't come from nisa europe as the first clarification of the release timing.

my argument is that it isn't that timing and that is not speculation.

PK Gaming

Yeah so Fall 2017 is looking more likely.

I wonder how they'll approach voice acting this time around. There are so many JPN VAs to go around, but the number of dub actors is noticeably smaller. I think they'll be a bit of a reuse this time around. Hopefully not too much since the new DR cast's appeal is hearing brand new voices.

DNAbro

Yeah I'm not sure why it would come out in Spring with Reload and UDG coming in Spring and Summer. Also it kills me that I'm trying to look for some of the OST and I see on the side "ALL EXECUTIONS AND ENDING REVEALED". If someone does a full ost playlist I would appreciate it. I only have a partial one atm.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Transfering it to the OT

GSR

Guys, don't listen to the OST on youtube. Some fishy thumbnails in recommended videos.

Yes I know I should've stayed away but I'm an impulsive idiot it was bound to happen lmfao

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
& that is exactly why I've told myself no more listening to the OST via YouTube, because I just knew in the recommended videos section, there'd be some spoilers waiting to happen via thumbnail or video title.

PK Gaming

The guy who originally posted the spring newsletter says that a new one now lists it as summer

kibou-h.png

?

Banned
DRV3 soundtrack coming February 24th. 5 CDs split across two releases ("White" - 2 CDs, mostly non-trial/early game music; "Black" - 3 CDs, mostly trial/late-game/post-game bonus music).

Track listing is over here, though it looks like it includes the execution names so don't look if you can read Japanese. (That last CD looks to be primarily bonus game music though so I wouldn't read into that one too much.)

I've been loving the music in this one so I'm definitely in.
I was going to order this but CD Japan have it for $98 wtf.

Nachos

Yeah so Fall 2017 is looking more likely.

I wonder how they'll approach voice acting this time around. There are so many JPN VAs to go around, but the number of dub actors is noticeably smaller. I think they'll be a bit of a reuse this time around. Hopefully not too much since the new DR cast's appeal is hearing brand new voices.

I dunno. Assuming NISA uses Bang Zoom again, then there should be a good pool of actors to use. They're always among the first to get any new talent as they're breaking into dubbing, and a lot of their recent shows have had a lot of new blood, both as named parts and as extras. If they get Tony Oliver to direct again (he did 1 and 2, though oddly there's no director listed in UDG's credits), the game's all but guaranteed to have a lot of fresh faces. He sprinkles newcomers into practically all of his projects.

Like, here's me spitballing voices whom I think could fit and who have been in other BZ stuff real quick:
Kaede - Xanthe Huynh
Rantaro - Vic Migogna
Kokichi - Kyle MrCarley
Miu - Sarah Anne Williams
Ryoma - Paul St Peter
Shuichi - Sara Cravens
Korekiyo - Ray Chase (Whoever it is is gonna need a lot of vocal range)
Gonta - Edward Bosco
Kiibo - Zach Aguilar
Tsumugi - Alexis Tipton
Kirumi - Laura Post
Kaito - Chris Niosi
Tenko - G.K. Bowes
Himiko - Brina Palencia
Angie - Sandy Fox
Maki - Erica Mendez
Monocubs - Kirk Thornton

That's just people who are at least somewhat established, yet that's almost a completely new cast, save for Mendez. But her regular voice isn't anything like her boy voice, anyway.

きぼう。
Hope.

GSR

Finished V3. I think I might be the first person on GAF to do so and not just read/watch spoilers?

AMA non-spoiler questions (if you need a spoiler question answered post it in the spoiler thread or PM me.)

Finished V3. I think I might be the first person on GAF to do so and not just read/watch spoilers?

AMA non-spoiler questions (if you need a spoiler question answered post it in the spoiler thread or PM me.)
How would you rank it between DR1, DR2, and V3?

GSR

How would you rank it between DR1, DR2, and V3?

I think DRV3 is probably my favorite, but I can't evenly compare them because I caught all of DR1 and part of DR2 through LPs back in the day. DRV3 is the first one I played unspoiled and start to finish.

That's not to say DRV3 doesn't have its problems or areas where it's weaker than the other games, because it absolutely does. The overall plot did not work for me at all, for example. But the presentation is top notch and I think it has some of the best individual moments in the series.

I think DRV3 is probably my favorite, but I can't evenly compare them because I caught all of DR1 and part of DR2 through LPs back in the day. DRV3 is the first one I played unspoiled and start to finish.

That's not to say DRV3 doesn't have its problems or areas where it's weaker than the other games, because it absolutely does. The overall plot did not work for me at all, for example. But the presentation is top notch and I think it has some of the best individual moments in the series.

Damn, the thing I wanted the most to see with V3 was an actually intriguing and well-written meta plot. If you have seen impressions by others, how is the meta-plot received overall?

Banned

How are the mini-games in V3? Are they better then the ones in DR2?

GSR

Damn, the thing I wanted the most to see with V3 was an actually intriguing and well-written meta plot. If you have seen impressions by others, how is the meta-plot received overall?

It's very divisive. People either love it or hate it, and I'm certainly closer to the latter.

How are the mini-games in V3? Are they better then the ones in DR2?

I liked most of them. Scrum Debate isn't really much of a puzzle/challenge but it's extremely fun and gets the blood pumping. Hangman's Gambit no longer penalizes you for pieces colliding so it's significantly less obnoxious.

Top Bottom