• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Community Thread: Thrills! Chills! Kills! Despair!

Lusankya

Uhm, I am obviously not gonna read that spoiler, but just knowing that having the same voice actors as in previous games is apparently related to spoiler info is a spoiler in and of itself.

Although it doesn't make much sense as the Japanese version used new voice actors.

daevious

Uhm, I am obviously not gonna read that spoiler, but just knowing that having the same voice actors as in previous games is apparently related to spoiler info is a spoiler in and of itself.

Although it doesn't make much sense as the Japanese version used new voice actors.

The problem is that I can't address that problem without drifting into spoiler territory, even though the answer itself isn't that spoilery.
So here's the least-spoilery explanation; still under spoiler tags just in case:
NISA has a shoestring budget for localisation and their decision to re-use voice actors is a cost-saving move more than an artistic one.

UberTag

I consider the prospect of a number of returning VAs to be a reassuring sign simply due to the fact that it means the quality of this English localization should be on par with the first three games and is unlikely to be hampered negatively by the ongoing SAG-AFTRA voice actors' strike.

So the more returnees, the merrier.

PK Gaming

I consider the prospect of a number of returning VAs to be a reassuring sign simply due to the fact that it means the quality of this English localization should be on par with the first three games and is unlikely to be hampered negatively by the ongoing SAG-AFTRA voice actors' strike.

So the more returnees, the merrier.

I'm not sure I agree. When it comes to sequels, there's more to a good dub than just having good voice actors. Direction is one of, if not THE MOST important aspect of it, and it's practically taboo for sequels to liberally reuse VAs the way DRv3 does. This is because it's difficult for the newer characters to stand out if they share the same voices as previous characters. Exceptions exist of course (Nagito) and while some VAs are really good at changing their voices (Kira Buckland), aren't nearly as good at it (Stephen Derek Prince).

It's just disappointing, because the new characters are so promising. They honestly deserve netter.

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/20015749.html

Interview with Kodaka from Famitsu. Just going off machine translation, but notable points seem to be that the series will take a break for a while since changing things up would be needed for another title. Neither 1 nor 2 were made with any sequels in mind. He'd like to see a fighting game made, although it wouldn't need to have a story, and he'd like to see Danganronpa games made by other people.

caliph95

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/20015749.html

Interview with Kodaka from Famitsu. Just going off machine translation, but notable points seem to be that the series will take a break for a while since changing things up would be needed for another title. Neither 1 nor 2 were made with any sequels in mind. He'd like to see a fighting game made, although it wouldn't need to have a story, and he'd like to see Danganronpa games made by other people.
Either would be a good thing or a bad thing depending on who takes over

D-Man

Even if the story was all over the place, the Persona 4 Arena games were very fun and solid fighters so I would be down to see ArcSys make a Danganronpa fighting game like that.

Just make Gundham playable, that's all I ask.

kewlmyc

I'm not sure I agree. When it comes to sequels, there's more to a good dub than just having good voice actors. Direction is one of, if not THE MOST important aspect of it, and it's practically taboo for sequels to liberally reuse VAs the way DRv3 does. This is because it's difficult for the newer characters to stand out if they share the same voices as previous characters. Exceptions exist of course (Nagito) and while some VAs are really good at changing their voices (Kira Buckland), aren't nearly as good at it (Stephen Derek Prince).

It's just disappointing, because the new characters are so promising. They honestly deserve netter.

Lets just hope there's never a cross over.

"Why do Makoto Yuki and Yosuke sound like the same character? And why does Adachi sound like Yu but high on grass?"

UberTag

Anytime someone brings up the opportunity for a Danganronpa fighting game it gives me the opportunity to post this exhaustive list of potential super moves I made a few years back (big ol' spoilers for DR1&2 obviously):

http://pastebin.com/6DMMqMt4
https://pastebin.com/E8pqGTpZ
Man, you've got something lined up for just about everyone.

The thing about a fighting game for this property is that you're going to have to be somewhat selective with the roster given the number of possible characters spread across four games.
I'd even enjoy seeing some of the DR3 anime crew like Juzo included.

Theosmeo

Was Ultra Despair Girls good? I'm thinking about picking it up but ive heard mixed things, the jump to a new genre seems cool though. I've played 1 and 2 and am currently reading Danganronpa if

D-Man

Was Ultra Despair Girls good? I'm thinking about picking it up but ive heard mixed things, the jump to a new genre seems cool though. I've played 1 and 2 and am currently reading Danganronpa if
It's a very divisive game within the community but I recommend it. That game actually made me like Toko, which I didn't think would be possible.

Theosmeo

Alright, thinking of picking it up then, Toko was one of my favorites from 1.

If any of you have watched the anime/played the 3rd game in japanese, is it important for that game's story much?

kewlmyc

Wasn't a fan, but the chemistry of the two main characters is the best part of the game.

GSR

The interview has been recently translated here. There are no spoilers for anything.

I have to say, the mood that Kodaka exudes in this piece seems like he wants to finally step away from Danganronpa. I don't know how V3 develops, but if it is open for a sequel I can't help but wonder how the series may work with another writer.

This doesn't surprise me. DR always has a self-reflective/meta element to it, and DRV3's is basically screaming "you can only replay the same idea so many times." The series could continue, and it's not that Kodaka didn't have his heart in V3, but it's clear he wants to move on.

Grexeno

Question for people who have played V3: Vita or PS4? I'm leaning towards Vita because I prefer to play visual novels on a handheld but if there's significant quality improvements on PS4 over Vita then I could do that.

GSR

I played on PS4 and really liked it. The main objection I remember hearing about the Vita version was that the initial release had low-quality recordings for the voices because they couldn't fit on the cart so there was a huge mandatory patch later to increase the quality.

Dunno if that'll happen with the EN version too.

I don't know if it was confirmed for Japan (or it will probably just be the same release we're getting and it will just have English and Japanese language options). But the PC port has been known about for a while now.

Grexeno

I thought briefly about going into that South Korea rejecting V3 thread, then I thought "some joker will post 'yeah X's death was too much'" and I'll be mad

Lusankya

I thought briefly about going into that South Korea rejecting V3 thread, then I thought "some joker will post 'yeah X's death was too much'" and I'll be mad

It''s nothing specific to the game's plot just that there are teenagers killing other teenagers. Apparently they're sensitive because recently a high schooler killed a child in SK.

Puruzi

Banned
Tbh I might go sub this time, I played 1 2 and UDG with the dub and really liked them but it sounds like they phoned it in here

They can't do my girl Angie like that. At least second best girl Yumeno sounded alright but man, i'm really not high on the dub for this

dan2026

Why on earth is it taking so long to get the 3rd game out over here?
I just checked on Wikipedia an it apparently came out in Japan back in January.
And it's not out in english til September!

Even if they only started working on translating it after it came out in Japan, that's an 8 month delay!

kewlmyc

Even if they only started working on translating it after it came out in Japan, that's an 8 month delay!

I'm not getting this rage. That's the norm for a lot non FF or Nintendo Japanese games. Hell, this is the fastest we're getting a Danganronpa game after the JP release. Normally the wait was a year plus.

FluxWaveZ

Welcome to Japanese game localization, notably for the more niche games.

kewlmyc

You should see the Tales games and how long that takes
They've been getting better with the two recent games. Probably started focusing on quicker localization once the games started having sales decline in Japan while sales started rising in the west due to adding Steam versions. Latest game only had a 7 month wait period.

The real kick in the teeth is the wait time for Falcom localizations. Holy crap...

AniHawk

https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/881355696133906432

"DanganRonpa V3 is about 400 pages of text. 2.4 million Japanese characters, 96K English lines, and 12K voiced lines. DR1+DR2=DRV3."

the fact that it's coming out less than a year after the japanese release is a small miracle.

Chris R

I've played 1 & 2, what site is the best place to visit to refresh my memories of the story beats before 3 comes out?

Also, any other media I should check out before then? Probably won't play the other game that came out, but I would watch/read a plot highlight if a short one exists.

caliph95

I've played 1 & 2, what site is the best place to visit to refresh my memories of the story beats before 3 comes out?

Also, any other media I should check out before then? Probably won't play the other game that came out, but I would watch/read a plot highlight if a short one exists.
That's it but I heard DR 0 novel is good but I don't think it was translated

You don't need to watch the anime

Top Bottom