• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Community Thread: Thrills! Chills! Kills! Despair!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Just hoping we can get some news about the LEs shipping out soon/arriving on launch day. Can't believe we've got one more week left.

BTA

Just hoping we can get some news about the LEs shipping out soon/arriving on launch day. Can't believe we've got one more week left.

When I finally got through to support earlier when calling about billing/address issues, the rep said they were at the warehouse so he'd have to pass it along to them but that it would be fine since they aren't shipping till near the end of the week.

So I think things will be fine? Especially since the emails about billing mentioned this Wednesday as when to lock things down by.

caliph95

Eh don't mind him mostly joking

If it's spoilers I'm worried about other people more

Good thing I'm already spoiled and don't care about spoilers so I don't mind

BTA

Is there a spoiler-free list of the voice actors for the students (+ cubs) somewhere? I've been playing a lot of VNs lately and I'm always amused by cast overlap (I already know one from Collar x Malice) but don't want to look through the pages of actors or for the game itself directly in fear of spoilers. If I had a list I could ust look at the lists for those other games and compare them.

http://www.dualshockers.com/danganronpa-v3-streaming-guidelines/

Nobody can stream past chapter 1 even after release. We've got another Persona 5!

Weird. It makes sense, and I appreciate the attempt to stop spoilers (I'm sure it will be worthless as I'll surely encounter some on Twitter), but I hope they get a timeline worked out for letting everything be fine. The Japanese approach to blocking spoilers really doesn't go over well here.

Despite my missgivings I am glad some people are enjoying the game.

I just hope if they make Danganronpa 4X Tournament Edition I'll love it just as much as 1+2.

BTA

I'm so, so interested to find out what the fuck V3 is even about. What could possibly be so divisive?

Yeah, it's weird to know that it's divisive/has a twist but I guess that's the kind of sorta-spoiler where it just becomes its own mystery/driving force to play more.

I'm planning to play a ton more in the first week now (though I expect I'll maybe get halfway through), with less of a focus on other games; if I'm lucky I can finish within the first couple weeks. Just hope I don't burn out in the process.

I'm so, so interested to find out what the fuck V3 is even about. What could possibly be so divisive?

Yup, biggest draw of the whole game (besides going into a Danganronpa game without having all murders/twists spoiled) for me. I think I'll have fun with it either way, Kodaka can't write good endings.

PK Gaming

I'm pretty much done with DR after V3, barring a fighting game spinoff

Yup, biggest draw of the whole game (besides going into a Danganronpa game without having all murders/twists spoiled) for me. I think I'll have fun with it either way, Kodaka can't write good endings.

DR2

PK Gaming

Yeah no.

(DR2 spoilers)
Power of friendship and Chiaki and suddenly voila there doesn't need to be any explanation for why Junko's dilemma can be resolved the way it did.

Yeah, yes

(DR2 spoilers)
Writing off the entire ending because the characters asspull themselves out of a comically absurd set up is such a blatant misread. Like, the entire set up... Junko's return, the characters being trapped between graduation or staying behind, their past actions—all of it was in service to the game's theming. (ie: your future isn't defined by the mistakes you've made in the past + loving yourself is more than being talented.) Resolving Junko's dilemma, are you actually serious? The whole thing was just overwhelmingly dire, but the final chapter was never about the actual logistics of what went down (which was flippant and stupid), but the feelingsaid circumstance evoked. The equivalent would be graduating from school and being crushed by anxiety about the future.

Now I wonder how that ties back into these High School students.

Yeah, yes

(DR2 spoilers)
Writing off the entire ending because the characters asspull themselves out of a comically absurd set up is such a blatant misread. Like, the entire set up... Junko's return, the characters being trapped between graduation or staying behind, their past actions—all of it was in service to the game's theming. (ie: your future isn't defined by the mistakes you've made in the past + loving yourself is more than being talented.) Resolving Junko's dilemma, are you actually serious? The whole thing was just overwhelmingly dire, but the final chapter was never about the actual logistics of what went down (which was flippant and stupid), but the feelingsaid circumstance evoked. The equivalent would be graduating from school and being crushed by anxiety about the future.

Now I wonder how that ties back into these High School students.

Nah.

In a series like Danganronpa where the
"Ultimate Despair" is a high schooler girl who literally ended the world, the "oh it was about the cast's FEELINGS" argument holds no water. The series played it totally literal with regards to stuff like this until that point, so I do find it stupid and frustrating that the whole dilemma was just handwaved away.

I do like the game's messages of "You're more than your talent" and "Past mistakes don't have to define your future", I just don't like the way it was conveyed by making the story contradict itself.

I think the solution would, indeed, have been to not introduce the "teehee you can stay here forever OOOOR revive all the Ultimate Despairs" dilemma altogether.

kewlmyc

I'm pretty much done with DR after V3, barring a fighting game spinoff

Dear god, between you and Levito saying the same thing about being done with this franchise, I'm super worried.

Just how bad can this twist be? Gonna have to marathon this game as quickly as possible next week.

PK Gaming

Nah.

In a series like Danganronpa where the
"Ultimate Despair" is a high schooler girl who literally ended the world, the "oh it was about the cast's FEELINGS" argument holds no water. The series played it totally literal with regards to stuff like this until that point, so I do find it stupid and frustrating that the whole dilemma was just handwaved away.

I do like the game's messages of "You're more than your talent" and "Past mistakes don't have to define your future", I just don't like the way it was conveyed by making the story contradict itself.

I think the solution would, indeed, have been to not introduce the "teehee you can stay here forever OOOOR revive all the Ultimate Despairs" dilemma altogether.

Yeah

It's precisely because we're presented a universe where a teenage girl ended the world that makes the ending work. Why can you readily accept Junko's ability to influence and end the world with her Despair, but can't fathom the possibility of the protagonist's graduating AND keeping their memories with their Faith? Even though the game deliberately tears down the power Hope and Despair in favor of emphasizing the importance of having faith in one's self? I don't know how else to put it. Taking umbrage with one asspull (when the entire game is built on ludicrous asspulls) just seems silly, especially when the asspull in question has so much build up and meaning baked into it.

And your suggestion makes 0 sense. Why would you remove you the central conflict of chapter 6?

EDIT:

Dear god, between you and Levito saying the same thing about being done with this franchise, I'm super worried.

Just how bad can this twist be? Gonna have to marathon this game as quickly as possible next week.

No, I'm actually fond of DRv3 when all's said and done. I'm just done in the sense that I'm satisfied with the franchise and not particularly looking to experience another killing game.

daevious

I want to remind you that PK actually likes that plot twist.

EDIT: Beaten to it, but yeah.

Yeah

It's precisely because we're presented a universe where a teenage girl ended the world that makes the ending work. Why can you readily accept Junko's ability to influence and end the world with her Despair, but can't fathom the possibility of the protagonist's graduating AND keeping their memories with their Faith? Even though the game deliberately tears down the power Hope and Despair in favor of emphasizing the importance of having faith in one's self? I don't know how else to put it. Taking umbrage with one asspull (when the entire game is built on ludicrous asspulls) just seems silly, especially when the asspull in question has so much build up and meaning baked into it.

And your suggestion makes 0 sense. Why would you remove you the central conflict of chapter 6?

I don't exactly "readily accept" the whole Junko deal, in fact, I really don't care much for Danganronpa's general lore to this day for that reason.

The comparison I'd draw between the two twists isn't exactly "They're both asspulls"- One's extremely contrived, the other's downright self-contradictory. So that's why I don't view them the same way. I mentioned it because of how literal it is in DR lore, as opposed to how you first argued that the only part of Chapter 6 that really mattered was the figurative, emotional aspect of the ending.

I think the message would've been better conveyed if the game didn't break its own story to convey that self-confidence leads to happiness. I acknowledge that the whole reason Hinata's self-confidence can trigger a plot hole was probably to emphasize that message in the first place, but "we needed to contradict the story to get you out of this situation" is not the sort of writing or reasoning I appreciate. It instead paints the power of self-confidence as fanciful. That's my take on it, anyway.

The reason I suggested removing the "Stay behind/Graduate" choice (or changing it) was because I don't see it as central to the plot as the themes of "self-confidence leads to happiness" and "you're more than your talent". I think the significance of those themes should've been emphasized and brought to a climax in another way rather than that choice.

With all that said, though, thank you. I do appreciate the ending more now thanks to you, but the ending itself still has little effect on me due to its execution.

Lusankya

Yeah

No, I'm actually fond of DRv3 when all's said and done. I'm just done in the sense that I'm satisfied with the franchise and not particularly looking to experience another killing game.

Isn't Kodaka tired of Danganronpa as well? I mean unlike Ace Attorney with it's more traditional murder mystery setting it's hard to come up with a new story which still includes trapped students in a killing game.

I am also really exciting to learn what all the fuzz is about the twist/ending. Usually I am fine with this kind of devisive stuff.

kewlmyc

They just got done naming their team "Team DR" or "Team Danganronpa". Would be funny to stop making games right after doing that.

PK Gaming

I don't exactly "readily accept" the whole Junko deal, in fact, I really don't care much for Danganronpa's general lore to this day for that reason.

The comparison I'd draw between the two twists isn't exactly "They're both asspulls"- One's extremely contrived, the other's downright self-contradictory. So that's why I don't view them the same way. I mentioned it because of how literal it is in DR lore, as opposed to how you first argued that the only part of Chapter 6 that really mattered was the figurative, emotional aspect of the ending.

I think the message would've been better conveyed if the game didn't break its own story to convey that self-confidence leads to happiness. I acknowledge that the whole reason Hinata's self-confidence can trigger a plot hole was probably to emphasize that message in the first place, but "we needed to contradict the story to get you out of this situation" is not the sort of writing or reasoning I appreciate. It instead paints the power of self-confidence as fanciful. That's my take on it, anyway.

The reason I suggested removing the "Stay behind/Graduate" choice (or changing it) was because I don't see it as central to the plot as the themes of "self-confidence leads to happiness" and "you're more than your talent". I think the significance of those themes should've been emphasized and brought to a climax in another way rather than that choice.

With all that said, though, thank you. I do appreciate the ending more now thanks to you, but the ending itself still has little effect on me due to its execution.

How is Hajime and co rejecting Junko's assertion that they'll lose themselves self-contradictory? How is that a case of breaking the story, when the story is doing nothing but building up to it? We're talking about a case where Hajime literally turned Super Saiyan and Chiaki appeared to him in a vision despite previously dying; it's not that the figurative moments are more important, they're the only things that matter.

I get where you're coming from, but your take's too cynical for my taste. Like these kids spend the entire game (and arguably their entire lives) being controlled, and the one moment they break from that constitutes as an asspull? Really, because Junko and her stupid magic program said so? It's not like the mechanics where intricately led out here either. The ending wasn't a "betrayal" of the game's lore, since they always played it fast and loose with it.

Also no prob, bob. I played the ending during a point in my life where I needed it, so I'm really fond of it. It's pretty much why I abhor DR3, since it does everything in its power to destroy what made the ending great.

Isn't Kodaka tired of Danganronpa as well? I mean unlike Ace Attorney with it's more traditional murder mystery setting it's hard to come up with a new story which still includes trapped students in a killing game.

I am also really exciting to learn what all the fuzz is about the twist/ending. Usually I am fine with this kind of devisive stuff.

I'm pretty sure that's the case. I think he even said something to that effect post release.

How is Hajime and co rejecting Junko's assertion that they'll lose themselves self-contradictory? How is that a case of breaking the story, when the story is doing nothing but building up to it? We're talking about a case where Hajime literally turned Super Saiyan and Chiaki appeared to him in a vision despite previously dying; it's not that the figurative moments are more important, they're the only things that matter.

I get where you're coming from, but your take's too cynical for my taste. Like these kids spend the entire game (and arguably their entire lives) being controlled, and the one moment they break from that constitutes as an asspull? Really, because Junko and her stupid magic program said so? It's not like the mechanics where intricately led out here either. The ending wasn't a "betrayal" of the game's lore, since they always played it fast and loose with it.

Also no prob, bob. I played the ending during a point in my life where I needed it, so I'm really fond of it. It's pretty much why I abhor DR3, since it does everything in its power to destroy what made the ending great.

I think I might be being too cynical about this indeed.

I still contend that "Junko was lying/didn't know/the dilemma wasn't really a dilemma" isn't a valid excuse. However, perhaps I should see it as Kodaka playing it fast and loose this time to bring the figurative aspects of the narrative to the front instead of providing a (pretty shitty) excuse for DR1's backstory. I think I might need to reconsider that, so thanks again.

I guess I'm just jaded about stories where the protagonist/main cast defeats the villain by shouting them down with inspiration/ Power Of Friendship/ et cetera. I think the main reason I'm lukewarm at best on DR2's ending is because of how it reminds me of cliché-ass anime confrontations.

Not sure if that feeling holds up objectively, though. That's just the way I feel.

BTA

If the above is a V3 spoiler (and not a joke like I expected) you really should have fucking labeled that or just not responded.

If it is, I'm dumb for staying in this thread at this point and at least it's not clear what it means (though I now have guesses) but please clearly indicate what you're talking about when you tag.

kewlmyc

Yeah, I was going to respond how I was not going to read it, but I forgot quoting a spoiler shows you the spoiler.

Eh, I'm out until the game comes out.

Zeroro

Saw the first few minutes of V3 through that NicoB video (he sure yells a lot).

Super inconsequential thing at the start, but still:
how in the holy hell did NISA manage to have a typo before the game actually even starts? It's right there in big letters in the opening movie, lol.

Lusankya

Saw the first few minutes of V3 through that NicoB video (he sure yells a lot).

Super inconsequential thing at the start, but still:
how in the holy hell did NISA manage to have a typo before the game actually even starts? It's right there in big letters in the opening movie, lol.

Uhm, I don't think you need to spoiler tag stuff like that.
I mean who will be angry because they learned of a typo in the game's intro beforehand?

60€ on Steam is nuts when I can get it physical on PS4 for 55€. And 35€ on Vita.

I think I'll get it on Vita, all my first playthroughs of previous games were there. But where the hell is the digital Vita version? I can't find it...

Lol, I was literally halfway through typing out a message wondering if I should have gotten an email about my LE shipping out by now, but the I randomly just decided to check again and saw that I got the email confirmation.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Got the email about 2 hours ago saying my points for the NISA store were updated, & it seems I have a tracking number now, so guess it shipped.

& thank goodness, USPS says it should arrive Tuesday. I want to be able to keep up with all of the OT reactions because it becomes a pain trying to remember what page has spoilers for which chapters when I want to go back & read reactions from others.

Are there notable improvements to UDG on PS4, or is it fine sticking with the Vita version I already own?

(And don't just tell me not to play the game at all)

Top Bottom