• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Spoiler Thread - Farewell, spoiler tags of despair!

don't worry you still have a whole additional game, several novels, and incoming sequels to go

ALSO TOP OF THE PAGE TURN BACK

tumblr_n0tfplU4Ey1qhhv13o1_500.png

... I just finished...

So... what's the outside world???
They don't show it??
WHAT THE FUCK?
That was the biggest goddamn non-ending ever.

At least in VLR, they explained WHY they were
on the goddamn moon.
Then again, this is Chunsoft.

Well, my Vita now needs to charge. After that, onward to school life and trophy completion.

I will never find enough Monokuma coins...

Danganronpa Zero explains some things, and I assume the sequel(s) explain more.

pariah164

don't worry you still have a whole additional game, several novels, and incoming sequels to go
My body is ready.

That was an amazing game though. Looking forward to playing again. I do wish they made executions for other characters though. I imagine Chihiro's and Hifumi's would have been interesting.

Okay, Chihiro TECHNICALLY got one thanks to Alter Ego but.

Zettai Zetsubou Shoujo - Dangan Ronpa Another Episode will probably also explain more things since it takes place between 1 and 2. Or raises more questions. Either or.

Zero goes into the memory erasing thing and the beginning of the despair event that I have no idea how they localized, while 2 goes into more detail of that and Ultimate Despair.

They don't show it??
WHAT THE FUCK?

Technically they did show it. Junko never lied, all that footage was real. I'm assuming we'll get a better look in that shooter midquel thing they're doing with Naegi's sister.

Roto13

... I just finished...

They don't show it??
WHAT THE FUCK?

At least in VLR, they explained WHY they were
on the goddamn moon.
Then again, this is Chunsoft.

Well, my Vita now needs to charge. After that, onward to school life and trophy completion.

I will never find enough Monokuma coins...

Yeah, the ending wasn't really satisfying. I guess some people made everyone on earth sad and the world ended? There are too many important details missing for me to accept that.

pariah164

Yeah, the ending wasn't really satisfying. I guess some people made everyone on earth sad and the world ended? There are too many important details missing for me to accept that.
I seriously thought that Monokuma/Junko's thing about the world outside ending was bullshit. And that it was normal outside, since life itself can be full of despair and trouble. Buuut I got no confirmation for that. Dammit Chunsoft.

Without any spoilers from 0 and 2 that really matter, it actually was (still spoilered in case you people want to not know absolutely anything)
a social movement started and manipulated by Junko from the shadows that escalated and escalated and escalated until it got too big for anyone to be able to do something about it and turned into complete anarchy.

Noi

Had me screaming internally for a good hour.

12471200153_e783da59dc_c.jpg

Also god damn, looking up any art for Toko or Junko before I beat the game would have gotten me instantly spoiled on stuff. The internet can be such a curse sometimes.

It's one of those things that are just kinda hilarious in a dark way but then when you think about it is horrifying as fucking hell.

And on the subject of executions, good god Junko is a fucking superhuman surviving up until the Detention part. I guess you could argue that she "lowered the intensity" of the other executions, but all things considered I'm going with she's a superhuman >_>

pariah164

Also god damn, looking up any art for Toko or Junko before I beat the game would have gotten me instantly spoiled on stuff. The internet can be such a curse sometimes.
I didn't understand it at first. Then I watched it again on YouTube and laughed. It's just so ridiculous. A Chunsoft staple.

And on the subject of executions, good god Junko is a fucking superhuman surviving up until the Detention part. I guess you could argue that she "lowered the intensity" of the other executions, but all things considered I'm going with she's a superhuman >_>

In a way, it seemed like she was mocking all the people that died by execution, as if to say "hah, this tame shit killed you?" But yeah, probably intensity-lowering or something. I mean, it was treated pretty comedically until the end, so it might as well have not even existed in the same realm as the other ones. And that's even when you ignore the logic issues with stuff like the rocket one.

AniHawk

Without any spoilers from 0 and 2 that really matter, it actually was (still spoilered in case you people want to not know absolutely anything)
a social movement started and manipulated by Junko from the shadows that escalated and escalated and escalated until it got too big for anyone to be able to do something about it and turned into complete anarchy.

so all those '-1 humanity' threads in the off-topic just kept piling up and no one noticed until it was too late?

Noi

so out of curiosity, I started watching the first episode of the animation, which starts with the same opening as the game. I'd completely forgotten that even existed, but watching it again made me realize who that person was, what the significance of him turning into bones was and reminded me why Junko even had that rocket ship execution as part of her own punishment (which again, I'd forgotten happened at all).

I'm already anxious to go at it again to see what else I missed.

pariah164

yo, can you put a few more blank lines in your post? The next post quoted an end game spoiler, which would be sad if someone clicked in and saw it.
This is the SPOILER thread. It's for people who have finished the game that want to talk about it without spamming the OT with spoiler-covered text. For non-spoiler related talk, go to the OT. It's located here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=763079

so out of curiosity, I started watching the first episode of the animation, which starts with the same opening as the game. I'd completely forgotten that even existed, but watching it again made me realize who that person was, what the significance of him turning into bones was and reminded me why Junko even had that rocket ship execution as part of her own punishment (which again, I'd forgotten happened at all).

Yeah, it's really easy to miss stuff in the game the first time through. But that's the point!

yo, can you put a few more blank lines in your post? The next post quoted an end game spoiler, which would be sad if someone clicked in and saw it.

Ah, right. I posted that mobile and meant to go back and edit in some Bikini Monokumas but forgot.

Anyways, echoing the sentiment that the ending is pretty lame. My reaction the first time was sorta "... That's it?" too. In the context of all Danganronpa media I suppose it's fine, but in a vacuum it's just sorta nonsensical and really leaves you hanging.

Also, one question that's been bugging me was how did Hifumi end up learning Celeste's real name? I don't think it was ever mentioned how he knew, and it seems really unlikely that she would tell him.

Ah, right. I posted that mobile and meant to go back and edit in some Bikini Monokumas but forgot.

Anyways, echoing the sentiment that the ending is pretty lame. My reaction the first time was sorta "... That's it?" too. In the context of all Danganronpa media I suppose it's fine, but in a vacuum it's just sorta nonsensical and really leaves you hanging.

Also, one question that's been bugging me was how did Hifumi end up learning Celeste's real name? I don't think it was ever mentioned how he knew, and it seems really unlikely that she would tell him.

You know that cliche about getting amnesia with a really hard hit to the head and then doing the same to get your memory back?

The whole "despair" thing going on outside is pretty silly tho. I just enjoyed the hapenings within the academy and intend to enjoy DR2 too but I'll be very surprised if they can shape the "main plot" into something interesting.

BgAPXcbCMAAifPT.jpg

It's one of those things that are just kinda hilarious in a dark way but then when you think about it is horrifying as fucking hell.

It's more funny when you realize they did a full run of past executions for Junko was cause they ran out of budget to give her a new one so they just ran with redoing the old ones.

Yeah, it's pretty weird how the first execution of the game is pretty important but is usually just seen as a weird intro and seems tame compared to upcoming executions.

Roto13

I still don't get it. What was that about?

... I just finished...

They don't show it??
WHAT THE FUCK?
That was the biggest goddamn non-ending ever.]
Well, I'm pretty sure the point was to reiterate the whole hope/despair concept. You can hope that she made everything up and outside is normal, or despair about what happened to the world. I found it quite fitting.

By the way, I didn't realize that thing about the bones in the intro. That's awesome.

pariah164

Well, I'm pretty sure the point was to reiterate the whole hope/despair concept. You can hope that she made everything up and outside is normal, or despair about what happened to the world. I found it quite fitting.

By the way, I didn't realize that thing about the bones in the intro. That's awesome.
I realized it when I saw the bones in the box. I was like. "Wha...? Oh... OH OH GOD THAT'S TERRIBLE!"

Houk

NISA
I realized it when I saw the bones in the box. I was like. "Wha...? Oh... OH OH GOD THAT'S TERRIBLE!"

When I was first working through the game, this and the comment about how people had tried to come and rescue them multiple times, only to be gunned down at the school gates, probably filled me with more despair than any other part of the game.

Just...jesus christ.

When I was first working through the game, this and the comment about how people had tried to come and rescue them multiple times, only to be gunned down at the school gates, probably filled me with more despair than any other part of the game.

Just...jesus christ.

BgAPXcbCMAAifPT.jpg

AniHawk

i think the bones in the box was the darkest part of the game for me too. it puts the intro into a completely darker light, since kyoko's dad is/was the last obstacle before the despair sisters began tormenting the remaining students.

overall i appreciated the claustrophobic feel of the game, and i think it does it better than virtue's last reward did it. i like vlr a lot, and most of it because it really tries to be something more than just a visual novel and play with video game tropes and bring a little pseudo science into the mix. the end product is messier though, and very inspired by danganronpa. in the end, if i have to choose between the two, i think danganronpa edges it out for being just a well-made production without any hiccups. i did find it really easy a lot of the time (either the mechanics or figuring out a lot of the secrets behind the various mysteries before the game explained them), but i forgive it for the slick presentation and interesting characters.

i still prefer 999 to it though. that was a game that felt more grounded, and the situation the protagonists in more oppressive. the plot twists were incredibly unique, too.

anyway, i'm about 9/14 out of the school mode endings. 600 monocoins. i'll probably platinum this over the weekend. i've only 100% platinumed/achievemented four games prior to this, i think.

pariah164

d5167-98-753723-2_thum500.jpg

Whoever designed these figures was fucked up
I love it.

Is there one for Celeste?

Also, oof, Houk. Yeah, that. All my feels. Seriously, this just needs to be called "Gut-punch: The Game"

AniHawk, how do you get so many coins in school mode? I ended the game with 361 coins in the count and haven't started school mode yet. I tend to be a failget when it comes to finding coins so.

AniHawk

I love it.

Is there one for Celeste?

Also, oof, Houk. Yeah, that. All my feels. Seriously, this just needs to be called "Gut-punch: The Game"

AniHawk, how do you get so many coins in school mode? I ended the game with 361 coins in the count and haven't started school mode yet. I tend to be a failget when it comes to finding coins so.

you have to build every monokuma type. once you build warlockuma (the final monokuma), you get 200 coins.

it's also how you get the school mode endings. so don't use your trip tickets if you messed up and couldn't get a monokuma built. just use the free time to max out the report cards. you should be able to get about 3 endings per playthrough. the only endings i have yet to see are for sakura, celeste, mukuro (as junko), kyoko, and hina.

pariah164

you have to build every monokuma type. once you build warlockuma (the final monokuma), you get 200 coins.

it's also how you get the school mode endings. so don't use your trip tickets if you messed up and couldn't get a monokuma built. just use the free time to max out the report cards. you should be able to get about 3 endings per playthrough. the only endings i have yet to see are for sakura, celeste, mukuro (as junko), kyoko, and hina.
Oh nice. Okay, I'll focus on maxing report cards first more than likely anyway.

AniHawk

Oh nice. Okay, I'll focus on maxing report cards first more than likely anyway.

yeah, considering the way school mode works, i recommend just making cheat sheets and cleaning maestros since it's hard to grab everything the first time through anyway.

NotLiquid

In terms of the ending being an anti-climax, I don't think that is the case. Sure, I wanted to see more of the world outside, but the most important takeaway from the resolution of the characters was that it didn't matter what the state of the world was, if it was in any way real or if the situation was that serious. The main point of the ending was that the characters had overcome their despair and that no matter what the future had in store for them, they'd fight to make the world a better place.

There are a lot of aspects of the plot I have a harder time to swallow than say, 999. But much like 999, from what I understand the sequel ends up expanding on a lot of things explored in the predecessor while still being it's own game.

Top Bottom