• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2 Beta Footage

Satsuki in NG+ is wayyyy worse than this wench, who's easily backstabbed after she whiffs. Satsuki is a bitch who grasses. :(

Yup. He one shot kills, dead angles with his katana and grasses as soon as his health gets low or even half way. Bitch!

Satsuki was fairly easy not like this fine lady over here...
bp-meat-cleaver.jpg

Nah man. NG+ he is so much worse.

Oh fuck no.

Dat Havels armour lol.

But it's not really great game design. The punishment for failure is the loss of progress and souls, why make it harder on top of that?

I'm guessing you haven't played Demons souls. It made sense there. FROM should punish people who are too scared to come online or provide incentives to come online. In DeS you had half health unless you were human. Its a bit less severe here where you only have lower health if you keep on dying (?).

You only loose your souls if you die twice and progress is never lost as you keep items, and learn how to fight better and the path. Its basically adding more severity in death which is a good thing.

jimi_dini

But it's not really great game design. The punishment for failure is the loss of progress and souls, why make it harder on top of that?

You don't really lose progress. You keep items, weapons and stuff.
You also don't lose souls, unless you don't manage to get to your last point again.

In Demon's Souls, even the worlds themselves got harder and harder the more you died. I hope that feature returns as well. I loved it.

Death reduce hp and stacks? What if you run out of humanity?

"You died". over and over and over again. Unless you get better at the game.

Vlade

As was said, you don't lose progress - keeping items is a big deal. Mini-bosses stay dead and other environment changes stay done. Dieing really costs you very little. having a difference between being human and hollow adds a lot of fun for me.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

FROM you beasts! This is more like Demons DSouls which I love. Black phantoms are finally as threatening as they were in Demons souls and NPC phantoms hnnnnnng. I hope we get a phantom as hard as this guy:

bp-satsuki-large-rear.jpg

I've always felt that the AI got dumbed down in Dark souls. The phantoms didn't seem aggressive at all.

Also invaders can estus hahahaha gankers am cry.
HYpe is through the roof now.

Satsuki was so fucking good.

Yup. He one shot kills, dead angles with his katana and grasses as soon as his health gets low or even half way. Bitch!

w7e2QO9.png

VALKYRAY

Banned
What happens if you get cursed? Instant below half? Maybe 25%?
Also arrow weights means no bow only challenge no bow only build.

Thanks for the link.

Rings have weight... what.

Brotherhood of Blood... badass

I really like that red phantom enemies seem to be more prevalent.

Sounds like it's somewhere between Dark Souls & Demon's Souls. Instead of immediately getting the 50% health penalty for dying like you would in Demon's Souls, you get a smaller one that stacks. And there's a cling ring equivalent, too. Now there's actually an obvious reason for going human unlike Dark Souls, and it's not as harsh as Demon's.
Burden for rings and arrows is weird though. I mean I carry 999 of those shits.

Oh, that's good to know. Does it offset as much as the original, or is that still unknown?

ElFly

I don't mind rings having weight, but arrows? ugh, that means I can no longer mindlessly buy a hundred arrows just in case.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I like that sword and that move set, but is there a reason it sounds like a waterfall is exploding every time he hits a guy? Is it some kind of water elemental sword? If that's just supposed to be the sound of bloody mayhem, they fucked up a little.

(btw, video works for me and I'm in the US.)

I'm slightly grossed out by how fast dude is swinging such a large weapon.

Dex815

I'm avoiding to watch any videos, I just want to know one thing, do we know if these are still in the game?

JeNPG.png

NBtoaster

I'm guessing you haven't played Demons souls. It made sense there. FROM should punish people who are too scared to come online or provide incentives to come online. In DeS you had half health unless you were human. Its a bit less severe here where you only have lower health if you keep on dying (?).

You only loose your souls if you die twice and progress is never lost as you keep items, and learn how to fight better and the path. Its basically adding more severity in death which is a good thing.

I've played Demon's Souls. It didn't make much sense there, but this mechanic seems worse.

Imagine if you've cleared an area, and just want to kill the boss. You keep dying to the boss, and will keep making it harder. Many people will want to have the best shot at killing the boss, which could involve lots of farming to get whaever it is to make your health normal again. It could get very tedious.

I'm avoiding to watch any videos, I just want to know one thing, do we know if these are still in the game?

JeNPG.png

I need more of these comics, bloody hilarious they are.

Also god damn 4-2, most annoying god damn stage ever before I wiki'd how to get the ring of fog. Flying manta ray fuckers, makes the Anor Londo archers seem like freshly scented daisies by comparison.

ijed

Also arrow weights means no bow only challenge no bow only build.

well if your idea of "challenge" is to shoot 100 arrows at every enemy while out of their aggro range then I think there's a lot more tweaks From has made to stop this than just giving arrows weight.

Though in DeS you could easily carry a few hundred arrows and the open world of nature of DaS means you could run back to a merchant and stock up if you ran out so a legit bow only build still sounds feasible

I will hopefully get some hands-on time at EB Expo this Friday, which is an Australian gaming expo. Pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty pumped.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
relating to my other post, dont get me wrong i know why these games are hard, ive completed both demon and dark souls in past. just feels like the things they are changing / doing isnt following the normal route and i think things will be more cheap deaths instead of being your fault

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Arrows now having weight is probably the biggest nerf archery could've possibly gotten.

But then again, DEX-based archery in Demon's Souls was powerful as fuck despite having weight.

Arrows having weight? Ouch. It's probably very small, but still, that'll hurt. lol

I reckon I used arrows a total of 5 times in 3 play-throughs. That being said, I always had them equipped because the quivers looked swag on your person.

And let's be honest, Dark Souls is 95% about looking swag, guys.

Zukuu

Banned
I dunno how I like some of the changes. You have soo many stats now, agreed PvP level will not below 150 I wager.

Vitality
Vigor
Endurance
Agility

+Strength or Dex or Attunement and Int or Faith

Additionally, bow characters will have increased burden.

I'll probably end up with a Dex character, as I want to use a Spear at all costs.

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
I need EpicNameBro's big papa analysis on the Dark Souls II Beta RIGHT NOW!

Zukuu

Banned
Wait, is equip load now a hard limit? E.G. You can equip up to XXkg and nothing beyond, but having 0 or max equip won't change your speed, since it's now tied to agility stat?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
So...apparently there are some changes regarding armor

My sources are this video and this image of the stat page. Go slowly on the video or you will miss it. It's on the bottom left. I hadn't seen these things elsewhere, but someone else might have seen them before I did.

- Armor now has stat requirements. In the video I posted, the warrior class armor set requires 13 strength. The duelist armor doesn't have any stat requirements. Interestingly, there were dex, int, and faith stat icons as well. Looks like armor will be more specialized this time around.

- Armor now has resistance scaling. The warrior class armor scales at a higher rate than the duelist armor. Heavier armors will no doubt scale better with resistance. Resistance might even be useful this time, especially since you don't get a huge amount based on soul level anymore.

If these changes are indicative of changes to the rest of the game, twinking will be gone and character progression(instead of item progression) will be much more important. I think this idea fits with what the developers have said in interviews, that freedom and choices will be more important. How you choose to level up your character will have a much greater impact on how your character plays out.

More here

daniels

Hmm will be interesting how the new usefulness of the resistance stat will work on the highest new game+ difficult...i can only imagin if it is still usefull at ng7 that it is overpowered in early games? Or it ends up useless on ng+ and the stat points are a waste again at that point? Or maybe the stat scales with ng+ ?

Sun

Neo Member
If these changes are indicative of changes to the rest of the game, twinking will be gone and character progression(instead of item progression) will be much more important. I think this idea fits with what the developers have said in interviews, that freedom and choices will be more important. How you choose to level up your character will have a much greater impact on how your character plays out..

I think the balance they had in DkS with the progression being based more on personal skill & item progression than on character progression was working very well to bring "you" into the game, instead of an avatar.

I kind of liked that + the challenges of doing low level character runs - they had some kind of unbalanced balance which was "yours", the player, to solve & manage - but still, perfectly doable.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This game looks soooo good, but no ps4 port makes me sad. :(

I just keep telling myself that there has to be one... I mean, right?

These days I look over at my PS3 with a sort of disgust lol.

Top Bottom